Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) (68193 Views)

Nigeria Overtakes Egypt As Largest Rice Producer In Africa’ / List Of Rice Producing States In Nigeria / Rotimi Williams, The Owner Of 2nd Largest Rice Farm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by totit: 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2017
pazienza:

See a recent report.
I don't see Ogun there.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://www.naij.com/1114914-nigeria-rice-production-statistics.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi_qKH3hMvVAhVDPxoKHdyqCiQQFgguMAA&usg=AFQjCNGxm27VdsCgeHeJff_mCRdNcPZlAw

Looks questionable, considering that the reporter is Igbo? grin

Now you know why your own stats look questionable too.

Lmao. grin

You were so quick to castigate the stats/link provided by the OP without downloading the Google PDF,only to show us one yeye news without direct link to the said Stats. I guess the new outlet was more than enough for you to convince yourself without providing the source of the said news?

Dude, here is the link to the said ' copy and paste news along with the initial link/NL thread you earlier provided grin

Lmao grin

Below, Is the link, stop copy and paste abeg,and since you were so quick to shout yolaba propaganda do endeavor to provide us with the direct link to your copy and paste stats.

OYa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Curlieweed: 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2017
Sanchez01:

I believe it is enough and more than enough to consider the North as the country's greatest asset 'just because they produce most of what we eat'. The oil in The Delta does not benefit the people, save the government who sells it and keeps the money. Even in the face of resource control, another form of government would still be in charge and not the man whose land oozes with crude unending. Last I checked, I still buy fuel weekly and the money does not return to my pocket.

Let's be frank with one another, the oil in itself is only beneficial to a handful of Northern Elites and a couple of Igbo folks and Yoruba folks as well. Proceeds from agriculture is the reason the Obafemi Awolowo University is standing today and it is the reason the SW metamorphosed into a region of book lovers. My point is, agriculture might not be our primary cash cow, but it does not take away the fact that it plays a more vital role in Nigeria than oil in itself. Do we still export cash crops? Yes, we do, and while it is not what it used to be, we barely look towards that angle because we get it cheap.

Believe me, it would be MI:VII for Cameroon to primarily take up the responsibility of providing for Nigeria should the North say no today because we would put into consideration how much food it has for its people before thinking of others.

I'd upload the video and share the link tomorrow to see the effect of food shortage on a large scale. That the North is doing us a favour is an understatement.

I don't understand how we play politics with simple economic facts.

How da fvck can you say that someone is doing you avfavour because the government essentially forces you to buy his products. Do you know that rice, corn or whatever grains that are sold by the Northern farmers are all more expensive than imported varieties of the same commodities. And this is even after very prohibitive import taxes.

If you think anyone is doing anyone any favour, remove all prohibitions on food importation and find out who is actually doing the other a favour.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by nototribalist: 10:42pm On Aug 09, 2017
Sanchez01:

Lagos rice wasn't a scam. It was sold in December, during Christmas and the reason was to unsettle the the pressure of rice scarcity. And knowing that rice is just about the major staple food eaten during Christmas, what you call scam was more or less a special agricultural intervention. Chances are that it would pop up again this year.
popping up and popping out, that's rubbishh, 95% of lagosians didn't even see the sack then to talk of eating it
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by ODVanguard: 11:13pm On Aug 09, 2017
totit:

Lmao. grin

You were so quick to castigate the stats/link provided by the OP without downloading the Google PDF,only to show us one yeye news without direct link to the said Stats. I guess the new outlet was more than enough for you to convince yourself without providing the source of the said news?

Dude, here is the link to the said ' copy and paste news along with the initial link/NL thread you earlier provided grin

Lmao grin

Below, Is the link, stop copy and paste abeg,and since you were so quick to shout yolaba propaganda do endeavor to provide us with the direct link to your copy and paste stats.

OYa

Guy, fyi, Ebonyi is the only state in the SE that grows rice in reasonable commercial quantity. The rest are all scams. The phantom anambra rice obiano was yapping about was a scam. It was actually rebagged Ebonyi/abakaliki rice.

8 Likes

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by scholes0(m): 11:16pm On Aug 09, 2017
AdoOloroo:

Lol dude the Naij.com source you quoted

1: has no Date
2: Has no production Figures
3: has no official source backing the Info
4: Is in the Opinion / "Ask Naija" section

grin lol

But of course you believe it over one supported by Two National Agencies complete with date, figures and global trends, including in other products such as Cocoa, Palm and dairy, because yeeeah, it lists both Ebonyi and Anambra as top rice producers, lol!

Typical.

You have time to be replying that Yoruba hater called Pazienza.

6 Likes

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Holafish(m): 11:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
Aburi001:
Where is Ekiti State, where is Fayose?
The Ponmo and Diarrhea producing State grin grin
Abegi leave my Governor alone
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by wabbyland(m): 11:50pm On Aug 09, 2017
scholes0:
.... Ofada rice from Ogun state is VERY delicious.

