Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation (1868 Views)

INEC's Press Release On Bayelsa And Kogi Elections / IPOB Press Release On Choice Of Atiku As President / Nothing Connects Us To Igbos - Urhobo Progress Union Leader, Taiga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by fratermathy(m): 9:32am On Aug 10, 2017
A Statement by Urhobo Progress Union (UPU)
(On Behalf of the Urhobo People)

The Urhobo Nation is one of the major oil and gas producing ethnic groups in Nigeria with about 400 oil wells. Much of the gas reserves in Nigeria are also located in Urhobo land. It is noteworthy that Nigeria has the 7th highest gas reserves in the world and the highest in Africa. That makes the Urhobo Nation a major stakeholder in the Nigerian project, although it has remained short- changed on all fronts.
For some time now, there have been discordant voices on the way forward for Nigeria. In these circumstances, it is important that major stake holders in the Nigerian nation-building project should speak out on ways that will calm the current inflamed political situation while addressing Nigeria’s longstanding problems that do give rise to these excesses. It is in that patriotic context that the Urhobo Progress Union – representing the Urhobo people, the largest ethnic nationality in the Western Niger Delta and the fourth largest in the Nigerian Federation – wishes to state as follows:

(1) The Urhobo Nation believes in one Nigeria. We believe in a Nigeria built on fairness, equity and justice, principles which incidentally have guided the Urhobos in their interactions long before the entity called Nigeria came to be.
We believe in true federalism. In line with the 16-point resolution of the Southern Leaders Forum, the UPU wants a reversal to the 1960 Constitution where each region controlled its resources and contributed to the centre. The whole idea and practice of states of the Federation converging in Abuja – or of LGAs assembling at state capitals - every month to receive allocations, without which they cannot operate, is appalling. Such wretched dependency on central allocations kills industry and initiative.

(2) Nigeria is also an amalgamation of ethnic nationalities where the constitution however guarantees all citizens freedom of association. We have grown to be interdependent over the years as Nigerians move outside their lands of birth to other communities within the country to seek gainful livelihood. We implore those who have resettled in other communities to be respectful of the cultures of their host communities. Whether they are Igbo merchants or Fulani cattle herdsmen or any other class of workers, it is important that violence is eschewed in their relations with their host communities. The UPU, however, deplores the quit notice given by some groups for citizens of other ethnic groups to vacate their territory. The constitution gives no ethnic group such powers.

(3) Ultimately, peace and inter-ethnic harmony will only flow from good governance, especially at the Federal level, in Nigeria. The practice of crowding out certain ethnic nationalities from Ministerial appointments and other political offices violates the doctrine of “federal character” that is enshrined in the 1999 Constitution. It is one of the factors fueling ethnic and secessionist agitations. Our union should be based on merit, fairness, justice and equity.

(4) Urhobo Progress Union urges political leaders to summon the courage to restructure this country in a manner that will strengthen the states of the Federation to raise revenues, including taxes, and to independently manage their own resources. The ongoing amendment of the constitution is not far reaching enough to give us the true federalism we yearn for. Urhobo sons and daughter - and indeed all federal lawmakers - must do a lot more to match the expectations of their people who put them there.

(5) Apart from true federalism, which will bring more development to the federating units, improve the lives of our people and consequently reduce crime, the UPU believes our internal security apparatus, especially the police, should be reorganized to bring it closer to the grassroots. Criminal elements live in the midst of people and it is easier for the locals to track them down. Community policing should evolve to a major institution to help combat crime effectively, while we work out modalities to set up state police.

(6) Urhobo Progress Union makes this proposal in the full hope that a revamped federal system, which produces a new dynamism of economic growth, will have a positive outcome of providing ample room for Nigerian ethnic nationalities to interact without the conflicts that have led to the current crisis. The UPU will continue to work closely with the Southern Leaders Forum to forge a united front.

Signed:
Olorogun Moses Taiga
President, Urhobo Progress​
Union, Worldwide

Source: https://web.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=285918975218529&id=100014012868841&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6452559086343479138%3Amf_story_key.-4035182544326249620%3Atop_level_post_id.285918975218529&__tn__=%2As-R

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by fratermathy(m): 9:33am On Aug 10, 2017
cc:
Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon11
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun
TheKingisHere

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by OLORIPAPA: 9:57am On Aug 10, 2017
Nice one...more unity in the region among the groups will form a formidable force with huge results...

