Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. (39985 Views)

Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning / Lady Shares Her Experience At The ATM Which Had More Than 20 Guys / Two Men Pose With The Money They Are About To Cash Out At The ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 10:02am On Aug 06, 2017
A handful of us have been victims of our ATM cards being seized by the Automated Teller machine and when this happens, it leaves us devastated. Have we been curious to really know the reason why this is so? This thread will try to give us highlights of some possible causes and enlighten us to properly use the ATM when next we visit.

(I highlighted some words for those who are ITKs. They won't read in between lines but jump into conclusion).

I would also call on Professionals in the banking sector to add to these points being highlighted so that we too can learn. Before I will start, let's have a brief Introduction about the ATM. Some of the points were culled from blogs.

An ATM (Automated Teller Machine) which is also called by some other names like ABM (Automated Banking Machine), Cash Machine or Cash Point is a self-help electronic banking device which is networked with financial institutions and performs financial transactions for clients. Modern ATMs can perform a variety of functions including cash withdrawal, cash transfer, cash deposit, utility bills payment, balance inquiry, obtaining the bank statement etc. Despite of all the advantages, ATM cards, Debit cards or Credit cards which are used at ATMs may get swallowed by the machine. There could be several possible reasons for this trouble which I have discussed below.

1- Inserting the card wrongly

There is a way to insert the card in ATM. You can find an arrow on one side of the card which indicates in which direction you have to push it into the card inlet of ATM. But if you do not do that way, ATM might fail to read your card and swallow it instead of returning it.

2- Having no balance or insufficient balance in account

Some ATMs are configured to hold your debit card or ATM card if you have no balance or insufficient balance in your bank account. That is an unfair policy to hold your card for that reason but it’s happening.

3- Using a faulty or broken card

Every card has the name of account holder written on it in plus a magnetic strip on the back which carries necessary details which is machine readable only. If for some reason the name or magnetic strip fades away, the ATM will not be able to read the card and might hold it. Same is true in case of using broken or bent card. It might get stuck inside.

4- Using a card in wrong ATM

An ATM is configured to support certain services like Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Maestro, American Express etc. If you insert a card into such an ATM which does not display the logo of your service, your card might be eaten by the machine.

5- Using an expired card

This is a big issue about which people do not care. If the card has crossed the expiry date, the card becomes useless. Putting that into the cash machine might get swallowed by it.

6- Using the blocked card

If you lost your card, blocked it and later recovered it but didn’t unblock it or your card was blocked by the provider due to the violation of any term, using such blocked card will alert the ATM and it will simply eat up your card.

7- Use of reported card

A stolen card must be reported immediately. Such cards become useless even if you recover them. Using such cards will result into alerting the cash machine and holding your card.

8- Out of order ATM

This is one of the biggest issue which can create troubles for users. An out of order machine can swallow your card instead of returning it. The major cause for this problem could be the failure of any mechanical or electronic part inside the machine.

9- Entering PIN erroneously several times

When you use your card at an ATM, you have to enter the PIN before proceeding to services menu page. If you have forgotten the actual PIN and enter it erroneously several times, ATM will hold your card considering it a stolen card or a theft attempt. Sometimes, mistakenly entering wrong PIN more than once can result into the same.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by 0b100100111: 10:07am On Aug 06, 2017

10.) When the VPN (Village Peoples Network) is on your case

109 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by StRichard(m): 10:11am On Aug 06, 2017
Don't you know there are faulty automated teller machines that swallow card without any reason.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 06, 2017
I think points 1&2 isn't true.

1. The card is supposed to be inserted from the side that has the black arrow but when one mistakenly try the other side the machine rejects the card instantly.

2. I've used machines where I had insufficient balance but rather I was notified I couldn't carry on the transaction, and my card was rejected. The only reason I know the ATM holds back the card is when the password is entered wrongly more than once.

29 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 10:19am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
I think points 1&2 isn't true.

1. The card is supposed to be inserted from the side that has the black arrow but when one mistakenly try the other side the machine rejects the card instantly.

2. I've used machines where I had insufficient balance but rather I was notified I couldn't carry on the transaction, and my card was rejected. The only reason I know the ATM holds back the card is when the password is entered wrongly more than once.
there is a word "might"...

You failed to see that

And also in point number 2, you failed to see the "some ATM's are manufactured to hold cards that have insufficient balance.. Benita.. What's wrong?

