Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,923 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

History Of Ika People(umunede) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ika People(umunede) (27420 Views)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Ika People / The Ika People{igbanke}. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2010
ORIGIN

Umunede Kingdom was founded by a Benin Prince, called EDE and his wife, IYE who migrated from Benin and settled in the present location, later known as Umunede. The exact date of migration of Ede and his wife from Benin was not recorded but generally, historians put the approximate period as the Thirteenth Century A.D., during the reign of Oba Ewedo The Great (1250-1280 A.D.) Thus, the Kingdom is over seven hundred years old and many historians believed that Umunede Kingdom is one of the oldest kingdoms east of the Benin Empire.

Historians had contended that during Oba Ewedos reign, the Oba had two battles to fight: a diplomatic battle against the great nobility led by the Ediommehan and military battles against Ogiamien III in order to destroy once and for all this anti-royalist movement. As a result of these events, many princes and noble men fled with their families to different safe locations.

The second wave of migration to Umunede probably took place under Oba Ewuare The Great (1440-1485). During his reign, an attempt to eliminate members of the nobility who were threatening the monarchy gathered momentum and brought about another wave of migration out of the Benin Empire.

Historians also believe that there were other settlers before and after Ede and Iye arrived at the present location but no one was sure when those earlier settlers arrived at this same location. However, later migrations to Umunede were well documented. For example, there were other immigrants from Ishan, Benin-speaking areas and Yoruba areas of the west between the 16th and 19th centuries and their quarters are well known in Umunede. Also, there have been large number of immigrants from the Eastern Igbo-speaking area since the last quarter of the 19th century and, since the civil war; Umunede has also been witnessing a large number of immigrants from neighbouring towns and villages.

All historical accounts showed that Ede and his followers did meet a collection of people in the present location, later called Umunede. Those who were already in that location were probably not as strong and organized as Ede and his followers. Therefore, Ede was able to impose his rule and leadership upon the earlier settlers. In fact, it has never been contested that Ede brought to Umunede the type of administrative and social structures, which were already in place in the Benin Empire. Firstly, the monarchical administration, which Ede and his followers brought from Benin, was established in Umunede and hence up to today, Umunede still has traditional and hereditary kingship. Secondly, the mode and type of worship and traditional festivals correspond to the practices in the Benin kingdom. Thirdly, the mode of building houses in ancient Umunede was also that of Benin tradition.

Every available document showed that Ede and Iye had four sons in the following order of seniority: Ilege, Edware, Oba and Ile. Those four sons and their descendants constituted the original four main villages of Umunede. Available information also showed that it took some time before the kingship, as we know it today was fully established. When it was fully established, it took and Igbo title, Obi instead of Ovie or Onogie, which are the titles kings that descended directly from Benin. But, why Obi? Probably, the main reason was that in the course of centuries of living together and inter-ethnic marriages, each of the various groups living in that location started to lose its original ethnic identity, thus giving way to develop on Unumede language and culture- the language being very close to those of Ibos West of the Niger, while Unumede culture was predominantly that of Binis until the first assume that language of the dominant tribe in Umunede. History did not record and alternative title to Obi.

Although the Obiship is based on hereditary lineage (i.e., on succession by first son), this was not the case in Umunede at the beginning of its kingship institution. Contrary to Benin tradition, it was the descendants of Egware, the second son, which established hereditary Obiship in Umunede. This was because, during the life-time of Ede, it was believed that his first son, Ilege, traveled frequently out of Umunede, at times on hunting expedition, and would not return to Umunede until after several weeks or months. Ede feared that Ileje might not understand how to perform traditional rites and rituals required for the survival of the Kingdom. He therefore, before his death, handed over his Staff of office to Egware. Since then, kingship has resided in Obi Village and, since kingship is hereditary, the descendants of Egware have been the Obis of Umunede since living memory!

The title, OGELE was conferred on the oldest son, Ilege, and since that time the oldest man in Ilege Village assumes that title. As compensation for losing the Obiship, the Ogele was given the sole authority to crown all the future Obis of Umunede. His Royal Highness, Ezeagwu Ezenwali I, the present Obi and the Agadagidi of Umunede is the 12th in the line of succession of the present dynasty. During the present dynasty, there was a brief interregnum, between the death of Obi

Gbenoba 11, in 1952, during which Prince Martin Onyeagwu the Crown Princes uncle was appointed the REGENT of Umunede.