4 Likes

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by TheKingIsHere: 9:57am On Aug 10, 2017
Wow, so we have a whopping 400 oil Wells shocked

Damn. That's great.

2 Likes

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Afriifa(m): 10:02am On Aug 10, 2017
gbam!

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by TheKingIsHere: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2017
(4) Urhobo Progress Union urges political leaders to summon the courage to restructure this country in a manner that will strengthen the states of the Federation to raise revenues, including taxes, and to independently manage their own resources. The ongoing amendment of the constitution is not far reaching enough to give us the true federalism we yearn for. Urhobo sons and daughter - and indeed all federal lawmakers - must do a lot more to match the expectations of their people who put them there

I don't think restructuring will really help again at this point.

1. The restructuring committee is being headed by El rufai who is against restructuring. This is really laughable all thanks to apc.

2. The north is 100% against restructuring because they will suffer for their negligence all these years. So the house of representatives and senate will kick against it as the north seats are more than south

3. Delta State is cursed with useless leaders from time memorial. Uduaghan was useless to us and now okowa has taken useless to a whole new level. So even if we restructure, there will be no development, only massive looting.

4. The best solution or way out is for Nigeria to divide (if God allows it) so that every region and zone will sit up and take charge /care of her people.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by fratermathy(m): 10:20am On Aug 10, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

1. The restructuring committee is being headed by El rufai who is against restructuring. This is really laughable all thanks to apc.

2. The north is 100% against restructuring because they will suffer for their negligence all these years. So the house of representatives and senate will kick against it as the north seats are more than south

3. Delta State is cursed with useless leaders from time memorial. Uduaghan was useless to us and now okowa has taken useless to a whole new level. So even if we restructure, there will be no development, only massive looting.

4. The best solution or way out is for Nigeria to divide (if God allows it) so that every region and zone will sit up and take charge /care of her people.

The noise being made currently on restructuring is laughable because the powers that be are against it. However, I believe that Nigeria cannot escape the current agitation. There are only two ways in which this can go: restructuring or disintegration.

The political stratosphere has been heated too much that everyone is highly active and watchful. All the ethnicities, especially minorities, are keeping watchful eyes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by attackgat: 10:22am On Aug 10, 2017
For a minute there, I thought it was going to be one of those "we are not part of Biafra" statements that certain minorities use now and again to attract cheap publicity.

It is quite unfortunate for the Urhobo nation. They want restructuring but it wont be up to them if Nigeria is ever restructured. They dont have the luxury of seceding as this can only be achieved by any one of the 3 majorities as they are the only ones who have the numbers to pull it off.

In a essence, this entire statement by UPU or should I say Urhobos can be summarised as

"We Urhobos want a restructured Nigeria where we control our resources and politics. We are aware that the North will never allow restructuring to happen in Nigeria so we have resolved to become minority slaves who will eternally beg the North for control of our own resources.

Hopefully, 200 years from now, when North finally find Oil in the North, our slavery status will finally be lifted and Nigeria will be restructured"

I laugh in Swahili

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Efewestern: 12:20pm On Aug 10, 2017
attackgat:
For a minute there, I thought it was going to be one of those "we are not part of Biafra" statements that certain minorities use now and again to attract cheap publicity.

It is quite unfortunate for the Urhobo nation. They want restructuring but it wont be up to them if Nigeria is ever restructured. They dont have the luxury of seceding as this can only be achieved by any one of the 3 majorities as they are the only ones who have the numbers to pull it off.

In a essence, this entire statement by UPU or should I say Urhobos can be summarised as

"We Urhobos want a restructured Nigeria where we control our resources and politics. We are aware that the North will never allow restructuring to happen in Nigeria so we have resolved to become minority slaves who will eternally beg the North for control of our own resources.

Hopefully, 200 years from now, when North finally find Oil in the North, our slavery status will finally be lifted and Nigeria will be restructured"

I laugh in Swahili

you want us to believe restructuring won't be possible, but at the same time you want us to believe that secession will be possible, same way urhobo dream looks impossible to you and your ilks that's the same way your dream of secession looks funny to the urhobo nation.

On the issue of restructuring;

this is what all minorities want, you need to read the last publication from the itsekiri nation, almost same with this one.

