Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church (32537 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Ladies Disclose Worst Things A Pastor Said About Women In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Liams24(m): 4:23pm On Jul 30, 2017
paulabdeel:
Can you cover your head without covering your hair and vice versa?
Help me ask her!
She makes me confuse d most.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by ApBlaze10: 4:25pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
I am glad that today I better understand the culture, historical context, limited knowledge of those Hebraic people living in Northern Palestine 3000 years ago who came from a polytheistic tradition and choose Yahweh as their primary deity (as he was a war God) in their desperate goal to become a great nation.
In times of prosperity and peace, they always slipped back into polytheism. Whenever their ass was handed to them in battle by the far greater empires around them, they felt it was Yahweh punishing them for not being devoted only to him and re-affirmed their commitment to him. The Babylonian Exile cemented this for the last time and they became 100% monotheistic, out of deep regret, shame, desperation for favor. That was when they wrote most of the Old Testament to affirm this.
Once I understood their experience is THEIR experience and realized it has NOTHING to do with MY experience, nor should I put THEIR experience above that of any other culture as ABSOLUTE truth, it was very freeing.
A people's epic retelling of their "Birth of a Nation", often with a mythological mix of fantastical events with bits of actual history, is JUST THAT. It is sad it has been given prominence to the point of erasing other people's cultures and their ancestral stories, because of Christian colonialism.

the Bible says whatsoever were written aforetime (old testament) were written for our learning....now it happened to them so we can learn from their mistakes.

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Fearlez: 4:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covere

The covering of the head isn't by the hair.

You conveniently overlooked the the excerpt above: " if the woman be not covered, let her be shorn or shaven!

So the Bible clearly meant the hair and not the head.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Jasy(m): 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2017
See what[color=#990000][/color] buhari has caused!!! cry cry cry cry
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by TherWasACountry: 4:29pm On Jul 30, 2017
paulabdeel:
Can you cover your head without covering your hair and vice versa?
Exactly
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Rahym001(m): 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2017
sister, you are misinterpreting the bible meet ur pastor for advise
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by froland: 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2017
@hopefulLandlord I can only say all those things 'historical event' were written for us to learn from and to serve as guide to the living GOD. You don't have to believe it, it is the truth. Too much studying has blindfolded u
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Perfectionist11: 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2017
Hehn. ...cover their hair and miss the opportunity to showcase their new hairstyle in church?... it won't work jor!.. do you even think that any religious congregation is complete without the participants showcasing how fashion conscious they are?..leave us jare!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by hysteriabox(m): 4:36pm On Jul 30, 2017
0b100100111:
Even in Israel, There women cover there head.

Was so in Nigeria before Pentecostal churches nullified the doctrine!
Emm... please research ko. It was d men of Israel that covered their head while praying. Google is your friend
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by hopefulLandlord: 4:36pm On Jul 30, 2017
froland:
@hopefulLandlord I can only say all those things 'historical event' were written for us to learn from and to serve as guide to the living GOD. You don't have to believe it, it is the truth. Too much studying has blindfolded u

too little studying is why you believe the son of a Jewish carpenter killed in a small Israeli village aeons ago was dying for your (Nigerian) sins when the Jews themselves don't believe that crhap

there are even far more Muslims in Israel than there are Christians and that is saying a lot

Religion in Israel (2014)
Judaism (75%)
Islam (17.5%)
other/unknown (4%)
Christianity (2.0%)
Druzism (1.5%)

these guys who's ancestors lived during Jesus time didn't believe he was dying for them but a Nigerian read from a book and quickly concluded the Jews are wrong

its like saying you know Buhari more than those that are interacting with him because you read punch newspapers

question everything bro, even yesterday's "truths", don't believe something because you're afraid of "too much studying"

5 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by CAPSLOCKED: 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
I am glad that today I better understand the culture, historical context, limited knowledge of those Hebraic people living in Northern Palestine 3000 years ago who came from a polytheistic tradition and choose Yahweh as their primary deity (as he was a war God) in their desperate goal to become a great nation.
In times of prosperity and peace, they always slipped back into polytheism. Whenever their ass was handed to them in battle by the far greater empires around them, they felt it was Yahweh punishing them for not being devoted only to him and re-affirmed their commitment to him. The Babylonian Exile cemented this for the last time and they became 100% monotheistic, out of deep regret, shame, desperation for favor. That was when they wrote most of the Old Testament to affirm this.
Once I understood their experience is THEIR experience and realized it has NOTHING to do with MY experience, nor should I put THEIR experience above that of any other culture as ABSOLUTE truth, it was very freeing.
A people's epic retelling of their "Birth of a Nation", often with a mythological mix of fantastical events with bits of actual history, is JUST THAT. It is sad it has been given prominence to the point of erasing other people's cultures and their ancestral stories, because of Christian colonialism.

