Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,940 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

"Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" (5442 Views)

The Question Most Christians Fail All The Time / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? / Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 9:22pm On Feb 11, 2010
You will not go wrong in reading this article, full of substance and relevance to the christian and non-christian alike.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100204/theologian-most-christians-infected-with-prosperity-gospel/index.html

Most professing Christians in America are infected with at least some measure of the health and wealth gospel, said one theologian. That is, believers have no concept of a love and a joy that does not eliminate hardship and heartache, Sam Storms of Bridgeway Church in Oklahoma City said at a pastors conference this week.

"For most professing believers if God is love He must promise to minimize my struggles and maximize my pleasure," he lamented. Many believe it's their spiritual birthright to experience comfort and prosperity and that it's God divine obligation to provide it. It's a disease that's rampant in the culture and in the church. People are inundated with messages from powerbrokers, media, entertainment, TV evangelists and bestselling authors that say joy is inextricably bound up in material prosperity, physical health, relational success and all the comforts and conveniences Western society provides.

For most people, joy and suffering are incompatible, Storms noted. Thus preachers have a difficult task at hand in communicating to such a culture a genuine joy found in Christ. The so-called prosperity gospel that teaches wealth and good health is a sign of God's favor and blessing is prevalent in the church, Storm lamented. Underlining the seriousness of the problematic theology many preachers have picked up, the Oklahoma City pastor called it a "corrosive and disintegrative pox" on the church and "a disease far more infectious and ultimately fatal to the soul than the worst bubonic plague and the affects it might have on the human body."

"We have to fight this infection in the body of Christ," he emphatically told pastors at the Desiring God conference in Minneapolis. But the blame for the rampant "disease" shouldn't fall on the TV evangelists, Storms noted. "I want to lay it (the blame) at our feet," he said.

"It's the pastors and leaders of the church today who fail to explain from the biblical text how hardship and tribulation are actually used by God to expose the superficiality of all the human material props on which we rely," he explained. " We failed ,  to show ,  how hardship and persecution and slander compel us to rely on the all-sufficiency of everything God is for us in Jesus." That failure has left most professing Christians unable to grasp "the simple truth" that "infinitely more important and of immeasurably greater value than our physical comfort in this world is our spiritual conformity to Christ," Storms noted.

And conformity to the image of Christ is orchestrated through trials and hardship. "If I suffer it is because God values something in me greater than my physical comfort and health that He in His infinite wisdom and kindness knows can only be attained by means of physical affliction and the lessons of submission and dependency and trust in Him that I learn from it," he said. "That's how suffering serves joy."

Everyday people are hearing about a joy less durable and far inferior than the one offered by God. Yet, Storms asked pastors, when was the last time you expounded on the nature of the fullness of joy, ,  the superior beauty of God? Citing the work of 18th century theologian Jonathan Edwards, Storms advised pastors on how a "Christian hedonist" should preach on the pursuit of joy.  "The pursuit of God brings 'delights of a more sublime nature', 'pleasures that are more solid and substantial . . . vastly sweeter, and more exquisitely delighting, and are of a more satisfying nature . . . that exceed the pleasures of the vain, sensual youth, as much as gold and pearls do dirt and dung,'" he said, reading from Edwards' sermon "Youth and the Pleasures of Piety. "

He continued, "Loving God 'is an affection that is of a more sublime and excellent nature’ than the love of any earthly object. Such love is always mutual, and thus the love one receives from Christ 'vastly exceeds the love of any earthly lover.'" "Edwards argued that the problem isn't the pursuit of pleasure but the willingness of uninformed minds to settle for comparatively inferior joys when God offers us unsurpassed and far more durable delights," Storms explained. The Bridgeway pastor reminded fellow ministers that delighting themselves in the Lord isn't a choice, but a command and duty. Sin, he said, is denying a fillet mignon so you can fill your bellies with rancid ground beef.

We are not pursuing pleasure without God, but in Him, Storms stressed. Speakers at the Feb. 1-3 Desiring God conference devoted their talks on the foundation of Christian Hedonism, a term coined by Desiring God's John Piper, and the pursuit of joy.

Bob Blincoe, U.S. director of Frontiers in Phoenix, Ariz., defined Christian Hedonism as "the desire for God," "desiring Him more than all other things" and "the confidence that there is nothing else worthy of our desire, nor rival treasure to treasuring Him."

