Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,910 members, 7,806,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) (34383 Views)

NFF Mourns Samuel Okwaraji 30 Years After Passing (photos) / Emenike Displays Ojukwu, Okwaraji, Yekini, Keshi's Pictures In His Mansion / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by owukpa(m): 7:11am On Aug 12, 2017
Today, 12th of August, 2017, makes it exactly 28 year since the exit of Nigeria’s first football martyr, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji‎.
The sad event occurred on a tension-soaked Saturday, 12th August, 1989, during a make or mar Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier match, between the Green Eagles and the boastful Angolan side.

[url]WWW.IDOMAVOICE.COM[/url] recalls that the pulsating encounter was held at the now pathetic and rickety National Stadium, in Surulere, Lagos.

source>>>http://www.idomavoice.com/2017/08/remembering-samuel-okwaraji-28-years.html

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by FemiEddy(m): 7:12am On Aug 12, 2017
Legendary Legend!!!!!

18 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by thesicilian: 7:15am On Aug 12, 2017
RIP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by PMWSpirit(m): 7:17am On Aug 12, 2017
Okay
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 12, 2017
Men
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by jared007: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2017
There's a song we used to sing about Sam Okwaraji and the lyrics goes like this:

Am going home, am going home, am going home, to watch a match.
Between Nigeria and Angola, am going home, to watch a match.
Okwaraji was a player, he came to play for Nigeria.
As he was playing he fell and died, that was the end of Okwaraji,

O-K-W-A-R-A-J-I may God bless you inside your grave!

Nigeria play ball, Nigeria win
Babangida jump up, ten kobo fall
Onyeka pick am buy Akara chop
Babangida cry, cry, nobody talk
Action!

79 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 11:37am On Aug 12, 2017
Okwaraji's super goal

This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 11:41am On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:
My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seems that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by YorubaNigga(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
Samuel Okwaraji the Nigerian football Legend

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Penalty82(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

6 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by anyimontana(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
Can't forget that song that was composed after his death

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by lilwheezy1(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2017
lilwheezy1:
Nigerian youths we need to wake up , 2019 is around the corner, we should not allow these old fools take us for a ride anymore, APC , PDP or whatever they want to call themselves this time, year in year out the looters change but the looting continues, people in Buhari's govt are exposing people that stole in GEJ's govt while they are secrectly doing the thier own looting at the moment , We should change our mindset and stop supporting them, we should let them know that we are no more fools, They know our problems, all we ask for is 24 hours power supply, good roads, formidable health sector & clean water, and finally a good economy for our buisnesses to trive, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK ,IS THAT TOO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH , despite all our wealth , NIGERIAN YOUTHS ARE SAYING NO MORE.

N.B: This is not sponsored, this is coming from a concerned nigerian that is tired of things going on the same way since primary school days, i just want my children to be brought up in a better Nigeria .

Thank you

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by philtex(m): 1:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
The 99-1? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by boombay(m): 1:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
grin
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
owukpa:
Today, 12th of August, 2017, makes it exactly 28 year since the exit of Nigeria’s first football martyr, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji‎.
The sad event occurred on a tension-soaked Saturday, 12th August, 1989, during a make or mar Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier match, between the Green Eagles and the boastful Angolan side.

[url]WWW.IDOMAVOICE.COM[/url] recalls that the pulsating encounter was held at the now pathetic and rickety National Stadium, in Surulere, Lagos.

source>>>http://www.idomavoice.com/2017/08/remembering-samuel-okwaraji-28-years.html

Thanks for the memories.

Was nine years old at the time, watching the match on television with my dad, brother and little sister (mum thought, and still thinks football is a waste of time cheesy). I recall when he was carried off, and then it just seemed normal.....a footballer gets injured, and carried off the pitch. Even when he was replaced, I thought "oh, too injured to continue the game).

It was a shock to hear the following day that he was dead. I mean, with my then brief experience of football, footballers never died on the pitch. I recall reading about the funeral in the now defunct weekend Concord., and how an autopsy had found he had an " enlarged heart ' ( my introduction to the world of congenital heart disease ).

Really sad then,still sad now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by benzems(m): 1:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
RIP

Am still looking for this solution

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by obajoey(m): 1:17pm On Aug 12, 2017
Ni iranti olododo.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Ishilove: 1:18pm On Aug 12, 2017
jared007:
There's a song we used to sing about Sam Okwaraji and the lyrics goes like this:

Am going home, am going home, am going home, to watch a match.
Between Nigeria and Angola, am going home, to watch a match.
Okwaraji was a player, he came to play for Nigeria.
As he was playing he fell and died, that was the end of Okwaraji,

*I'm*

6 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
OKWARAJI
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by mercyib(m): 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by hakeem4(m): 1:20pm On Aug 12, 2017
I never watched him play football but I heard he was the one who scored the only goal against India

100-1

5 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
indomie generation wouldnt know who is samuel okwaraji.
RIP.

6 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Innodon(m): 1:22pm On Aug 12, 2017
the best striker
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2017
hakeem4:
I never watched him play football but I heard he was the one who scored the only goal against India

100-1

I also heard the match took place in the 1950's. grin
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by 1metre: 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2017
lilwheezy1:
lilwheezy1:
Nigerian youths we need to wake up , 2019 is around the corner, we should not allow these old fools take us for a ride anymore, APC , PDP or whatever they want to call themselves this time, year in year out the looters change but the looting continues, people in Buhari's govt are exposing people that stole in GEJ's govt while they are secrectly doing the thier own looting at the moment , We should change our mindset and stop supporting them, we should let them know that we are no more fools, They know our problems, all we ask for is 24 hours power supply, good roads, formidable health sector & clean water, and finally a good economy for our buisnesses to trive, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK ,IS THAT TOO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH , despite all our wealth , NIGERIAN YOUTHS ARE SAYING NO MORE.

N.B: This is not sponsored, this is coming from a concerned nigerian that is tired of things going on the same way since primary school days, i just want my children to be brought up in a better Nigeria .

Thank you
I support u. i wish on the election day no one will come out. lets address our issues first before going to the poll. we cant continue like this. every day in this country 'obi is a boy, when is obi going to mature to a man?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2017
Innodon:
the best striker

Not quite, but good. May have risen higher if he had not died so soon
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Lalas247(f): 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2017
Damn the good ole Days
Rip
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Lalas247(f): 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2017
Ishilove:

*I'm*
Savage grin

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Egalitarian1: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
Requiescat in pace
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by So4baba(m): 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
But whoever made up the story about him being the only player to score the only goal in our famous 100-1 loss to India deserved a national honor. Almost evry child born in the early 90's believed the story of the Indian keeper turning to lion and their players to Tiger. Okwaraji had to use his power laden left leg to play the eventual shot that Wil give us our only goal and kill him as such.. He sacrificed himself for the country, hence India were banned for life from playing soccer. .. Quite salvage from the story inventor...

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Emvicprints1: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2017
1metre:
I support u. i wish on the election day no one will come out. lets address our issues first before going to the poll. we cant continue like this. every day in this country 'obi is a boy, when is obi going to mature to a man?
thinking out loud if we don't come out what of their wife and children

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Childhood Pictures Of Iwobi And Akpom At Arsenal In 2003. / Retired Teacher Scammed Of Ten Million Naira By A Betting Agent In Delta / Cristiano Ronaldo, Top Scorer In The Arab Championship, Receives The Golden Boot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.