Originally, the Staff of Office received from the Obas of Benin by the Obis or the Onogies was only Ebeni. It is, however on record that the Obis of Umunede were among the earliest kings to acquire Adas (very superior Staff of Office reserved for first class Obis) and Ebenis together among the Obis East of the Benin Kingdom

POPULATION

According to the 1991 National Population Census, the population of the Umunede Kingdom was 21,611. The estimated mid-1998 population is 30,000. Thus, Umunede is by far the largest town (or clan) outside Boji Boji Agbor and Owa in the whole of Ika-speaking area. People who are familiar with the growth of the population of the kingdom particularly in the last three decades will readily admit that there have been and unprecedented migration to Umunede from the neighboring villages as well as from the Eastern states. Other factors, which accounted for her rapid growth include her strategic location which facilities mobility to any part of the country, and the friendly disposition of Umunede people generally to non-indigenes.

Enter content here
adaebeni.jpg
UMUNEDE KINGDOM

"The History and Culture of our land"
2 Likes

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
The founder of the Yoruba race is from Egypt/Arabia. Yet Yoruba people are not Egyptians or Arabs.
The founder of the Hausa race is from Bahdad yet Hausas are not Iraqis.
If at all the founders of Umunede are Binis, does not mean that the people of Umunede are Binis.
What matters in this dispensation is not whom you were but whom you are. As a result, Umunede in today's Nigeria are Ndigbo.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by udezue(m): 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2010
No mind the aturu.

Bini found a town bla bla bla

Arochukwu town was inhabited by the Efik-Ibibio before the Aro-Igbos arrived. Does it mean Aro people are now Efik-Ibibio?

pschew

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 10:47pm On Feb 10, 2010
I wonder what else u guys need 2 convince u that we can never be igbos.U r not ika am an ika citizen and ill tell u categorically.Owa oyibu in ika south lga for instance when they speak their unaldulterated ika,u will nt hear a single igbo word.Okay oza nogogo is in ika but their language is like that of latin.No need of much talk.Even if we were finally found 2 be igbos the ikas dnt like 2 be called igbos.Dodo gbani hiam ni eye le ndigbome.Dats an ika sentence meaning pls stop arguing because we are not igbos.Period.U r entitled 2 ur opinions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 11:04pm On Feb 10, 2010
sonya4all:

I wonder what else u guys need 2 convince u that we can never be igbos.U r not ika am an ika citizen and ill tell u categorically.Owa oyibu in ika south lga for instance when they speak their unaldulterated ika,u will nt hear a single igbo word.Okay oza nogogo is in ika but their language is like that of latin.No need of much talk.Even if we were finally found 2 be igbos the ikas dnt like 2 be called igbos.Dodo gbani hiam ni eye le ndigbome.Dats an ika sentence meaning pls stop arguing because we are not igbos.Period.U r entitled 2 your opinions
@Sonya: quit putting your hand in your finger. You may not be Igbo particularly but it does not mean that Umunede and other Ika kingdoms are not Igbo. What stops you from relocating to Binin?.
FYI, Ika sons and daughters have been busy taking their rightful seats at Igbo organisations and you are here arguing how you can not be Igbo.
In one of our recent Igbo Youths UK Iri Ji festivals in London (www.icsn.co.uk), a prominent Ika Obi was the father of the day. How about that?.

A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by asha80(m): 12:18am On Feb 11, 2010
sonya4all:

I wonder what else u guys need 2 convince u that we can never be igbos.U r not ika am an ika citizen and ill tell u categorically.Owa oyibu in ika south lga for instance when they speak their unaldulterated ika,u will nt hear a single igbo word.Okay oza nogogo is in ika but their language is like that of latin.No need of much talk.Even if we were finally found 2 be igbos the ikas dnt like 2 be called igbos.Dodo gbani hiam ni eye le ndigbome.Dats an ika sentence meaning pls stop arguing because we are not igbos.Period.U r entitled 2 your opinions

Do you think a typical owerri man and a typical afikpo man understand each other
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 2:16am On Feb 11, 2010
Keep calling all the Oba's and Bini alike that forced themselves into your governments. Only an idiot Ika gi rachafu iken Bini. The same Bini that call you 'Owi Igbo'. You don't know how much of an embarrassment you are bastardizing yourself. How many non-Igbo words are there in Ika, even you used 'Ndi Igbo'. Could you please tell me what Owerre or Enugu means in Okwu Bini? Could you please tell me which non-Igbo people worship Ikenga? Efulefu.

