Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo (38062 Views)

Tax Defaulters In Nigeria: Obasanjo, Davido, Omisore, Others Top 19,000 List / Buratai Explains Why Army Created Female Corps / Coalition For Nigeria: Obasanjo Mobilizes 7 Governors, 20 Senators To Remove PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by famagro: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
It still baffles me when some people whose father's name means nothing anywhere tries to erase a name that had, is and will remain as long as the earth still exist.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by jamace(m): 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2017
Obj, the only man who enjoyed the highest position in Nigeria 2 times, on a platter of gold.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by smalls001: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
You're wrong!!!
realborn:
Summary:
The criteria for his action to retire affected officers-
1. If ever involved in a coup
2. If ever benefited from a coup.
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

Obj is very narcissistic and self serving.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Iamzik: 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:

My last paragraph addresses your query.

If Abacha had killed him on the premise of a purported coup (whether true or untrue), he would have never been Nigeria's President at the advent of the 4th Republic. The motive he shared and Abacha's action would have been the same - Security Purposes.

It is wrong for Obj to self-service and revel on a decision that affected almost a 100 families having devoted several years to active Service. They bore absolutely no guilt as no evidence of wrongdoing exists. His inglorious account will only cause further unrest within the rank and file of the Military, and animosity towards the Civilian Government.

A wise decision worthy of emulation will be to cite the pertinence to retire these officers for security reasons but with adequate compensation for the remainder of their outstanding Service years. This motivates over the tale of having them turn-coat within 6 hours.

My views though!

Simple comprehension... Retire is different from killing

Did Obasanjo kill the military officers or retire them? I guess if it were you, you would have promoted and worshipped them. What do you know about military, coup or politics??

BTW they were adequately compensated in money property and Pension. A Buhari or Ihejirika would have done thesame. It is called strategy.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by obayaya(m): 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
mkoabiola:
U can't but love obj for his intelligence and crafty manner.

Waiting for fayose to criticise this statement

This singular action also contributed in no small measure in diminishing the operational capabilities of our armed forces.

Most of these 93 officers were battle hardened generals, great tacticians and strategists. And he fired them.

Now, the Nigerian Armed Forces can't effectively deal with Boko Haram

2 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Exciton(m): 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2017
On assuming office as President, I decided to put an end to these incessant coups. I asked the military to submit the list of all officers who had either participated in coups in the past or benefited in the dividends of coups by being appointed to political office as governors or ministers.

“Not knowing what the list was meant for, the military faithfully compiled it and submitted to me as the Commander-in-Chief and chairman of the council of each of the arms of service.

Hehehe. What else could they think the list was for? Awards? Even an slowpoke would see through this move not to speak of military top guns.

If what he said is true, then, at best, it was nothing more than a ploy between him and those who compiled the list to get rid of those he saw as a threat or those that have slighted him.

2 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2017
Iamzik:

Did Obasanjo kill the military officers or retire them? I guess if it were you, you would have promoted and worshipped them. What do you know about military, coup or politics??

BTW they were adequately compensated in money property and Pension. A Buhari or Ihejirika would have done thesame. It is called strategy.

Lol@ your opening remark.

Please read my posts again. Why should Obj bask in the pains of others? It is on the heels of the criteria he chose to compulsorily retire these officers that elicited my reactions. He has no moral justification to publicly boast about terminating the career of others on the premise of suspicion because he is guilty of being a beneficiary of a. coup himself, and purportedly plotting a coup under Abacha, hence the "if Abacha had killed him" line, being the seemingly just treatment to coup plotters. I do not question the motive behind the action. I question his unrepentant demeanor.

It would have been more honorable if he used the opportunity to duly identify with the officers. Abruptly ending the career of an officer who has meritoriously served for 30 years within 6 hours can be psychologically damaging, boasting about it almost 2 decades after is humiliating.

Finally, true soldiers keep the affairs of the military covert. Obj is the only good politician in his own books. I will take him serious the day he shares his shortcomings and not that of others.

My 2 cents though...

2 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:
Summary:
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

Don't just criticise like fayose who drops is brain and then speak stupidly. Go back and read dimka's coup and be wiser.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by badera: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
angry grin

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2017
Iamzik:

Do not argue with someone who knows nothing, that real born wants to speak no problem but he lacks knowledge, advice him to get knowledge by reading and investigation then he can talk then.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
manikspears:

Don't just criticise like fayose who drops is brain and then speak stupidly. Go back and read dimka's coup and be wiser.

Choi. Lol

Not criticizing. Why revel and bask at the village square with soiled hands? I do not question the action, I question the sanctimonious accounts of Obj in all his literary works. Until he is ready to tell us his gaffes, he should stop vilifying others.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
manikspears:

Do not argue with someone who knows nothing, that real born wants to speak no problem but he lacks knowledge, advice him to get knowledge by reading and investigation then he can talk then.

You must be extremely out of your senses to spew this nonsense. Can't you have constructive arguments without debasing the other party? Are you that immature? Can't others have a different opinion other than yours. What knowledge have you exuded? Why get temperamental over basic issues? Why the Ad Hominem attack?

I will let this pass smiley
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by luluman: 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
mkoabiola:

Not just Fayose, but those mumu flat heads from yeast.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Tonason: 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
All you now calling on them to stage one? This your statements now have other meanings.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Iamzik: 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:

Lol@ your opening remark.

Please read my posts again. Why should Obj bask in the pains of others? It is on the heels of the criteria he chose to compulsorily retire these officers that elicited my reactions. He has no moral justification to publicly boast about terminating the career of others on the premise of suspicion because he is guilty of being a beneficiary of a. coup himself, and purportedly plotting a coup under Abacha, hence the "if Abacha had killed him" line, being the seemingly just treatment to coup plotters. I do not question the motive behind the action. I question his unrepentant demeanor.

