Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? (18255 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / "Buhari's 2-Day Visit To Lagos A Slap On Nigerian Christians" - Catholic Bishop / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by tollulope080(m): 9:33am On Aug 06, 2017
my pastor last born name is Jesus wen I heard I was like Jesus what ?I was told just Jesus, I mean who name his child Jesus but who am I to complain
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 06, 2017
It's a mark of respect and to enshrine the sacredness of the name...situations of jest or anger whereby people's name's are invoked in vain may be even more ridiculous if one bears the name....
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by LordOfNaira: 9:33am On Aug 06, 2017
Nedfed:

I'll
Even if I see his shoe, i'll worship it.
Never know your problem.
Much beta than you that worship human or idols

Quit projecting. We know it is you black Christians who knowingly or unknowingly worship humans (your pastors) and idols (the name "Jesus" and the picture of Robert Powell that you have in your houses and cars.)
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by internationalman(m): 9:37am On Aug 06, 2017
walls01:

you did not think hard enough before you say things, your unbelief have got in your perceptiveness. don't you know if one act contrary to his name the name becomes invalid?
Exactly my point. All I'm saying is names don't have any influence on our future turn out.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by walls01: 9:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Brownbarbie97:
The white man imposed religion(Christianity) on us to make us subservient, docile and "more tolerable" and it worked.
Now I'm a Christian,don't get me wrong but Christianity and religion as a whole is one of the reasons Africa is as backward as it is because Africans being the highly superstitious beings that we are over abuse these religions which is why we can't think and act but pray to our God to solve even the slightest problems.
Now back to the topic,as holy as he was,the name "JESUS" is really just a name which is why so many Latin Americans and the rest bear that name.They see nothing wrong in giving their kids such names but over here where we are so religiously inclined it is perceived as a taboo. These pple that brought us religion are more liberal and neutral about it than we the recipients.
Talk about being more holy than the pope,ha! grin

it
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by walls01: 9:41am On Aug 06, 2017
internationalman:

Exactly my point. All I'm saying is names don't have any influence on our future turn out.

OK now I understand you better
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by wolextayo: 9:42am On Aug 06, 2017
Cybertext:
Probably because we Nigerians are just too religious..... but I have friends that are called Jesu-tofunmi (jesu+other suffix) from the south west.
it means Jesus is enough for me. Just as we have Goddey or Godday in the east, does that mean they are God? Thanks
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by MissRaine69(f): 9:50am On Aug 06, 2017
charlesucheh:
the name JESUS means SAVIOUR, whilst CHRIST means ANOINTED... SO tell me, who can claim that his child is the anointed saviour of the world?
That's not correct actually as in the Western and Eastern Syriac Christian traditions the name Jesus does not exist they use the Aramaic Yeshu and Yisho and not Jesus that name arose much later as biblical texts where translated over the many centuries from Aramaic- Ancient Greek - Latin - Old English - modern English. Yeshua/Jesus is used in many Coptic Christians as well as amongst the Jewish community. Jesus does not translate into ancient Amharic, Ancient Greek or Latin. Yeshua( which later became Jesus) means hear " a cry for saving , a saving cry , my help.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Mavrick2012: 9:52am On Aug 06, 2017
remi1444:
from my personal observation parent tends not to call their children Jesus because its a name above every other name by so doing we need to accord respect to it. you know some children who are stubborn if their parents intend scolding or yelling at them, dont you think they might say "JESUS ARE YOU CRAZY? They will out of anger(insult against our most high son, our mediator). so to prevent situations of them insulting our most high God son its better not to call their children JESUS.
sir, how about the Mexicans, Brazilians, Argentinians, Portuguese etc that name their children Jesus?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by dabwan123(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2017
Alajiki:
I have observed that no Nigerian bears the name Jesus. Is it a taboo?

Jesus and Joshua means the same... "Jehovah saves"
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Martin0(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2017
MissRaine69:

That's not correct actually as in the Western and Eastern Syriac Christian traditions the name Jesus does not exist they use the Aramaic Yeshu and Yisho and not Jesus that name arose much later as biblical texts where translated over the many centuries from Aramaic- Ancient Greek - Latin - Old English - modern English. Yeshua/Jesus is used in many Coptic Christians as well as amongst the Jewish community. Jesus does not translate into ancient Amharic, Ancient Greek or Latin. Yeshua( which later became Jesus) means hear " a cry for saving , a saving cry , my help.

