Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (17403 Views)

White Man And His Friends Posed With Masquerade In Isua Akoko Ondo State..photos / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups That Make Up Akoko Ondo / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by step1: 5:45pm On Sep 13, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
hahaha if he catch u he go abuse u o. Dude is a full blooded benin while i think you might be yoruba

Lol he is not. Go and read his post. Also he is a very young man. I have researched on him. His mother is Benin while he is igbo.

Yes I am a full blooded yoruba man from Lagos state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2017
step1:

[s]Lol he is not. Go and read his post. Also he is a very young man. I have researched on him. His mother is Benin while he is igbo.

[/s]

Yorobaa man you better shut Up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
hahaha if he catch u he go abuse u o. Dude is a full blooded benin while i think you might be yoruba

Ovoramwen is a full bloodied Benin man, from ogbe royal QUATERS , A benin Prince for tgat matter, he hosted me in thier family house one time when I visited Benin months back

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 6:02pm On Sep 13, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
hi bro, just new in Benin, i'm a tourist.. How long is the distance from Ugbowo to Ogba zoo?

Are you asking for distance or direction ?
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2017
step1:

A directionless small boy from Lagos who doesn't know his roots, come on gerrout from here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Obalufon: 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2017
AKOKO IS..YORUBA ...We have strong history that keep us together ,we are indivisible , Any part of the world we may find ourselves we will always look back home .. We have superior gene ""being the first"". Scientifically proven ,..Go to Americas out all the slaves taken to Americas and sierra leone is only Yoruba that can still trace their linage without genetic DNA marker"" Where ever we are what ever circumstance we may find ourselves Yoruba man will always exhibit his ingenuity and intelligent , we always look back to where we are coming from to know where we are going...All the slaves revolt done in Americas were all orchestrated / plotted and done by Yoruba slaves Haiti..we are unique people we know the meaning of history that is what keep us together we can't be divided ..Despite the gruesome torture and forceful assimilation by Yoruba slaves we still manage to keep our history and religion strong . Cuba; Brazil .Guiana, Trinidad and, Tobago, Haiti;Caribbeans... to name few they still speak Yoruba fluently with their master's tongue also practice our religion..

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Obalufon: 7:24pm On Sep 13, 2017
if you see edo man with Yoruba first name or last name is done purposely to give direction of lineage

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 14, 2017
BornStunner1:

Are you asking for distance or direction ?
both.. Give me directions to Ogba Zoo from where i reside. I reside at Federal college road back of UBTH.
Cc Martha89
kingovoramwen1
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by sharplikenail: 1:32pm On Sep 15, 2017
Ask Lara.ng for directions.

You'll get a response instantly.

Thanks!

GrandFinale2017:
both.. Give me directions to Ogba Zoo from where i reside. I reside at Federal college road back of UBTH.
Cc Martha89
kingovoramwen1
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by step1: 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Cc Martha89
kingovoramwen1

Lol guy you no dey hear word. You are asking iPod direction in Benin. Does he even know ring road not to talk of ogba zoo. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Cc Martha89
kingovoramwen1

Take a bus from campus gate to ring road .........Going from Ring Road (City Center) in Benin, take a cab or bus to Airport Road for about 5 km and the Zoo is right on the main Road, between Oko and Ogba.

The Oba Akenzua International Scout Camp is next door. Proposed NPDC HQ site is directly opposite.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by BornStunner1: 3:42pm On Sep 15, 2017
[s]
step1:

Lol guy you no dey hear word. You are asking iPod direction in Benin. Does he even know ring road not to talk of ogba zoo. Lol
[/s]

I just remembered you land is a was.teland and you ppl have nothing to talk about ..... You better start minding your business b4 u end urself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Kworopshun: 11:06pm On Oct 06, 2017
Obalufon:
I knew from the onset you guys are igbo.. i have smoked you out of your earthern forest ..your forefather were naked roaming about buck naked before Awolowo clothed your forefather in the 50s do the research...from our ancient dressing you will know how civilize we were before the coming of the white race , white historian and archaeologist are equating Yoruba civilization with the Greek civilization some think we migrated to this region from the middle east ....we were looming cloth thousand of years before the white race... if you guys are truly edo please let me know the part you are from ..isan afuze owan auchi akoko edo .sabo gida ora ..all these place you can still see people having Yoruba last name and first names we worship the same deity ogun and olokun sango ....oba benin is highly revered by all Yoruba obas after oni of ife ...some yoruba obas too have edo kingship lineage ,ekiti and ondo . You don't need to propagate the greatness of edo or Benin kingdom it speaks for itself..

