Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) (3062 Views)

Twist Of Fate. / Twist Of Life / TWIST OF FATE By Olanrewaju Mobolaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2017
My phone rang and woke me up.The streams of sun rays penetrated my almaco window and into my eyes as if to blind me.I had a split second temporary memory loss which usually occur whenever I woke up from a deep sleep.I felt hot despite my air conditioner which was at it's peak,maybe my suit and tie should be sued for the. profuse sweating.I jumped off the bed and answered the call.A soft voice spoke but with a sense of urgency.It was nurse Ruby,a tall,fair and gap _toothed young lady.She called whenever there was emergency hence the moment I heard her voice I knew my attention was needed at the hospital. I would be in the hospital in ten minutes time I told her and ended the call.I knew she wanted something beyond working relationship but I never gave her the chance.
I had worked all night in the hospital, standing for long unpleasant hours but the medical director and owner of the hospital asked me to stay for the morning and afternoon shifts since there were lots of patients to attend to.I was used to that,he always asked me to stay around maybe because I am competent and only two patients died while I operated on them in my whole career which was running into three years.The story is different for my colleagues even some of our senior colleagues. I had come home to pick my second stethoscope since I could find the first one .I took a glass of warm tea and trying to rest on my couch I slept off and now it is about one hour thirty minutes since I came back. I rushed into the bathroom and switched on the shower but there was no water.I used the soap dish to scoop water from the blue bucket and washed my face with an Eva yellow soap.I dried my hands and face with the pink towel my bought on my 25th birthday. I applied a pears lotion ,I had started using pears during my college days in the dormitory and up till now I prefer it to so many others. I grabbed my stethoscope from my locker,went for my black Toyota Camry and sped off to the"The Kings and Queens hospital Ikeja.Lagos State".

Thanks great friends for reading. I am waiting for your comments as it will inspire Me to post more.Love you all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Barney11: 11:15pm On Aug 13, 2017
vety good and hope you are ready to finish up the stories

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 10:48am On Aug 14, 2017
Barney11 thanks so much,you are the first to comment on my posts in nairaland
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Toyin223(f): 12:03pm On Aug 14, 2017
NICE 1
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 10:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
Toyin223 thanks so much for reading and complementing
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2017
I walked fast due to the intense heat of the sun,Ruby ran to me looking tensed up and worried so I asked her to take a deep breath and calm down that all is well.I knew she would obey since the instruction came from me Dr Denzelle.She told me that a lady was waiting in front of my office and there were eight patients to be operated on urgently;four ceassarian operations,three hynia patients and a lady with a lump in her breast.The lady can wait,human life is more important than the world put together I said.I was known with the philosophy and some of my colleagues responded with it when we exchange pleasantries and with that I asked Ruby to join me in the theatre B upstairs.
At exactly 11pm I came out of the theatre,I was extremely worked up but felt happy because all the operations were successful. I always feel happy seeing the dying ones see a ray of hope in life and their family happy again.Ruby gave me a big brown envelope that the lady I was yet to fathom left behind. Ruby had stayed behind when the afternoon shift nurses left.I expressed my gratitude to her,she had helped me and my team yo ensure the procedures were successful and then I wished her a blissful night as she went to the nurses' quarters to sleep I guess.I tore open the envelope and it was a wedding card which read "Priscillia weds Prince".In a moment I was done reading the piece.My entire body shivered,warm tears streamed down my cheeks into my mouth which tasted salty. My heart raced, the world seemed to have collapsed and darkened. I slumped into my seat and immediately it a heavy rain started.In my theatre attire and with my stethoscope over my now aching neck I went for the door and there went the hot tea Ruby brought for me to the floor.The glass shattered and the soft bread "Joel and Sons special bread,"soaked the tea on the floor.The glass had shattered .I left without an apology, she came running after me asking if I was okay despite the fact I had caused the accident and some of the tea spilled on her white and stained it.
I ran into the rain to my car and drove off. I fast sped on the road overtaking many cars both big and Small.I entered my bedroom ,undressed and wore my long cadigan.I lay on the bed but was too restless that I stood up and after pacing down and up the room I went to the window. I squeezed my eyes tightly to enter a better world and at least have a memory loss of reality which was unbearable. Endless tears found their way down my cheek,the wind through the window blew off my tears but not the pains.I strongly inhaled the breeze to regain myself.I held the window like a prisoner and kept staring at the darkened clouds.There were strikes of thunders and flashes of lightnings which would have made me rush under the blanket due to fear when I was younger but now I starred helplessly at the chains of rain wishing they could wash away my sorrow and tears.