"Christian Hedonists ,  neglect every distraction, every attraction, every seduction, every sinful thought, and every temptation because we have set our hearts on the far exceeding treasure: God Himself," Blincoe said
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 9:23pm On Feb 11, 2010
I only wish more pastors and church leaders in positions of power, had the spiritual guts to preach this gospel of selflessness and self-denial on a regular basis.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 11, 2010
never mind
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 9:10am On Feb 12, 2010
I sincerely hope our resident pastor here on the forum pastor agbaje has read and reflected on the article above. wink
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 10:08am On Feb 12, 2010
God wants you to be rich. Poverty is a curse.

It is not the will of God for anyone to be poor. Poverty is a curse.

Proverbs 14:20
   The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

Proverbs 10:15
   The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.

Proverbs 22:7
   The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

A poor man cant help anybody,not even himself. But God wants us to be great enough to help others and be a blessing.

Genesis 12:2
   And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

The devil detroys people's lives and destinies. Especially in Africa, anybody that tries to excell will be brought down .witchcraft activities  paralyses helpless families. but the good news of the gospel is that there is way out.

Luke 4:18
   The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

The good news is that the captives can be free, the poor can be rich.

2 Cor. 8:9
   For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

The Greek word for "rich" plouteo: means to be wealthy and increase in goods.
Paul was given a mandate by Christ to deliver men from power of satan into their inheritance

Acts 26:18
   To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the[b] power of Satan[/b] unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and[b] inheritance[/b] among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Inheritance Gk Kleros: heritage by birth,aquisition

Paul didnt forget his mandate.

2 Cor. 6:10
   As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many[b] rich[/b]; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

The word "rich" Gk Ploutizo: to make wealthy,rich
God wants us to succeed in all areas in our lives; spiritualy, health,academics,finances and business.
John , the closest desciple to Jesus expressed his ernest desire for the church.

3 John 1:2
   Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Greek ,euodoo : means to succeed in business affair, to prosper. Jesus didnt die for us to suffer.

Most people that attack the message on prosperity meant well ,except that they lack the true understanding of prosperity.

Prosperity is not just about money but a total package. A state of total well being. God has given us all things to enjoy, but we dont live for ourselves we are blessed to bless others, a poor man cant help anybody.

1 Tim. 6:17
   Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

There is difference between wealth and worldliness. If i make millions ,I should be willing to give out in millions. When a man acquire and refuse to give, it is worldliness and covetousness and greed.The bible is against that.
Question, why is every christian not rich.?
Answer     He must first believe it is God's will for him to prosper, then follow Gods laid out principles .He needs to grow in knowledge.
Galatians 4:1
   Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child,is not different from  a servant, though he be lord of all;
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by viaro: 11:06am On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

It all depends on what you mean. If by 'rich' you are pointing to materialism, then quite the opposite is true - God does not want His children to be focused on materialistic pursuits ("if riches increase, set not your heart upon them", Psa. 62:10).

There are many things that are of more value than an urge to pursue wealth and material riches. I'll give just one for now - "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold" - Prov. 22:1.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by nuella2(f): 11:23am On Feb 12, 2010
viaro:

It all depends on what you mean. If by 'rich' you are pointing to materialism, then quite the opposite is true - God does not want His children to be focused on materialistic pursuits ("if riches increase, set not your heart upon them", Psa. 62:10).

There are many things that are of more value than an urge to pursue wealth and material riches. I'll give just one for now - "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold" - Prov. 22:1.
Did you read this part?
Prosperity is not just about money but a total package. A state of total well being. God has given us all things to enjoy, but we dont[/color] live for ourselves we are [color=#990000]blessed to bless others, a poor man cant help anybody
God wants us to succeed in all areas in our lives; spiritualy, health,academics,finances and business.
Prosperity is not acquiring wealth just for yourself(greed) but becoming a blessing to others.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 11:35am On Feb 12, 2010
viaro:

The bibles you have in every hotel place there by thee Gideons, do you know how much Billions are involved?. God desire for you is not just to have enough but to overflowing, So that lives can be touched. We are not talking about aquisition for selfish reasons here. But people should know that the average mediocre life is not God's plan.
A man that is self centered will only enter labour

Proverbs 23:4
   Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.

