Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Bathing A New Born Baby. . . - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bathing A New Born Baby. . . (41518 Views)

Photo Of A Proud Dad Bathing His New Born Baby Goes Viral On FB / 28 Year Old Mother Dumps New Born Baby In A Nylon Bag On The Street (photo) / Heartless Mother Throws Her New Born Baby In A Gutter With Its Placenta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by cibilola(f): 2:19pm On Feb 14, 2010
Please advice on how to give a new born baby a bath. I mean the Nigerian way oooh., not the weird instructions given by midwives here. My grandma once mentioned palm oil and molding the baby's body, does anyone have experience on this too? thank you in advance!
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 14, 2010
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Outstrip(f): 10:02pm On Feb 14, 2010
I actually saw my friend go through this whole ritual of bathing her baby "the nigerian way". I did not want to shout that that was stupid but when it got to the point that she would leave the baby exposed for almost 30 minutes at a time pressing him here and there, poking in his ears, molding his head and facial features and the baby eventually started breathing funny from exposure I was convinced that she was mentally unstable. LOL. In all seriousness there is absolutely no medical benefit to using baby oil or any kind of oil versus good ol soap and water. The baby does not develop and odor or all the other stories that have been passed down.

2 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by joy2dworld: 10:11pm On Feb 14, 2010
congrats on the birth of your baby

when i had mine about a year ago this was what i did , u can substitute the palm oil for olive oil then us a soft sponge (preferably the glove sponge so u can have a firm grip on your baby)
rub the olive oil all over your child then use warm water and the sponge to clean your baby, you have to be careful as you will definitely have a screaming child so my advice place your child on your thigh while doing this.
as regards molding what i did was i used warm water to compress the joints the stomach and back ( i never threw my baby in the air it is far too risky)
when you are done, you child will look brighter and sleep better trust me!

i hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 8:09am On Feb 15, 2010
if you live abroad, ask a nurse or other professional to show you how to bath a baby. Or google it.

If you want to go the traditional way and rub the baby with palm oil, stretch its limbs and mold its head like they do in Nigeria, then have an elderly person show you how its done.

However, safety matters.

imo, the basic thing is for the baby to be clean, and I believe that can be achieved with soap and warm water.

anyway, na your baby- do as you please.

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by cibilola(f): 11:30am On Feb 15, 2010
Outstrip:

I actually saw my friend go through this whole ritual of bathing her baby "the nigerian way". I did not want to shout that that was silly but when it got to the point that she would leave the baby exposed for almost 30 minutes at a time pressing him here and there, poking in his ears, molding his head and facial features and the baby eventually started breathing funny from exposure I was convinced that she was mentally unstable. LOL. In all seriousness there is absolutely no medical benefit to using baby oil or any kind of oil versus good ol soap and water. The baby does not develop and odor or all the other stories that have been passed down.

Your post made me laugh!! cheesy grin You are very funny. My grandma did the same for my little niece, moulding all the joints, creating dimples on the top of the baby's bottom. She even forced my aunty to sit on a potty of hot water and "rubb" after the birth. Now she wishes she was as young as before so that she could come over here to do the same with me.

Personally, i am not going to throw my baby up in the air oo! lol!
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by jumie(f): 1:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
@ Poster,

I don't think there is any big deal in bathing your baby. The goal is to have a clean and fresh looking baby. Just place the baby on your thighs and wash with soap and warm water (you may use a sponge if need be) However, let it be a very soft sponge and not the local hard ones we have in Nigeria.

As for subjecting the new born to those "rigorous physical fitness" exercises, I don't know as I am yet to confirm if for example there is any benefit after the child is thrown up in the air or suspended up-side down.

