Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only (31743 Views)

Unilag Balloting For Freshers: I Would Do It For You!! First 80 Students Only / 2018 JAMB: Thread For SCIENCE Students Only!!! / Npowerng: How Was I Supposed To Answer This Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by inschool(m): 5:31pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

I saw your mention in that regard, don't worry, I know the five. The records are there, don't worry.

Now let me post the next question.
ok waiting
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by jnfoage: 5:36pm On Aug 03, 2017
This is one of the questions I was asked in my present job interview.

The electrical power output of a steam turbine power plant can be used to heat up the boiler thereby generating steam for the plant without additional external energy source.

Technically justify or condemn this assertion.

One point will be awarded for this.

I will give additional one point for a scientific expression in support of your view.

1 Like

Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by armadeo(m): 5:38pm On Aug 03, 2017
Lalsaticlala.

Front page for the hustling students pls
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 03, 2017
Conservation Of Heat Energy
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by emmycool44: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

The electrical power output of a steam turbine power plant can be used to heat up the boiler thereby generating steam for the plant without additional external energy source.

I will give additional one point for a scientific expression in support of your view.
Water is heated, turns into steam and spins a steam turbine which drives an
electrical generator. After it passes through the turbine, the steam is condensed in a condenser. The greatest variation in the design of steam-electric power plants is due to the different fuel sources.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by slizzyb(m): 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
No attempt from us abi
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by vaiper(m): 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
Yes because thermal power station is a power plant in which heat energy is converted to electric power.energy is conserved.
I tried atleast consider me
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by inschool(m): 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

there is need for external source, if not, the load the plant is supplying must be less than that suplied and the remaining thus goes to heating the water to steam
mathematically, this is only possible if;
Power output=Power needed to heat water to steam + Power damand of load
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by dejt4u(m): 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

this is energy conservation..
according to the laws of dynamics, energy can neither be created nor destroyed but only be transformed from one form to another.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by doughziay: 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2017
The energy efficiency of a conventional thermal
power station, considered salable energy produced
as a percent of the heating value of the fuel
consumed, is typically 33% to 48%. As with all heat engines, their efficiency is
limited, and governed by the laws of
thermodynamics. Other types of power stations are
subject to different efficiency limitations, most
hydropower stations in the United States are about
90 percent efficient in converting the energy of
falling water into electricity[5] while the efficiency of
a wind turbine is limited by Betz's law, to about
59.3percent
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by jnfoage: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2017
inschool:

there is need for external source, if not, the load the plant is supplying must be less than that suplied and the remaining thus goes to heating the water to steam
One point
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by jnfoage: 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
dejt4u:
this is energy conservation..
One point, but aren't in the five.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

Its possible...as energy cannot be created or destroyed according to the law of conservation of energy...it can be converted though... or in this case " recycled".
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by femo86(m): 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
Dis one weak me abeg shocked
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
Pressure
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by doughziay: 5:43pm On Aug 03, 2017
The energy of a thermal power plant not utilized in
power production must leave the plant in the form
of heat to the environment. This waste heat can go
through a condenser and be disposed of with
cooling water or in cooling towers. If the waste heat
is instead utilized for district heating, it is called co-
generation. An important class of thermal power
station are associated with desalination facilities;
these are typically found in desert countries with
large supplies of natural gas and in these plants,
freshwater production and electricity are equally
important co-products.
The Carnot efficiency dictates that higher efficiencies can be attained by increasing the temperature of the steam. Sub-critical fossil fuel power plants can
achieve 36–40% efficiency. Super critical designs
have efficiencies in the low to mid 40% range, with
new "ultra critical" designs using pressures of 4400
psi (30.3 MPa) and multiple stage reheat reaching
about 48% efficiency. Above the critical point for
water of 705 °F (374 °C) and 3212 psi (22.06 MPa),
there is no phase transition from water to steam,
but only a gradual decrease in density.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by nitt: 5:43pm On Aug 03, 2017
This is not my field. Next question and it better be a general one
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by jnfoage: 5:43pm On Aug 03, 2017
femo86:
As in

1 Like

Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Drniyi4u(m): 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

This is in line with laws of thermodynamics.

Energy are changed from one form (output of steam turbine plant) to another (input for boiler).
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
doughziay:
The energy of a thermal power plant not utilized in
power production must leave the plant in the form
of heat to the environment. This waste heat can go
through a condenser and be disposed of with
cooling water or in cooling towers. If the waste heat
is instead utilized for district heating, it is called co-
generation. An important class of thermal power
station are associated with desalination facilities;
these are typically found in desert countries with
large supplies of natural gas and in these plants,
freshwater production and electricity are equally
important co-products.
The Carnot efficiency dictates that higher efficiencies can be attained by increasing the temperature of the steam. Sub-critical fossil fuel power plants can
achieve 36–40% efficiency. Super critical designs
have efficiencies in the low to mid 40% range, with
new "ultra critical" designs using pressures of 4400
psi (30.3 MPa) and multiple stage reheat reaching
about 48% efficiency. Above the critical point for
water of 705 °F (374 °C) and 3212 psi (22.06 MPa),
there is no phase transition from water to steam,
but only a gradual decrease in density.
This definitely didn't come from your head...copy and paste?
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by inschool(m): 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
femo86:
haha
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by jnfoage: 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
Luffy107:
Its possible...as energy cannot be created or destroyed according to the law of conservation of energy...it can be converted though... or in this case " recycled".

You are contradicting yourself.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by inschool(m): 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

One point
ok sir
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:
I First Answered, I Said Conservation Of Energy Na, Check Well
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by dejt4u(m): 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

thanks, pls keep it for me till it get to my turn.. thanks
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by inschool(m): 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2017
Luffy107:
This definitely didn't come from your head...copy and paste?
lol
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by femo86(m): 5:46pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

As in

As in seriously grin
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 03, 2017
Making effort to reduce the consumption of energy by using less of an energy service. This can be achieved either by using energy more efficiently (using less energy for a constant service) or by reducing the amount of services used
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

You are contradicting yourself.
How?
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by xender(m): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2017
jnfoage:

The Rankine cycle is an idealized thermodynamic cycle of a heat engine that converts heat into mechanical work. The heat is supplied externally to a closed loop, which usually uses water as the working fluid. ... It has Boiler- where heat(coal fired) is added to convert water in steam.
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by femo86(m): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2017
@inschool....just dash me one point make I join to my 2.....abeg nah
Re: Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 03, 2017
Abeg...next question.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (48) (Reply)

Nigerian Education Graduates, Students To Get Automatic Employment, Stipends / Student Cuts Teacher With Machete For Punishing His Girlfriend In Enugu / Carry Over Is Ruining My Life Please Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.