Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti (1223 Views)

Dbanj, Omawunmi, Femi Kuti, Others At The White House In America (Pictures) / Kenny-Ogungbe On Why We Didn't Attend Tuface's Wedding / Pictures Of Goldie At The Grammy Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by lizfab(f): 5:13pm On Feb 11, 2010
"Everybody was worried why I didn't go. I said I would not travel because it's not my thing. After the Kora Awards, I didn't like the feelings I got. I nearly suffered high blood pressure. 'And the winner is, ' Everybody was apprehensive. And when they pronounced me the winner of West Africa, and they wanted to do the overall, I refused to come out. I didn't go into music because of that; not to go and sit in one hall and be pronounced a winner or not. I didn't want that. I know how I started, I was playing for three people who were my friends. They used to laugh at me. I would play for five hours until I got a break in France, Switzerland and Germany, then I moved all over. I was in Spain, Italy and I conquered Europe and I then I entered America. It took me nearly ten years before I entered America. To be nominated, is it a small thing? Do you know how many artists we have in this world? Already I have drank champagne over it. I'm not disappointed one bit about not winning. The reason I did not win are technical reasons. It's not by the sale of the album. There are judges and they must have their reasons for picking whoever they picked. I was even shocked to have been nominated again, because the first time I went to the awards during my first nomination, I walked out in annoyance. First I thought we were going to be televised, but it wasn't. They only televised the Madonna's, the Jay Z's and the Beyonce's of this world. I was 41 then and everybody by my side was apprehensive to win and I could not stand it. I was upset. When I arrived at the red carpet, nobody came for me, my record company didn't come, I felt stupid and so I knew I could not win. I sacked my manager, a French man, and they sacked me too. The journey back home was very long. I felt sad. Since then I vowed never to attend the Grammy Awards again. My father never went for any awards, and where they presented him an award, he didn't go personally and when they brought the award to him, he would send them back with the award. One day, I was at the World Music Awards and I brought the awards, he said did I send you? You better take it back. As I grew older, I understood what he was saying then." ~ Femi Kuti
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by TeeJay6(m): 5:37pm On Feb 11, 2010
I'm sure they missed you, the show organisers must be sad at your absence NOT, Mr Kuti you were not missed ok, so no need to explain to us why you didnt attend, perpetuating your father's bitterness towards anything imperial sucks ok, just accept it with grace when you dont win and stop being a ________.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by spikedcylinder: 8:26pm On Feb 11, 2010
Oh ok.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by nellaluv(f): 12:38pm On Feb 12, 2010
^ ^ when something sounds silly ur comment would be 'oh ok' or 'bs'. Lol
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by SisiKill1: 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2010
Rolls eye.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by oge4real(f): 4:51pm On Feb 12, 2010
Onitcha market no sabi say one person no come tongue tongue
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by benincitys(f): 6:30pm On Feb 12, 2010
who care?
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by mamagee3(f): 7:40pm On Feb 12, 2010
Who really Cared if he attended? undecided
It's funny how he popped out from nowhere
and began rambling about his absence like someone
was looking for him
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by lizzybabe1(f): 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2010
mama-gee:

Who really Cared if he attended? undecided
It's funny how he popped out from nowhere
and began rambling about his absence like someone
was looking for him

Exactly. LOL
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by riversman: 8:42pm On Feb 12, 2010
Mr Kuti BYE!!!!! Nneka is the hottest export outta naija for now, just lay low and take care of all ur baby mama's and thier kids, U have been nominated twice with no WINS!!! geez, eat a dick, if ur name wasnt Beyonce or Taylor Swift or Lady GaGa - we dont care if u attended or not

PS: Genevieve is one of his baby mama's, lol, yep she has a child
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by nellaluv(f): 9:28pm On Feb 12, 2010
^ ^ dude u're so bleeped up undecided
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by eleshin(m): 10:58pm On Feb 12, 2010
femi kuti is right,he is a superstar in his own right,he knew what went down during d first time he was nominated and he is not ready to go thru the same treatment.i read his interview in encomium weekly,he may be happy for the nomination but he is not one of those desperate for the award.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by aloyemeka2: 1:44am On Feb 13, 2010
Naijas can hate. The guy already explained why he didn't attend and there is no reason to heap insults on his person.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by riversman: 6:39am On Feb 13, 2010
i kno he gave a reason for not attending, but guess what, its an Academy for American Recording artistes, so whatever they wanna do concern them, Femi Kuti needs to suck yansh, he is not dat hott any more, Next it will be ASA complaining about BET awards, lol
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by spikedcylinder: 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2010
nellaluv:

^ ^ when something sounds silly your comment would be 'oh ok' or 'bs'. Lol

Exactly.
Re: Why I Didn't Attend The Grammy Awards - Femi Kuti by alanrewaju: 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2010
Femi u right, We (Africans) don't have 2 b treated as inferior, Why present an award 2 me at d pre-event when no1 takes note, its just like saying ur not good enough yet. Same thing happen 2face at d world music Award where he was presented an Award a day before d main event and he was still present on d-day, To me if you are going 2 acknowledge my good works do it properly don't give us a backdoor Award.
To me Mode9 anyday is better than Lil'wayne.

(1) (Reply)

Timaya Gets Glo Endorsement Deal! / D’banjn And Genevieve At Logger Heads. / Amy Winehouse Confirmed Dead!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.