20 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 10:20am On Aug 06, 2017
StRichard:
Don't you know there are faulty automated teller machines that swallow card without any reason.
this is enveloped in point number 8..

Go back and study it

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
there is a word "might"...

You failed to see that
For those reasons I outlined, there's no "Might" 'cause the machine never holds back one's card.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 10:25am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
For those reasons I outlined, there's no "Might" 'cause the machine never holds back one's card.
please which ATM have you designed in your life?

12 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by 48noble(m): 10:26am On Aug 06, 2017
that no 5
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nutase: 10:29am On Aug 06, 2017
Some of your points are no true sir.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Martin0(m): 10:30am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:

Beni Benigrin
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
please which ATM have you designed in your life?
Do I need to design an ATM card or the machine to know that?.

15 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

Beni Benigrin
How fa?, happy Sunday.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Martin0(m): 10:40am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
How fa?, happy Sunday.
I jus dey ooo.. Wish u same ooogrin Abeg dey enjoy ur stay for hear na,, If u enter better trend we go talkgrin
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

I jus dey ooo..
Wish u same ooogrin
Abeg dey enjoy ur stay for hear na,,
If u enter better trend we go talkgrin
Talk about?. grin
I'll soon be going off sef 'cause have got a lot to attend to today.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Martin0(m): 10:56am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
Talk about?. grin I'll soon be going off sef 'cause have got a lot to attend to today.
Eh eh ok ooo,grin As u dey attend to make sure say u dey register me into any goodies ooogrin
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Oblitz(m): 10:58am On Aug 06, 2017
same reasons some guys (ATM) withhold their side chicks alawee
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Tattooboy: 11:14am On Aug 06, 2017
No 1 & 4 are definitely not true. You tried tho
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 06, 2017
Dingbang, I'm sorry for that comment. Think I went overboard with it, and I've been uncomfortable. Will modify.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 06, 2017
The only day an ATM seized my card was when I withdrew and forgot it in the machine went back the next day couldn't find my card cry
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 11:34am On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
Dingbang, I'm sorry for that comment. Think I went overboard with it, and I've been uncomfortable. Will modify.
my apologies too

2 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by eluquenson(m): 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ok you tried but number 2 & 4 is absolutely wrong

3 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by fratermathy(m): 1:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
The ATM may simply be hungry.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by kings09(m): 1:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
Many of diz reasons arent except 1 n wat exactly is d point of dis thread cos dis is neither newsworthy nor info-worthy.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by KendrickAyomide: 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
why not give me 9 reasons why buhari has not returned
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by maxiuc(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
Some Atm are just wicked

Money you no see

Card you no see

3 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by thickminaj(f): 1:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
Nice one op
other reasons include... Bad luck, village people dem.. undecided
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by KINGTELLER: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
Op... All you wrote is not the major cause of card trap... Cards are trap when card reader sensor is faulty... Mostly due to dust or bad magnetic head... Also, some customers forget to pick their card which causes the ATM to retract the card after some seconds

VickyRotex:
2 weeks ago, ATM overpaid me. grin I chatted their Twitter team up, and the lady was surprised. So according to her advise, I waited for about 3 days to see if I was going to be debited. (I knew I wasn't, cos it's possible the bills came out stuck to each other)
So I went back to the bank to return the money, and the guy was just looking at me like this cheesy cheesy

ATM over paying means dispenser belt or rollers are worn-out. Maintenance wasn't wasnt done on ATM to clean sensor area... Also it may be a host configuration problem
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 1:40pm On Aug 06, 2017
Let me share.

2 weeks ago, ATM overpaid me. grin I chatted their Twitter team up, and the lady was surprised. So according to her advise, I waited for about 3 days to see if I was going to be debited. (I knew I wasn't gonna be debited, cos it's possible the bills came out stuck to each other)

So I went back to the bank to return the money, and the guy was just looking at me like this shocked shocked He was like, this is rare. He had to go call someone to help him out, on how to handle the return. I was just laughing cheesy cheesy In my mind, I said "Mi kin je nkan, oni nkan, molu temi"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by sotall(m): 1:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
OK

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things You Didnt Know About Pablo Escobar. The Greatest Businessman Of Alltime / Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy / Coke, Fanta Prices To Increase As FG Imposes N10/litre Excise Duty On Carbonated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.