Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills (21216 Views)

CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits / Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 / Skye Bank Customers Don't Panic - 10 Things To Know About Skye Bank Takeover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Jethrolite(m): 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2017
nextprince:

Did you read the report? Just asking.

If you didn't, pls do, but if you did, then do again, but slowly the second time.
You are very polite.

MMM is no longer a threat to banks but they are facing a more critical assault from CBN, this is good for investors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by nextprince: 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2017
Jethrolite:
You are very polite.

MMM is no longer a threat to banks but they are facing a more critical assault from CBN, this is good for investors.
Thank you sir.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by LordofNaija: 5:26pm On Aug 07, 2017
dunkem21:

For Naija here, bros. Una dey call am AIICO insurance here, some dey call am ALICO abi ALIKO sef cool

..Wanna be an American?..

How do I subscribe
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Unclebrutus: 5:30pm On Aug 07, 2017
dunkem21:
Try us, Please. Treasury bills can't offer what I am about to give you..

I will give you 10% on your investment monthly and ensure you have a LIFE cover if anything happens to you while your is with us.. God forbid!

Save your cash, save your LIFE!
u gives 10% while treasury bill gives 18%. idiot!
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2017
Unclebrutus:
u gives 10% while treasury bill gives 18%. idiot!

Treasury bill doesn't give you LIFE cover!

I reserve the last word.. till you quote me again angry
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by aloeman15(m): 5:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
by this time next year oil price will be under $40pb.
save my post to quote me.
this is exactly what PDP was insulted for:
defending the naira, instead of saving for a rainy day and growing the non-oil sector.
we're repeating history, celebrating mediocrity and destroying our future.
return to recession by mid-2019.
bigass123:

Explain what you mean by multiplier effect on the economy
The fear before now has been that the frequent intervention by the CBN will affect our external reserves but so far, so good that school of thought has been proven wrong. So that to me means the CBN are up with their game.
Secondly, it's a good thing Nigerians are getting more enlightened, the banks will be on their toes to create better investment packages. Before now banks have access to easy money, they were not been innovative enough.
So, generally I feel this is a good development for the country..banks must create better investment offers and be able to woo investors. There must be competition for development to occur.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by correctguy101(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
skarlett:
Can someone please explain, the whole thing looks gibberish to me
Dem say people for Nigeria don dey wise well we'll dey read and get correct Tori. Dem talk again say nobody dey gree put money for fixed deposit again because the interest rate no big reach treasury bills own. And the thing dey affect money banks bad bad to the extent say if e continue like this, banks no go fit do business well and banks no go fit give people loan again.
that's y banks come dey allow their naira MasterCard again to gather more esusu.

open to correction, my own English sef dey rusty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 5:49pm On Aug 07, 2017
LordofNaija:

How do I subscribe

Simple. We give you a form to fill.. And you choose from a wide range of options. I will guide you through the ones that will yield higher returns. If your capital is very high, I will go over 10%.

Do you want to save or do you want to invest?.. In all these, your LIFE is assured!

..Think like an American wink
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 5:56pm On Aug 07, 2017
correctguy101:

Them say people no one put money for fixed deposit again because the interest rate no big reach treasury bills own. And the thing dey affect money banks bad bad to the extent say if e continue like this, banks no go fit do business well and banks no go fit give people loan again.
that's y banks come dey allow their naira MasterCard again to gather more esusu.

You no well cheesy Abeg o, nobody talk say make una no put money for fixed deposit again. Make dem still see money pay una brother's dem salary. Make dem still see money give people loan to dey do business o.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by correctguy101(m): 6:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
dunkem21:

You no well cheesy Abeg o, nobody talk say make una no put money for fixed deposit again. Make dem still see money pay una brother's dem salary. Make dem still see money give people loan to dey do business o.
Me no put money for treasury bills o. I hide am 4 pot under my bed. cheesy
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by penuelway(m): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2017
The good side to it is that you can even invest in a bill of less than 30days in the secondary market and still get a rate far higher than the FD rate. Other benefits of TBs includes; Upfront payment of interest, Interest not subjected to withholding Tax, Your money is with CBN and not the bank and many others including the fact that you can trade it in the secondary market through authorized agents.
Should you need further explanation on this and any other investment instruments like bond, shares etc, you can check my signature.
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by dunkem21(m): 7:07pm On Aug 07, 2017
correctguy101:

Me no put money for treasury bils o. I hide am 4 pot under my bed. cheesy

Bring am make I hide am wella for you. Any money you keep with me, is NOT taxable. If they have taken it from source, I will return it back to you through govt approved tax rebate policy.

Cut your TAX just like the Americans ..
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2017
davide470:
You are learning fast!