Nobody will suffer when the country is been restructured, the north won't suffer, the east won't suffer, the west won't suffer, the reason the issue of restructuring is not gaining attention is because the majority ethic group are greedy and they think of only themselves.

SW only shout restructuring on the front page of newspaper , they actually don't want it.
SE actually don't need it, they need biafra
SS are the only group fighting for a well restructured Nigeria, because they know that's the only way to prosper

the north on the other hand will be forced to accept restructuring when other region agitate for it, but till then let every group keep fighting for their personal interest, don't insult the urhobo nation because they don't buy into your idea.

respect their decision same way they respect yours. thanks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 12:26pm On Aug 10, 2017
attackgat:

I laugh in Swahili

You are a brilliant chap. Let me add that the statement from the UPU is insipid - just the way our northern overlords like it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 10, 2017
Good one from UPU.I fully support our parent Pan-Urhobo body.On the papers,it is Federal Republic of Nigeria,but on real ground,there is no true federalism.
We will keep speaking our heartfelt agitation.Just as the constant dripping of water causes weathering of the rock,so our agitation will bring out the true federalism we so much desired.
As the call of restructuring is gaining momentum,we Urhobos need a paradigm shift in our mentality towards the development of our land.If we should get to the " promise land' with same crop of leaders at the helms of affair,it will make no difference.
UPU should set up their game in lobbying DTHA to ban open grazing in our state.We are tired of hearing those lanky AK 47-carrying guys raping our mothers in the farm.
Emu re Urhobo vwera emo re Urhobo.
Misiagware

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by YorubaNigga(m): 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2017
smiley
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by nototribalist: 9:24pm On Aug 10, 2017
Everybody just dey write long note these days. make I write my people own, no time.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by nototribalist: 9:31pm On Aug 10, 2017
The Urhobo Progress Union there is nothing like one Nigeria. AREWAS are using it to deceive us
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Efewestern: 10:08pm On Aug 10, 2017
DBriteLitehouse:
Good one from UPU.I fully support our parent Pan-Urhobo body.On the papers,it is Federal Republic of Nigeria,but on real ground,there is no true federalism.
We will keep speaking our heartfelt agitation.Just as the constant dripping of water causes weathering of the rock,so our agitation will bring out the true federalism we so much desired.
As the call of restructuring is gaining momentum,we Urhobos need a paradigm shift in our mentality towards the development of our land.If we should get to the " promise land' with same crop of leaders at the helms of affair,it will make no difference.
UPU should set up their game in lobbying DTHA to ban open grazing in our state.We are tired of hearing those lanky AK 47-carrying guys raping our mothers in the farm.
Emu re Urhobo vwera emo re Urhobo.
Misiagware

oniovo me, doh

you have spoken well, We won't relent till our goals have been achieved, all the same, am glad we are all speaking with one voice.

seun and lalasticlala let's hear from other Deltans.
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Sanchez01: 6:18am On Aug 13, 2017
This piece has always been my mindset from the the very beginning. What people must understand is that there is big, big difference between restructuring and True Federalism and Resource Control.

We don't need restructuring because it would still be tweaked to accommodate the anomalies on ground. Rather, Federalism. Weaken the centre and give each region the play ground to develop at their own pace, using their respective resources. The United States' model comes to mind.
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Efewestern: 6:26am On Aug 13, 2017
Sanchez01:
This piece has always been my mindset from the the very beginning. What people must understand is that there is big, big difference between restructuring and True Federalism and Resource Control.

We don't need restructuring because it would still be tweaked to accommodate the anomalies on ground. Rather, Federalism. Weaken the centre and give each region the play ground to develop at their own pace, using their respective resources. The United States' model comes to mind.

you can't achieve true federalism without restructuring. am glad we are all speaking with one voice, at least we know what we want.

I think our leaders have more to do, what about meeting other minority group that share same ideology with us, maybe we can align for a common cause, the majority ethnic group are greedy and domineering.

the north need to know that for Nigeria to move forward each region should as a matter of fact generate her own income, then with support from the centre to weak region, most states In NC are damm blessed I wonder why they are scared of true federalism.
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by DocHMD: 6:40am On Aug 13, 2017
Plenty turenchi. I thought was gonna be one of the numerous 'We urhobo hate Biafra but wants to live with fula cattlemen forever' thread. Seem them done buy brain afterall. grin grin

You have the right to believe in your so called 'one zoogeria'. I have the right to believe in my Biafra. That you enjoy being oppresed shouldn't stop others from seeking seperation from the unworkable zoo, your anti-Biafra propaganda nonetheless.

