Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,316 members, 7,780,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:40 PM

Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 (4401 Views)

DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years / Donald Duke Will Become The President Of Nigeria One Day / Donald Duke Blasts Buhari For Appointing Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DG SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 31, 2017
You heard it here first on Nairaland before it gets out
Yesterday the former Governor declared his interest to run for the coming week rooms in a closed door meeting with other past governor's and some currently serving senators.

A reliable source disclosed that Duke currently had the backing of two former presidents of the Federal Republic who will bankroll this campaign and offer all other support needed

Find below a brief manifestos and profile

Donald Duke was born on September 30, 1961 at 16 Annesley Street, Calabar, Cross River State of Nigeria, to the family of Mr. Henry Etim Duke and Mrs. Genevieve Etim Duke. He is the fourth child in the family of five children. His father, Mr. Henry Duke, was the Chairman of the Board of Customs and Excise (now The Nigerian Customs Service) between the years 1967 and 1975.

His first foray into the Nigerian political arena was a successful Cross River state governorship bid in 1999, as a founding member of People’s Democratic Party. At 38, Donald Duke was the youngest governor in the country and the capital city of Calabar presents a compelling case study in his process of translating forward-thinking vision into tangible reality, in spite of unfavourable odds. The structural rehabilitation of the tourism, agricultural and education sectors betray a fastidious commitment to excellence and a sensitivity to potential at its ripest and most impactful. The challenges of Nigeria are complex and many-headed, and the path to recovery begins with those same earnest steps he walked as governor, the same motivations which led him to formulate agendas that catered to Cross River’s least privileged, to put work in their hands and electrify homes that had stayed too long in darkness.

In a tribalised country split across fiercely held ethnical lines, Donald Duke’s educational background and considerable private sector experience cuts across the entire country. Born and partly educated in the Eastern region, he attended Secondary School and bagged a law degree in the Northern region, received professional training in the Western region and completed his education in the University of Pennsylvania, USA. In the private sector, he ran a Lagos-based law firm, Onyia & Duke, where he garnered extensive hands-on knowledge of the Nigerian judiciary system. He later assumed full management of the family’s shipping business when he became Chief Executive of Hegeds International Limited, a primer into the intricate workings of running a multifaceted international organization in a competitive industry. Duke represents the archetypal detribalised Nigerian; beyond ethnicity, language, arbitrary borders, the Nigerian who is first, Nigerian.

Donald Duke understands the importance of a major bloc of the country’s demographic, the youth, in deciding the fate of country. His close affiliation with The Future Project and its Nigerian Symposium for Young and Emerging Leaders highlights this perceptive understanding. He will continue to work closely with this bloc to understand their needs and desires. His relatively youthful age bracket and progressive stance on key policy and social issues favourably positions him as a strong alternative for an agitated youth demographic to rally behind in their quest to wrest power from apathetic old guards.

Finally, his public and private sector stints across the country has driven broad networking opportunities and consequently, a peerless Rolodex of influential Nigerians and Africans. All of whom will answer, in a multitude of ways, when called upon.

In an era in which centuries-old alliances are tested, nation-states reconfigured, and much of the post-colonial world is left in a state of upheaval. The questions we have taken for granted as a people rear up at every turn with greater urgency, as we continue our slow, beleaguered stride to meaningful nationhood. But these unique times call for different hands, different eyes. A Donald Duke presidency is an idea whose time has come

Source ;http://2019nigeria.org.ng/dukes-profile/

CC lalasticlala seun mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by taylor88(m): 10:35am On Jul 31, 2017
great
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by smartty68(m): 10:35am On Jul 31, 2017
What's really breaking about the news when he had already declared interest in running for presidency some months back cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 31, 2017
smartty68:
What's really breaking about the news when he had already declared interest in run for presidency some months back cheesy

Babangida is behind him now

Don't say I told you
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 10:56am On Jul 31, 2017
He doesn't have ideas to run this country not good enough. He governed a state and didn't produce 16 million jobs for his state with oil money he should go back to the hospital. He doesn't have ideas that can move this country forward at all.
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by smartty68(m): 11:00am On Jul 31, 2017
Lakeside79:

Babangida is behind him now

Don't say I told you
Lol
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by NeeKlaus: 11:01am On Jul 31, 2017
As long as he picks Peter Obi as his running mate, then it's all good. Let's see if Obi's purported frugality can move this country forward.
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 31, 2017
He will make a decent President but he has been out of the game for too long

I am rooting for Saraki
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by limeta(f): 11:30am On Jul 31, 2017
Which Nigeria again you want be president
This one don finish abi
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 31, 2017
slimfit1:
He doesn't have ideas to run this country not good enough. He governed a state and didn't produce 16 million jobs for his state with oil money he should go back to the hospital. He doesn't have ideas that can move this country forward at all.

Are you kidding me ?