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by CAPSLOCKED: 4:39pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

too little studying is why you believe the son of a Jewish carpenter killed in a small Israeli village was dying for your (Nigerian) sins when the Jews themselves don't believe that crhap

there are even far more Muslims in Israel than there are Christians and that is saying a lot

Religion in Israel (2014)
Judaism (75%)
Islam (17.5%)
other/unknown (4%)
Christianity (2.0%)
Druzism (1.5%)

these guys who's ancestors lived during Jesus time didn't believe he was dying for them but a Nigerian read from a book and quickly concluded the Jews are wrong

its like saying you know Buhari more than those that are interacting with him because you read punch newspapers

question everything bro, even yesterday's "truths", don't believe something because you're afraid of "too much studying"
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Dasgoro: 4:41pm On Jul 30, 2017
The bible does not promote gender inequality.

Gal.3:28-29
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by hysteriabox(m): 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 30, 2017
1 Timothy 2:9
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
This place shows that women ouought to cover there head when they are in the presence of God Almighty. 1 Peter 3:3
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

This place also support that. The problem with so many so called Christians today is that they don't understand what they read or reading the bible on the surface. Don't you know that the Word of God is Spirit and u won't understand if you don't have the spirit of God in you.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by kokomilala(m): 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2017
Op,you took only the logos of the WORD and ran away with it gleefully,thinking to justify your not covering your hair.You failed to see the rhema of the WORD.Like others have said,is it possible to separate the hair from the head?The two are intricately joined.If you look at the beginning of that scripture closely
,Paul already gave the answer,which is-women should have their hair covered when praying to God.For me,I think some women just want to show off their artificial piece of vanity at such solemn moments of communion with God.But,such vanities are despicable to God.At least,for that moment in time,their heads should be covered in deference to God.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by fabre4: 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

Its physical. Why I laid emphasis on the head its because people mistaken the head for hair

Can u shave your head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by tommiesyn: 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an age long argument among some denominations over the covering of “head” or “hair” by women when in church or when praying or performing any spiritual activity.

The anchor scripture in the Holy Bible Christians used for this law as written by Apostle Paul is 1 Corinthians 11 : 2 – 16.

Now, let us look at this portions of the bible with KJV and NIV to see if the Bible really restricted women from going to church or performing any spiritual activities with their “head” or “hair” uncovered.

1 Corinthians 11 : 5 -6 "5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. " - (KJV).

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

Again let's look at verses 13 – 15 of the scripture.

“13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." – (KJV)

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

From the above scriptures, the Bible made it clear that a woman who performs any spiritual activity with her “head” uncovered have dishonored her head therefore dishonor her creator. Also the hair of a woman is the woman’s glory and the Bible have made it clear that her “hair” is for the covering of her “head”.

My question now is; did the Bible command women to cover their “hair” while praying? NO.

There’s no place in the Bible that says a woman should cover her “hair” while praying. Please note the two English words “Head” and “Hair”. In the scriptures above, the Holy Bible has repeatedly made it clear that a woman should cover her “head” and not “hair”.

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

Therefore, I stronger oppose the believe that it’s wrong for a woman to go to church or pray with her hair uncovered because the Bible never say so.

A Woman can pray to God with her hair open as long her head is covered with her hairs.

Source: http://brainnewsng.com/what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-their-head-to-church/

1 Corinthians 11:4-7
[4]A man dishonors his head if he covers his head while praying or prophesying.
[5]But a woman dishonors her head if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head.
[6]Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering.
[7]A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God’s image and reflects God’s glory. And woman reflects man’s glory.

Dear ma, covering the head in context means both the "head" structure and the hair.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by amyuba(f): 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
I marvel at the way people keep quoting and misinterpreting bible passages just for their own convenience. If it's ur belief, hold onto it. Don't call blue black and expect everyone to tag along.

