Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? (10835 Views)

666 VS BVN: Another Clash Between Science And Religion / The Fundamental Error Of Atheists And Other Bible Unbelievers / These Are The Fundamental Beliefs For A Human Being (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 2:42pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

Yes. Richard Dawkins. He was formerly Professor for Public Understanding of Science at Oxford, and in that capacity wrote a number of books in which you will find references to things being supernatural.

Please provide us with some notable examples, and then oblige us as well (if you may) of any scientific work about the supernatural that he has conducted in his capacity as a scientist, not as an atheist. Thank you.

First you will have to address what Krayola declined to address specifically, and explain what you mean by "supernatural in the scientific sense."

I would first like to respect Krayola's simple statement so that I do not risk putting words in his mouth. Now do kindly attend to my request in precisely as you find it written in that portion of my quote there. I find it more than strangely out of this world that you would be asking me to do this assignment for you whereas you have been sounding far too confident that Dawkins has scientific work on the 'supernatural'. That, indeed, is simply a mechanical evasion of some sorts to the simple request I made.

I believe that he sees them as ideas that conflict with current scientific thinking.

Science, as you may well know, my gentle sir, is not predicated on "ideas that conflict with current scientific thinking". Dawkins' personal take on what he has not scientifically studied is not science - I hope that is quite simple enough to understand?

He advocates that such ideas have no place for discussion in science classes.

You have ended up destroying your own argument. The whole point is this: "Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?" Dawkins, as we know, has no credible study on the supernatural that you have been able to exemplify. His arguments against the 'supernatural' is not science, and he makes such arguments as an atheist rather. I hope you are not trying ever so hard to gull the public between the two? Now, if you know of any works of Dawkins on the 'supernatural' that he has conducted and published as a professional scientist (not as an atheist) in a scientific journal with scientific results for the scientific community, could you sinequanon show us clear examples of such? That would be far much helpful than going round and saying nothing in this regard thus far.

He says that there is a 99.99999999% chance that God does not exist, so the existence of God should not be discussed in the science class.

Does he say that as an atheist or as a scientist?

He also doesn't like the idea of intelligent design and suggests that its merits and demerits should not be investigated in the science class.

I am not here about intelligent design - that could also be argued outside of the ambit of religion, an example being systemics. Let's do the KISS here (k[/b]eep [b]i[/b]t [b]s[/b]imple [b]stupid) and not begin to draw upon unnecessary illations at this point. I would like for you to attend on the point above, thanks.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:

k[/b]eep [b]i[/b]t [b]s[/b]imple [b]stupid

We can continue to discuss once you have retracted and agreed to refrain from this sort of language.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Krayola(m): 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

smiley

Calm down, please. I chose a definition for you, from the selection you gave, because you declined to do so yourself. You said any definition would do for you. Now, please run with it and be bold and explicit instead of hinting darkly about some murder or other.  grin

You will recall that I worded my definition differently.

haha. I'm calm o. Me I juss dey play.  smiley

You definition was, IMO, begging the question, BIG TIME!!! you claim supernatural only exists relative to science, and then offer a definition, one that does not occur in any dictionary I can find, that defines supernatural directly as a "function" of science. I don't know what you take us for here, but please stop it. PLEASE!! Science has little to nothing to do with the origin or use of the concept of the supernatural. The concept of the supernatural, IMO, more likely has to do with the concept of the divine. . . . Belief In God's and  other non- physical agents being able to affect/alter events, or natural phenomena. Hence the existence of rituals and appeasement of deities LONG LONG before science came around. There was, IMO, obviously already a clear distinction between the mundane and the sacred, the seen order and a believed unseen order, the natural and the supernatural.

As long as you acknowledge that the definition you gave is YOUR definition, and does not denote the word "supernatural", your definition is fine with me as long as it is used in expressing what YOUR OWN PERSONAL opinion is. . . an opinion you are entitled to have. But that your definition is IMO, not valid outside of your opinion.

sinequanon:

"Unexplainable" is in your definition. You confidently asked me to choose one for you out of your list. Now you have to make sense of it.

The definition was from a dictionary. It isn't identical, or even similar, to the one you gave. There may be a definition out there that describes supernatural as a "function" of science, but I have not seen it. The definition that makes little sense to me is the one you gave. I don't accept it as valid, but I respect your right to hold your opinion. I'm not debating your opinion with you. I'm debating an absolute assertion that you made in refuting an argument from another poster. That the concept of the "supernatural" ONLY exists relative to science. That is what we are trying to make sense of here. What the dictionary says is pretty clear.

sinequanon:

IMO, there is something awry with your interpretation. You seem to suggest that there is a possibility that something unexplainable has a residual chance of being explained.

I try not to make "absolutist" statements. SO even though I don't believe in the supernatural, I don't dismiss the possibility of the supernatural. Even though I don't believe the unexplainable can be explained, I wont dismiss the possibility of the unexplainable being explained. . .as silly as that sounds. My post was acknowledging that I do not know the future, and I'm open to endless possibilities. . . even the ones that are inconsistent with my world-view. I hope you understand where i'm coming from. It's just sumn one of my profs taught me about being open to knowledge. . to try to acknowledge that my opponents may be right, even in arguments that I make to refute their positions. . . SO if they can show me to be mistaken, I'm already subconsciously somewhat detached from my opinion, and i can adopt new positions if they are shown to be valid. Speaking in absolute terms makes it harder to adopt new positions IMO. It's like one feels he has known all about the subject and is now some final authority. I don't think that highly of myself.