Please outline his failings as a governor let the rest of us learn something undecided

So who is better ? Buhari again?

Okay tell us your preferred candidate ?
undecided

8 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by jom28gy(m): 11:53am On Jul 31, 2017
He is equal to the task.let him run.i support.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by 989900: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2017
One of my favourites.

My favourites (not in any particular order):

Fashola
Peter Obi
Osinbajo
Donald Duke
Tinubu
Ambode
Obiano
Kachikwu
Sheu Sani
Amosun
Ali (customs)

P.S. The above might not necessarily be election winners, but they are proven performers, some known for their frankness and frugality.
I kinda believe though that for the country to move forward in terms of nationwide development you need someone who has handled the more tribally diversed states with high GDP -- their job experience fits the job description . . . if any multi national were hiring for this position, they wouldn't look past them Lagos boys (ex Lagos state governors).

#opinion

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2017
Lakeside79:

Are you kidding me ?

Please outline his failings as a governor let the rest of us learn something undecided

So who is better ? Buhari again?

Okay tell us your preferred candidate ?
undecided

We need a leader that can fight our challenges he can't too sweet. He would want to please everyone like Jonathan. We need someone fresh not him. Fashola as low as I rate him is far more better than him.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Taeewo(m): 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2017
Primary he no go win let alone secondary
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Chiaka(f): 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2017
I prefer Senator Ben Bruce he is articulate and modern.
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by NobleAngell(f): 12:41pm On Jul 31, 2017
Pls he is free to run. The floor is open for everyone to run. We have been selecting who we wanted and they are ruling in absentia. Now our eyes are clear. Any interested candidate pls express your interest.
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Queenext: 12:59pm On Jul 31, 2017
NeeKlaus:
As long as he picks Peter Obi as his running mate, then it's all good. Let's see if Obi's purported frugality can move this country forward.
can we chat?

I need little info from u
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2017
slimfit1:

We need a leader that can fight our challenges he can't too sweet. He would want to please everyone like Jonathan. We need someone fresh not him. Fashola as low as I rate him is far more better than him.

Wow

Pls based on what metrics do you score FASHOLA higher ?

And how did you arrive at the assertion that he would try to please everyone to the extent you even compared him to the legendary ineffectual buffoon?

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 31, 2017
Who Duke epp embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by ProjectNaija(m): 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2017
As it stands today, Donald Duke is probably the best presidential material we have in this country as he stands heads and shoulders above his peers and contemporaries in terms of experience, performance, intellect, track record and orientation. I will not only vote for him but use my resources to campaign massively for him.

10 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2017
Lakeside79:

Wow

Pls based on what metrics do you score FASHOLA higher ?

And how did you arrive at the assertion that he would try to please everyone to the extent you even compared him to the legendary ineffectual buffoon?

Infrastructures in Lagos and job creation . Donald should just concentrate on is bike he is not fit for a big position as that. Apart from mono rail and tinipa or something nothing else even still nothing came out of it.
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2017
slimfit1:

Infrastructures in Lagos and job creation . Donald should just concentrate on is bike he is not fit for a big position as that. Apart from mono rail and tinipa or something nothing else even still nothing came out of it.

You sound sentimental bro let's deal with facts , is anyone here from cross Rivers who can please verify that Donald did no meaningful projects in the state during his tenure ?

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2017
Lakeside79:

You sound sentimental bro let's deal with facts , is anyone here from cross Rivers who can please verify that Donald did no meaningful projects in the state during his tenure ?

8 years in government with billions to work with, let see what anyone can show me that I would be impressed with.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2017
I don't hate Akuyili would have been my favourite but she is late now. Donald is a good man but we need a strong character not another clueless one.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by SweetJoystick(m): 2:32pm On Jul 31, 2017
No be if Nigeria still remain come 2019?
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by slimfit1(m): 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2017
989900:
One of my favourites.

My favourites (not in any particular order):

Fashola
Peter Obi
Osinbajo
Donald Duke
Tinubu
Ambode
Obiano
Kachikwu
Sheu Sani
Amosun
Ali (customs)

P.S. The above might not necessarily be election winners, but they are proven performers, some known for their frankness and frugality.
I kinda believe though that for the country to move forward in terms of nationwide development you need someone who has handled the more tribally diversed states with high GDP -- their job experience fits the job description . . . if any multi national were hiring for this position, they wouldn't look past them Lagos boys (ex Lagos state governors).

#opinion

Ali but he will be hospitalised like Buhari we need someone that can face spiritual aspect that this job requires . It is corruption that is fighting with Buhari not cancer, I'm sure we all know that Jah Jehovah .
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by rusher14: 2:44pm On Jul 31, 2017
Lakeside79:

[b]Though the Obudu ranch was built well before his coming, he forged a workable partnership with private investors as managers. It gradually became a romantic site of visit as a result.