There are igbos here masquerading as edo. Beware of them. Real Edo's know their first oba was oranmiyan, son of oduduwa. Why else do Edo's worship all yoruba deities and their language bearing similarities with ours? Even kingship title oba. Politics have caused a rift between the two groups.

Having said that, Yoruba isn't begging anyone to join them. Yoruba to dun. We are sweet and internationally recognised. Nigerian ladies, infact all African ladies are dying for Yoruba dicks, even edo girls lol.

4 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Kworopshun: 11:08pm On Oct 06, 2017
EdoNation:

Point of correction we Edos do not have anything to do with Yoruba's apart from our prince oduduwa who wandered into your town, KingOvoramwen is a bonafude son of the red soil and he us reppin the empire to the fullest you shud do the same with your Yoruba tribe ,so pls quit this gibberish you are typing , you don't sound learned , and stop rediculing your tribe it is not for the best... Bye!!

I know you want to date a Yoruba boy. You're probably looking for one, like most naija girls. Look no further for I am here.

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Olu317(m): 7:07am On Oct 07, 2017
EdoNation:

Point of correction we Edos do not have anything to do with Yoruba's apart from our prince oduduwa who wandered into your town, KingOvoramwen is a bonafude son of the red soil and he us reppin the empire to the fullest you shud do the same with your Yoruba tribe ,so pls quit this gibberish you are typing , you don't sound learned , and stop rediculing your tribe it is not for the best... Bye!!
Which of the two is a ridiculed group ? BINI, whose greatness came from Yoruba land or have you forgotten? All your development came from Yoruba land. Have you no historical record that the word “Oba" belong to Yoruba ancestors? It will be good if you have people who knows the history very well to educate you. Live with it

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by holuwapopsh(m): 8:01am On Oct 08, 2017
thks Jare i said Ondo is their Mother produly ONDO BOY

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nowenuse: 6:15pm On May 10, 2018
9jakool:

I might do a breakdown of Akoko Edo in the future, but these kind of things require a lot of time and research. The only Edoid speaking parts of Ondo state are Isua area, Ipe, Ekpemi, and Iyayu quaters in Idoani. Now let's make a distinction between Edo and Edoid. These four communities don't identify as Edo, because they are not Edo, but Edoid speaking groups. Your average Edo speaker from Benin cannot hold a conversation with these people because while their language are related, they are not the same. It is the same way Igalas aren't Yorubas despite speaking a Yoruboid language (that is not necessarily mutually intelligible to Yoruba). In fact, these particular four communities identify as Yoruba and trace their origin to Ile-Ife like most if not all the peoples in Akoko Ondo area. Most of their kings have Yoruba titles and claim descendant to Oduduwa.

Yes, good observation about the Okpe people. There are quite a number of Yoruba speaking communities in Edo state. It's a known fact that there are ethnic groups in Akoko Edo and Owan areas that claim origin from Ile-Ife, practice Yoruba culture and religion and speak Yoruba language in additional to their own distinct languages. There are also some monolingual Yoruba communities that speak a dialect of the Yoruba language such as Imeri, that was only ceded to Ondo state just a couple of years ago.

Aside from these communities in the Afemai area, there are a few Yoruba communities even found in the heart of Edoland. I'm talking specifically about the Northern parts of Ovia SouthWest and the Western border areas with Ondo state. The town of Usen, as well as the surrounding towns and villages are not native Edo speaker. Your average Edo speaker cannot hold a conversation with an Usen speaker since they speak a Yoruba language. To this day, the traditional ruler of Usen is referred to as Olu Awure.

You did a very great job in this thread. Kudos to you! More pieces like this for you.

It's such a shame that Nigerians are not taught history in school and we do not even know ourselves and origins very well.

Pls I'd like to ask.

1. Do all Akoko people irrespective of their dialects identify as one people? Do they have pan-unity forums?

2. How on earth did the non-edoid and non-yoruboid speakers find themselves in Akoko land in between Edos and yorubas? And they were never absorbed for so many years?

3. Do all the non-yoruboid speakers in Akoko speak yoruba as a lingua franca? If yes, is it specifically Oyo dialect (central yoruba)?

4. Are the non-yoruboid speakers facing language extinction threats in Akoko? Due to the strong influence of yoruba language?
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nowenuse: 6:21pm On May 10, 2018
pazienza:
Claiming Ife origin means nothing. Oral history in this part of the world are usually tainted to reflect present political realities.

Many communities in Akoko SE claim Ife origin, yet they all speak Edoid languages, from Isua to Ipe, Epinmi, Ipesi, Ifira, Sosan, they all speak Edoid languages as first languages and Yoruba as a second language.

