Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action (2787 Views)

'Buhari’s Likely AGF Has High-caliber Fraud Suspects, Accused Terror Mastermind' / Tinubu Denies Sending SMS Canvassing Votes For Jonathan, Threatens Court Action / New Wikileaks Revelations Implicates Aondoakaa, Julius Berger Etc. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by bobosunny: 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
Prof. Dora Akunyili, Minister of Information and Communications, has given the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mike Kaase Aondoakaa, seven days to refute a libelous statement he allegedly made about her, or face prosecution.Aondoakaa is quoted as saying of Akunyili, who last Wednesday called on the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to reconsider its position on Umaru Yar'Adua's ability to continue in office, “Let her go confront herself with what happened in NAFDAC,” suggesting impropriety against his colleague. Aondoakaa is known to be one of those within the cabinet who feel the Vice-President should not serve as Acting President, the very issue that Mrs. Akunyili's memo to the FEC addresses. 

In an interview published in yesterday's edition of The Nation newspaper, Aondoakaa described Akunyili as "self-seeking" and "trying to make herself an angel and a cheap hero".

Firing back, the Special Assistant to the Information Minister,  Orji Ogbonaya Orji, said Mrs. Akunyili would not dignify such a statement with a response, noting that "no amount of intimidation" could change the Minister's faith in constitutionality regarding the need for Yar’Adua to transmit a letter to the National Assembly.

"We wish to caution that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones because when you point a finger at your perceived enemies, the other four are pointing at you," he said. 

Following the publication of Mr. Aondoakaa's comments yesterday, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP) ,  and the Centre for Civil Rights Research and Education (CCRRE), separately gave Aondoakaa seven days to substantiate his allegations against Mrs Akunyili, in the interest of the fight against corruption, or face prosecution. 

The CNPP warned Aondoakaa that as the chief law officer of the federation, he should not use his position to protect Mrs. Akunyili, while the CCRRE suggested that Aondoakaa is simply part of a "campaign of calumny" against Mrs Akunyili.
In the CCRREE which was issued in Abuja by its Executive Director, Chijioke Kanu,  he warned Aondoakaa: "Nigerians will definitely ask questions on the billions of Naira spent on the failed prison decongestion of the Ministry of Justice … and demand explanations to those blocking the prosecution of corrupt politicians."
Coming at the same time as today's developments at the National Assembly, and just hours before the next FEC meeting, observers say that meeting will be the most interesting FEC meeting in many years.

http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5109-nafdac-corruption-allegations-akunyili-gives-agf-aondoakaa-seven-days-to-recant-or-face-lawsuit.html
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by bobosunny: 7:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
Aondoakaa! aondoakaa!! Aondoakaa!!! Your days are numbered!!!!
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Beaf: 7:30pm On Feb 09, 2010
That guy is too stup!d to even know where Seme border is. Jail awaits him for forgery.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by snowdrops(m): 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2010
And these are supposed to be amonsgt the highest office holders in the country, trading insults at each other like children in a play ground. They are both bringing the names of the offices to disrepute and in respectable society they would both tender their resignations.

But heyho, this is nigeria where anything goes.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by rethink: 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
@snowdrops

If you dont have anything to say please keep quiet and just stay at the place where you are. There are people of intergrity in Nigeria. because I am a minister does that mean I cannot respond to an accusation?

Where is the childisness here?

What is it about anything goes?

Dont say rubbish you cant defend.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Luvlgenius(m): 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2010
snowdrops:

And these are supposed to be amonsgt the highest office holders in the country, trading insults at each other like children in a play ground. They are both bringing the names of the offices to disrepute and in respectable society they would both tender their resignations.

@ Snowdrops Did you read the post at all?
the Special Assistant to the Information Minister,  Orji Ogbonaya Orji, said Mrs. Akunyili would not dignify such a statement with a response, noting that "no amount of intimidation" could change the Minister's faith in constitutionality regarding the need for Yar’Adua to transmit a letter to the National Assembly.
Does this connote insult in anyway?

@ Poster As d AGF Aondoakaa ought to be aware of the Tortuous offense called defamation,  I wonder what he is seeking to protect? If you ask me i think he is the one seeking cheap popularity, Anyway with the recent development in the house, it is obvious his advise is inconsequential
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by snowdrops(m): 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
rethink:

@snowdrops

If you dont have anything to say please keep quiet and just stay at the place where you are. There are people of intergrity in Nigeria. because I am a minister does that mean I cannot respond to an accusation?