Water - the area of rural water supply was one in which Duke excelled. Not only did he provide handpumps to communities that suffered issues of electrification he also provided solar powered pumps in such place as the Afi Ranch in Buanchor, Northern Cross River.
It is worthy to note many a fire service station was without potable water, this he provided complete with overhead tanks and generators in most cases within his state.

Wildlife conservation - Prior to his governing of the state, most apes were hunted with reckless abandon. Hid government ensured edicts were made and it is now illegal to be found with the remains of Pandrilus monkeys and Gorillas which were a common feature in the past.

Culture and tourism - we all know about the annual carnival in Calabar which he's been a great ambassador of. It has provided the platform for many artistes to mingle with their fans, it fosters peace in the community whilst putting Calabar on the bucket list of revelers during the yuletide season.

Rural electrification - many communities were without connection to the national grid - no poles, no cables, no transformers. I can recall travelling from Ogoja to Calabar having been away for a little while only to be greatly surprised by a community on the Highway just before Ikom which had previously been anonymous to me, being sufficiently lit to encourage a new night life brimming with activity.

He established Crutech made up of well spreadout campuses along the length and breadth of the state, ensuring that other parts of Cross River benefited from the commerce, warmth and educational upliftment associated with such institutions.

Agriculture - I'm aware of a castor seed project which he championed for his state. The present status of the castor seed project is not known to me.

He was charismatic, forward thinking and certainly a visionary.

He works with a level of sophistication which the country desperately needs.

Can he be elected? Not likely - except he makes the ticket as the vice, by so doing, putting his name in the consciousness of the electorate. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 31, 2017
Shebi independent candidacy don dey?

No more PDP vs APC primary excuse

Anyone who wants to be Prisident can do an Emmanuel macron

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2017
rusher14:

[b]Though the Obudu ranch was built well before his coming, he forged a workable partnership with private investors as managers. It gradually became a romantic site of visit as a result.

Water - the area of rural water supply was one in which Duke excelled. Not only did he provide handpumps to communities that suffered issues of electrification he also provided solar powered pumps in such place as the Afi Ranch in Buanchor, Northern Cross River.
It is worthy to note many a fire service station was without potable water, this he provided complete with overhead tanks and generators in most cases within his state.

Wildlife conservation - Prior to his governing of the state, most apes were hunted with reckless abandon. Hid government ensured edicts were made and it is now illegal to be found with the remains of Pandrilus monkeys and Gorillas which were a common feature in the past.

Culture and tourism - we all know about the annual carnival in Calabar which he's been a great ambassador of. It has provided the platform for many artistes to mingle with their fans, it fosters peace in the community whilst putting Calabar on the bucket list of revelers during the yuletide season.

Rural electrification - many communities were without connection to the national grid - no poles, no cables, no transformers. I can recall travelling from Ogoja to Calabar having been away for a little while only to be greatly surprised by a community on the Highway just before Ikom which had previously been anonymous to me, being sufficiently lit to encourage a new night life brimming with activity.

He established Crutech made up of well spreadout campuses along the length and breadth of the state, ensuring that other parts of Cross River benefited from the commerce, warmth and educational upliftment associated with such institutions.

Agriculture - I'm aware of a castor seed project which he championed for his state. The present status of the castor seed project is not known to me.

He was charismatic, forward thinking and certainly a visionary.

He works with a level of sophistication which the country desperately needs.

Can he be elected? Not likely - except he makes the ticket as the vice, by so doing, putting his name in the consciousness of the electorate. [/b]

Beautiful

Can you see this ? slimfit1

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by 989900: 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2017
slimfit1:

Ali but he will be hospitalised like Buhari we need someone that can face spiritual aspect that this job requires . It is corruption that is fighting with Buhari not cancer, I'm sure we all know that Jah Jehovah .
cheesy
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by 989900: 3:48pm On Jul 31, 2017
slimfit1:
I don't hate would have been my favourite but she is late now. Donald is a good man but we need a strong character not another clueless one.

Akuyili is the best by a long mile. We all miss her.
Life is cruel: Akuyili is late, but Diezani is alive
. sad

Akuyili's patriotism and intelligence is unrivaled -- if alive, I would have voted for her ahead of any of my other favourites. In my view, she is a younger, female, more detribalised, refined, PhD version of PMB (they are both patriots and less corruptible by far).

About Donald, I don't think he is weak ( OBJ actually passed over him for the IB cause he knew Duke was no pushover). That said, I think any Lagos state governor, even Marwa is a better fit than Donald ( no love lost for the Duke though -- he is still one of my favourites).
Re: Breaking News : Donald Duke Will Run For President 2019 by successmatters(m): 3:53pm On Jul 31, 2017
I will vote for him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Change Logo After SARS Killing / Gunmen Abduct 6 People In Adamawa / Classified Info: Buhari Set To Declare A State Of Emergency In All 5 SE States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.