Basically, it is all the Tiered Banks that are not comfortable. Fixed deposit funds resides with the bank and they can make more money from your money, but Treasury bills funds goes to the CBN.

Ok, you're just the person I want to talk to

Make we talk for the other end wink

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2017
correctguy101:

Dem say people for Nigeria don dey wise well we'll dey read and get correct Tori. Dem talk again say nobody dey gree put money for fixed deposit again because the interest rate no big reach treasury bills own. And the thing dey affect money banks bad bad to the extent say if e continue like this, banks no go fit do business well and banks no go fit give people loan again.

You sabi kiss wink
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by mikolo80: 2:03am On Aug 08, 2017
davodyguy:

lol. This one no be stock or shares

You have 500K. Instead of taking it to the bank and be getting small interest,

Give it to the federal government for development and in return, the fg gives you 18.5% and keep the money for 1 year.

After 1 year, the FG gives you your money back 100%.

500k investment from 7/8/2017, you get N90,000 tomorrow 8/8/17

Next year you get your 500k back in full

what development? This wan seen De tif billion billion.no road no light no water
Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by correctguy101(m): 3:56am On Aug 08, 2017
dunkem21:

Bring am make I hide am wella for you. Any money you keep with me, is NOT taxable. If they have taken it from source, I will return it back to you through govt approved tax rebate policy.

Cut your TAX just like the Americans ..
I know say you care for me dats y you wan help me but thank you my pot neva break :-(

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by kaybams1(m): 8:34am On Aug 09, 2017
bigass123:

Explain what you mean by multiplier effect on the economy
The fear before now has been that the frequent intervention by the CBN will affect our external reserves but so far, so good that school of thought has been proven wrong. So that to me means the CBN are up with their game.
Secondly, it's a good thing Nigerians are getting more enlightened, the banks will be on their toes to create better investment packages. Before now banks have access to easy money, they were not been innovative enough.
So, generally I feel this is a good development for the country..banks must create better investment offers and be able to woo investors. There must be competition for development to occur.

It wasn't necessarily a 'school of thought'. It's like common sense in economic theory. And it's still common sense that our reserves increasing/decreasing in a decreasing rate is due to substantial increases in oil prices. Hence the ability of CBN to intervene in the first place. As regards banks bringing better investment packages, you need to understand that Banks rates is positively correlated with the Monetary Policy rate. CBN keeps sustaining the MPR at a high rate yet want banks to still increase their own interest expense. CBN is the lender of last resort, they regularly lend banks money and is the MPR they use as the interest rate. If MPR is low, Banks interest cost will follow suit, thus enabling them to increase their rates on Term deposits.

And lastly the Banking sector is the core steering CBN uses in achieving their targets and goals especially as regards price stability. The attractiveness of Tbills rates encourages economic leakage. Funds are being mopped out en masse to non productive uses from the people to Government. This causes a contractive effect on the economy, reduces money in circulation, demand for money and drives interest rates up. Whichever way you look at it, Banks still play a huge role in the financial stability of any economy. Government competing with banks isn't a good precedence and has harmful effects on the economy in the long run.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Customers, Investors Shun Deposits For Treasury Bills by bigass123(m): 7:13pm On Aug 09, 2017
kaybams1:

It wasn't necessarily a 'school of thought'. It's like common sense in economic theory. And it's still common sense that our reserves increasing/decreasing in a decreasing rate is due to substantial increases in oil prices. Hence the ability of CBN to intervene in the first place. As regards banks bringing better investment packages, you need to understand that Banks rates is positively correlated with the Monetary Policy rate. CBN keeps sustaining the MPR at a high rate yet want banks to reduce their own interest income. CBN is the lender of last resort, they regularly lend banks money and is the MPR they use as the interest rate. If MPR is low, Bank's interest cost will follow suit, thus enabling them to increase their rates on Term deposits.

And lastly the Banking sector is the core steering CBN uses in achieving their targets and goals especially as regards price stability. The attractiveness of Tbills rates encourages economic leakage. Funds are being mopped out en masse to non productive uses from the people to Government. This causes a contractive effect on the economy, reduces money in circulation, demand for money and drives interest rates up. Whichever way you look at it, Banks still play a huge role in the financial stability of any economy. Government competing with banks isn't a Good precedence and has harmful effects on the economy in the long run.

Very well said... Thanks bro for the heads up.
I was more enlightened

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote's Nigeria Tomato Plant Resumes After Years Idling / FIRS Seals Ifeanyi Ubah’s Capital Oil Company In Efforts To Curb Tax Evasion / 10 Fastest Ways To Find New Customers For Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.