Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills (21211 Views)

CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits / Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 / Skye Bank Customers Don't Panic - 10 Things To Know About Skye Bank Takeover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2017
dunkem21:

Do you wanna invest your money?..

I will list all the options, then you can choose. wink

Alright I'm all eyes
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by davodyguy: 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2017
magoo10:

Yes I did ,the financial system is sick.
there is problem somewhere

Which problem? You guys just post on topics you have no idea on.

I have been investing in TBs since only god knows when. I have been getting upfront and also getting my money after the due dates.

This gives money to FG to fix things

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by magoo10(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2017
nextprince:

Pls read it again, this time, slowly.
who issues treasury bills?
who regulates the banks?

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by okoliexpress: 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2017
you sef.. how can you get 18% monthly interest..
northvietnam:

are you serious....

18%per month from CBN. ?

throw more light if you don't mind
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by CarlosTheJackal: 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2017
skarlett:

Oh wow, that's really cool

So Tier 2 banks are not comfortable with this development, yeah
Yes because these are money that should come to them to engage in business like giving out loans and also investing in other money market

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by mapist(m): 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
davodyguy:
I'm bidding this Wednesday definitely.

My stock broker is taking 1%, whilst i go with 17.5%

Oga, bid thru a bank..no form mugu.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
Rexphobia:

You can still sell your bills before maturity (you will be charged penal fees sha). You can also play in the secondary market where you buy treasury bills with your preferred maturity...45 days, 13 days...

I concur..although easier said than done. Banks will also charge you for premature termination.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by magoo10(m): 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
davodyguy:

I have been investing in TBs since only god knows when. I have been getting upfront and also getting my money after the due dates.

you are confusing yourself ,who says treasury bills have a problem.you don't even know when you started investing in treasury bills.

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
Yes because these are money that should come to them to engage in business like giving out loans and also investing in other money market

..And that's all kiss
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Jerry2i(m): 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2017
I really need more insight on how this T.B works.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by ajebuter(f): 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
Even enemyofprogress/babangbali entire saving of N235:47k from his mai-ruwa work?

Vickyrotex joh, have mercy on him..
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by ip2121918021(m): 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
Rexphobia:

yes, the real rate of return is negative...but treasury bills rates are closer to inflation rate so it is still the preferred option between term deposits and tbills.

You will also notice that the investors referred to in the article are institutional investors seeking for risk free investments.

Alright, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone :]
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by davodyguy: 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
magoo10:
you are confusing yourself ,who says treasury bills have a problem.you don't even know when you started investing in treasury bills.

Yes, I don't cos i do 8 digits and not 7 digits. How many can you remember?

No bid this week, another is due next week Wednesday.

I think I know much about the bidding and its twice within 4 weeks
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by DRESIDENCE: 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
dunkem21:
Try us, Please. Treasury bills can't offer what I am about to give you..

I will give you 10% on your investment monthly and ensure you have a LIFE cover if anything happens to you while your money is with us.. God forbid!

Save your cash, save your LIFE!

Can you provide details?
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by farem: 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2017
nextprince:

Did you read the report? Just asking.

If you didn't, pls do, but if you did, then do again, but slowly the second time.
The nitwit can't help himself. He is so designed. He will never read talk less of understanding

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by davodyguy: 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2017
mapist:

Oga, bid thru a bank..no form mugu.

Why?

I did N5*(Fill in the gap) with them already and got a pay out in November, 2016. i.e 2015 to 2016.

Another one due February, 2018

Another Due August, 2018
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:

Oh okay, thanks for explaining. I understand now smiley
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by murphyrichy(m): 1:01pm On Aug 07, 2017
davodyguy:
I'm bidding this Wednesday definitely.

My stock broker is taking 1%, whilst i go with 17.5%
please i need to understanding how it works, wat if you buy it at 18.5% and it falls to 13.5 at the end of the maturity date. wont it affect you?
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by heo88(m): 1:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
skarlett:
Can someone please explain, the whole thing looks gibberish to me

Hi,

I hope you're good.

To summarise what you've read, businesses and individual people that have money to invest, want the best return. Rather than keeping their money in a (restricted) savings accounts, it is better to purchase short-term debt issued by the government (or in some cases responsible big businesses). Once this debt has expired (usually 3 months), the people and businesses that have invested their money will get a better return than keeping their money in a savings account.

I hope that makes sense.

CC. Zehner

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by mapist(m): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2017
davodyguy:

Why?

I did N5*(Fill in the gap) with them already and got a pay out in November, 2016. i.e 2015 to 2016.

Another one due February, 2018

Another Due August, 2018

You can do it with a bank at a very minimal cost.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2017
heo88:

Hi,

I hope you're good.

To summarise what you've read, businesses and individual people that have money to invest, want the best return. Rather than keeping their money in a (restricted) savings accounts, it is better to purchase short-term debt issued by the government (or in some cases responsible big businesses). Once this debt has expired (usually 3 months), the people and businesses that have invested their money will get a better return than keeping their money in a savings account.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes it does, thanks very much

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by galantjoe(m): 1:11pm On Aug 07, 2017
TB is best risk-free investment so far.

Bank stanbic ibtc is giving interest rate of 13% p.a. on term deposit of N1million and above
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by adetayo234: 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2017
abfalkolly:

N we shld be ready 2 face d multiplier effects on d economy

What would be the effect? Please explain
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by adetayo234: 1:15pm On Aug 07, 2017
northvietnam:

are you serious....

18%per month from CBN. ?

throw more light if you don't mind

Don't mind him. It is not 18% per month. I think it is 18% per annum.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by successman1234: 1:17pm On Aug 07, 2017
God punish bank people.

