Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,834 members, 7,798,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping (559 Views)

Your One Stop Dog Trainer / Evans Boma - Training Ur Puppies To Stop Nipping And Biting / Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping by ChellyN: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2017
My puppy's nipping is getting to much and the oyinbo method is what I can't do
Their method is
To stop your puppy from hurting people: to teach him to inhibit the force of his play-bites. It is not necessary to reprimand the pup, and certainly physical punishments are not called for. But it is essential to let your puppy know that bites can hurt. A simple "Ouch!" is usually sufficient. When the puppy backs off, take a short time out to "lick your wounds," instruct your pup to come, sit, and lie down to apologize and make up. Then resume playing. If your puppy does not respond to your yelp by easing up or backing off, an effective technique is to call the puppy a "Bully!" and then leave the room and shut the door. Allow the pup a minute or two time-out to reflect on the association between his painful bite and the immediate departure of his playmate.

PLEASE OPINIONS AM SURE AM not the only owner complaining and cats scratching too.
[/color][color=#770077] embarassed undecided cry grin cheesy

Re: How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 07, 2017
I scream hey !!
That's worked for all my pups over the years
With time the associate the scream to biting

Make sure the scream has an agreeable tone to it

But never I repeat never hit your puppy

Or you will end up breeding a cowardly dog
Re: How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping by Greene66: 3:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
TRAIN YOUR DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks. What works on the dog next door may not work for yours

There is a difference between your dog grabbing your hand for play and biting you. My dogs grab my hand a lot. Sometimes 2 of them at once grab one hand with their teeth. I don't complain. However, when they hold it hard (biting) or bite and run, I react.

My way of reaction isn't by saying 'Ouch'! Or screaming. All I use is a command I trained them with. I say "Back off!" or "Fvck off!" or "Stop it". When I say this, they walk away.

When I trained them with that command I associated the command with a few 'Tapping' and 'Spanking'. So whenever I say it, they assume I am about to spank them again, so they stop it. Isn't that the point of the whole thing? To make them stop!

I'm not encouraging beating your dog or whatever. Don't get me wrong but if your train them it won't be hard. The way I trained my dogs is my own way, you can work out your own way. If yo don't have an idea, try my method wink

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Help Me Out On This Breed... / What Are The Things You Love About Nairaland Pet Section / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.