Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,822 members, 7,798,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Suspended From Work Via Phone Call - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Suspended From Work Via Phone Call (14095 Views)

She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Ugandan Court Clerk Suspended For Dressing Too "Sexy" (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
Young03:

potential slave?

now that he's about to be sack, Are u gonna give him a job?

See your face like a castrated bull

Lol,if you see my face,you go bow!
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
the boss is just being too petty over 500 naira
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by jamesibor: 10:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

Amí nke si kung uka, before uso anam mbad ye utebe idem ammo aboyoi uka, idaha Amí, ndung Ama dongho utebe itid amo ayoho... Usoh abad atebe idem, asuk asi Ben mfed Ndito asi ke abang ndung ado.. eyen mma akpara ino one, kobo kobo.

Abasi akan ami adi kung uka. Idad Itam junction ake kung uka asin enye idip anye uman fien. Anye anam afo udiongo ke uso. Uso ake se ado asanga ifed Idad ke Urua Itam. Eke se ekod enye National.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:44pm On Aug 14, 2017
jamesibor:

Abasi akan ami adi kung uka. Idad Itam junction ake kung uka asin enye idip anye uman fien. Anye anam afo udiongo ke uso. Uso ake se ado asanga ifed Idad ke Urua Itam. Eke se ekod enye National.

before ndung ake dionghor itid uka ayoho... uka akesi kung mme mkpeteng... aye nam afo ado mkpeteng.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by kinah(f): 10:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
OnyeAmuma:

Okay this is it... I was hired as a maintenance personnel, along the line I was persuaded to carry out some duties outside my job description which I obliged, I was entitled to #1000 call card weekly for calls. Today, a senior colleague brought #500 to me instead of the #1000 and said the boss decided to cut it down, initially things like this are discussed before implementation. I declined taking the #500 and that was it.

that is an act of rudeness. u should av taken the N500 call card. is like u indirectly slap u boss, the person sent to u is representin ur boss, rejecting the card is like calling the whole thing bluff and an act of disrespect. pray is not more that this. I would advice u call ur boss and apologise, it is like u are favoured at work. if not u will get to the gate tmw and won't b allowed in, which can be more disgraceful.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by ExInferis(m): 10:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
Doesn't add up.

If you could be suspended over so trivial an issue , i dare say you're not that important to the company anyway. Face it, you're disposable.

You're already on your way out.

If i were you, I'd start looking for work rather than messing about with labor laws and lawyers and whatnot.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Originalsly: 11:01pm On Aug 14, 2017
OP.... don't worry about my tone... you seem to be someone arrogant and full of pride.... forgetful of the position you applied for and what was expected of you. You admitted to doing 'outside work' ...I guess on his time...and you seem to believe that's ok...that's grounds for you to be fired...in any country. You said you are entitled to N1K for phone calls.... that was in the contract?...or that's what they gave?...and you took it to the next level... you are entitled? Even if you were... they can cut it down to whatever they think fit....or eliminate it altogether. More on point.... do you know if any of what you were told is true? Do you know if the guy took half of your 1k and cooked up the reduction story?...or the you are suspended story? Don't show up for work tomorrow.... go get a lawyer and return next two weeks or whenever.... I guarantee you will be fired for not showing up for work...quitting without notice. And what will your boss say?...he never suspended you... then what?

1 Like

Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by kinah(f): 11:04pm On Aug 14, 2017
Originalsly:
OP.... don't worry about my tone... you seem to be someone arrogant and full of pride.... forgetful of the position you applied for and what was expected of you. You admitted to doing 'outside work' ...I guess on his time...and you seem to believe that's ok...that's grounds for you to be fired...in any country. You said you are entitled to N1K for phone calls.... that was in the contract?...or that's what they gave?...and you took it to the next level... you are entitled? Even if you were... they can cut it down to whatever they think fit....or eliminate it altogether. More on point.... do you know if any of what you were told is true? Do you know if the guy took half of your 1k and cooked up the reduction story?...or the you are suspended story? Don't show up for work tomorrow.... go get a lawyer and return next two weeks or whenever.... I guarantee you will be fired for not showing up for work...quitting without notice. And what will your boss say?...he never suspended you... then what?

bro!!!! God bless ur
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by kinah(f): 11:04pm On Aug 14, 2017
Originalsly:

bro!!!! God bless u
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Chatflick(m): 11:46pm On Aug 14, 2017
OnyeAmuma:

Okay this is it... I was hired as a maintenance personnel, along the line I was persuaded to carry out some duties outside my job description which I obliged, I was entitled to #1000 call card weekly for calls. Today, a senior colleague brought #500 to me instead of the #1000 and said the boss decided to cut it down, initially things like this are discussed before implementation. I declined taking the #500 and that was it.
You did nothing wrong declining. In my opinion, don't settle for less.