Furthermore, could you please give an example of an objective explanation that is not "through science"?

My phone is ringing because someone is calling me. Can u check my caller ID and see who it is, please?  grin

I know my car is in the driveway because i'm looking at it and I can see it there. Look . . . can you see it too?

I think those 2 statements could be verified by simple observation, and not necessarily thru a systematic study requiring experiments, collection and analysis of data, etc  (scientific method).

viaro:

The whole point is this: "Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?" Dawkins, as we know, has no credible study on the supernatural that you have been able to exemplify. His arguments against the 'supernatural' is not science, and he makes such arguments as an atheist rather. I hope you are not trying ever so hard to gull the public between the two? Now, if you know of any works of Dawkins on the 'supernatural' that he has conducted and published as a professional scientist (not as an atheist) in a scientific journal with scientific results for the scientific community, could you sinequanon show us clear examples of such? That would be far much helpful than going round and saying nothing in this regard thus far.

Abeg o. Thank you my broda. help me to ask him well well o. E be like say some people think say we no go school.  grin
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 3:05pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

We can continue to discuss once you have retracted and agreed to refrain from this sort of language.

I agree to refrain - and that would mean that you please simply attend to questions and not dribble us around forever.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 3:09pm On Feb 11, 2010
Krayola:

You definition was, IMO, begging the question, BIG TIME!!! you claim supernatural only exists relative to science, and then offer a definition, one that does not occur in any dictionary I can find, that defines supernatural directly as a "function" of science.
I don't know what you take us for here, but please stop it. [size=16pt]PLEASE!![/size]

>viaro waves at Krayo. . coughs and says: 'Bro, howdy??'< cheesy

Abeg o. Thank you my broda. help me to ask him well well o. E be like say some people think say we no go school.

Hahahaha!! grin grin
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by PastorAIO: 3:31pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:

Please provide us with some notable examples, and then oblige us as well (if you may) of any scientific work about the supernatural that he has conducted in his capacity as a scientist, not as an atheist. Thank you.

I would first like to respect Krayola's simple statement so that I do not risk putting words in his mouth. Now do kindly attend to my request in precisely as you find it written in that portion of my quote there. I find it more than strangely out of this world that you would be asking me to do this assignment for you whereas you have been sounding far too confident that Dawkins has scientific work on the 'supernatural'. That, indeed, is simply a mechanical evasion of some sorts to the simple request I made.

Science, as you may well know, my gentle sir, is not predicated on "ideas that conflict with current scientific thinking". Dawkins' personal take on what he has not scientifically studied is not science - I hope that is quite simple enough to understand?

You have ended up destroying your own argument. The whole point is this: "Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?" Dawkins, as we know, has no credible study on the supernatural that you have been able to exemplify. His arguments against the 'supernatural' is not science, and he makes such arguments as an atheist rather. I hope you are not trying ever so hard to gull the public between the two? Now, if you know of any works of Dawkins on the 'supernatural' that he has conducted and published as a professional scientist (not as an atheist) in a scientific journal with scientific results for the scientific community, could you sinequanon show us clear examples of such? That would be far much helpful than going round and saying nothing in this regard thus far.

I am not here about intelligent design - that could also be argued outside of the ambit of religion, an example being systemics. Let's do the KISS here (k[/b]eep [b]i[/b]t [b]s[/b]imple [b]stupid) and not begin to draw upon unnecessary illations at this point. I would like for you to attend on the point above, thanks.

I think that the problem here stems back to the title of the thread and the OP (or rather the opening posts).  It suggests that there are 2 things, science and religion which may either by fundamentally the same or may fundamentally differ from each other in a ways that can be compared.  

Even if the OP thinks that there is no difference fundamentally that still leaves the idea that they are comparable in a manner that is unjustified.  

For example, I could be a business man and I could employ a marketing consultant.  Someone could then ask what is the fundamental difference between marketing and business?  It would be wrong to say that they are different things because business uses a lot of marketing, some businesses are even 99 percent marketing.  But then it would be wrong to say that they are fundamentally the same thing.

So it is with Science and Religion.  Their purposes are different.  Religion seeks fulfillment in life while Science merely seeks knowledge.  Science can be applied to helping Religion find it's goal.

This whole matter is very messy because both science and religion have often been tampered with by social engineers using it to press various political agendas.  Eg like the Eugenics projects of the Nazis, on science.  And the myriad times religion and other ideologies are used for social organisation.
Krayola:

My phone is ringing because someone is calling me. Can u check my caller ID and see who it is, please?  grin

I know my car is in the driveway because i'm looking at it and I can see it there. Look . . . can you see it too?

I think those 2 statements could be verified by simple observation, and not necessarily thru a systematic study requiring experiments, collection and analysis of data, etc  (scientific method).