So it definitely have a different meaning in brazil ..
You are right..I agree with you..!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by tunary(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2017
You don't have fear and respect abi. why don't you think of naming your child Jehova?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by olowobaba10: 9:56am On Aug 06, 2017
THAT IS HYPOCRISY , WE NAME THEM JOSHUA, EMMANUEL , SAVIOUR ,SO WHY NOT JESUS
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by MissRaine69(f): 9:58am On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

So it definitely have a different meaning in brazil ..
You are right..I agree with you..!!!
Good morning
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Martin0(m): 9:59am On Aug 06, 2017
MissRaine69:
Good morning
Goodmorning,how was the night na?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Ositebello1(m): 10:01am On Aug 06, 2017
Opistorincos:
It's a sacred name to us and it'll definitely cause confusion if we all start naming our kids that
africa in darkness. africa is confuse, football call jesus art tattoo heaven never came down. jesus is just a name nothing else.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

but why do u talk so much

y do much thirst
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

y so much thirst

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 06, 2017
Brownbarbie97:
The white man imposed religion(Christianity) on us to make us subservient, docile and "more tolerable" and it worked.
Oh come on. Religion didn't make anyone docile. Guns did. Okonkwo wasn't hit by a Bible on the head and walked into prison. The sight of a gun was enough to tame him.

Brownbarbie97:
Now I'm a Christian,don't get me wrong but Christianity and religion as a whole is one of the reasons Africa is as backward as it is because Africans being the highly superstitious beings that we are over abuse these religions which is why we can't think and act but pray to our God to solve even the slightest problems.
What kind of a Christian are you madam? Christianity contributes to backwardness, but your progressive self still follows it, albeit non-religiously. Make up your mind already about what Christianity means to you.
As for religion, the white man didn't "dash" religion to anybody. People were already religious before the white man showed up. Rest assured you would be worshiping something else today if there were no Christianity. And people will continue to be religious.
Man's penchant for superstitions is no respecter of skin color. A black man is no more gullible than a white man. "Yahoo" boys have proven that much. Here, read about Westerners being conned. Not done with religion. Just plain old human stupidity. It was Abraham Lincoln who said (before anything like Nigeria came to be) you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time.... He recognized human gullibility.
If we assume for a moment that religious affiliation is a factor in determining a people's success at nation-building, then you would be justified in calling out Christianity in that regard. But your argument is severely discounted if you consider the fact that the modern West was built on solid foundations of Judaeo-Christian thought. So either Christianity has no input at all in nation-building (which the experience of the West discounts) or the people of Nigeria has failed itself.

Brownbarbie97:
Now back to the topic,as holy as he was,the name "JESUS" is really just a name which is why so many Latin Americans and the rest bear that name.They see nothing wrong in giving their kids such names but over here where we are so religiously inclined it is perceived as a taboo. These pple that brought us religion are more liberal and neutral about it than we the recipients.
I will ask you again, what does Christianity mean to you? The name Jesus is not "JUST" a name. It is the name at which mention every knee must bow Philippians 2.10. Are you so independent thinking that you cannot even respect the name of Jesus? Then follow your heart and head and away with the label.

Brownbarbie97:
These pple that brought us religion are more liberal and neutral about it than we the recipients.
Their abandonment of the faith doesn't mean that the faith has been proven wrong. So I wonder what your point is with this line.
Moreover they are as much a recipient of the faith as "we". Read the great commission go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28.19. We only came later in the line of reception. There is only one messenger and message, Jesus Christ (Gal 1.6 - 8 ). All of us are recipients, black, white, brown. Stop making it look as if some white guy invented the whole thing and shoved it down some black guy's throat in order to control him.

Brownbarbie97:
It is very possible to be holier than the pope. The papacy is an office not a person. Even the pope goes to confession. Lay men and kings have been canonized but not all popes have been canonized.