Dear friends thanks for reading to this point.Your comments are of great importance.

2 Likes

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 2:12pm On Aug 18, 2017
We have been close friends for years.It all started during our college days in the dorm when we were junior students and now it seems as though we had known each other from childhood.I was appointed the senior prefect and hostel prefect for the boys while she the deputy senior prefect and hostel prefect for the girls.This good turn of event made our friendship stronger .She is an epitome of humility,beautiful,caring,loving ,teacheable,intelligent and more especially she loves God even more than I do.I learnt a lot from her in all ramifications of life.These great virtues of her makes me hold her at high esteem We shared secrets ,played,prayed,had fun and did some other things together.Our parents got to know about us in the course of time.Finally after our last exams in the college we bade each other goodbye with a sorrowful heart and swollen red eyes as if we had lost each other to the cruel and cold hands of death.I later got admitted into the priestigous University of Nigeria,Nsukka to study microbiology.Through social media and phone calls we kept our fingers crossed.
My mum died in my first year second semester. She did her best to ensure I was doing excellent since she knows how much I love my mum.Sometimes amist my broken heart I called her just to here her say soothing words which would convey me from the island of hopelessness and devastation to the valley of hopefulness.What a friend I have.I recall vividly how she softly called my name in the room my mum was lied in state.She studied medical laboratory in my Alma mater while I was away in the US studying medicine on scholarship. I came back to practice in Lagos and she in Calabar. We never saw each other after the burial but communicated until the last few weeks before I got her wedding card.I went to bed since I had no appetite for even water.I covered myself with my multicoloured blanket. I squeezed my eyes to enter the dream land were wishes were horses and to forget planet earth with it's every day breaking news and sadness.
I said my prayers the following morning and called my MD telling him I shall not be reporting to work but sure will the following day and that I needed take care of a situation that cropped up.I went for a steaming hot bath.I went to study at my study desk to study my diagnostics text but the letters seems to be disappearing. I made a hot cup of coffee ,sipped it slowly at intervals while looking through the window at the rising sun which warmed the day from the previous day's downpour.I heard a voice and turned immediately and seeing Priscillia in her elegant royal blue gown;my coffee fell off my hands.She rushed to gather the scattered glass.I stool like a statue while she cleaned up my mess.We maintained a grave silence,I seemed to have been hallucinating in the wonder land when she broke the silence." Denzelle,I understand,sit we need to talk "she said.I sat quietly and in a stuttering manner,asked her how she was fairing. I guess I am doing just about fine she answered.She has been given three weeks off to put things in place for her wedding and she left Calabar for Lagos to stay with her aunty since the wedding was to take place in Lagos.She had on purpose kept mute about the wedding since she knew how devastating the news will be to me.She had met Prince her fiancé during her National Youth Service Corps at Calabar teaching hospital where Prince was already practising as a nurse and was the head of the nursing department. Prince liked her especially due to her competence and humility and within a short time they became friends.She was employed by the hospital after her service and after two years they were getting married.
"I understand",I said, though I could not even comprehend the simplest letters of ABC at this critical point.Our friendship was not the romantic type and we did not promise each other marriage besides she is a lady and needs settle at the right time taking to cognizance age and gender. We discussed so many subjects not excluding the wedding plans and her Prince charming.She told me I was among the committee of friends,I swallowed hard. I did not want to be in the group so I told her I would be busy that week which was nevertheless true but I promised showing up on the D_day sensing the depression and disappointment in her voice and downcast countenance. She agreed to that and then came to where I was sitting. Thanks Denzelle,I will ever be grateful for meeting such a nice rare