Krayola, what you said above reminds me of Gettier's problem, though it is not strictly like Gettier's problem.  Gettier's problem asks some good questions of observation.  When can you be said to know the truth?  When you observe it?  What if the observation is faulty?  Better still, What if the observation is faulty yet the conclusion is right?  cheesy
It's quite beautiful.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by PastorAIO: 3:32pm On Feb 11, 2010
Farmer Franco is concerned about his prize cow, Daisy. In fact, he is so concerned that when his dairyman tells him that Daisy is in the field, happily grazing, he says he needs to know for certain. He doesn't want merely to have a 99 percent probability that Daisy is safe, he wants to be able to say that he knows Daisy is safe.
Farmer Franco goes out to the field and standing by the gate sees in the distance, behind some trees, a white and black shape that he recognizes as his favorite cow. He goes back to the dairy and tells his friend that he knows Daisy is in the field.
Yet, at this point, does Farmer Franco really know it?
The dairyman says he will check too, and goes to the field. There he finds Daisy, having a nap in a hollow, behind a bush, well out of sight of the gate. He also spots a large piece of black and white paper that has got caught in a tree.
Daisy is in the field, as Farmer Franco thought.
But was he right to say that he knew she was?
The philosopher, Martin Cohen, who described this scenario originally [1], says that in this case the farmer:
believed the cow was safe;
had evidence that this was so (his belief was justified);
and it was true that his cow was safe.
However, we might still feel that the farmer did not really know it. Herein lies the core of the problem of 'knowledge as justified true belief'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettier_problem
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 4:04pm On Feb 11, 2010
Pastor AIO:

I think that the problem here stems back to the title of the thread and the OP (or rather the opening posts).  It suggests that there are 2 things, science and religion which may either by fundamentally the same or may fundamentally differ from each other in a ways that can be compared.  

Even if the OP thinks that there is no difference fundamentally that still leaves the idea that they are comparable in a manner that is unjustified.  

For example, I could be a business man and I could employ a marketing consultant.  Someone could then ask what is the fundamental difference between marketing and business?  It would be wrong to say that they are different things because business uses a lot of marketing, some businesses are even 99 percent marketing.  But then it would be wrong to say that they are fundamentally the same thing.

So it is with Science and Religion.  Their purposes are different.  Religion seeks fulfillment in life while Science merely seeks knowledge.  Science can be applied to helping Religion find it's goal.

This whole matter is very messy because both science and religion have often been tampered with by social engineers using it to press various political agendas.  Eg like the Eugenics projects of the Nazis, on science.  And the myriad times religion and other ideologies are used for social organisation.

Without straining for technicalities, that is simply beautiful.

____
Edit:

Herein lies the core of the problem of 'knowledge as justified true belief'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettier_problem

Reminds me also of the Monty Hall (probability) Problem. wink
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by vislabraye(m): 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2010
Science has been able to conform some events in the Bible. There some where in Isaiah that says God seats on the circle of the earth. During that era, it was believed that the earth was flat and that the moon revolves round the earth, but Isaiah said otherwise. That the earth was and indeed a sphere.

Many years later, a scientist known as Kepler ( was an Illuminati ) was able to prove that the earth is spherical. It was also believed that any body who was practised science was a witch/wizard and they had to be burnt.

But the truth is that super natural power ( I wouldnt say religion ) is beyond the scope of science.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:

"notable" is your get out clause, is it? As for the capacity in which Dawkins made his assertions, that is also too vague.

Any peer reviewed scientific paper that mentions the word supernatural should suffice, no? If not, please state why not.

viaro:
You have ended up destroying your own argument. The whole point is this: "Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?" Dawkins, as we know, has no credible study on the supernatural that you have been able to exemplify.

You are confusing the point. Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural. You are even wider from the mark, because my point is that, once scientists have identified something as supernatural, they would eliminate it from their studies. So, asking me to find "a credible (another get-out-of-jail-term) study on the supernatural" shows that you have missed the point.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Traugott(m): 4:52pm On Feb 11, 2010
Further to my initial post, here are my own ideas, and they are open to criticism.

1a) Science is not Religion, Religion is not Science.
1b) Science is a religion, Religion is a science.

2a) Science is the religion of causes and effects of phenomena that are tangible to the overall human experience.

2b) Religion is the science of causes and effects of phenomena that make things tangible to the overall human experience.

3a) Religion and Science are two fingers on the same hand, but neither is a thumb.

3b) They are not exactly the same thing, they do not have the same functions, but they are shaped and used the same way.

3c) Used together and not against one another, their altogether functionality is multiplied many times over.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 5:06pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

"notable" is your get out clause, is it?

Not at all. I would have expected that you please furnish us answers to our queries instead of these excuses. If you don't have any such answers, you could as well simply say so - which would sort this all out for you and save us further asking.

As for the capacity in which Dawkins made his assertions, that is also too vague.

There is no ambiguity between 'atheist' and 'scientist'. With regards to the 'supernatural', it is either Dawkins has clear scientific studies with scientific results for the scientific community - or he DOES NOT: there are no ambiguities there, no?

Again, if you have examples of Dawkins' SCIENTIFIC work on the supernatural, please furnish us with examples (throw out the qualifier 'credible' - just give us examples of his SCIENTIFIC works with SCIENTIFIC results published in SCIENTIFIC journals for the SCIENTIFIC community - that's all).

Any peer reviewed scientific paper that mentions the word supernatural should suffice, no?
If not, please state why not.

Nope - and I should remark that you may not even know the difference as to make such a comment. Please tell me you don't know - seriously. If that be the case, I may oblige you on how that is not true.