3 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by SmartyPants(m): 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
Have you checked that various translations say the same thing?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Phi001(m): 4:54pm On Jul 30, 2017
The real question here is who gave Paul the authority to decide these things?

If those guys of old had not selected Paul's letters, it would not have been in the Bible...
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
kokomilala:
Op,you took only the logos of the WORD and ran away with it gleefully,thinking to justify your not covering your hair.You failed to see the rhema of the WORD.Like others have said,is it possible to separate the hair from the head?The two are intricately joined.If you look at the beginning of that scripture closely
,Paul already gave the answer,which is-women should have their hair covered when praying to God.For me,I think some women just want to show off their artificial piece of vanity at such solemn moments of communion with God.But,such vanities are despicable to God.At least,for that moment in time,their heads should be covered in deference to God.

Am glad you said that. Indeed its the spirit of God that gave you that wisdow to understand what that text truly mean. God bless you. Case is closed. As long as I have just one person saying what am saying, am OK with that. Op, may God remember you and grant you wisdom, Amen. Am done.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by obailala(m): 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an age long argument among some denominations over the covering of “head” or “hair” by women when in church or when praying or performing any spiritual activity.

The anchor scripture in the Holy Bible Christians used for this law as written by Apostle Paul is 1 Corinthians 11 : 2 – 16.

Now, let us look at this portions of the bible with KJV and NIV to see if the Bible really restricted women from going to church or performing any spiritual activities with their “head” or “hair” uncovered.

1 Corinthians 11 : 5 -6 "5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. " - (KJV).

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

“13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." – (KJV)

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

From the above scriptures, the Bible made it clear that a woman who performs any spiritual activity with her “head” uncovered have dishonored her head therefore dishonor her creator. Also the hair of a woman is the woman’s glory and the Bible have made it clear that her “hair” is for the covering of her “head”.

My question now is; did the Bible command women to cover their “hair” while praying? NO.

There’s no place in the Bible that says a woman should cover her “hair” while praying. Please note the two English words “Head” and “Hair”. In the scriptures above, the Holy Bible has repeatedly made it clear that a woman should cover her “head” and not “hair”.

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

Therefore, I stronger oppose the believe that it’s wrong for a woman to go to church or pray with her hair uncovered because the Bible never say so.

A Woman can pray to God with her hair open as long her head is covered with her hairs.

Source: http://brainnewsng.com/what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-their-head-to-church/

My dear you completely contradicted yourself with this post; you quoted 2 bible verses but your conclusion was the exact opposite of the verses quoted.

"...For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off..."

A close look at the above sentence tells me that the 'head' being talked about already has hair on it; else, the verse wouldnt have gone further to say you might as well cut off the hair if you dont want to cover it.

The instructions from those verses are very very clear and there's absolutely no ambiguity over the 'head vs hair' issue as you claim. The instructions are very clear, cover your head (hair) when engaging in spiritual activity; if you dont want to cover it up, then shave off all your hair.

There might be some other verses somewhere which permits women to leave their hair open, but it's certainly not those two verses you quoted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by pterson(m): 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2017
OP is a deluded end-time Christian. Simple word of God written, they will still try to twist it... SMH
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Lovine: 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2017
Can a woman pray while taking her birth? Can a man pray while putting on a helmet? Yes yes yes, God is a spirit and we are all naked before Him. So what you put on when you pray does not matter but your heart and your relationship with Him.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by trinity11(m): 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
Make una undstd the OP

What the Op is trying to say is very simple

If you as a woman has hair, then u dnt need to worry abt covering it,

But if you barb African queen,(Moromoro) then you need to cover it.

Op am I correct
kontinuuuu o
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by anyebedgreat: 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Nailed it bro. Give me a reference for further reading if you can please.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by chiscodedon(m): 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

All I can say...

2nd Timothy 4 : 3 - For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but instead, according to their own desires, they will gather to themselves teachers, with itching ears,
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by johnlegend01: 5:03pm On Jul 30, 2017
You got it totally wrong. The hair is what should not be exposed.
God help you.... God help us

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2017
Montaque:

I am yet to know what you have against his jnterpretation of the verses. The advice was to cover head, not hair. A woman with a grown hair has her head already covered.
Check the thread, I have already given the answer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"62-Year-Old Lady Gives Birth After 7 Years Of Pregnancy" - Facebook User Claims / Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.