If you want to be Bini you can go ahead, but don't you dare answer Emeka or bear a surname like Mgbeke.

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 10:04am On Feb 11, 2010
Ok thanks am igbo.God bless u
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Hauwa1: 4:28pm On Feb 11, 2010
sony, so you rachanfu iken bini?

na mutu fa grin grin grin grin
ezeagu, onu gi eh grin grin grin
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 5:05pm On Feb 11, 2010
@hauwa.Sorry i dont get u
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 11:58am On Feb 14, 2010
@Sonya: Valentini oma (happy valentine).
I understand that in the past, when you did not see yourself as Igbo, you kept your self isolated on anything Igbo and even to understand the standard Igbo.
Ndigbo are always their brother's keepers. If you need any help with issues relating to Igbo, do not hesistate to contact Ndigbo nairaland. Prepare your mind to embrace Igbo.
Meanwhile, you can get further help from the Dept of Igbo language at Agbor college of Education. This department is one of the best departments of Igbo language in the entire Igboland. I am sure this will help.Daalu.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 4:25pm On Feb 14, 2010
Haa.Pls what do u do.Are u 24/7 attacker of any anti igbo? Where are you.Are u igbo or ika.I wish u same
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by abadaba(m): 1:15am On Feb 15, 2010
sonya4all:

Haa.Pls what do u do.Are u 24/7 attacker of any anti igbo? Where are you.Are u igbo .I wish u same
Some people perish for lack of knowledge. You can be Ika and Igbo the same time. Just as one can be Nsukka and Igbo or Egba and Yoruba.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 9:33pm On Feb 15, 2010
Adabada or whatever,must you show ur self at any little thing?I dnt rmenber calling pls stop using such expresion on me because u dnt knw me.I warn u

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 12:42am On Feb 16, 2010
[d
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 12:43am On Feb 16, 2010
d.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2010
Supporter club.All u have 2 say is (d)tnks.Bt let him knw dat im not happy wit him
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 11:02pm On Feb 16, 2010
It is true. You can be Ijebu and Yoruba the same time.
You can be Nsukka and Igbo the same time.
You can be Ika and Igbo the same time.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2010
@Sonya.
An arrangement is in the pipeline by The Igbo Youths UK to supply textbooks to all the secondary schools in Igboland. Secondary schools in IkaIgbo areas are also shortlisted. Do you welcome this idea?.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by abadaba(m): 1:04am On Feb 17, 2010
OP, your idea of trying to deny the Ika people of their Igboness has backfired. Well-meaning Ika sons e.g Jim Ovia have been busy receiving Ikenga and other Igbo awards, you are in nairaland yawning crap. Get over it boy.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2010
Adabada jst as the name sounds.Wetin concern jim ovia concern me.Abi is he feeding me.Adabada the hammersmith.Abeg make una leave me jawe!
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Dede1(m): 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2010
@OP

It is not only ridiculous but absolutely laughable that a grown man does not and can not discern his originality. If this punk was fed unfounded story about his originality, I ask him whether the time has not come for him to re-examine the missing links in such convoluted concoction.

Let us assume that this homeless Prince of Bini Kingdom wondering around was so confused that he did not remember his name. Did he also forget the Edo collective words for own children that he used that of Igbo word, “UMU”, as in UMUNEDE? When will this stupidity end among certain idiotic fellows?

You will never be Igbo because a true Igbo person would not claim ancestry to a village empire such as Bini.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 8:00pm On Feb 19, 2010
Dede1:

@OP

It is not only ridiculous but absolutely laughable that a grown man does not and can not discern his originality. If this punk was fed unfounded story about his originality, I ask him whether the time has not come for him to re-examine the missing links in such convoluted concoction.

Let us assume that this homeless Prince of Bini Kingdom wondering around was so confused that he did not remember his name. Did he also forget the Edo collective words for own children that he used that of Igbo word, “UMU”, as in UMUNEDE? When will this stupidity end among certain idiotic fellows?

You will never be Igbo because a true Igbo person would not claim ancestry to a village empire such as Bini.