type like you.You have been more than a brother not just a friend.I have learnt a lot from you.Thanks for being there for me at all times,with you I still believe that there are still guys that have the interest of the female folk at heart; not just to give a gift in the morning and ask for sex in the afternoon. You contributed immensely to whatever I today and I will always be grateful for that.My fiancé knows about you and hopes to see you soonest. Believe me is hard for me and I know same goes for you.Whatever has a beginning must have an end they say but this is an exception.Her eyes misted and mine clouded,we will always be friends and some day you will find the lucky lady that will stand by you for the rest of your life.A woman that. such a nice guy like you deserve not just any lady from the middle of nowhere.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 2:29pm On Aug 18, 2017
Dear friends,thank you for reading to this points. Your comment,critics are all welcome.
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by obafemylegacy(m): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2017
PLS CONTINUE ,WAITING IS VERY BORING, GOODS WORK ,KEEP IT UP , I LOVE IT.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 1:30am On Aug 22, 2017
Obafemilegacy thanks so much, I am inspired
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 2:32am On Aug 22, 2017
Goodbye Denzelle she said as she made her way for the door.I was exhausted crying that I cried tearlessly .I slept throughout that day eating nothing. I struggled with myself not to let anyone know what was happening subsequently. I went about my work as usual though I sometimes went to the restroom to sob when emotions build to it's peak. I was operating on a little girl on the Monday morning when in a flash and unceremoniously my lachrymal gland ignited.Ruby asked if all was going well with me which I responded in the affirmative telling her I was just pitying the little girl.In my dreams I would not tell her what was actually wrong with me.The operation was successful and after cleaning up,I went home. Days ran into weeks and soon it was the wedding eve.Coming back from work,I met my dad and siblings at home.As family friends to Priscilla they had come for the wedding and our classmates in secondary school were on their way.I had made arrangement for their feeding but I had personally made jollof rice with goat meat which is my family's favourite. We where at the dining when Ruby called and that made me glad.I knew I was needed at the hospital. I needed time alone which is impossible with my family around and my classmates that will soon arrive. I answered the call and told her I shall be in the hospital in ten minutes time as I excused myself from the table.Dressing up into the the dining,my dad asked me with a weaktone "Is that how you live your life leaving meal halfway?I have always wanted you to be a doc but not at your expense,no wonder you look so thin with a flat tummy."I told them all they needed to know about the house and what to do since I knew I might not be back till they leave for the wedding and might not meet my classmates too.I patted my dad on the shoulder telling himI will be fine and that we shall see and talk later.I almost changed my mind seeing his aging face downcast but I needed time alone so I left for the hospital biding them goodbye.
At the hospital I could pretend no more but consistently excused myself from the theatre.Ruby was worried but did her best to ensure smooth running of the procedures and I tried not to give her the chance to question me about my mood.We left the theatre at about 4am.I left the theatre and Ruby followed behind lamenting that I cannot say all is well recently when I am reflecting the opposite.My head was knocking and I felt dizzy.In a flash at same spot I had spilled the tea Ruby was getting for me,I fell and passed out.I forced my eyes open,I was in my office but on the patients' bed .I made moves but Ruby who I guess had been there long time calmed me telling me I passed out and needed as much rest as I could get.I glanced at the clock opposite and it dawned on me,it was 11:50am on the wedding day.I signalled her to remove the oxygen mask,drip and the blue blanket, she kept staring but seeing my unfriendly countenance she obeyed.I got up,buttoned up and wore my white suit.I carried my brief case which contained the gift I had bought for the soon to be couple and with just a word of thanks left for the wedding venue.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Toyin223(f): 8:48am On Aug 22, 2017
Weldone,u Did A Nice Work