From my encounter with these people , I believe they are Edo people who are suffering from inferiority complex and are striving too hard to become Yorubas when it's obvious they are Edo. They all claim to have migrated from Ife and that the current Edoid languages they speak was as a result of their interactions with Edo people during their journey From Ife to their current location.
Their identity crisis is reminiscent of those of Ika and other Bini origin claiming, but Igboid speaking Igbo communities.

The entire Akoko SE is Edoid, and have no reason being part of Ondo.
But the people are currently Yorubaphilic and Edophobic, and are currently striving hard to kill off their indigenous Edoid languages and replace them with Yoruba languages.
They had already done this with their names, as most of them now bear Yoruba surnames and first names, Edoid names are becoming a rarity amongst these Edoid speaking people.
It's truly amazing.

I don't think you should blame all the Edo speaking Ondo people who claim yoruba origin and identity. They obviously have more to gain by claiming yoruba identity than Edo identity

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by davidnazee: 9:55pm On May 10, 2018
step1:
This is funny. Anyway let akoko, login and ekiti speak for themselves. I am from Lagos and an indigene and we are not in anyway Edo but yoruba. If you like nak your head for ground we are yorubas. The few of us that have proto Edo names like obanikoro are now yorubas because we never considered Edo different from yoruba but if you choose differently then we stick to yorubas.

It’s ok to choose Yoruba if that’s your choice, but you can not deny that probably there’s Edo blood in you and your ancestors are Edo that first settled that area.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Obalufon: 1:52am On May 11, 2018
Nowenuse:

I don't think you should blame all the Edo speaking Ondo people who claim yoruba origin and identity. They obviously have more to gain by claiming yoruba identity than Edo identity

Can you speak akoko language do you understand it ?

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Obalufon: 2:07am On May 11, 2018
Nowenuse:

edoid or akokoid language akokoid is different from edoid language akokoid and yoruboid are considered ile-ife lineage

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by 9jakool: 6:49am On May 11, 2018
Nowenuse:

You did a very great job in this thread. Kudos to you! More pieces like this for you.

It's such a shame that Nigerians are not taught history in school and we do not even know ourselves and origins very well.

Pls I'd like to ask.

1. Do all Akoko people irrespective of their dialects identify as one people? Do they have pan-unity forums?

2. How on earth did the non-edoid and non-yoruboid speakers find themselves in Akoko land in between Edos and yorubas? And they were never absorbed for so many years?

3. Do all the non-yoruboid speakers in Akoko speak yoruba as a lingua franca? If yes, is it specifically Oyo dialect (central yoruba)?

4. Are the non-yoruboid speakers facing language extinction threats in Akoko? Due to the strong influence of yoruba language?

1. Yes, Akoko is an umbrella term. The people are lumped up as a subgroup of Yoruba, but in reality they are a diverse group of people. This is why you often hear Yoruba people say that every town in Akoko speak their own dialect, many of which are often difficult to understand by outsiders or even other towns within Akoko. Because of the proximity, the Akoko people have created a unique cultural blend. Intermarriage is common and the cuisine, kingship, religion, customs, and even languages have blended together through borrowing and exchange of ideas and people. All the towns in Akoko have linked history with stories of trade and migration. An important thing to note is that the Akoko umbrela identity and affiliation with Yoruba existed long before colonial rule and before Yoruba people even started calling themselves Yoruba.

2. Well Akoko settlements are unique in that they are separated by mountains. The rocky terrain provides some degree of cultural isolation. To answer your question, you have to understand the linguistic nature of Akoko settlements. Akoko towns are very old (I can't stress how ancient they are). The old languages of Akoko are very archaic and conservative, changing very little and they offer a glimpse of what proto-Yoruba was like. For example, the Yoruba spoken 1000 years ago would be closer to the Akpe, Ahan, Ayere and Akokoid lagauages. Many elements lost in Yoruba language overtime are preserved in the Akoko languages. In towns with multiple languages, each community have oral tradition pointing to ancient immigration. So in essence, the non-Yoruboid and non-Edoid speaking of Akoko have been there since the very beginning. They are aboriginal to the land, just like the Yoruba and Edoid speakers. All of the Akoko languages including the Yoruboid dialects share a common ancestor, but a degree of isolation have created the differences we see today.

3. Yes, they do. Do they speak Oyo dialect? Well, currently yes, but historically no. Akoko people have always used Yoruba as a lingua franca, but not the Oyo dialect. Prior to the introduction of Oyo dialect as the standard, the people of Akoko use a general Akoko Yoruba dialect (a type of SE Yoruba) as a lingua franca with different variations from town to town to ease trade and communications. This is still true today, but over the past 150 years, the Oyo dialect has gained much influence and popularity.