Tim. 6:9
   But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

But a man who is rich unto God is different, he makes money with a purpose , which is to expand God's kindom. and reaching the unreached.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by viaro: 11:37am On Feb 12, 2010
nuella2:

Did you read this part?
Prosperity is not just about money but a total package. A state of total well being. God has given us all things to enjoy, but we dont[/color] live for ourselves we are [color=#990000]blessed to bless others, a poor man cant help anybody
Prosperity is not acquiring wealth just for yourself(greed) but becoming a blessing to others.
^^ Hi nuella, yes I read through his post as it is not my style to read people half-ways before I comment. That was why I started out by asking what he might have meant by 'rich'. If by 'rich' he was focusing on materialism, then something is wrong somewhere.

When you say that 'a poor man cant help anybody', in what sense do you mean 'poor' if it is not about money and material things? If that is the case, perhaps you failed to realise that while Joseph was in prison and was financially poor, the Bible shows that he was of great help to those in prison because the LORD was with him (Gen. 39:21-23). Did you forget that as well?

Let us be careful the sort of statements we make. The idea that 'a poor man can't help anybody' is an old mantraa by WOF (Word of Faith) proponents that is largely ignorant. I have seen many 'poor' people around the world (whether Christians or unbelievers) actually helped people than a rich man would contemplate if he had the opportunity to do the same.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by viaro: 11:44am On Feb 12, 2010
Thank you, Joagbaje. I am not attacking you but rather making an observation about the first line of your previous post. It is patently false to say that poverty is a curse - you don't just make statements like that and run off with it. That was why I first tried to understand what you meant by 'rich', and if you meant materialism, then you got it all wrong.

Most WOF proponents will tell us that we should be rich with a 'purpose' (I am not accusing you of being a WOF proponent); but in reality they preach such messages because of their insatiable desires for material wealth under the guise of preaching the 'goodnews'. Yes, we need money to bring the Gospel to far out regions and unreached people, such as the Gideons' example - but have you noticed that even the Gideons will not solicit for money like WOF preachers do?

We need to balance our messages and not despise the poor. To assert that poverty is a curse is one reason why flamboyant pastors despise the poor (please note that I'm not putting all pastors in a box).
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by nuella2(f): 11:48am On Feb 12, 2010
@Viora
A man that has recieved the gospel of our lord Jesus christ is not a poor man. Poverty is not just the lack of money but a mentality. A mentality of helplessness. Joseph was not poor in prison, he had God(DREAMS ALSO).A poor man is an hopeless man(without God), he cannot help another person.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 11:56am On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

It is not the will of God for anyone to be poor. Poverty is a curse.

Proverbs 14:20
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

Proverbs 10:15
The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.

Proverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

A poor man cant help anybody,not even himself. But God wants us to be great enough to help others and be a blessing.

Genesis 12:2
And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

The devil detroys people's lives and destinies. Especially in Africa, anybody that tries to excell will be brought down .witchcraft activities paralyses helpless families. but the good news of the gospel is that there is way out.

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

The good news is that the captives can be free, the poor can be rich.

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

The Greek word for "rich" plouteo: means to be wealthy and increase in goods.
Paul was given a mandate by Christ to deliver men from power of satan into their inheritance

Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the[b] power of Satan[/b] unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and[b] inheritance[/b] among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Inheritance Gk Kleros: heritage by birth,aquisition

Paul didnt forget his mandate.

2 Cor. 6:10
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many[b] rich[/b]; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

John , the closest desciple to Jesus expressed his ernest desire for the church.

3 John 1:2
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Greek ,euodoo : means to succeed in business affair, to prosper. Jesus didnt die for us to suffer.

Most people that attack the message on prosperity meant well ,except that they lack the true understanding of prosperity.

Prosperity is not just about money but a total package. A state of total well being. God has given us all things to enjoy, but we dont live for ourselves we are blessed to bless others, a poor man cant help anybody.

1 Tim. 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

There is difference between wealth and worldliness. If i make millions ,I should be willing to give out in millions. When a man acquire and refuse to give, it is worldliness and covetousness and greed.The bible is against that.
Question, why is every christian not rich.?
Answer He must first believe it is God's will for him to prosper, then follow Gods laid out principles .He needs to grow in knowledge.
Galatians 4:1
Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child,is not different from a servant, though he be lord of all;

Just when i thought you had repented and turned from your mamon ways cry . Why don't you stop forcing meanings into scripture and concentrate on the true teachings of christ without adding your own or pastor chris own to it
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by viaro: 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2010
nuella2:

@Viora
A man that has recieved the gospel of our lord Jesus christ is not a poor man. Poverty is not just the lack of money but a mentality. A mentality of helplessness. Joseph was not poor in prison, he had God(DREAMS ALSO).A poor man is an hopeless man(without God), he cannot help another person.
I hope you saw that I was very careful to qualify my statements so that you're not left in any doubts? I never once suggested that Joseph was poor mentally - rather I said that he was "financially poor", and also noted that the LORD was with him, quoting the direct verses to show what I meant. I have not seen any reason for me to believe that you guys are more concerned about other areas of wellbeing than the materialistic aspect, otherwise you would not be at pains to keep emphasizing the same thing over and over again. Materialism is not the core of the saving Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ - that was not why He came or why He gave His life for us.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by nuella2(f): 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2010
@viora
A man that has christ is already rich, Jesus came so we can be saved i know. But it is my fault that he also became poor so i might be rich and that by his wounds am healed. So should i just shout am saved and not shout am rich and healed?
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by mbaemeka(m): 12:40pm On Feb 12, 2010
@ kunleoshobi

you have come again. leave Pastor Chris out of it. you believe "prosperity preaching" is for covetous christians then you go on and sell your things (cafe inclusive) and give the earnings to the poor. God will reward you greatly for it. wink

Martin luther, a former catholic priest turned refomer said if the devil wants to paralyse the church he'd convince them to believe that poverty is of God and that God humbles his people occasionally using ailments and diseases. so if you are propagating that notion too i.e (prosperity preaching is wrong) then you are unwittingly endorsing the bad news of the devil. if i may ask, what do you think salvation is all about? going to heaven? no thats just one of its benefits- salvation is all encompassing and i'm pretty sure you'v heard all this things before i'm only puzzled as to why you are head strong concerning what you believe. if salvation was about heaven only alot of us would have gone to heaven by now but God left us here to reach the unsaved, to proclaim liberty to the captives, to heal the sick, to preach the gospel to the poor, salvation is consummated when we are heaven bound, prosperous, healthy, efficient you know this dont you?

do u knw its impossible to teach the real gospel of Jesus christ without making many rich?do u know when we say "if being prosperous is going to make me disobey God then God shoudnt make me prosperous" is to say the least BLASPHEMOUS! because we are telling God indirectly that there was no need for Christs death since  the reasons christ came  was to give us ZOE- Gods life. my dear that life is all encompassing and it sure doesnt endorse poverty.

in one post you were commending TB Joshua for giving a lot towards the haiti cause, now how would he have been able to raise such amount (3mill $) if he wasnt loaded? hope you know having money and being prosperous are two entirely different things all together. what do you think jesus meant when he said blessed are the poor in spirit?

my advise for people like you is that if after seeing this you still hold on to your satan supported scheme then you should do so by encouraging yourself(ves) only, dont come here casstigating others for not seeing it the same way you do.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 12:52pm On Feb 12, 2010
@ viaro

Whatever you mean by Word Of Faith. The name doesnt sound negative to me. Have you read this passage;

Romans 10:8
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Or is there any other Word Of Faith?
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 1:07pm On Feb 12, 2010
@mba emeka
I bring pastor chris into this becos he is one of the demons responsible for spreading this false prosperity gospel that the devil sent them to preach to deceive christians and rob them of their salvation.

The TB Joshua example you gave is does not hold water, he did not give becos he was loaded but he was able to give on behalf of his church becos he refused to mis-appropriate church funds for selfish yse a pastor chris is noted for and use the money as prescribed in the scriptures to meet the needs of those in need. Church funds don't belong to pastors, they are only custodians of it, they can either use it to serve God as directed in scriptures or mis-appropriate it like the agents of satan do.

It is evident from you post that you are already deeply sold out on this evil false gospel and that it would only take the saving grace of christ to re-claim your lost soul, so i won't bother to debate the issue wih you but leave you to God's mercy.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by PastorAIO: 1:15pm On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

The bibles you have in every hotel place there by thee Gideons, do you know how much Billions are involved?.

I'm sure Rocky Raccoon made a lot of money for John Lennon. Just because he found Gideon's bible in his hotel room. " But Gideon Checked out, . . . to help Rocky with his Revival".
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucSvl7VXVM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="[/flash]
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by PastorAIO: 1:17pm On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ viaro

Whatever you mean by Word Of Faith. The name doesnt sound negative to me. Have you read this passage;

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

You might find 'Word of Faith' in the bible but you will not find the movement that has misappropriated the term.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 1:38pm On Feb 12, 2010
nuella2:

@viora
A man that has christ is already rich, Jesus came so we can be saved i know. But it is my fault that he also became poor so i might be rich and that by his wounds am healed. So should i just shout am saved and not shout am rich and healed?

