Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car (33922 Views)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / Mercedes Benz S550 Armoured Sedan : The Official Car Of Prof. Yemi Osibanjo / 2016 Mercedes Benz S550: Review Of Dr. Bukola Saraki's Official Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by AutoReportNG: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2017
Ever heard of the popular Lagos slogan that says, " Eko Akete, Ilu Ogbon ". (Lagos, the centre of wisdom/knowledge). Lagos is a place where things happened in Nigeria, when Lagos sneezes, Nigeria, FG and even Africa catches the fever. Its been a while we analysed cars, specs and model. This time around, we deemed it to analyse the official car of Lagos Monarch, HRM Oba Ridwan Akinolu (The Olowo Eko). According to Punch Newspapers, Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, is one traditional ruler who does not need extensive introduction. The monarch, who is also a lawyer, retired as an Assistant Inspector-General of Police before ascending the throne of his forefathers in 2003.

As a foremost king in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, Akiolu lives in obvious and enviable opulence and royalty, which also reflects in the kind of cars he drives.

One of the cars that dot Oba Akiolu’s garage is the 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550, which costs tens of millions of naira in the auto market. This seems to be every politicians and every political figure wonder on wheels in Nigeria. From the acting president, to the senate president, to governors and lots more. This luxury car is unarguably among the finest automobiles sold today. It is elegant in everything it does and it is instantly recognizable for its iconic design. The car is so daring to the monarch that he has to customized it as "Olowo Eko"

We shall look at this wonders on wheels of the "Olowo Eko", the specs will amaze you. Of a true, the monarch deserves such.

Introduction
The S-Class full-size luxury sedan has long been the face of class, sophistication, and cutting-edge technology for Mercedes-Benz. The latest S continues the tradition with perhaps the most pampering cabin on the market and enough gadgetry to put technophiles into a state of utter bliss.

Overview
Supple leather, exquisite wood garnishments, and good metal trim cover every inch of the S-Class' interior, creating an air of old-world opulence. Fire it up and bring the electronics to life, however, and it immediately becomes apparent that the big sedan has all four wheels firmly planted in the 21st century. The S-Class is the world's first car to be able to detect and react to bumps thanks to an optional "MAGIC BODY CONTROL" system. This technology uses stereo cameras to scan for imperfections in the road surface ahead and prepare the chassis to smooth out any potholes or bumps.

Style and Power
Outside, the S-Class combines traditional touches like a formal, upright version of the corporate Mercedes grille with flowing surface detailing borrowed from the automaker's rakish four-door sedan models. Notably, the lighting system is comprised entirely of LED units - in fact, there's not a single incandescent lightbulb to be found inside or outside of the car.

Standard and Optional Features
Every S-Class model comes standard with a navigation system, a Burmester AM/FM/CD/SiriusXM stereo system, a panorama sunroof, heated seats, leather upholstery, a rearview camera, Bluetooth connectivity, full LED exterior and interior lighting, a power rear window sunshade, adaptive high beam assist and 18-inch alloy wheels.

Night View Assist Plus
Mercedes engineers managed to improve the S-Class' night-vision system with the introduction of Night View Assist PLUS, which is equipped a special pedestrian detection function. The Pre-Safe braking system has also been improved to reduce injuries in unavoidable crashes. Mercedes says the car can apply maximum braking pressure automatically around 0.6 seconds before what is recognized as an unavoidable accident. The system therefore acts as something like an "electronic crumple zone," Mercedes contends.

Occupant Safety
In addition to ABS and ESP stability control, the S-Class boasts nine supplemental restraints including two-stage front air bags, a knee air bag for the driver and pelvic air bags which work together with curtain and side air bags to provide extra protection for front occupants in dangerous side-impact collisions. Rear seatbelt airbags are optional. A standard "ATTENTION ASSIST" system can alert the driver to the first signs of drowsiness, a factor that causes more than 100,000 accidents a year in the U.S.A. A steering sensor is coupled to smart software that uses 70 parameters to establish a unique driver profile during the first 20 minutes of driving. Between 50 and 112 mph, the system identifies the erratic steering corrections drivers make as they begin to get drowsy and triggers an audible warning and a "Time for a Rest?" message with a coffee cup icon in the instrument cluster.

Specifications

General
Body Style: Sedan
Size: Full size
Market Segment: Luxury
Weight: 4740 lbs

Exterior
Length: 206.5 in.
Width: 73.7 in.
Height: 58.0 in.
Wheelbase: 124.6 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.75 in.
Front Track: 62.9 in.
Rear Track: 63.2 in.
Weight Distribution: TBD
Drag Coefficient: TBD

Interior - General
Seats: 5
Passenger Volume: 125.0 cu. ft.
Cargo Volume: 16.4 cu. ft.
Cargo Volume (Seats Folded): TBD

Interior - Front Row
Volume: TBD
Leg Room: 41.9 in.
Head Room: 37.8 in.
Shoulder Room: 59.1 in.
Hip Room: TBD

Interior - Second Row
Volume: TBD
Leg Room: 42.3 in.
Head Room: 38.5 in.
Shoulder Room: 58.7 in.
Hip Room: TBD

Propulsion
Fuel Type: Gas
Engine Type: 4.7L V8
Power: 429 hp @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 516 lb-ft @ 1800-3500 rpm
Transmission: 7-Speed Automatic
Highway Fuel Economy: 25 mpg
City Fuel Economy: 15 mpg
Forced Induction: Turbocharger
Direct Injection: Yes

Chassis
Layout: Rear Wheel Drive
Front Suspension: Double Wishbone
Rear Suspension: Multi-Link

Wheels
Front: 18" Aluminum
Front Tires: 255/45R18
Rear: 18" Aluminum
Rear Tires: 255/45R18

Trailering & Hauling
Trailer Weight: TBD
Payload: N/A
Tongue Weight: TBD

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/08/2016-mercedes-benz-s550-review-of-olowo.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Mynd44
Ishilove
Fynestboi

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by AutoReportNG: 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2017

1 Like

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2017
Nice car _I hope it doesn't fall into the lagoon cheesy.