Those who are aware of what is actually going on in the country's rice industry would know that ogun has been one of the to rice producigng states in the country for a very very long time.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5036161_img20170320223426_jpegfce863288c8bc51ae3fb0d741a03ecec

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4862213_fbimg1486984959697_jpeg92c0b1b91c4c85a479327f5f1c7e315d

where can I buy these ofada rice and how much is it? is it only in ogun state?
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by wabbyland(m): 11:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
nototribalist:
popping up and popping out, that's rubbishh, 95% of lagosians didn't even see the sack then to talk of eating it

it was and its still being sold in lagos. I bought it in December and someone bought at the beginning of this month. pls stop spreading lies
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by scholes0(m): 11:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
wabbyland:

They have Pre Packaged quantities on Jumia and Konga.
I think local rice stalls also have it.

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by wabbyland(m): 12:14am On Aug 10, 2017
scholes0:

They have Pre Packaged quantities on Jumia and Konga. I think local rice stalls also have it.
thanks bro for the info
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:23am On Aug 10, 2017
I'm surprised a massive state like Oyo, the biggest state in the South of Nigeria and bigger than all SE states combined ranks at the bottom. They have massive agricultural potential.

As for those criticizing the SE, incase you hadn't noticed, we have the smallest landmass by far in the country. It's hardly a surprise we can't commit wide, open fields for farming compared to much larger regions with less population density. Ebonyi, the least urbanized SE state with the lowest population and population density are the ones with land to farm. I'm surprised we had as much as 9%.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Markfemi: 1:14am On Aug 10, 2017
Stkilda:

Bro, the truth is that the majority of the Yoruba love the Igbo and would hate to see them leave. I would be disappointed otherwise because the feeling is mutual. I can only say that your hatred for the Igbo is personal and I hope that you are able to get it all sorted.

Speak for yourself
I have no love or hatred if they want to go they should go !
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:02am On Aug 10, 2017
Afam4eva:

I'm not in any way downplaying the importance of Agriculture. I'm only concerned that you think just because the north produce most of what we eat, that they are some our greatest asset without baring the fact that agriculture adds very little or nothing to our income as a country. The Agriculture in the north is mostly beneficial to the people who own those products and are selling it to us. Getting people to sell agricultural products has never been a problem. The day the north stops providing it, cameroon or any other country that wants to make money will do so. It's all for profit. Nothing in the south has been built as a result of the agricultural strides of the north. It has only benefited them. Until Agriculture is included in the exclusive list, i don't think anyone should be going about talking as if the north is doing us a favour.

If there's anything that can thump the oil been provided by the Niger Delta it is the human capital that the south as a whole possess.

Nigeria hasn't even been exporting any rice, while they've been exporting wheat ($170.40 per ton), sorghum ($166 per ton), and especially palm oil ($613 per ton) https://www.nairaland.com/3978186/palm-oil-production-states-nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:04am On Aug 10, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
I'm surprised a massive state like Oyo, the biggest state in the South of Nigeria and bigger than all SE states combined ranks at the bottom. They have massive agricultural potential.

As for those criticizing the SE, incase you hadn't noticed, we have the smallest landmass by far in the country. It's hardly a surprise we can't commit wide, open fields for farming compared to much larger regions with less population density. Ebonyi, the least urbanized SE state with the lowest population and population density are the ones with land to farm. I'm surprised we had as much as 9%.

How much rice does Nigeria export versus palm oil in the SE?

Look:

ezeagu:
According to data collators IndexMundi, Nigeria exported 18,000 metric tons of palm oil (compared to 152,000 in 1964) consistently from 2008 to 2017 at 0% growth rate as noted in other sources posted here and 5,000 metric tons of palm kernel oil (37,000 in 1966) and 2,000 metric tons of palm kernel oil seed (437,000 in 1960) and 75,000 metric tons of palm kernel meal (179,000 in 1999) in 2017. Together that is around 100,000 metric tons of oil palm industry exports from Nigeria.

https://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=palm-oil&graph=exports
https://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=palm-kernel-oil&graph=exports
https://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=palm-kernel-oilseed&graph=exports
https://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=palm-kernel-meal&graph=exports

The current price of palm oil (Malaysia) is:

$613.00

U.S. dollars and cents per metric ton

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=palm-oil

The June 2017 price of palm kernel oil (Malaysia) is:

$1030.00

U.S. dollars and cents per metric ton

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=palm-kernel-oil
https://www.nairaland.com/3978186/palm-oil-production-states-nigeria

Nigeria exports 0 tons of rice, according to indexMundi. This isn't including how much palm oil and rice is used within Nigeria, obviously. Of course, this is nothing compared to Malaysia's 21 million metric tons of palm oil exports.