I make this observation, because it seems you're trying to stand on two dialectic grounds at the same time to argue what you have not been able to show. Why so? In the first place, you are the one who said just above that "Any peer reviewed scientific paper that mentions the word supernatural should suffice"; but in the very next statement, you argue that direct opposite that ~
Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural.

Pardon me, sinequanon. .  but it does not seem that you have a grip on what you're arguing. For one, I would agree with you that a "mention" of the term 'supernatural' does not equate a scientific study; but there again, you had tried to use the direct opposite to save your position. Dude, it just doesn't make any sense and that is unacceptable by any means. So please show which of these two helps your position and we shall deal further, yes?

You are even wider from the mark, because my point is that, once scientists have identified something as supernatural, they would eliminate it from their studies. So, asking me to find "a credible (another get-out-of-jail-term) study on the supernatural" shows that you have missed the point.

I am not wider any mark, please. I could as well double repeat Krayola's line that you please stop this mundane chasing of the wind that you've been displaying all along - we're not kids! If you want us to go back again, here is how I came in and requested a simple case from you:

(a)
Krayola: I do not know of scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession or whateva. Like I said, science, IMO, does not give a rat's behind about the "supernatural".

(b)
sinequanon: I can recommend you some Richard Dawkins. cool

(c)
viaro: Please pay some attention to the very statement in Krayola's which you highlighted - it may be vital here if one might reiterate it simply thus - Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists? Does Richard Dawkins actually believe that what he calls tooth fairies, flying spaghetti monster and the like are "supernatural" in a scientific sense -  does he refer to such things in his reports or profession?

Pivotal to my query is this -
How does he explain the 'supernatural' in his 'science' as to be part of his vocation as a scientist?

From all these it should be clear that I'm not asking you for any other thing that on science & scientists - not atheists/atheism. Dawkins may argue against the 'supernatural', yada-yada. . . but does he make those arguments as a scientist or an atheist? Incase you may not remember, this is how I expressed it afterwards:

viaro:

The whole point is this: "Do you sinequanon know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?" Dawkins, as we know, has no credible study on the supernatural that you have been able to exemplify. His arguments against the 'supernatural' is not science, and he makes such arguments as an atheist rather. I hope you are not trying ever so hard to gull the public between the two? Now, if you know of any works of Dawkins on the 'supernatural' that he has conducted and published as a professional scientist (not as an atheist) in a scientific journal with scientific results for the scientific community, could you sinequanon show us clear examples of such? That would be far much helpful than going round and saying nothing in this regard thus far.

I am still waiting for your simple answers showing examples of Dawkins' scientific works with scientific results published in scientific journals for the scientific community. If you have none, please apologise to Krayola for trying to gull the public and for wasting his time - I can do without an apology for wasting mine or yours.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 5:18pm On Feb 11, 2010
Krayola:

haha. I'm calm o. Me I juss dey play.  smiley

You definition was, IMO, begging the question, BIG TIME!!! you claim supernatural only exists relative to science, and then offer a definition, one that does not occur in any dictionary I can find,,

A premise cannot beg the question. It IS the premise.

This is a philosophical discussion. It goes beyond and queries dictionary definitions, especially internet ones! Note that philosophers do not rely on dictionary definitions.

Krayola:
that defines supernatural directly as a "function" of science. I don't know what you take us for here, but please stop it. PLEASE!! Science has little to nothing to do with the origin or use of the concept of the supernatural. The concept of the supernatural, IMO, more likely has to do with the concept of the divine. . . . Belief In God's and  other non- physical agents being able to affect/alter events, or natural phenomena. Hence the existence of rituals and appeasement of deities LONG LONG before science came around. There was, IMO, obviously already a clear distinction between the mundane and the sacred, the seen order and a believed unseen order, the natural and the supernatural.

OK, this is the crux of our difference of opinion.

BTW, I think the context in which you use the word "non-physical" is a covert reference to science.

I think the term "supernatural" is used with respect to the science of the day, however 'primitive'. I believe phenomena can change classification from supernatural to natural as a result of changes in that science. Lightning may have once been a supernatural phenomenon. In Western cultures, at least, it no longer is considered to be so. Yet lightning itself has not changed. All that has changed is its status with respect to the scientific body of knowledge of the day.

I understand the point you are making, but would like to know when you think science "came around"?

Krayola:
As long as you acknowledge that the definition you gave is YOUR definition, and does not denote the word "supernatural", your definition is fine with me as long as it is used in expressing what YOUR OWN PERSONAL opinion is. . . an opinion you are entitled to have. But that your definition is IMO, not valid outside of your opinion.

Well, this is the point of discussion -- we test our opinions. You go on to admit that your dictionary definition leads to something that sounds "silly." That was caused by use of the very word that I did not use in my definition and that you highlighted as a difference. That is why I think dictionary definitions are not always adequate for this type of philosophical discussion.

Krayola:
I try not to make "absolutist" statements. SO even though I don't believe in the supernatural, I don't dismiss the possibility of the supernatural. Even though I don't believe the unexplainable can be explained, I wont dismiss the possibility of the unexplainable being explained. . .as silly as that sounds.

Krayola:
The definition was from a dictionary. It isn't identical, or even similar, to the one you gave. There may be a definition out there that describes supernatural as a "function" of science, but I have not seen it.

Let us examine it in practice, then.

Name something that is supernatural that is amenable to science.

Name something that is not supernatural that is not amenable to science.