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 9:20am On Aug 22, 2017
Toyin your encouragement inspires more..Thanks man
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by abefe99: 9:47am On Aug 22, 2017
tanks for the update this is really interesting

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 10:05am On Aug 22, 2017
abafe99 thanks so so much for following this I am inspired the more
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Toyin223(f): 11:10am On Aug 22, 2017
Victoroduogu:
Toyin your encouragement inspires more..Thanks man
I Am Lady

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 12:22pm On Aug 22, 2017
Walking thoughtfully to the venue, I heard Priscillia read her vows to Prince. Her voice echoed in my head especially her words"in sickness and in healt, poverty and in wealth....... to cherish and to hold,forsaking all others and clinging unto you till death do us part".I felt dizzy and mistakenly hit a stone and fell.My briefcase fell off and a lady came to my aide. She wore a baby pink gown with a golden scarf and I recalled her face.Monica happened to be a friend to both Priscillia and I and was the laboratory prefect.She was among the bridal train.She helped me up and helped me with my briefecase which broke at the left corner but that was insignificant to me now.We exchanged plesantaries and she told me,Dr Denzelle your friend Priscillia is finally walking down the aisle.I forced a smile and expressed my gratitude for her helping me.
The latest couple faced the church with the bride's hand in the groom's.Although the bride was crying,she looked even more beautiful in her bridal dress. The minister proclaimed them man and wife and that whatever God has joined together let no man put asunder the church echoed.I felt my legs shaking,I felt dizzy, my brains lost concentration.I fell backward into the hands of an usher and passed out.I heard voices from a distance which became audible with time.I opened my eyes but squinted them. The newest couple stood by my couch where I was lying in the hospital. My dad asked,'my doc that his now become a patient and me patient now a doc ,how are you feeling now'.I am doing good I replied with a weak tone and smile.Prince for the first time spoke to me.We are terribly sorry about your health.He has a soft voice that is almost feminine. Oh thanks man,congrats to the latest couple of the moment I struggled to say.I from my briefcase gave them the gift I had bought for them which was a customised clock with their names on it and the courtesy I.You went too far doc he said.Priscillia called me 'Dr Denzelle' and immediately her phone rang as if the intruding caller has been monitoring us.She answered the call and they were to leave without wasting a moment. They wished me quick recovery ,bade dad and I goodbye and made for the door.The husband passed but Priscillia turned at the door with a smile and narrowed eyes. She waved at me goodbye and I did my best out of weakness to return the favour. I smiled at her as she closed the door.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 7:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
It was the hardest time of my life. Good friends indeed are treasures and a virtuous woman a priceless gift.I watched the same friend that we studied ,had fun ,did assignments, prayed,exchanged gifts and endless other things we did together walk out of my parlor,my life and to think of her settling down with another guy clouded my eyes.My dad seeing my teary eyes drew closer, at every each point in life, friends,come and go he said. Life has got to continue, I know is hard for you.To the best of my knowledge you both were epitome of best of friends with so much in common.One of the greatest things you did was not to defile her and believe me as much as you cherish all what you both shared same goes for her and even more and that is the most important thing. Cheer up and eat my doc,soon it will be your turn to walk down the aisle with the luckiest bride on earth because having such a handsome, ambitious, well mannered doc is a very precious gift to any damsel.I sat and as I slowly ate my meal,beans with ripe plantain, tears washed down the sweat on my pale face uncontrollably.My dad handed me a white envelope from my MD.The Queen's hospital England has finally accepted my application to work with them.My MD had scheduled my send forth for Monday at 8pm since my flight was to leave at 9 am the subsequent day.

The send forth was like a wedding. I was inundated with gifts of various sizes and shapes.My MD gave me a Range rover sports car and check of a fifty thousand dollars. I felt loved like never before in my entire existence and did my best to have my emotions in control especially when my colleagues made their speechs saying how much they love me and would miss me forever. I even got to know about some of my good characters I never knew about. The cleaners and security association had pulled funds to buy me a suit of my favourite colour royal blue and a black suit case as if they knew the present one was not all that good.Dr Kenneth who I had always thought hated me with all passion proved me wrong. I was strict with you to ensure you never relaxed at any point but to keep striving hard and today I am most proud of you.He handed me the latest edition text of "all about gynaecology "by an American Doc and gave me a fatherly hug.I thanked him as brief as I could and in swollen eyes with tears headed for my office. It is not over until it is over he said as I left him.Three were excess food and drinks but all my appetite were gone and I could even throw up at the sight of my favourite meal.I sobbed with my head on my desk and after what seemed like forever raised my head.Amazingly,Ruby stood at the door in profuse tears and on my table was a parcel and a letter I guess she brought. The letter read;

2 Likes

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by azeezat22(f): 8:38pm On Aug 24, 2017
plsssssss continue am loving it