Just a minute, isn't this the official car of the Nigerian President. This Oba is too much. Is his own also armoured?

I really admire the way Yorubas revere their traditional rulers.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by dennisworld1(m): 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
Class Says all
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by nurey(m): 8:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
Just passing by in my LS600H L

Baby if you give it to me
I'llgive it to you
I know what you want you know I gat it

I'll give it to you
As long as you want you know I gat it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Kufie(m): 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
nurey:

I'llgive it to you

I'll give it to you

Sadly the new LS is coming with a Turbocharged 6. Can't erase the feel of that LS560 from my memory
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by elog(m): 7:21am On Aug 08, 2017
OP Abeg don't allow me like the car

Car that can buy house grin
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Benjom(m): 7:23am On Aug 08, 2017
cheesy
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by okwyee(m): 7:23am On Aug 08, 2017
nurey:

I'llgive it to you

I'll give it to you

Are you sure these are snapshots from your own car? looks more like downloaded images.
By the way Who buys all these exotic cars for our traditional rulers ehn, Nigerians should fear God oo, i don't know the difference between this and my Mazda 626! So far it takes me from point A to B, Bleep exotic cars.

7 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 08, 2017
HMMM. How do I profit from this?

I don't even have money for a Benz 230

1 Like

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by 2bam: 7:24am On Aug 08, 2017
Mercedes-Benz and the rest.
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:24am On Aug 08, 2017
The s65 AMG coupe is my dream ride.

Check my signature guys and order for your auto parts today.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Exponental(m): 7:25am On Aug 08, 2017
Mercedes Benz, the slay ride!

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by martineverest(m): 7:26am On Aug 08, 2017
Really sad that op is just jobless.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:29am On Aug 08, 2017
If pastors can own private jets, then why can't the king?
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by halims008(m): 7:29am On Aug 08, 2017
Machine
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by chuksjuve(m): 7:33am On Aug 08, 2017
grin business before pleasure
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by CurrentSamuel(m): 7:34am On Aug 08, 2017
Unfortunately the car cannot take him or any other person to heaven .only Jesus Christ can

3 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 08, 2017
This whip is just too classy
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:38am On Aug 08, 2017
Image makers!

I bow for una, una head dey dere!

After Oba Lilwayne's goof and the resulting outcry, you gotta hand it to the PR crew getting the man's rep back!
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Misterdhee1(m): 7:38am On Aug 08, 2017
CurrentSamuel:
Unfortunately the car cannot take him or any other person to heaven .only Jesus Christ can
Hehen..Go and say that to your overseer buying jets every now and then..

13 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by kaykaymcb(m): 7:40am On Aug 08, 2017
Mercedes Benz above all
In other news I'm here as a graphic designer to draw out any worries
https://www.nairaland.com/3845207/portfolio-super-realistic-cartoons-manipulations-500naira

1 Like

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by stinggy(m): 7:42am On Aug 08, 2017
CurrentSamuel:
And who told you he cares about heaven
Hypocrites. They justify their G.O.s' insatiable taste for high end cars yet chastise non-church goers who do same undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by cuedish: 7:45am On Aug 08, 2017
okwyee:

Are you sure these are snapshots from your own car? looks more like downloaded images.
By the way Who buys all these exotic cars for our traditional rulers ehn, Nigerians should fear God oo, i don't know the difference between this and my Mazda 626! So far it takes me from point A to B, Bleep exotic cars.

You can only know the difference if you had driven any of these fu*king exotic cars.....CARS AIN'T VANITY.

8 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by VanBommel(m): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2017
There are only 3 cars in this world; Mercedes benz, BMW and others...
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Dottore: 7:51am On Aug 08, 2017
Why is it news that Oba Akiolu uses S550. Many Igbo hustlers use it too amongst many other luxurious brands like Rolls Royce, Bentley, Benz AMG63, countless G Wagons and so on. My class mate gave Audi S8 2016 to his dad for Xmas last year. Countless many drive BMW 7series. A family gifted an Aston Martin to the only boy in the family who became a Catholic priest yet they make no noise about it.

Next topic pls

10 Likes

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Horlawoomey(m): 7:53am On Aug 08, 2017
Same official car Jonathan used, same as Buhari. Presidential car is armoured though.

Op, can you give a review of one BMW series with V12 engine. I spotted one around Ikoyi earlier this year but can't remember the model again.
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by ExInferis(m): 7:53am On Aug 08, 2017
Why are you reviewing in the middle of 2017 a car built in 2015 and used in 2016?

1 Like

Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 08, 2017
Paradise on earth
Re: 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car by Coolgent(m): 7:55am On Aug 08, 2017
Insha Allahu i will drive this Car someday with halal money

9 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Brand New Peugeot Cars In Nigeria And Their Prices / Pal-V Launches First Commercial Flying Car / New Plate Number And Driver's License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.