Dey there dey wait for restructure till you grow gemu like metuselah biabia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Amarabae(f): 6:55am On Aug 13, 2017
DocHMD:
Plenty turenchi. I thought was gonna be one of the numerous 'We urhobo hate Biafra but wants to live with fula cattlemen forever' thread. Seem them done buy brain afterall. grin grin

You have the right to believe in your so called 'one zoogeria'. I have the right to believe in my Biafra. That you enjoy being oppresed shouldn't stop others from seeking seperation from the unworkable zoo, your anti-Biafra propaganda nonetheless.

Dey there dey wait for restructure till you grow gemu like metuselah biabia.
Urhobos don't want Biafra.
Simple and short.
Even if they don't get restructuring, its none of your business.

3 Likes

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 13, 2017
Come and take true federalism now!
Southerners are politically clueless.
Come together ask for secession then settle for true federalism eventually.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by mpianya39(m): 8:36am On Aug 13, 2017
attackgat:

I laugh in Swahili

grin grin grin
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by SlayerForever: 9:53am On Aug 13, 2017
The firstclass citizens in the North will never agree to restructuring. They'll rather fight a jihad than ever yield to the calls for restructuring. I don't know why the whole Urhobo nation can't see this,same as most Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by DocHMD: 9:54am On Aug 13, 2017
Amarabae:
Urhobos don't want Biafra. Simple and short. Even if they don't get restructuring, its none of your business.
Are we putting a gun to their heads like Lugard did? Do you think we will forfeit Biafra because urhobo wants to remain in nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by michelz: 11:48am On Aug 13, 2017
Nothing new here.
I see them capitalizing on the current state of the nation (IPOB and all) to sound relevant.
I foresee them singing a different tune in no distant time when they are roundly ignored.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by ahaz: 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2017
Efewestern:

you want us to believe restructuring won't be possible, but at the same time you want us to believe that secession will be possible, same way urhobo dream looks impossible to you and your ilks that's the same way your dream of secession looks funny to the urhobo nation.

On the issue of restructuring;

this is what all minorities want, you need to read the last publication from the itsekiri nation, almost same with this one.

Nobody will suffer when the country is been restructured, the north won't suffer, the east won't suffer, the west won't suffer, the reason the issue of restructuring is not gaining attention is because the majority ethic group are greedy and they think of only themselves.

SW only shout restructuring on the front page of newspaper , they actually don't want it.
SE actually don't need it, they need biafra
SS are the only group fighting for a well restructured Nigeria, because they know that's the only way to prosper

the north on the other hand will be forced to accept restructuring when other region agitate for it, but till then let every group keep fighting for their personal interest, don't insult the urhobo nation because they don't buy into your idea.

respect their decision same way they respect yours. thanks.
When the time comes ww will know who is wise and who is the fool.....Time i say will tell.
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by OLORIPAPA: 3:44pm On Aug 13, 2017
The urhobo leaders are always the problem...dancing like drinkers after been overfed.They should put the needs and betterment of the urhobos first,not saying this today and tomorrow come with another lyrics.
The leaders should negotiate first with any of the parties either Biafra or Nigeria and see how the urhobos will benefit.Urhobo land has been the most neglected in delta.A huge chuck is given to the itsekiris and the ijaws most of the times.urhobo did not benefit anything from the past pipeline monitoring contract even though most of the pipe lines are in urhobo land, it was only itsekiris and ijaws that benefited and the so called leaders didn't make any reference to it....
Re: Urhobo Progress Union Press Release On State Of The Nation by Chiedu4Trump: 4:28am On Oct 24, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

God wants to divide Nigeria to save the Christian South.

When israel went into Idolatry, God divided Israel.

Read 1 Kings 12 and Note verse 24

wingman:
Come and take true federalism now!
Southerners are politically clueless.
Come together ask for secession then settle for true federalism eventually.

Very unfortunate but truly Southerners are politically clueless.
The North will never permit true federalism.
Also the only to stem the Islamic jihad is to break 9ja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiwTfPXs0fY

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Sen. Bukola Saraki Leads Other Muslims During Asri Prayers Today / We were alerted of DSS planned invasion of National Assembly-Saraki / Photos: Sen Kwankwaso Visits Former President Obasanjo In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.