If you cannot, then do you accept that there is an association? Is that association a coincidence?

Krayola:
I'm debating an absolute assertion that you made in refuting an argument from another poster. That the concept of the "supernatural" ONLY exists relative to science. That is what we are trying to make sense of here. What the dictionary says is pretty clear.

Clear and, possibly, silly.  wink

I understand what you are saying. I did not intend to be absolute. Everything is opinion, imo, and I only wanted to invite the poster to put forward his own opinion on the issue. That way we clarify our viewpoints and can identify simply where our differences of opinion lie. Then we can agree to disagree, all shake hands, and go home.  smiley
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:
Pardon me, sinequanon. .  but it does not seem that you have a grip on what you're arguing. For one, I would agree with you that a "mention" of the term 'supernatural' does not equate a scientific study; but there again, you had tried to use the direct opposite to save your position. Dude, it just doesn't make any sense and that is unacceptable by any means. So please show which of these two helps your position and we shall deal further, yes?

You have lost the context and are going down a blind alley.

The 'contention' is whether the notion of "supernatural" is defined relative to science -- a function of science as Krayola succinctly put it. It is not about whether scientists study the supernatural.

Scientists shunning "supernatural" phenomena is more relevant to demonstrating a dichotomy.

If I had said that a logic is defined relative to mathematics, would you then ask me for mathematical studies of illogical assertions? Hopefully not! Any article would get to a point where it determines the assertion to be illogical, and once mentioned would cease investigation in that direction.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 5:44pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

A premise cannot beg the question. It IS the premise.

This is a philosophical discussion. It goes beyond and queries dictionary definitions, especially internet ones! Note that philosophers do not rely on dictionary definitions.

Good. Now here is one I had hoped you would oblige us -

viaro: How does he explain the 'supernatural' in his 'science' as to be part of his vocation as a scientist?

. . .that is to say, please give us Dawkins' scientific meaning in his scientific study of the term supernatural in a scientific paper published in a scientific journal for the scientific community? I very well doubt that Dawkins knows enough to stand shoulder to shoulder with philosophers of science, so what you were saying about "philosophers" is another thing entirely for what you argue.

I think the term "supernatural" is used with respect to the science of the day, however 'primitive'. I believe phenomena can change classification from supernatural to natural as a result of changes in that science. Lightning may have once been a supernatural phenomenon. In Western cultures, at least, it no longer is considered to be so. Yet lightning itself has not changed. All that has changed is its status with respect to the scientific body of knowledge of the day.

That analogy is neat - it reminds me of the example of alchemistry. However, is the case we have been asking about a matter of philosophical linguistics, metaphysics, or the scientific paradigm of current scientific thinking?

Name something that is supernatural that is amenable to science.

Hehe. .  this sounds like you're asking him to help fill in the gasp for you, or to answer your own roll-call, or even supply answers for your own assignment. Did I get something wrong, if I thought you were the one who's on spot for making the connotation that 'supernatural' is a function of science? If that's you, then you should be the same person who should name something that is supernatural and is amenable to science, no?

If you cannot, then do you accept that there is an association? Is that association a coincidence?

It is arguable on the indices of their concerns rather than on broad strokes of presumptions and generalizations.

I understand what you are saying. I did not intend to be absolute. Everything is opinion, imo, and I only wanted to invite the poster to put forward his own opinion on the issue. That way we clarify our viewpoints and can identify simply where our differences of opinion lie. Then we can agree to disagree, all shake hands, and go home.  smiley

Sweet.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by blackcypha(m): 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2010
SCIENTISTS KNOW THAT RELIGION IS NOT SCIENCE
RELIGIONISTS KNOW THAT SCIENCE IS NOT RELIGION
 HENCE,IPSO FACTO

THE MAJOR DIFFERECE IS THAT
SCIENCE IS BASED ON PERCEPTIBLE REALITY(things we can explain with our five senses)
RELIGION IS BASED ON IMPERCEPTIBLE REALITY(things we can only expxlain with our sixth sense)
(NB, notice that I used imperceptible reality which is a redundancy,  becos
religionists claim to feel things which is real to them,which we cant feel with any of our five senses
I had to use that term)
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 5:49pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

You have lost the context and are going down a blind alley.

That is not true. Rather, I see you're evading the simple questions being put to you and are further excusing them away.

The 'contention' is whether the notion of "supernatural" is defined relative to science -- a function of science as Krayola succinctly put it. It is not about whether scientists study the supernatural.

When Krayola said that he did not know of scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession, you recommended Richard Dawkins - and on that particular note, I asked you to attest to that by furnishing us with scientific examples, not atheistic arguments. Have you done so? No. Why?

Scientists shunning "supernatural" phenomena is more relevant to demonstrating a dichotomy.

Which for me says that Dawkins has no scientific study on the 'supernatural', and you should not have tried to "recommend" him in reference to the part of Krayola's statement that you highlighted earlier.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 6:13pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:

That is not true. Rather, I see you're evading the simple questions being put to you and are further excusing them away.

When Krayola said that he did not know of scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession, you recommended Richard Dawkins - and on that particular note, I asked you to attest to that by furnishing us with scientific examples, not atheistic arguments. Have you done so? No. Why?