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by MichealMbaEmeri: 4:26am On Aug 10, 2017
[s]
pazienza:
The last time there was hike in price of imported rice.
The effect was so highly felt in the North, so much that the Sultan of Sokoto had to intervene.

The North depends highly on foreign rice to to complement whatever they produce. SW not only depend on Foreign rice, they also depend on Kebbi for local rice.

This is the reality on ground, not some silly stats made up by an Afonja Muslim called Sule to get his fellow afonjas thumping their chests like chimpanzees.
[/s]

This jobless son of a mad woman is always crying and ranting everywhere like his late mother. Afonja this and that like they are responsible for your misfortune and poverty rocking your life. Go get a life and stop disgracing your cursed family online. Mschew

5 Likes

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by KissCODE(m): 4:56am On Aug 10, 2017
nextprince:

But what I don't understand is what exactly is the SE contributing in this obodo?

What exactly does the word "parasitism" mean?
Nothing absolutely NOTHING... but STILL Nigeria DON'T WANT THEM TO GO. This is the part I don't understand...
Nigeria should allow them to go and starve to death...
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by aribisala0(m): 5:23am On Aug 10, 2017
KissCODE:
Nothing absolutely NOTHING... but STILL Nigeria DON'T WANT THEM TO GO. This is the part I don't understand...
Nigeria should allow them to go and starve to death...
Who says Nigeria does not want the to go?Do they themselves want to go OR are they just attention seeking children?

They want to go and they keep leecting rpresentatives who insist on stayind like Okorocha.

The fact that people insist on an orderly approach does not mean they don't want them to go. Tou cannot get a referendum by street protests in a democracy. What about the people who don't protest but express themselves by voting.

Tell us why not one Eboe Senator has raised the issue of Biafra in the Senate ? Why elect Stella Oduah and Andy Uba who are committed to one Nigeria?

Why is Orji Uzor Kalu begging for one Nigeria?
Why has none your State Houses of Assembly passed a single resolution calling for Biafra?

You have people in the House of Reps NOT ONE has called for Biafra

DID ANYONE IMPOSE THEM ON YOU?

Nnadi Kanu has been advised to form a political party or join one.. Is there anywhere referendums happn that the instrumentality of protests and not political parties are used. Make it an electoral issue.
Whatever happens we are neighbours so we cannot allow Chaos on our door step that will lead to problems for us.
It makes you feel important to keep saying no one wants you to go but the reality is different .We cannot allow the precedent of any part to break away via street protest.You mustt follow due process of law. If all the FIVE SE states pass resolutions calling for a referendum and all you senators call for a referendum then we shall see what happens.

Let us look at a case study.

The IRA or Irish republicaan Army for years terrorized the UK with their agenda to break away from the UK and join the Republi of Ireland. Why has there not been a referendum in Northern Ireland but there has been in Scotland. ? After many years of bombings the IRA were forced to push their agenda through elections and consistently have failed to secure a majority in the devolved government.Rather the Pro-Union DUP have won all elections.

The IRA are like IPOB full of sound and fury but no substance. If you want to leave you must push that agenda through a political party. IPOB should form a party ,contest for Senate and House of Representatives and when they win those seats refuse to sit and boycott the institutions. The IRS party Sinn Fein does not want to be mefged with Englans in the UK .Its elected MPs to London refuse to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen and so they never take their Westminister seats even though they are a minority compared to the ProUnion Democratic Union Party DUP.

Today the Government at Westmnster is a coalition between the Conservatives and the DUP. Back home in Belfast in the local government the DUP dominate snd so there has bee no call for referendum Despite the fact that the IRA were for years very destructive and as a result Northern Ireland was essentially occupied by the British Army as a result. When push came to shove the IRA was not as popular as it believed.

In summary REFERENDU WILL NEVER HAPPEN via street protests but through politics and elections. Elect IPOB Senators and Governors then we will take you seriously

2 Likes

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by ezeagu(m): 6:26am On Aug 10, 2017
pazienza:
The last time there was hike in price of imported rice.
The effect was so highly felt in the North, so much that the Sultan of Sokoto had to intervene.

The North depends highly on foreign rice to to complement whatever they produce. SW not only depend on Foreign rice, they also depend on Kebbi for local rice.

This is the reality on ground, not some silly stats made up by an Afonja Muslim called Sule to get his fellow afonjas thumping their chests like chimpanzees.

Nigerians rely on tubers, actually, not so much rice, according to OP's source.

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Sanchez01: 7:02am On Aug 10, 2017
Curlieweed:

I don't understand how we play politics with simple economic facts.

How da fvck can you say that someone is doing you avfavour because the government essentially forces you to buy his products. Do you know that rice, corn or whatever grains that are sold by the Northern farmers are all more expensive than imported varieties of the same commodities. And this is even after very prohibitive import taxes.

