Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Transitioning To Life In The UK For Nigerian Students. Part On - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Transitioning To Life In The UK For Nigerian Students. Part On (770 Views)

12-Year-Old Chika Ofili Awarded In UK For His New Discovery In Maths / Henry Suubi: Viral Photo Changed Makerere University Student's Life In Uganda / Tips For Transitioning To Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Transitioning To Life In The UK For Nigerian Students. Part On by LaaJiblik: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2017
Johnny Just Come. Transitioning to Life in the UK for Nigerian Students.
Part One: Good Evening Nigeria, Good Morning UK

This article is intended for Nigerians who are heading to the UK for postgraduate studies. The lessons in the article are applicable to scholars from other developing countries. For so many students, this is the first time they are leaving the shores of their home country with no idea of what to expect or how to handle certain situations in a foreign land. This introductory article focuses on how to prepare for your trip, handling finances, arranging accommodation and finally your departure and arrival in the UK.

Heading to the United Kingdom for the first time can be a daunting experience, especially for those coming from African countries. This is exacerbated by a totally different society and a system that functions on laid down rules and regulations that are followed to the letter.

Let’s start from the pre-trip preparation. I’ll be assuming at this point that admission to study in a UK higher institution has been secured, Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number has been received, UK Visa has been granted, and all that’s left is the inbound trip.

At this point, personal funds for the duration of the study might or might not have been sorted. Now let me pro-offer some advice, whether a student is being sponsored by relatives or on a scholarship programme, the full amount for maintenance during the studies should be secured. I know this might be difficult due to the enormous amount of funds required for an academic undertaking in the UK, but believe me, as a student you don’t want to get financially stranded on this side of the Atlantic. Unlike in our home countries where one can run around and “raise” funds from family and friends in emergency situations, such measures are almost impossible in the UK.

In the event that the full funds are on hand, pay upfront for a year of accommodation. In a lot of cases, student accommodation (both off and on campus) comes with all bills inclusive. I’d recommend this option for those spending just a year or eighteen months for an MSc. The advantage of this is that you don’t have multiple bills (internet, electricity, water, gas etc.) to be navigating through each month. The downside is that in a lot of situations like opening a bank account, registering with the National Health Service (NHS) or applying for a driving license you’ll need a proof of address, and this is usually a posted official utility bill (not printed from online accounts) with your name and address clearly stated on it. If the bills are being handled by the landlord, his/her name would appear on those bills.

In a situation where the bills are not included with the rent, you’ll have the option of paying for some of them monthly, quarterly or annually. I’ll recommend the monthly option, because bills stack up over time. A monthly bill of £100 is easier to digest than a quarterly bill of £300 or annual bill of £1200.

In a situation where the complete maintenance funds are not readily available at the start of the programme, be prepared for any eventuality with some savings. In some months, allowances from your family may be missed due to family emergencies. Scholarship agencies can experience delays in payment approvals, which could last months. Believe me you don’t want any additional strain from finances when studying in the demanding UK academic environment.

One more thing of note, if you are staying off campus, the norm is that you have to pay for the first six months up front (plus the equivalent of one and a half months rent as security deposit), while the remaining payments are monthly. The only alternative to this arrangement is to get a UK “guarantor” who will be responsible for paying the outstanding rent if you miss any payments. In a lot of cases, the guarantor has to earn a minimum salary before they can serve as a guarantor. This threshold varies, based on agencies and the cost of the rent.

Continue at http://www.drgrummy.com/johnny-just-come-part-one.html

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Top Best School Of Nursing In Nigeria / The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills / Check Now ABU Post UTME Result For All Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.