Because the examples I can think off are buried in youtube videos and I would have to sit through hours of video to timestamp the reference. I offered to provide an alternative example, instead. You declined to accept one.

viaro:
Which for me says that Dawkins has no scientific study on the 'supernatural', and you should not have tried to "recommend" him in reference to the part of Krayola's statement that you highlighted earlier.

You have changed "mentioning 'supernatural' in the course of his scientific profession" to "doing a scientific study."

imo, this is where you keep going wrong.

You also refused to accept an alternative example of "scientists calling things 'supernatural' in their reports or profession," after I offered to find a scientific paper that mentions "supernatural."

Then you blame me for not answering your question!
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 6:30pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

Because the examples I can think off are buried in youtube videos and I would have to sit through hours of video to timestamp the reference.

I could be that patient, trust me. If you had rather said so, I would have understood you - but instead you started making insinuations of 'get out clause' clause and 'get-out-of-jail' term. .  what was that all about?

Besides, I was not the one who made mention of a specific case (Richard Dawkins), and even after several times requesting that you furnish us examples of the particular case you made, you evaded that request forever and then now come back with "an alternative example", no? I'm just curious that it seems to me you're making assertions here and there but not actually helping us understand you at all.

I offered to provide an alternative example, instead. You declined to accept one.

I don't think so. If I did decline where you offered an alternative, please remind me. However, you seemed to have shifted grounds far too many times and calling for 'definitions' here and there and not actually holding this discussion on the ground.

You have changed "mentioning 'supernatural' in the course of his scientific profession" to "doing a scientific study."

Did I? That may well be, if by "mentioning" you are referring to "calling" - which I quoted from the part you had highlighted in Krayola's statement. Be that as it may, that did not go unqualified - for anyone can see that Krayola's statement was well qualified by scientists in "their reports or profession". That was why I had hoped you would oblige examples as to the Richard Dawkins you mentioned - and went on to articulate my query particularly in reference to science, not atheism. I just wanted to see what in Dawkins you were so confident about in this regard that you thought we were all oblivious of.

You also refused to accept an alternative example of "scientists calling things 'supernatural' in their reports or profession," after I offered to find a scientific paper that mentions "supernatural."

Are you not the same person that actually rejected that same suggestion by saying: "Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural"?? I agreed with you on the premise that we're dealing here with SCIENCE, not mere 'mention', and that connotes the fact that we're seeking your examples of scientific study of the supernatural where such studies are scientific within the scientific community. Are we going to see such examples of scientific studies. . . or we're going to be marking time on the same spot - because you have none to show??

Then you blame me for not answering your question!

I'm sure that I was careful to articulate what I sought from you so no one is left in doubt thereof.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Krayola(m): 6:46pm On Feb 11, 2010
@ viaro. I'm great thank u. Hope u are gbaduning your life  grin

@ sinequanon,  I'm replying from my phone so I can't quote you cause it can get really messy so please bear with me.

I ain't no philosopher but I don't agree with u.
IMO that is not a premise,  That is the question. The question, ultimately, is "what is supernatural?". When u say it exists ONLY relative to science, I think it means u are saying that by definition, supernatural is a function of science.  So when I now challenge it and you tell me the supernatural is what can not currently be explained by science, you are, IMO, begging the question like a mo- fo.

Science is a specific type of study, using a specific methodology that was developed at a point in history to find naturalistic explanations (as opposed to the preexisting "supernatural" ones), to objectively observable phenomena. Was some knowledge acquired through somewhat scientific methods before this, very likely. But science follows it's own unique set of rules and presuppositions which separate it from other fields of enquiry. My point is that knowledge that is acquired without any reference to the supernatural isn't necessarily scientific. So, IMO, the "science" of the day could only have existed after science had been developed.

I'm not naming anything,  U're the one that has explaining to do not me  grin grin
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 7:29pm On Feb 11, 2010
^^ I feel you bro. cheesy
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 7:39pm On Feb 11, 2010
Krayola:

like a mo- fo.

If you are going to descend into ranting, I will not engage.

If you decide to retract your comment, let me know.

And look up what "begging the question" actually means.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Krayola(m): 7:50pm On Feb 11, 2010
Are u for real? Ranting? Hahaha, u know "like a mo-fo" just means "big time" or "a lot" or something to that effect. It was not an insult, or meant in any derogatory way. I'm not retracting my comment. I'm looking forward to your response to my post but feel free not to respond. I wish u all the best smiley
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Krayola(m): 8:01pm On Feb 11, 2010
Also, please tell us what begging the question really is. .

you want to show me that supernatural only exists relative to science (conclusion) and then do this by telling me that supernatural is what can not currently be explained by science (premise). . If that ain't begging the question i definitely don't know what  is.

Zzzzzzzz
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by PastorAIO: 8:08pm On Feb 11, 2010
When was the first use to the word supernatural? Was it before the modern scientific era? If it was, then surely it's meaning cannot be defined by what modern science says it is, or by what it cannot explain.

What about the word Metaphysics?

Oh yeah, and there is an ideology called Naturalism which says that the Natural is all that exists. If a scientist were a naturalist then he would say that all phenomena should be made subject to scientific study as it is all natural and there is nothing that is beyond the scope of science.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 8:09pm On Feb 11, 2010
viaro:

I could be that patient, trust me. If you had rather said so, I would have understood you - but instead you started making insinuations of 'get out clause' clause and 'get-out-of-jail' term. .  what was that all about?