This is the truth many have not come to comprehnd, If a man has embraced Christ he has been lunched out from the realm of poverty to fulness of life. Poverty is a state of being , not just absence of money,  Any man that suffer today , his suffering is due to his ignorace. Jesus brought fullness of life.

One is not talking down on the poor, but this is the message the poor needs, There is no average health, The same power that granted dominion over sickness granted dominion over poverty.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 1:51pm On Feb 12, 2010
@ mba emeka

mba emeka:

@ kunleoshobi
in one post you were commending TB Joshua for giving a lot towards the haiti cause, now how would he have been able to raise such amount (3mill $) if he wasnt loaded? hope you know having money and being prosperous are two entirely different things all together. what do you think jesus meant when he said blessed are the poor in spirit?
my advise for people like you is that if after seeing this you still hold on to your satan supported scheme then you should do so by encouraging yourself(ves) only, dont come here casstigating others for not seeing it the same way you do.

A confused person is characterised by instability, Thats KunleOshob for you. Is he inside synagogue to know how money comes in and out. or in Christ embassy to know the activities. It takes demonic influence to make those kind of assertions.

Jude 1:10
But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 2:03pm On Feb 12, 2010
I am scared of people according to the persuations of Joagbaje. That even when truth is staring you dead in the face, you prefer to look to the left and continue in falsehood.

If you read the article, it is not calling for christians to live in poverty or to be materially poor. It is saying to strive not to be materially rich, but to seek joy and satisfaction in GOD, in the pursuit of knowing and understanding Him and His ways - not in physical wealth and comfort.

God wants us to prosper, He wants good for us as the scriptures teach, but we misunderstand what the word is truly saying because our definition of prosperity is so different from His, our definition of good, is so different from His.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 2:31pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

I am scared of people according to the persuations of Joagbaje. That even when truth is staring you dead in the face, you prefer to look to the left and continue in falsehood.

If you read the article, it is not calling for christians to live in poverty or to be materially poor. It is saying to strive not to be materially rich, but to seek joy and satisfaction in GOD, in the pursuit of knowing and understanding Him and His ways - not in physical wealth and comfort.

God wants us to prosper, He wants good for us as the scriptures teach, but we misunderstand what the word is truly saying because our definition of prosperity is so different from His, our definition of good, is so different from His.
I know your big brothers sent you to paste such article, It is against God's plan for a new creation. There is no provision for sickness ,struggle and poverty in Christ. Do you what it means to be one with the father?
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 2:41pm On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

I know your big brothers sent you to paste such article,
I'm honored Pastor and Kunle would be considered my "big brothers" lol. Infact self they know me very well.

There is no provision for sickness in Christ.
False. Paul, Timothy, Job just to mention a few that struggled with their health.

There is no provision for struggle in Christ.
False again. Paul again, Job again, Joseph, Daniel, David and practically every prophet in the OT.
Philippians 1:29
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but[u] also to suffer[/u] for him

Perhaps Paul was just telling a joke here?

There is no provision for poverty in Christ.
You would do well to heed to Proverbs 30:8-10

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
       give me neither poverty nor riches,
       but give me only my daily bread

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
       and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
       Or I may become poor and steal,
       and so dishonor the name of my God.

Was this writer also joking just like Paul?
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 2:52pm On Feb 12, 2010
@Arte
This people have sold their souls to mamon it would takea lot more than showing them scriptures to show them that they are following a flase gospel. The scriptures is very cear on this and Agbaje being a pastor is quite aware of this, but they have been trained to twist scriptures / ignore any part of the scriptures that does not encourage their lust for filthy lucre. Imagine he even once called James the brother of christ a "baby" christian just becos James writings contradict their filthy teachings.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 3:04pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

Perhaps Paul was just telling a joke here?
You would do well to heed to Proverbs 30:8-10

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
      and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
      Or I may become poor and steal,
      and so dishonor the name of my God.

Was this writer also joking just like Paul?

Childish prayer, Its not meant for a christian. So did God answer that prayer.