Who dem help?

let people get good return on their investment.

You hear every beginning of year, Zenith, gtb, uba back declares profit of billions after tax.

All those profit are our money.

all manner of charges, sms, atm, etc

They should look for creative ways to get money, we are all looking for money.

After all even those who do fixed deposit with them, get charged very high interest rate when they approach the bank for loan.

yeye people

Adesiji77:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/08/07/banks-in-dilemma-as-customers-investors-shun-deposits-for-treasury-bills/

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Acidosis(m): 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
It says instead of putting your 1million naira in Bank Fixed deposit to get 5% interest which is 50k, people are now buying Treasury bills which is around 18% interest that's about 180k in 60days

365 days, not 60 days. Available tenors on FG treasury bills are: 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.

Peradventure you're able to get 18% on a 3 month tenor, your interest still wouldn't be 180k. Rather, you'd get 180k/4 = N45k; 18% on a 6 month tenor will fetch you 180k/2 = N90k. Its a compound interest thing. Do not think N1m at 18% interest rate will get you 180,000 in 3 months or 6 months.. This isn't MMM. That will only happen when you inject your N1m for a whole year (365 days).

For instance, if you decide to invest N1m at 18%, 365 day tenor, you will get about N180,000 interest almost immediately, your principal (N1m) would be paid back, UNFAILINGLY, at the 365th day.

Your bank is only an agent/intermediary between you and the apex bank (CBN). Banks are not i/c of T-Bills, that's why many bankers don't know how it works, some that have T-Bills knowledge find it difficult to advise their customers. All things being equal, no banker will encourage a customer to invest in T-Bills, this is the reason customers need to be knowledgeable and take charge of their hard earned monies.

This is the summary of Federal Govt Treasury Bills.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Bizibi(m): 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2017
davodyguy:

is tb from the same commercial banks that run fixed deposits?
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Bizibi(m): 1:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
galantjoe:
TB is best risk-free investment so far.

Bank stanbic ibtc is giving interest rate of 13% p.a. on term deposit of N1million and above

it seems one need to divest in other areas..... The dark clouds in the oil industry is forcing us to look other avenue.......
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by realnas(m): 1:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
The money market fund that I have invested in gives me a juicy 17% ROI, the question I want to ask these banks is this how do you expect me to swap my 17% for ur miserable 2% ROI? Knowing that when I deposit my money with you, u guys use the deposits to purchase the same t bills .i will recommend a money market fund for investors bcoz it offers much needed diversification in terms of assets held and it costs very little to start investing with a money market fund

2 Likes

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Fynebouy: 1:53pm On Aug 07, 2017
Acidosis:

365 days, not 60 days. Available tenors on FG treasury bills are: 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.

Peradventure you're able to get 18% on a 3 month tenor, your interest still wouldn't be 180k. Rather, you'd get 180k/4 = N45k; 18% on a 6 month tenor will fetch you 180k/2 = N90k. Its a compound interest thing. Do not think N1m at 18% interest rate will get you 180,000 in 3 months or 6 months.. This isn't MMM. That will only happen when you inject your N1m for a whole year (365 days).

For instance, if you decide to invest N1m at 18%, 365 day tenor, you will get about N180,000 interest almost immediately, your principal (N1m) would be paid back, UNFAILINGLY, at the 365th day.

Your bank is only an agent/intermediary between you and the apex bank (CBN). Banks are not i/c of T-Bills, that's why many bankers don't know how it works, some that have T-Bills knowledge find it difficult to advise their customers. All things being equal, no banker will encourage a customer to invest in T-Bills, this is the reason customers need to be knowledgeable and take charge of their hard earned monies.

For those interested in learning about Treasury Bills, follow the Nairaland thread below. I came across this thread and changed my investment practice. My banker insisted I do Fixed Deposit for 3 years, I went from 11% to 6% in 3 years. He kept encouraging me to do Fixed Deposits and couldn't advise me on Treasury Bills. One day, I sat in Nairaland, took my time to go through all the available threads on Treasury Bills and came upon this one. Now my banker respects me because I call him, tell him what rates I am looking for and ask him to send me confirmation. Good luck.
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/244

4 Likes

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Fynebouy: 1:53pm On Aug 07, 2017
Acidosis:

For those interested in learning about Treasury Bills, follow the Nairaland thread below. I came across this thread and changed my investment practice. My banker insisted I do Fixed Deposit for 3 years, I went from 11% to 6% in 3 years. He kept encouraging me to do Fixed Deposits and couldn't advise me on Treasury Bills. One day, I sat in Nairaland, took my time to go through all the available threads on Treasury Bills and came upon this one. Now my banker respects me because I call him, tell him what rates I am looking for and ask him to send me confirmation. Good luck.
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/244
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by davodyguy: 2:01pm On Aug 07, 2017
murphyrichy:
please i need to understanding how it works, wat if you buy it at 18.5% and it falls to 13.5 at the end of the maturity date. wont it affect you?

lol. This one no be stock or shares

You have 500K. Instead of taking it to the bank and be getting small interest,

Give it to the federal government for development and in return, the fg gives you 18.5% and keep the money for 1 year.

After 1 year, the FG gives you your money back 100%.

500k investment from 7/8/2017, you get N90,000 tomorrow 8/8/17

Next year you get your 500k back in full

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Fastest Ways To Find New Customers For Your Business / Dangote's Nigeria Tomato Plant Resumes After Years Idling / FIRS Seals Ifeanyi Ubah’s Capital Oil Company In Efforts To Curb Tax Evasion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.