You seriously have to reconsider your relationship with Christianity. You are the very problem you lament. Imagine a "Christian" saying that Christianity is a problem. Sorry to say it, but you don't know what it is to be a Christian, and your type is the majority, sadly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by TundeHashim(m): 10:04am On Aug 06, 2017
remi1444:
from my personal observation parent tends not to call their children Jesus because its a name above every other name by so doing we need to accord respect to it. you know some children who are stubborn if their parents intend scolding or yelling at them, dont you think they might say "JESUS ARE YOU CRAZY? They will out of anger(insult against our most high son, our mediator). so to prevent situations of them insulting our most high God son its better not to call their children JESUS.
so if they say "Emmanuel, are u mad?"..haven't u transgressed!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Shafiiimran99: 10:05am On Aug 06, 2017
tuscani:
Any person can bear the name Jesus. But the name nobody should bear , and intact nobody bears the name is CHRIST.
They do bear christ. It is u that av not seen it
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by uvalued(m): 10:07am On Aug 06, 2017
internationalman:
And yet in Africa they say the name we bear has influence on our future turn out. The irony now is that despite this believe nobody seems to b naming their children Jesus.
Africa is a confused continent.
get behind me satan...africa is blessd with great minds ... our priorityis set...in Jesus Name
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Agimor(m): 10:07am On Aug 06, 2017
That name is reserved for the most high only per se.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 06, 2017
torres89:
Jesus is a Greek word
some Greeks bear Jesus
it's not just come in Africa
Emmanuel which is the synonym of Jesus is preferred here

Jesus is English language.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Martin0(m): 10:11am On Aug 06, 2017
Evaberry:

y so much thirst
hiashocked negodu nu eva oo..
See abeg oooo when did u start thinking like thisshocked
Why so much thirstshocked
Eva eva na wa for u oooo
See honestly this where I spend my time outside hustle hence there is no baby attached to my life I resort to spending my time with all this girls here,grin
If they don't chat with me I keep disturbing dem and we start talking,missrain can attest to how is disturb her life b4 we became besties
Jus lik how I disturb ur life b4 u started talking aswell..grin
Life goes on girl no time to be sad ooogrin happiness counts
Do what make's u happy and forget about what people saygrin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by uvalued(m): 10:13am On Aug 06, 2017
Brownbarbie97:

i dislie the saying white man is africa's reason for backwardness. stop using what the whiteman has imposed on you such as te internet ...blaming instead of using your God given brain to cause growth...keep living in the past...by disconnecting from the internet....
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Martin0(m): 10:16am On Aug 06, 2017
Evaberry:

y do much thirst
u are gradually changinggrin
I love thatgrin
U need to join the happiness train ooogrin
Forget what people are sayinggrin
Me I can't sacrifice my happiness for the sake of some gullible and duluded Nairalander's..
gringringringringrin
Girl be happy with your life eee nairaland is a place of fun so enjoy urself and do what makes u happy..
This my own way of happiness I don't care what people may think or saygrin
Be happy oooo grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Shafiiimran99: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2017
charlesucheh:
the name JESUS means SAVIOUR, whilst CHRIST means ANOINTED... SO tell me, who can claim that his child is the anointed saviour of the world?
Those who designed christianity are claiming it and that why they naming their children Jesus and Christ cos they know Jesus or Christ is just a name. Some of u guyz said nobody can bear Christ, that is a lie cos many people do. The fact is that Jesus was a prophet not a saviour and God made clear in the OT that he is the only saviour and no one beside him

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Uchemus(m): 10:35am On Aug 06, 2017
internationalman:
And yet in Africa they say the name we bear has influence on our future turn out. The irony now is that despite this believe nobody seems to b naming their children Jesus.
Africa is a confused continent.
lol, nobody wants their child dying on the cross.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by walls01: 10:36am On Aug 06, 2017
0b100100111:
The Oyinbo man that sold the religion to them told them not to grin grin grin

sold? do people buy religion?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by einsteine(m): 10:39am On Aug 06, 2017
Joshua not Esau.

ozoneamani02:

Jesus is not a Greek word! The original text is "Esau". Its English connotation is Jesus. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Pharaoh9(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2017
remi1444:

Who made "Jesus" the Greek's name higher than the original Hebrew name Yahshua?

Stup!d people carrying foreign religion on their head pass the owners

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! / Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / Post Your Church Name And Your Position/Duty In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.