You can also massage the baby's body with a warm towel. However, I know that using 'Adin-agbon' to rub your baby's skin is effective in warding-off all those skin rashes that come out shortly after birth.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by otilowaju(f): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2010
Those of us who were bathed with palm oil and hard sponge then thrown in the air are still alive!! grin embarassed

cry cry sad (Chei, Naija pikin dey suffer oh)

3 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Feb 15, 2010
Never knew there Nigerian ways to birthing a baby oh.
My friend, buy the baby shampoo and all that and give the cute little thing a nice shower and i am sure he or she wont know a difference, and you dont need to mold nothing, God has done all that.
Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by cibilola(f): 2:34pm On Feb 15, 2010
thank you ohh @ Fhemmmy

@ otilowaju, na true talk, naija pikin dey suffer, right from birth

jumie:

@ Poster,

I don't think there is any big deal in bathing your baby. The goal is to have a clean and fresh looking baby. Just place the baby on your thighs and wash with soap and warm water (you may use a sponge if need be) However, let it be a very soft sponge and not the local hard ones we have in Nigeria.

As for subjecting the new born to those "rigorous physical fitness" exercises, I don't know as I am yet to confirm if for example there is any benefit after the child is thrown up in the air or suspended up-side down.

You can also massage the baby's body with a warm towel. However, I know that using 'Adin-agbon' to rub your baby's skin is effective in warding-off all those skin rashes that come out shortly after birth.

what is adin agbon?
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by jumie(f): 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
@ Cibilola,

cibilola:

thank you ohh @ Fhemmmy

@ otilowaju, na true talk, naija pikin dey suffer, right from birth

what is adin agbon?

Adin-agbon is a local oil made from Coconut and/or Palm kernel fruit. It is very good for the skin.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Fhemmmy: 5:11pm On Feb 15, 2010
jumie:

@ Cibilola,

Adin-agbon is a local oil made from Coconut and/or Palm kernel fruit. It is very good for the skin.

I think it is good for the skin, regardless of new born or old born.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 15, 2010
jumie:

@ Cibilola,

and has a strong smell, dont forget.

If you're not in Nigeria and must use it on your child, then keep the baby at home oh.

westerners are very odour conscious.

locally made coconut oil is very good but something should be done about the smell. Some lotions actually have coconut infusion these days (very nice).

But the lotions actually smell like coconut- adin itself smells much stronger if i remember correctly.

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Fhemmmy: 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2010
Lol
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by WAVixen: 3:29am On Mar 03, 2012
Keep the baby at home ke? Because of coconut oil? No way jor. Some westerners smell terrible. I guess the coconut oil made in Nigeria is mixed with something else. @ OP go on ebay or health stores and buy coconut oil. Don't forget its also edible and delicious when used to cook.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by armyofone(m): 3:45am On Mar 03, 2012
all the molding and pressing nigerian parents did on their children are not necessary.
i haven't seen any oyinbo with oblong or 4 corner head and they don't mold their newborn undecided

5 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 03, 2012
armyofone:

all the molding and pressing nigerian parents did on their children are not necessary.
i haven't seen any oyinbo with oblong or 4 corner head and they don't mold their newborn undecided

I agree.

2 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by dominique(f): 12:47pm On Mar 03, 2012
It was kinda amusing watching my mil perform the ritual. She explained that the palm-oil bath was to prevent the baby from having body odour, the tossing in the air is to make him fearless and the molding of limbs is to loosen them and make him more agile. She didn't mold the skull cos she felt the shape of the head was ok (Thank God). Out of respect, i couldn't tell her that the oyibo people that don't perform this process don't have body odours, they're more fearless and agile than most of us. with their out-of-the world gymnastics and daring sports like sky diving and bungee jumping, do they have a bathing ritual to thank for that? if we attribute these qualities to some bathing ritual, na we suppose win all the olympic gold.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by pendo89(f): 1:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
lord have mercy.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by blank(f): 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2012
Who says oyibo don't do baby exercises? They call it massaging and trust me, your baby will sleep very well.
My mum shaped mine and my sister's nose, if not, hmmmm. Seeing my baby pics with that flat nose, I woulda been ugly.