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Officialphilz(m): 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
loving this, please continue

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 5:21am On Aug 25, 2017
you all inspire me the more.Thanks officialphilz and azeezatzz.
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 10:16pm On Aug 25, 2017
Dr Denzelle,
Big congrats to you. I am least surprise because I do believe in you,your hard work and your trust in God.Thank you for your friendship although this might sound odd and out of place but then to me you a friend not just a colleague. Working with you have changed a whole lot about me for good and also has taught me great life lessons I shall never forget in a hurry.
You are the best among your colleagues and even most of our senior colleagues. You are humility personified. You respect and have regard for all,from the chief medical director to the cleaners and security men.You have been more than dedicated,showing up each time I call for emergency that I do wonder if you have anything else to do with your life in exception of your medical ambition. A man of character and integrity that never took advantage of the female nurses that parade around you for your friendship due to your good looks but more especially your competence. Working with you has been a fulfilling opportunity and I shall never forget this in life.I will certainly uphold all that I learnt from you and I hope to see you someday maybe soonest and then we can have all the time in the world to continue what has already started. Goodbye is the saddest thing yo say now but I am sorry I have to. Goodbye doc Denzelle and best wishes.
Ruby.
Thanks Ruby I said, I am astonished to my marrows at this. Candidly speaking ,I thought you should see me as evil personified and devil manifest in human form but you proved me wrong.You contributed immensely to the success of my career while I lasted here and for that I am eternally grateful and indebted to you.Pardon all of my rudeness ,snobbishness, the spilling of tea on you and endless rantings at mistakes. I guess that is what makes me a human but trust me I am working on myself to be better.I gave her my stethoscope, she showed her appreciation in tears as she left my office. The hospital atmosphere was filled with so much of sad emotions that I had to leave for my house. I needed to get myself relieved. On my way home blaring my hoot and overtaking so many vehicles both big and small, Priscillia called me with a foreign line.They were doing okay in the US .She asked me to check my email for the pics she sent to me. I sent my regard to her husband though not from my heart. I would never check my email this week ,I had already passed through a whole lot and could not afford to see her pics with Prince as the consequence of that is too grievous to be given a thought at all.I got home and finished my packing.Dad was to live in my house with my immediate elder brother who was yet yo arrive. I kept turning on the bed that night forcing my weary eyes to close.I dreamt that night walking down the aisle with Ruby.
At 7am I was at the Mortala Mohammed airport with some of my colleagues,CMD and my dad. Ruby gave me a food flask ,is your favourite she said. I found out when we filled the form "operation know your colleague beyond the hospital".Thanks dear I said,I remembered my dream about walking down the aisle with Ruby but time shall tell for now I need to recover from my emotional break down.They all waved with misted eyes as I climbed the air plane .At exactly 7:30am,the airplane tool off.I could not keep looking at them especially Ruby who had sat on the floor crying.I squeezed my eyes.I hope to find another CMD like Dr Mike,colleagues and friends like Ruby and especially great friends that will change me for good like Priscillia. I was sad but happy at the same time that we all left each other better than when we first met one another.With my eyes still closed I tried to imagine what my new life I was about to start will look and feel like.I then believed strongly in the philosophy "some friends leave you worse than they met you,others same way they met and very few better than they met you.
The End.

Thanks friends and great readers,thanks so much.Your comments and criticism are all welcome. Once again thanks my people.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by azeezat22(f): 11:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
nice story keep up the good work full of lessons

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by waliyarh01(f): 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
Thank you. Don't starve us with updates pls.

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 3:45pm On Aug 26, 2017
thanks so much for reading to the end friends, I am inspired the more
Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by waliyarh01(f): 8:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
Patiently waiting for an update buh make it snappy pls

1 Like

Re: Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) by Victoroduogu(m): 9:26am On Aug 29, 2017
Please give me sometime ,I have another one but will soon start. thanks so so much for following my writeups

(1) (Reply)

Use This First Line To Continue A Story: Writing Prompt / The Detective Novel [The Brand Of Cain] Has Finally Been Published Online / Ebook Publishing In Nigeria - How Does It Help Authors and our Future?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.