Where is the childisness here?

What is it about anything goes?

Dont say rubbish you cant defend.
Luvlgenius:

@ Snowdrops Did you read the post at all?
the Special Assistant to the Information Minister, Orji Ogbonaya Orji, said Mrs. Akunyili would not dignify such a statement with a response, noting that "no amount of intimidation" could change the Minister's faith in constitutionality regarding the need for Yar’Adua to transmit a letter to the National Assembly.
Does this connote insult in anyway?

@ Poster As d AGF Aondoakaa ought to be aware of the Tortuous offense called defamation, I wonder what he is seeking to protect? If you ask me i think he is the one seeking cheap popularity, Anyway with the recent development in the house, it is obvious his advise is inconsequential

Are both of you proud to be lead by people like these? I dont care who is right or wrong amonst them. Does their behaviour befit the high office they hold? They are supposed to be in the same cabinet, same government and same party. Yet are trading insults and threatening each other in public. And yes they ought to do the homourable thing and resign or get fired so they can sought out their personal differences.
Luvlgenius and rethink are brains so atrophied that you are complacent with second class government officials. I can now see why financial and intellectual poverty is endemic in nigeria with you both as stark examples. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by egift(m): 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
snowdrops:

What are you talking Is it her fault that a "fake" AGF may falsehood? Or you thought Dora is a chicken like those your heros.

Dora cannot and should never allow this Aondoakaa to soil the clean records she have worked so hard to earn.

@ Post:
Aondoakaa have to understand power pass power. Ugly for him the boat has turned. And did he notice that reputable establishments have to respond to him? Like her aid said, Dora response will make him look tangible.   cool

http:///nigerian-senate-votes-to-empower-goodluck-jonathan.html
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by vigasimple(m): 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
I think AGF Idonkia is on cheap drug made from combination of Ibori stolen money and burukutu from Benue state otherwise he will mind his language.

I am very certain now that the man did only manage to go to a night law school where he was reading law books upside down.

His statement are fully loaded for a chief law officer, libel/defamation , and aiding and abetting 'a known criminal' if he is suggesting Mrs. Akunyili has done something wrong, why don't you prosecute her?

I know why, he can't even prosecute Ibori's and co. All he can do is rule of law and due process nonsense to chase away our only government and politicians thief catcher- the only and one RIBADU.

AGF Idonkia would have been in jail by now if RIBADU is at the EFCC, that is why the do nothing, cluelesee, offshore President connive with AGF idonkia to fire RIBADU through the back door and threathen the guy's life to make sure he stay in exile.

Idonkia judgement day will be here soon, once Goodluck is properly seated.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
Now that jonathan has been made an acting president the first assignment i expect of him is to sack aandoaka ( attorney general) cos d man is a disgrace to naija and d law profession. For d ignoble roles he played in yaraduas AWOL and stalling d prosecution of corrupt politicians he must be prosecuted!
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by chuxy12(m): 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2010
the hunter has become the hunted. Allahu Akbar! grin
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
Dora Akunyili should not get in the gutter with this guy. He is a drowning man and looking for who to take down with him

Dora just keep mum, play the much silent politics you can in the FEC. There will be enough time to sort out Aondoakaa when this battle is over.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by chuxy12(m): 9:46pm On Feb 09, 2010
plz nothing like playing it silently. this guy shud be humiliated and bullied around like a squirrel . His cup is full. i would love to see that guy in jail or fleeing like a fugitive . angry angry angry
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 09, 2010
I think to best approach to rest these squabbles and crass indiginty , the office of AGF and Minister of Justice has thereto generated, is to seperate the two functions combined on one individual, so that one who handles each, could tell his duty to the people and that to his employer (govt), cos i know that AGF has little or no business with the govt. He is entirely responsible to the people. That explains the vast and unlimited power, the constitution has entrusted on him. From the foregoing, we can concur that Aondoaaka has been in grave difficulty in differentiating the onerous duty he owe to the nation and those he owe to the govt. He has find it quite impossible to please the people while displeasing the govt. This is b/c he prefers to perform the function of the justice minister than AGF. I know that we here,will be in the same crossroad if given these two duties combined in one. In most developed democracies, the AGF is a single office. Notwithstanding all these, Anodoaaka, should be summarily relieved of his duty. His services has all been a total disservice to the nation.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by kuramo: 10:04pm On Feb 09, 2010
The dishonourable attorney general Annnnddddoooaaaaka was on CNN about an hour ago spewing out the usual rubbish , he did say that the budget appropriation bill was signed by moribund Yar 'Dead in Saudi Arabia in the presence of Yar 'Dead's principal secretary David Edevbie .