It would have been more honorable if he used the opportunity to duly identify with the officers. Abruptly ending the career of an officer who has meritoriously served for 30 years within 6 hours can be psychologically damaging, boasting about it almost 2 decades after is humiliating.

Finally, true soldiers keep the affairs of the military covert. Obj is the only good politician in his own books. I will take him serious the day he shares his shortcomings and not that of others.

My 2 cents though...

There is nothing meritorious about a coup plotter.
You want obasanjo to be humane right? Well how humane can a bloody coup plotter be after shedding his boss's blood?

Obasanjo is not a saint. We all know. Jerry Rawling of Ghana was not a saint as either.

Once in a while the world always needs one last repentant evil man to put an end to evil and that is what obasanjo did to military coup plotters.

Give him credit for it.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by luluman: 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:
Summary:

They haf come o,
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by nurusystem(m): 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2017
Former corrupt president
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2017
Iamzik:

You want obasanjo to be humane right? Well how humane can a bloody coup plotter be after shedding his boss's blood?

Obasanjo is not a saint. We all know. Jerry Rawling of Ghana was not a saint as either.

Once in a while the world always needs one last repentant evil man to put an end to evil and that is what obasanjo did to military coup plotters.

Give him credit for it.

grin at the bolded.

The affected were not all coup plotters but:
- beneficiaries of a coup
- associated with a coup
- past holders of any political office

Obj:
- beneficiary of a coup (Head of State)
- associated with a coup (1995)
- Ditto 1 above, he also held a political office in the past

His decision could have had positive and negative impacts. Some good officers could have been erroneously retired too.

Albeit, Baba should shut it. Borrowing from you, we should not permit an "Evil" one to continue to polarize the nation. I reiterate, talking with excitement about it is where the problem lies. He has done his bit. He should retire and enjoy his loot.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by potent5(m): 4:51pm On Aug 12, 2017
OK

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:

You must be extremely out of your senses to spew this nonsense. Can't you have constructive arguments without debasing the other party? Are you that immature? Can't others have a different opinion other than yours. What knowledge have you exuded? Why get temperamental over basic issues? Why the Ad Hominem attack?

I will let this pass smiley

Guy you know nothing, the fact that you got angry because I said you know nothing doesn't mean you have acquired knowledge, go back and come back with wisdom not anger. It is a case of all or nothing.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by higgs: 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2017
God bless OBJ,he is not perfect,but he is the best president we have had since 1999.Coups are terribly destabilizing. Democracy may be slow and noisy,but it remains the best form of government. Since gaining independence in 1948,India has never had a coup. Today,they are far ahead of Nigeria in terms of development.Most of the drugs we use are made in India.These days,most Nigerians go to India for medical treatment.Our banks use Indian software.Most of the tricycles we use are made in India.BUT THEY ARE A FORMER BRITISH COLONY LIKE US.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
manikspears:

Guy you know nothing, the fact that you got angry because I said you know nothing doesn't mean you have acquired knowledge, go back and come back with wisdom not anger. It is a case of all or nothing.

It will be unjust to get angry with you, lest I lose virtue. I wish you well smiley smiley
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
Democracy is a demon of waste in a Country like Nigeria...what is needed is a form of benign Dictatorship.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by TopGunFighter: 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
mkoabiola:

meanwhile that's a cock and bull story he did that to save his own regime we have more deadly officers this days... a coup would have happened during yar aduas regime Osinbanjo is just luckybthe military likes his boss if not we would have been queuing up and marching upanda
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:

It will be unjust to get angry with you, lest I lose virtue. I wish you well smiley smiley

I wish you what you wish me too
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by joinnow: 8:23pm On Aug 12, 2017
Thought one treaty was sign that any country involved in coup the external force will force them out like Gabon
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by realborn(m): 8:36pm On Aug 12, 2017
manikspears:

I wish you what you wish me too
smiley wink
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 12, 2017
engineerboat:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/army-not-staged-coup-nigeria-obasanjo/

He is always talking. When he was opportuned to make that change. He didn't do nothing.

Currently listening to that Fela Song where he sang of Obasanjo, Yar'udua,etc wey dey do all the bad bad things.....

Geez! Fela saw into the future...

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:02pm On Aug 12, 2017
I DON'T BELIEVE IT. .THE SIMPLE REASON WAS THE AFTERMATH OF THE JUNE 12 ELECTIONS AND THE DEATH OF LATE GEN. SANI ABACHA. .THE MILITARY BECAME TRIBALISED AND THEY KNOW IF A NORTHERN SOLDIER STAGE ANOTHER COUP, SOUTHERNS SOLDIERS WILL OPT OUT. .THAT WIL LEAD TO NIGERIA BREAKING UP. .THE ALL LEARNT A GREAT LEASON FROM THE ABORTED ORKAR COUP
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Max24: 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2017
nextstep:

I have to agree with you. I used to be an OBJ hater thanks to his first military regime, but even then, I realize that the country has always made progress with him at the helm.
Yes, he is a stabilizing factor.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by NwaliE01: 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
That was how my father was given 6 hours to retire from military on September16th, 1999.
OBJ, thank you well well
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by kindklemz(m): 10:34pm On Aug 12, 2017
Iamzik:

Give him credit for it.

No, he will not give him credit, why should he?

Some people are just pure sadists and disrespectful on everything good from other people other than themselves.
Since the independent of Nigeria,no president has done more than obasanjo yet all what some folks do is howl insult at him.

He might not be a saint but he deserve our respect if not for anything but as an elder and an ex president.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Makes N12.6 Billion From The Sale Of Forms / Mum Of Chidinma Ajoku Who Died In Container Accident Speaks Up Against Injustice / NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.