3 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by lepasharon(f): 11:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
lool funny responses here,anyways i thought its natural shea butter for babys skin?
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by isalegan2: 2:03am On Mar 04, 2012
armyofone:

Must African peoples live their lives based on approval from Oyinbo all the time? Oyinbos don't use our kind of sponge, called konkon/kankan to wash their body either, but some of us still do. Of course, the same Oyinbos will then spend hundreds of dollars at the spa to have their skin exfoliated with all sorts of things including mud. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by armyofone(m): 2:59am On Mar 04, 2012
you missed the point i'm trying to make.
let me break it down  wink
countries where baby's body/head are not mold still got their baby head/body parts normal shape. unless in cases of genes where we have abnormal head/body shape.
so if we don't mold, baby will still be okay.
capisce? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by lao(f): 3:06am On Mar 07, 2012
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by meyri: 7:09am On Mar 07, 2012
Molding? Ke? I dont know what you mean by that. When I was a nanny, after taking the babies a bath I give them a massage it was quick and nothing to it. did it as i apply lotion or oil. it was a gentle massage then I stretched their legs and arms just as i saw my mom do it. Then afterward the baby was more calmer and slept longer. Massage suppose to teach your baby to relax and tone their muscle just as it does for an adult. It not going to change any features on your baby.

@poster just do a gentle message it suppose to be a bonding moment between you and your child nothing more or less
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by WHAT3: 9:51am On Mar 07, 2012
Congratulations on the arrival on your new bundle of joy cheesy

I have given birth to 4 children and my MIL bathed them in the traditional way, When my younger brother's wife gave birth, my mother called

my MIL to do same for my nephew and massage my SIL. I found out my children do sleep very well after each bath and i

also sleep well after the hot-water massage. When i had my 2nd child, i tried to do yanga, no be my clear eye,

dem rush me go bathroom come massage me with hot water the 3rd day! My child was not sleeping well and her umbilical cord gave me trouble

because i refused to use the local herb my M.I.L gave me to massage the navel anytime i bath her or change her diapers, none of my

children suffered from stomach pain as some women complained , their skins are glowing that someone asked me

what cream i use on them, i said ordinary vaseline! She did not believe me. So my advise is, follow your belief and do whatever your maternal

instinct tells you, but from my experience and that of my friends, i would follow the traditional -Nigerian method on my grand-children, because

it worked for me. once, more congrats cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by gunuvi(m): 10:20am On Mar 27, 2012
We are a coconut oil manufacturing company based in Badagry, Lagos. We produce edible coconut oils for personal and commercial use. We have also started delivery services of the coconut oil to anywhere, anytime in Naija at a very moderate fee. We supply in the range of 10lts, 15lts, 20lts, 25,ltrs, 30ltrs and so on, any quantity you want, we have it! well prepared, great quality and proudly Naija!!!
We also supply coconuts in large quantity nationwide.
If you are interested in buying, call Femi on 07026015480, 08181501477
We supply withing 48 hours of booking to your doorstep!!!

It is edible, can be used for skin care and hair care...get yours today!!![size=8pt][/size]
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by cibilola(f): 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
Wow! Really surprised that this post resurrected after 2 years. Well, it wasnt my grandma that did all the massaging for the baby, it was my mum as 'ultra-modern' as she is. Very scary but the little boy I'd now a healthy 19month old running riots in the house and awaiting his younger one in a few months who will undoubtedly receive the same bathing experience. Lol!
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by gunuvi(m): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2012
Sorry for the mistake. We sell 10ltrs for N6,500. 25ltrs for 15,250. 30ltrs sell for 18,250. 100ltrs goes for 60,000.
I thought our prices were included in my last comment.
make your order for pure virgin coconut oil today...
call 08181501477 or 07026015480.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by EfemenaXY: 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2012
cibilola: Please advice on how to give a new born baby a bath. I mean the Nigerian way oooh., not the weird instructions given by midwives here. My grandma once mentioned palm oil and[b] molding the baby's body[/b], does anyone have experience on this too? thank you in advance!

I don't get it.

Why would anyone want to mould a newborn baby's body (into what? And I'm assuming this includes moulding the head too??!!)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by queensmith: 4:52pm On Apr 03, 2012
i will advise you not to try anything you have no experience with, follow the midwives advise since you have no one to help you bathe the child. Many of us born abroad werent bathed the nigerian way and didnt drink the water of the Gods yet we turned out fine.
If you have an experiences woman around to help you then go ahead, if not I urge you to be very careful. It's a child and not a barbie doll.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 2:58am On Jan 25, 2013
Bump!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / My Marriage Is On The Verge Of Crashing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.