The real truth is Edevbie never saw the moribund President and we all know the President's signature was forged by the wicked Turai and the equally corrupt Taminu Yakubu / Andoakkkkkka.

Jonathan must sack Andooooookkkka and the rest of the so-called kitchen cabinet for his own sake once he becomes the substantive acting President, otherwise he will lose credibility and the confidence of the whole country.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Gbawe: 10:04pm On Feb 09, 2010
chuxy12:

the hunter has become the hunted. Allahu Akbar! grin

Indeed. Akunyili , upon realising that the ship is sinking , has chosen to swim rather than sink. Aondoakaa , with his overt disrespect for Jonathan,  is in real trouble. Whatever her motives , Akunyili did the right thing . What she did was very brave when one considers that some male members of the FEC harboured similar opinions yet they remained too scared to speak publicly as Akunyili has done.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by drpompay(m): 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
Its a pity instead of u guys 2 commend snow, All u do is castigate him, no wonder nigeria will never move 4ward. If dora wants to trash out issues with dat HE-GOAT of an AGF why issue a public statement(directly or indirectly),dat puts both of them in same position. Like i said before "A PIG IS ALWAYS A PIG" no matter d circumstances,also "U DONT ARGUE/WITH A MAD MAN PUBLICLY LEST PEOPLE WILL NOT BE ABLE 2 TELL D DIFFERENCE"
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Luvlgenius(m): 11:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
@ Snowdrops 
snowdrops:

Are both of you proud to be lead by people like these?

Judging by the numerous awards and accolades Akunyili have received over the years (both locally and internationally)for her exemplary services to Nigeria as a nation, yes, i am very proud she is a member of FEC, though i cannot say the same about Aondoakaa. The fact that she spoke up when most of the ministers ignored the blatant abuse of the rule of Law makes her an Icon.

It is not against the law for a person to defend him or herself whenever a defamatory statement(slander or libel) is made against that person. Silence connotes consent and you have a right to bring an action against the person who made the defamatory statement , no matter your or his position in society. It goes to prove that you are a person of integrity.

[b]Luvlgenius  and  rethink are brains so atrophied that you are complacent with second class government officials. I can now see why financial and intellectual poverty is endemic in nigeria with you both as stark examples. shocked shocked shocked

I m finding it so hard to understand why people like you cannot argue sanely without using swear and offensive words. How did you reach the conclusion that we are examples of  financial and intellectual poverty or that our brains are atrophied?  Your opinion is sooooo immature and obviously retarded. To be sincere you are beginning to sound like Aondakaa because my response to Poster does not in anyway show complacency.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by becomricch: 2:49am On Feb 10, 2010
.Aondoakaa should not offer an apology to Dora. .Aondoakaa is right. Dora was doing this because she want to be president. .Aondoakaa is right. she can go to court.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by deluxecad(m): 3:51am On Feb 10, 2010
Aondoakaa should be sacked, prosecuted and jailed for all his libelous and thoughtless remarks so far. His cup is full and now spills over. Corruption incarnate!
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Pifa: 5:11am On Feb 10, 2010
If Dora Akunyili was offended by the AG’s comments, she can sue in court for defamation, although I think she has little chance of winning. To win a defamation case, she will have to show that she was materially injured by the AG’s comments (this is US Defamation and Libel Law, but I don’t believe it will be much different in Nigeria). The injury can be to her reputation, or in form of job loss, job denied or mental anguish, but not to her vanity or ego. The mental-injury argument may work for a lay person who was defamed, slandered or libeled by an authority such as the AG. But it will be a tough sell for a public official who, the court will say, should be accustomed to public criticisms of her person and her work.

The AG was expressing an opinion – opinion is a recognized defense in defamation cases – which could be construed as insensitive, sexist, crude or crass, but nevertheless insufficient to establish defamation in court. A public figure such as Akunyili may also be required to show that the AG’s comments were made with malice and intent to defame. Defamation cases brought by government officials are difficult to win because of the requirement to show actual malice. And because Nigerian has freedom of speech enshrined in its constitution, Akunyili will effectively be asking the court to gag the AG from voicing his opinion about her that she may not like.