Because, even if I had spent a few hours digging up Dawkins examples, why would you agree he is speaking as a scientist as oppose to an atheist? Even if I point out that he is speaking on a science forum, you would still ask for an explicit statement. So, I found your request unreasonable from that standpoint, too, because it is unlikely that a scientist speaking on a science forum is going to explicitly state that he is speaking as a scientist.

viaro:
Besides, I was not the one who made mention of a specific case (Richard Dawkins), and even after several times requesting that you furnish us examples of the particular case you made, you evaded that request forever and then now come back with "an alternative example", no? I'm just curious that it seems to me you're making assertions here and there but not actually helping us understand you at all.

There was a possibility that you would have come across the popular Dawkins case too, and agreed with me. If you had asked for cases with evidence provided, I would have chosen something else. When I later suggested this, you rejected the offer.

viaro:
I don't think so. If I did decline where you offered an alternative, please remind me. However, you seemed to have shifted grounds far too many times and calling for 'definitions' here and there and not actually holding this discussion on the ground.

I offered to find a scientific paper that mentions "supernatural."

As for your vague accusation of me shifting ground, may I suggest that you bat back the few required definitions efficiently so that the "discussion on the ground" can actually proceed in a meaningful way, instead of complaining that the ground is shifting.

viaro:
Did I? That may well be, if by "mentioning" you are referring to "calling" - which I quoted from the part you had highlighted in Krayola's statement. Be that as it may, that did not go unqualified - for anyone can see that Krayola's statement was well qualified by scientists in "their reports or profession". That was why I had hoped you would oblige examples as to the Richard Dawkins you mentioned - and went on to articulate my query particularly in reference to science, not atheism. I just wanted to see what in Dawkins you were so confident about in this regard that you thought we were all oblivious of.

I have explained the issue with the Dawkins case caused by your retrospective request for a reference.

A scientific paper IS "by scientists in their reports or profession," so this qualification is consistent with my offer to find a scientific paper that mentions (calls something) supernatural.

Are you not the same person that actually rejected that same suggestion by saying: "Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural"?? I agreed with you on the premise that we're dealing here with SCIENCE, not mere 'mention', and that connotes the fact that we're seeking your examples of scientific study of the supernatural where such studies are scientific within the scientific community. Are we going to see such examples of scientific studies. . . or we're going to be marking time on the same spot - because you have none to show??

I see no such "connotation." I was pointing out that substituting the term "studying" for "mentioning" was one of your red herrings. Once again, you are making assumptions, leading to problems in communication.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by PastorAIO: 8:19pm On Feb 11, 2010
I think a better title for this thread would have been:

What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Atheism And Religion?
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by Krayola(m): 8:23pm On Feb 11, 2010
@pastor. Haha. I thought that earlier today  grin  I went searching for the first use of the word earlier today but couldn't find anything. But I don't even think that will settle this tho. If science preexisted it it does not,IMO, necessarily mean it was in response to science. Or vice versa. Maybe if we also knew HOW it was first used we'll be on to something. I just think context will also matter and not just when.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2010
Pastor AIO:

When was the first use to the word supernatural? Was it before the modern scientific era? If it was, then surely it's meaning cannot be defined by what modern science says it is, or by what it cannot explain.

You could substitute the word "particle" for "supernatural" and you may be able to see why I disagree with this. Meaning is not static.

Pastor AIO:
Oh yeah, and there is an ideology called Naturalism which says that the Natural is all that exists. If a scientist were a naturalist then he would say that all phenomena should be made subject to scientific study as it is all natural and there is nothing that is beyond the scope of science.

grin
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 9:14pm On Feb 11, 2010
@sinequanon,

I'm really interested in seeing what you're trying to make out of all this. I suspected you were not actually trying to sort out any fundamental differences between science and religion, but as PastorAIO observed it should have been rather a matter of the differences between atheism and religion (something that is very much one of my interests to discuss).

Be that as it may, there's just one thing that you brought out that made me smile - the way you tried to defined 'a scientific paper. M-e-n. . . you're in for a treat of Italian chilli tonight! grin

sinequanon:

Because, even if I had spent a few hours digging up Dawkins examples, why would you agree he is speaking as a scientist as oppose to an atheist?

You would have to provide the grounds for anyone to agree with you so we know you're not showing up Dawkins the atheist instead of Dawkins as a scientist - they are worlds apart.

Even if I point out that he is speaking on a science forum, you would still ask for an explicit statement.

Please don't jump to conclusions. If you had presented your case, we would have examined it and then had our observations posted following your examples. We haven't seen you giving examples before making inisnuations about what anyone would do thereafter - is that objective at all?

So, I found your request unreasonable from that standpoint, too, because it is unlikely that a scientist speaking on a science forum is going to explicitly state that he is speaking as a scientist.

I wasn't looking out for a badge declaring their status before they make any speeches. I am rather more concerned about content - which would help one determine whether such a speech connotes 'science' or rather chitchat to a coterie of sorts.

There was a possibility that you would have come across the popular Dawkins case too, and agreed with me. If you had asked for cases with evidence provided, I would have chosen something else. When I later suggested this, you rejected the offer.

You seem to have taken a detour. Could I kindly ask where you made such an offer that was greeted by my rejection or declination?

I offered to find a scientific paper that mentions "supernatural."