If you think anyone is doing anyone any favour, remove all prohibitions on food importation and find out who is actually doing the other a favour.
Where did you pull the emboldened from? How you guys arrive at some illogical conclusion is laughable.

Sadly, most of you don't and won't learn. We are neck deep in this forex trouble because we import more than we export and you are still asking that prohibition on importation be removed.

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Sanchez01: 7:05am On Aug 10, 2017
wabbyland:

You could get it in Lagos. If you are in any of the states in the SW, you could check out malls around you.

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by asunmoGGMU(m): 7:05am On Aug 10, 2017
ucheuzor1:

This very lazy, drug traffikers, 419, money ritualists and good for nothing Igbos said they don't want to be one Nigeria again. Oya let them go na, una say no.

I bet you that if the Igbo's leave Nigeria, you will be amazed at what the Igbo's will achieve.

'Oya let them go....'

Who is holding 'them' down please? Leave that irritating rhetorics.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Sanchez01: 7:07am On Aug 10, 2017
nototribalist:
95%? How did you arrive at 95%?

This same rice is still being sold in Lagos presently and you're still cooking some 95% figures.

2 Likes

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Curlieweed: 7:29am On Aug 10, 2017
Sanchez01:

Where did you pull the emboldened from? How you guys arrive at some illogical conclusion is laughable.

Sadly, most of you don't and won't learn. We are neck deep in this forex trouble because we import more than we export and you are still asking that prohibition on importation be removed.

You're conflating too many sentiments in your reply. Which is the conclusion and which is the fact( or alleged fiction)? Find out the international prices of those commodities and compare to your local prices.

Secondly, banning or imposing punitive duties on imports is the wrong approach to solving your perceived forex issues. You just end up punishing your own citizens through the implied (retrogressive) taxes while encouraging and even perpetuating local inefficiencies. The correct approach is usually to concentrate on areas where you could develop potential comparative advantages and maximize those and then trade. This is Econ 101, for goodness sake.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by fkj950ax(m): 8:07am On Aug 10, 2017
totit:

WTF..who's talking about bank whatever you call it here grin We talking about rice production this one is saying something else. wink

But why will every state want to produce rice at the same capacity?
This is just another arm chair divisive post.
Read up about competitive advantage.
There are lots of stats in the world that makes no educated sense to compare them with each other.
Rice production by region is one. The comparison can never be balanced.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by marvin902(m): 8:47am On Aug 10, 2017
naturalman:

You should be very ashamed that with the small land mass of SE that is far less than Oyo state, they are even close to the SW with just 6% margin....
you should be very ashamed...

oga shut up your mouth if you got no better thing to say..
was i the one bragging about their rice production...
its not my fault that the SE don't know how to hide they stupidity undecided undecided\
blame the SE not me

1 Like

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by Praktikals(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2017
nextprince:
But what I don't understand is what exactly is the SE contributing in this obodo?
Their 'developmental' strides within and especially outside the country nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by lonecatt(m): 10:09am On Aug 10, 2017
nextprince:
[s][/s]

Stop spamming my mention with junks.

Is there any capital in the ne, nw, ss? Why must there be a capital in the se? For what?

Pls, stop spamming my mention with junks.
i will continue mentioning you until you stop making tribalistic statements,lalasticlala take note,
it is less informed people like you that make hate speech thereby making the country boil over,common rice topic you turned it to tribal war ground.i can see how educated you are .
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by lonecatt(m): 10:12am On Aug 10, 2017
nextprince:
[s][/s]

Stop spamming my mention with junks.

Is there any capital in the ne, nw, ss? Why must there be a capital in the se? For what?

Pls, stop spamming my mention with junks.
an educated person does not engage in street talks like you do,infact you are a disgrace
when educated people talk you too dey talk.
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by totit: 11:17am On Aug 10, 2017
fkj950ax:

But why will every state want to produce rice at the same capacity?
This is just another arm chair divisive post.
Read up about competitive advantage.
There are lots of stats in the world that makes no educated sense to compare them with each other.
Rice production by region is one. The comparison can never be balanced.

The emboldened doesn't even make any sense, and I can't remember mentioning that in any of my comment on here. cheesy
By the way, may I remind you again that these..thread is all about regional capacity and production wink

Thiiiiik yuuuuu undecided
Re: The Largest Rice Producing States And Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (Photos) by kn23h(m): 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
totit:

The emboldened doesn't even make any sense, and I can't remember mentioning that in any of my comment on here. cheesy
By the way, may I remind you again that these..thread is all about regional capacity and production wink

Thiiiiik yuuuuu undecided

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / 179KG Yam Harvested In Akokwa, Imo State (Photos) / This Cow Was Sold For One Million, One Hundred And Fifty Thousand Naira (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.