If the AG had falsely accused Ms. Akunyili of falsifying her academic qualifications, for example, that would be making a statement of fact rather than an opinion and would be sufficient to establish defamation or libel. The material injury in this case would be to her reputation.

The Information Minister is doing nothing more than the civilian equivalent of saber rattling. There is nothing she can do about Aondoakaa’s unflattering comments about her other than complain to their boss.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by Godalone(m): 7:55am On Feb 10, 2010
Mike your days are counting down.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by rasputinn(m): 8:09am On Feb 10, 2010
Andoakaa's days are numbered,no not that he'll be sacked by Jonathan,I really pray he dies soon,he's one of the strong enemies of this country,whom I've prayed for their deaths
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by desgiezd(m): 9:09am On Feb 10, 2010
Dora should sue this Aondo[b]wanka[/b] and go the whole hog, about time someone teaches him a hard lesson.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by MrCrackles(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2010
Aondoaka is fast becoming a nuisance. . . .
If super-coons like him wont shut the fu/ck up or put an end to his numerous shady activities, then i think its time Satan sends for the vagabond. . angry
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by dustydee: 9:14am On Feb 10, 2010
rasputinn:

Andoakaa's days are numbered,no not that he'll be sacked by Jonathan,I[b] really pray he dies soon[/b],he's one of the strong enemies of this country,whom I've prayed for their deaths
I didlike him but dont pray for his death.Pray that God will put him to shame.And that he will live to suffer and reap the fruits of the seeds he has sown.Is he an SAN?God have mercy on our Educational and judicial system. cry
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by desgiezd(m): 9:24am On Feb 10, 2010
^^ I cant stop wondering how Yar Adua was able to tolerate this man
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by mikkyrazzy: 9:59am On Feb 10, 2010
This Aondoakaa guy shuld b flogged, and disgraced out of office. One day is coming when he'll look back and regret all he did.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by sammyzacks(m): 10:06am On Feb 10, 2010
I won't be surprised if Aondoaka is absent at today's FEC meeting.
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by smooooooth: 10:16am On Feb 10, 2010
aondoaka is the most stupid public officer we have had since independence. his entire family shld be ashamed of him, he is a disgrace!!!!
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by nethacker(m): 10:19am On Feb 10, 2010
are we sure this aondoaka of a guy(quacked lawyer turned AGF) doesnt need to be taken to the psychiatric hospital ? i no understand d guy again ooo embarassed he needs jail
Re: Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action by sirt1(m): 10:28am On Feb 10, 2010
Pifa:

If Dora Akunyili was offended by the AG’s comments, she can sue in court for defamation, although I think she has little chance of winning. To win a defamation case, she will have to show that she was materially injured by the AG’s comments (this is US Defamation and Libel Law, but I don’t believe it will be much different in Nigeria). The injury can be to her reputation, or in form of job loss, job denied or mental anguish, but not to her vanity or ego. The mental-injury argument may work for a lay person who was defamed, slandered or libeled by an authority such as the AG. But it will be a tough sell for a public official who, the court will say, should be accustomed to public criticisms of her person and her work.

The AG was expressing an opinion – opinion is a recognized defense in defamation cases – which could be construed as insensitive, sexist, crude or crass, but nevertheless insufficient to establish defamation in court. A public figure such as Akunyili may also be required to show that the AG’s comments were made with malice and intent to defame. Defamation cases brought by government officials are difficult to win because of the requirement to show actual malice. And because Nigerian has freedom of speech enshrined in its constitution, Akunyili will effectively be asking the court to gag the AG from voicing his opinion about her that she may not like.

If the AG had falsely accused Ms. Akunyili of falsifying her academic qualifications, for example, that would be making a statement of fact rather than an opinion and would be sufficient to establish defamation or libel. The material injury in this case would be to her reputation.

The Information Minister is doing nothing more than the civilian equivalent of saber rattling. There is nothing she can do about Aondoakaa’s unflattering comments about her other than complain to their boss.

Are u a barrister? just curious about ur post. It makes sense though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 - Our Best 11? / Stellah Oduah Purchased Two Oil Vessels For Patience Jonathan / A Firsthand Experience On Nigerian Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.