Are we on about "mentions" of the 'supernatural' or the supernatural as a scientific study? I hold the view that they are worlds apart - which in anycase I should remind you here of your own disqualification of the same by: "Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural"?

For all intents and purposes, may I again for the umpteenth time state my request, viz:

[list]
Do you (sinequanon) know any scientists calling things "supernatural" in their reports or profession as scientists?
Does Richard Dawkins actually believe that what he calls tooth fairies, flying spaghetti monster and the like are "supernatural" in a scientific sense
-  does he refer to such things in his reports or profession?
[/list]

Now, I could again make it simple for you:
[list]
Now, if you know of any works of Dawkins on the 'supernatural' that he has conducted and published as a professional scientist (not as an atheist) in a scientific journal with scientific results for the scientific community, could you (sinequanon) show us clear examples of such?
[/list]

[list]If you have nothing to show in SCIENCE for that, please say so and save us all the complaining.[/list]

sinequanon:
As for your vague accusation of me shifting ground, may I suggest that you bat back the few required definitions efficiently so that the "discussion on the ground" can actually proceed in a meaningful way, instead of complaining that the ground is shifting.

My request was simple and straight forward - it does not require "definitions" and "re-definitions" about this or the other. It was not an accusation I made, but rather a straight-to-the-point request. You could oblige my request or decline to do so.

I have explained the issue with the Dawkins case caused by your retrospective request for a reference.

Nope, you offered an excuse to wriggle out of the Dawkins case - unless you chose to not understand it so that we go on forever marking time on that spot.
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by sinequanon: 9:22pm On Feb 11, 2010
OK, I think you have started to go round in circles, viaro. Perhaps you are trying to answer a question with some other title.

I prefer you read back carefully, than I repeat myself.

Otherwise, I am happy to agree to disagree with you at this point. smiley
Re: What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? by viaro: 9:24pm On Feb 11, 2010
sinequanon:

OK, I think you have started to go round in circles, viaro. Perhaps you are trying to answer a question with some other title.

I prefer you read back carefully, than I repeat myself.

Otherwise, I am happy to agree to disagree with you at this point. smiley

Slow down, I'm not done serving you the treat of Italian chilli yet. .

Now as to your definition of 'scientific paper', hmmm. . .

sinequanon:
A scientific paper IS "by scientists in their reports or profession," so this qualification is consistent with my offer to find a scientific paper that mentions (calls something) supernatural.

First, you were not being consistent. Let's trash out once again that mere "mention" of supernatural was the very thing you categorically disavowed:

[list](1) "Mentioning the term "supernatural" does not imply studying the supernatural" (quoting you)[/list]

[list](2) since you're defining a scientific paper with an ('IS') to be one by 'scientists in their reports or profession, that would suggest that such a paper is the reporting of a scientific study. If it is NOT a study (or research), then on what basis would it qualify as "SCIENCE REPORT" for the scientific community?[/list]

Now, let's take the second point and expound on it by offering you some excerpts -

[list][li]A scientific paper is a written report describing original research results[/li][/list]

[list][li]A scientific paper is a written report describing original research results whose format has been defined by centuries of developing tradition, editorial practice, scientific ethics and the interplay with printing and publishing services.[/li][/list]

[list]Here is an example in a particular case:[/list]

[list]The Scientific Paper[/list]

[list][li]Scientific papers should be reviewed by scientific peers and published in a primary journal. Most governmental reports and conference literature do not qualify as primary literature.[/li][/list]

[list]Expatiating on the above ~~[/list]

[list]An acceptable primary scientific publication must be the first disclosure containing sufficient information to enable peers to -[/list]
[list]
[list][li] 1) assess observations,[/li][/list]
[list][li] 2) repeat experiments,[/li][/list] and -
[list][li] 3) to evaluate intellectual processes;[/li][/list]
[/list]
[list] - moreover, it must be susceptible to sensory perception, essentially permanent, available to the scientific community without restriction, and available for regular screening by one or more of the major recognized secondary services (e.g., currently Biological Abstracts, Chemical Abstracts, Index Medicus, Excerpta Medica, Bibliography of Agriculture, etc., in the United States and similar facilities in other countries[/list]

[list]read it here[/list]

There, sir, is what I had in mind by "scientific paper" - choose your poison and let's have your examples of Dawkins 'science papers' on the 'supernatural', precisely as I asked you earlier ~~

viaro:

I am still waiting for your simple answers showing examples of Dawkins' scientific works with scientific results published in scientific journals for the scientific community. If you have none, please apologise to Krayola for trying to gull the public and for wasting his time - I can do without an apology for wasting mine or yours.
viaro:

. . .that is to say, please give us Dawkins' scientific meaning in his scientific study of the term supernatural in a scientific paper published in a scientific journal for the scientific community?

I see no such "connotation." I was pointing out that substituting the term "studying" for "mentioning" was one of your red herrings. Once again, you are making assumptions, leading to problems in communication.

Please stop dancing around and spinning a million degrees on one spot! Where does a science paper qualify as 'SCIENCE' just for "mentioning" a word without a scientific study/research? So, in other words, sinequanon could just "mention" the word "supernatural" and send it off as a SCIENCE PAPER to the scientific community to qualify as science, yes? If you want to waste your time, I could help you - trust me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Affair With Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of COZA – Ese Walter / The Rapture: Before Or After The Great Tribulation? / Keys To Experiencing God's Wonders Through Praise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.