Deut. 8:18
   But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth.

im sure your bible didnt read "power to get poverty"

Paul never recomended suffering of sickness, but suffering of persecution.

2 Tim. 3:12
   Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 3:15pm On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

Childish prayer, Its not meant for a christian. So did God answer that prayer.
  Lol, this is a childish prayer? LOL  grin
Prv 30:8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

Do you know this prayer was written by Solomon? the wisest man according to the scriptures to ever walk the face of the earth? lol  grin oh the irony. I guess Kunle was speaking not only retrospectively but also prophetically when he said this:

KunleOshob:

@Arte
This people have sold their souls to mamon it would takea lot more than showing them scriptures to show them that they are following a flase gospel. The scriptures is very cear on this and Agbaje being a pastor is quite aware of this, but they have been trained to twist scriptures / ignore any part of the scriptures that does not encourage their lust for filthy lucre. Imagine he even once called James the brother of christ a "baby" christian just becos James writings contradict their filthy teachings.

Deut. 8:18
    But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth.

im sure your bible didnt read "power to get poverty"
Oh my bible definitely says those things too. But I don't see where it says to chase after it? do you? your definition of wealthy and riches are not the same as God's. That is the rock upon which you're constantly stumbling over.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by nuella2(f): 3:26pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

God wants us to prosper[color=#770077][/color], He wants good for us as the scriptures teach, but we misunderstand what the word is truly saying because our definition of prosperity is so different from His, our definition of good, is so different from His.
So how do God proper us? He prospered Abraham?(AND HE BECAME VERY GREAT)WHY? Was he SICK? BARREN? So what is your definition of PROPERITY.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by viaro: 3:30pm On Feb 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ viaro

There is a difference between 'WOF' as W[/b]ord [b]o[/b]f [b]F[/b]aith [b]movement and what Paul says in Romans 10:8. I'm sure you can see that the apostle was not saying that they preach a "movement", but we know that the WOF is a movement with very questionable premises.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Arte: 3:49pm On Feb 12, 2010
nuella2:

So how do God proper us? He prospered Abraham?(AND HE BECAME VERY GREAT)WHY? Was he SICK? BARREN? So what is your definition of PROPERITY.
Abraham is just ONE of thousands of credited men/women of faith in the bible. There are countless others who were 'poor', sick, struggled and died terrible deaths whom God approved of. Most especially look at the lives of the prophets, were they materially rich? or was it infact just the opposite?

God's idea of prosperity is most evident in the life of His son whom He sent. Was Jesus rich? did he go about preaching prosperity? did he seek to accumulate possessions and fancy cars? Infact what did he tell that rich young man to do? to give away all his wealth!

If we are to be christians - which means christ-like, which means to live as Jesus did, why are you chasing after wealth and prosperity when Jesus himself didn't? Jesus only concern was "doing his father's business" and being pleasing to God and we should be and seek the same.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by nuella2(f): 4:09pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

Abraham is just ONE of thousands of credited men/women of faith in the bible. There are countless others who were 'poor', sick, struggled and died terrible deaths whom God approved of. Most especially look at the lives of the prophets, were they materially rich? or was it infact just the opposite?

God's idea of prosperity is most evident in the life of His son whom He sent. Was Jesus rich? did he go about preaching prosperity? did he seek to accumulate possessions and fancy cars? Infact what did he tell that rich young man to do? to give away all his wealth!

If we are to be christians - which means christ-like, which means to live as Jesus did, why are you chasing after wealth and prosperity when Jesus himself didn't? Jesus only concern was "doing his father's business" and being pleasing to God and we should be and seek the same.
You didnt answer my question o? what is prosperity? I dont preach prosperity but i preach salvation, in salvation is properity and and healing. Should i preach sickness and povery because some christians were sick and poor in the bible. Let God be true, i will take Gods report not man.
Isaiah 53:5
    But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Because Timothy was sick do not mean we should preach that people remain sick.

SALVATION IS A PACKAGE THAT INCLUDE PROSPERITY, HEALTH, PEACE, JOY AND ABOVE ALL THE SAVING OF A MAN(SINNER).
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Patjoe: 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2010
I used to believe poverty is humility and that God gives us sickness to humble us. now i know better.He took away my pain , my diseases, my poverty. Aleluyah!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Paypal £100, Right Answer! / [video] Raw Egg Boiled Without Fire By Nairaland Babalawo / Why Is The Black Man The Most Undesired Man In This Satan Controlled World ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.