4. This leads to the next question. Yes, these languages could face extinction. The most critical languages are Ukaan and Ahan languages. But the extinction is true for all Akoko lects including the indigenous Yoruboid ones as well, that are rapidly declining in favor of Oyo variety.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Obalufon: 11:13am On May 11, 2018
Language mutates .Akoko is ife lineage ..ifa is the master historian..

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nowenuse: 3:28pm On May 11, 2018
Obalufon:

Can you speak akoko language do you understand it ?

No I am not from there.
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by RedboneSmith(m): 5:59pm On May 11, 2018
What is happening here? Akokoid languages are neither Yoruboid nor Edoid. They are an independent branch of the Kwa language family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nowenuse: 11:51am On May 12, 2018
9jakool:

1. Yes, Akoko is an umbrella term. The people are lumped up as a subgroup of Yoruba, but in reality they are a diverse group of people. This is why you often hear Yoruba people say that every town in Akoko speak their own dialect, many of which are often difficult to understand by outsiders or even other towns within Akoko. Because of the proximity, the Akoko people have created a unique cultural blend. Intermarriage is common and the cuisine, kingship, religion, customs, and even languages have blended together through borrowing and exchange of ideas and people. All the towns in Akoko have linked history with stories of trade and migration. An important thing to note is that the Akoko umbrela identity and affiliation with Yoruba existed long before colonial rule and before Yoruba people even started calling themselves Yoruba.

2. Well Akoko settlements are unique in that they are separated by mountains. The rocky terrain provides some degree of cultural isolation. To answer your question, you have to understand the linguistic nature of Akoko settlements. Akoko towns are very old (I can't stress how ancient they are). The old languages of Akoko are very archaic and conservative, changing very little and they offer a glimpse of what proto-Yoruba was like. For example, the Yoruba spoken 1000 years ago would be closer to the Akpe, Ahan, Ayere and Akokoid lagauages. Many elements lost in Yoruba language overtime are preserved in the Akoko languages. In towns with multiple languages, each community have oral tradition pointing to ancient immigration. So in essence, the non-Yoruboid and non-Edoid speaking of Akoko have been there since the very beginning. They are aboriginal to the land, just like the Yoruba and Edoid speakers. All of the Akoko languages including the Yoruboid dialects share a common ancestor, but a degree of isolation have created the differences we see today.

3. Yes, they do. Do they speak Oyo dialect? Well, currently yes, but historically no. Akoko people have always used Yoruba as a lingua franca, but not the Oyo dialect. Prior to the introduction of Oyo dialect as the standard, the people of Akoko use a general Akoko Yoruba dialect (a type of SE Yoruba) as a lingua franca with different variations from town to town to ease trade and communications. This is still true today, but over the past 150 years, the Oyo dialect has gained much influence and popularity.

4. This leads to the next question. Yes, these languages could face extinction. The most critical languages are Ukaan and Ahan languages. But the extinction is true for all Akoko lects including the indigenous Yoruboid ones as well, that are rapidly declining in favor of Oyo variety.

Ok, thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by davidnazee: 11:57pm On May 12, 2018
Nowenuse:

All Edo or Edoid groups in Eastern Yoruba are descendants of Edo people. They are descended from warriors, administrators, traders who settled those areas after driving out the Yorubas in those places. It’s all in history, go research yourselves and stop believing lies from these Yorubas on here.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by davidnazee: 12:01am On May 13, 2018
Obalufon:
Language mutates .Akoko is ife lineage ..ifa is the master historian..

Do you really enjoy deceiving yourself?
Ewi who controlled larger parts of Akoko is an Edo descendant also many monarchs in that area trace their origin to Benin.
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Nowenuse: 9:06am On May 13, 2018
davidnazee:

All Edo or Edoid groups in Eastern Yoruba are descendants of Edo people. They are descended from warriors, administrators, traders who settled those areas after driving out the Yorubas in those places. It’s all in history, go research yourselves and stop believing lies from these Yorubas on here.

Yes I know this very well. Just that I think we all west africans have ethnically absorbed each other at one point in time or the other.

There are Yorubanized people of Edo descent, yorubanized Nupes, yorubas of hausa-fulani descent.

There are Edos of yoruba descent (Usen), Edos of Igbo descent (Igbanke and environs), Edos of Nupe descent in esan/Etsako areas..

There are Igbos of Yoruba descent (Olukumi), Igbos of Edo descent, Igbos of Igala descent, Igbos of Ibibio descent.

Many more. As long as we have been neighbors and have been interrelating for centuries. We have mixed with each other a lot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos From The Procession Of Elehinle Festival In Okemesi, Ekiti State / What Part Of Igboland Are You From. / Wollofs And Mandinkas Lets Meet Here :)-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.