OKWU.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sonya4all(m): 10:43pm On Feb 19, 2010
@dede.You are a celebrated foolish fool and a half baked educated one at that.Seeking audience.And i tell uve met the wrong person because ive got no time for scumbags like you.@andre i dnt understand u anymore are u now joining these fools? Let me know.I said i dnt wanna talk abt the subject again because nothin we say here care count on the decision of the ikas.Tnks.Im out of this thread
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by AndreUweh(m): 11:03pm On Feb 19, 2010
Sonya, with due respect, you are on your own. From day one of this thread, we have disagreed to disagree.
You believe in Umunede and Ika not Ndigbo.
While I believe, it is the other way round.
My believe is in one united Igbo nation irrespective of dialect.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by asha80(m): 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2010
sonya4all:

@dede.You are a celebrated foolish fool and a half baked educated one at that.Seeking audience.And i tell uve met the wrong person because ive got no time for scumbags like you.@andre i dnt understand u anymore are u now joining these fools? Let me know.I said i dnt wanna talk abt the subject again because nothin we say here care count on the decision of the ikas.Tnks.Im out of this thread

And you keep coming back to this thread undecided.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 1:11am On Feb 21, 2010
asha 80:

[/b]

And you keep coming back to this thread undecided.

The guy can't believe how terribly his plan failed, so he looks back in order to look for something to console himself with that shows he didn't fail as hard as he did.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by hexcraft(m): 4:31pm On Mar 10, 2010
PLEASE ALL of YOU? Ask your self WHERE U ARE FROM 1st.
Even the Igbos, do they really have an Origin?
Stop the illusion and face realities.
The Most Impotant questions any/all Man must ask are simple buy NO answers
1. Who am I?
2. Why am I Here?
3. Where am I from?
4. Where am I going to from Here.
and Finally, but not important is , HOW HAVE I CONTRIBUTED TO BEING A GOOD MAN?

"Start today to be what you want to be tomorrow". - St. Jerome
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by agbotaen: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2012
1. in owa kingdom ,we are still carrying out researches on the history of owa and ika and we have set up the owa historical committe ,made up of professors, chiefs,elders, noble men and women and members of the royal family.
we are a heterogenous group and presently the people of owa -alero ,a major town in owa kingdom has published a book on their history , showing where the migrated from which is from agbor royal family , uronigbe in edo, ukwuani,otolokpo, ute ogbeje and uteokpu areas.
2. i think more research need to be done , i have personally conducted many interviews with elders and owa native historians called ihogbe and i have lots of information that i will publish later and i have completed my book titled 500 ika names with english meanings ,so that our people can know how to name their children in original native ika and not giving them purely igbo names.i did this research inorder to halt the change in ika and to keep our identity.the ika language committe is also doing same , for example the doctrine of chi has no place in ika ideology ,but what we have is ehi.
for example i see many ika people bearing awuli- meaning happinnes ,but that is wrong the name should be ighogho that is happiness in ika, while oyo is joy in ika , the yoruba call it ayo.
some ika people bear chioma that is also wrong , it is ehioma, some bear ebere as mercy ,but the ika word is omiken , ehiabor is GODS blessing , in ika but many ika people bear ngozichukwu.but i know the reason for this , its the influence of the europeans coming with education and early christianity that brought in many igbo missionaries and teachers , so this influence continued untill many ika people now realise they had to halt this.
3. the onu/ogwa ika the highest socio-political organ of ika nation has set up a commity for language and other things ,and the first thing they said is that parents should start learning and teaching real ika and they should not use any new language for already existing words in ika, example the word for chair is agah or agara in ika but now many ika people say oche for chair.
outside is isere ,but some have borrowed and call ihunezi,car is ozadun but now some say ugboali, okpokain is gun ,but now some say egbe ,bullet is igele but now some say mgbo
police is ulakpa but now they say porishi.
4. ki hain i gi gha isere jenme imughe ya ye ye ni nedi i oshiba?
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by EzePromoe: 4:41pm On Oct 16, 2012
sonya4all: Umunede was founded by a Benin prince

It baffles me how villages are being desperate to be recognized as an ethnic group to the extent of rewritting their history because they are without history, even at that their rewritten history sound so dumb exactly like the one i quoted. I guess Umunede is a Benin word, isn't it? And the so called Benin prince hated his language so much and decided to give it an Igbo name, isn't it? Why i'm not angry is because many Ikas would slap you if you group them as non-Igbo just as many other dumb ones like you will get mad when you're described as Igbo.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2012
The correct name of Umunede is actually Umu édè.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Abagworo(m): 7:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
ezeagu: The correct name of Umunede is actually Umu édè.

Ikas speak like Isu people in intonation and call Umu with a nasal feel Umun. So its more or less "Umun-Ede".

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures / Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.