PS: Biko let nobody quote me. Thanks for cooperating. Goodnight Nairalanders.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by linearity: 2:05am On Aug 15, 2017
decatalyst:

Your boss saw that flagrant rejection as an insult to his office! Let me tell you how I feel. I think he is right to see it as insult!

You should have accepted it and meet with the person that sent the money in person. That's wisdom!

By the way, which standard company suspends or fire over the phone? undecided

This is bull! His Boss is a man-child, the OP is right to reject it. Legally, had he accepted it, it can be viewed as his acceptance of the reduced calling card entitlements.

Agreed, the money involved here is very little, but the principle is key. You don't walk into an office on a payday and accept 50% reduced pay without any explanation and if a reduction is anticipated, it must be communicated ahead of time.

That said, OP looking for a lawyer over N1,000.00 is waste of time. You did a good thing by rejecting it, that shows that you dignity and have a good sense of self-worth, don't sell yourself short. Use these two weeks to look for another job, intensify your efforts, if after two weeks you didn't get another job, resume the work...but you must leave that company, they don't value their workers....you can't have a career there.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by linearity: 2:14am On Aug 15, 2017
Originalsly:

I doubt if you understood the OP...He never indicated that, he accepted or did outside job....He was persuaded to do some jobs outside his company assigned obligations and N1,000 was added as additional payments for his added headaches.

A more likely scenario might be e.g. he was employed to only do maintenance on certain items e.g. A,B & C....but along the line, he was persuaded aka begged to also maintain items D & F and for accepting the new responsibilities N4k was added to his entitlements in form of calling cards. Which means, the Boss acknowledged that, this new added assignments were outside his obligations and as much as I agreed that, the Boss reserve the right to reduce or eliminate the increased entitlement, he is obligated to give the OP advance notice.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 15, 2017
OP, I'm not a Lawyer but I have common sense.

You are completely at fault and you created a hostile environment for yourself.

Serve out your suspension (please find a way to verify that you are actually suspended so this doesn't become dereliction of duty), go back and be as happy as a runaway slave.

Don't do it again.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Originalsly: 3:41am On Aug 15, 2017
linearity:

I doubt if you understood the OP...He never indicated that, he accepted or did outside job....He was persuaded to do some jobs outside his company assigned obligations.
Thanks....this is correct...my bad.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Asafaizonboy: 5:28am On Aug 15, 2017
OnyeAmuma:

you decline that alone shows you are tired of working with them.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Newerakings(m): 5:44am On Aug 15, 2017
since it is still a suspension, i will advice you wait for the two weeks before you know your next line of action.

where you given a letter of appointment? Are there any agreement as to the procedure for dismissal or suspension in the company ?

These are the issues we should look at.

I am a lawyer if need be i could help you with a case of wrongful dismissal but you have to wait for the suspension to elapse because suspension is not dismissal.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Gamusgamus: 6:17am On Aug 15, 2017
Your boss appears to be a mean person or was actually looking for an opportunity to fire you, suspending you over the phone doesn't hold water and is against working etiology, you were not hired on phone (were you ? ) suspending you via phone is there fore unconstitutional.
If your have labour union in your company, meet the excos and report the ordeal, if you are not unionized I will suggest you call your boss and plead with him .
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by nnaemmy(m): 7:10am On Aug 15, 2017
@ OP, please don't make any legal issue out of it. your boss might be right in what he did as it's possible he saw it as an insult. However you may also be right if going legally but two wrongs can not make right. just swallow it and resume work in 2 weeks as directed. Meet your boss later and sort it out amicably. Doing otherwise may frustrate your stay in that firm... my humble opinion.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by lexy2014: 7:20am On Aug 15, 2017
kinah:

that is an act of rudeness. u should av taken the N500 call card. is like u indirectly slap u boss, the person sent to u is representin ur boss, rejecting the card is like calling the whole thing bluff and an act of disrespect. pray is not more that this. I would advice u call ur boss and apologise, it is like u are favoured at work. if not u will get to the gate tmw and won't b allowed in, which can be more disgraceful.
nkem owoh a.k.a osuofia sang a song titled agreement is agreement.in legal parlance that is called a contract.a contract could either b verbal or written. written contracts are more reliable as it is very difficult to dispute written testament. verbal contracts though has shortcomings is still binding. just like d contract u enter into with ur tailor. a contract set outs clearly d terms by which two or more parties are 2 relate with each other.if any of d parties 4 any reason feels that he can't meet his obligations, he should communicate same 2d other parties with good reason. if for instance, u can't resume work at 8am which is ur contractual obligation, it behoves on u 2 inform ur employer ASAP. Same way If an employer can't meet its financial obligation 2 its employees, it has a responsibility 2 inform d employee of such. there's nothing like being rude 4 rejecting N500.there was a contract. as far as d young man is concerned, he has fulfilled his part of d contract y would his employer renege on his without informing him b4 hand?if he wasn't fulfilling d terms of his contract, then that's when u can start scolding him
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Teacher1776(m): 7:24am On Aug 15, 2017
OnyeAmuma:
Good evening Nairalanders, something happened in my office today and just this evening I got a call from a senior colleague that my boss has given me two weeks suspension without pay.... The company's security also called to inform me that he received a call from my boss instructing him not to allow me inside the company premises from tomorrow.

I have been a staff of the company for two years and I want to know if there is anyway to challenge the suspension or if there is any lawyer here who is abreast of the labour law as regards my situation. Thanks

My dear, truth is u were not treated fairly. Bosses are like this these days. The economy too is not favouring the bosses too. So u need to sympathise with them and not only think of what u stand to take home. Most company have slashed their workers salaries.

Suspension is a disciplinary action. If u feel u are unfairly suspended, u may tender your resignation and look for a job elsewhere. Or u may swallow your pride, take a pen and paper, write to your boss, regretting your earlier action, asking for pardon. (no smoke without fire). Don't forget, if your boss is suspending u over this minor issue, they are probably telling you they can go on without you. So if u wish to continue working there, watch your actions, humble yourself. There are few jobs out there. Even your boss knows this. That's why he is acting like he's doing you a favour.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by RealityShot: 7:39am On Aug 15, 2017
OnyeAmuma:

YOU better Go to work this morning O!

what if its a JOKE?
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Rondigee: 7:55am On Aug 15, 2017
My friend go and pay a lawyer
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Zirah: 8:53am On Aug 15, 2017
OnyeAmuma:
Good evening Nairalanders, something happened in my office today and just this evening I got a call from a senior colleague that my boss has given me two weeks suspension without pay.... s

You were never valued by your employer in the first place. Trust me on this one. Tender your resignation letter before they sack you.

Or send an apology letter to your boss. Whether or not he accepts is up to him. If eventually he resolves to fire you, don't sign the sack letter. Tender your resignation instead. Good luck.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by dogankurye(m): 9:20am On Aug 15, 2017
Urs its a hard situtation dude
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by DJInfluence: 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2017
You are even lucky it is only suspension thru a call. Diego Costa received only a text message.

Seriously though, no need to contest this, it will help no one because it will only increase the bad blood between you and your boss. Maybe the person that was sent to give you the recharge card exagerated to your boss when reporting back. So try and get audience with the boss and state your side and hope that he is understanding and lift your suspension.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Abbotp: 1:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
The one of yesterday that I witnessed is two months suspension for something rather trivial.
OnyeAmuma:
Good evening Nairalanders, something happened in my office today and just this evening I got a call from a senior colleague that my boss has given me two weeks suspension without pay.... The company's security also called to inform me that he received a call from my boss instructing him not to allow me inside the company premises from tomorrow.

I have been a staff of the company for two years and I want to know if there is anyway to challenge the suspension or if there is any lawyer here who is abreast of the labour law as regards my situation. Thanks
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by awuf2008: 2:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
romenna:
Are you a worker living in Lagos and have need for a Loan? LAPO Microfinance Bank has a special loan for working class. Very easy to Access, No Collateral is required, Very competitive interest rate; and Flexible repayment structure. For further enquiry; Call Sarah 08073828073

Who told u that Almighty LAPO Loan is easy to access?

1 Like

Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 15, 2017
It's unfortunate that a company you have dedicated your time to for several years would treat you in this manner.

There is a 110% chance someone is back stabbing you to your boss as this is common practice in offices.

Two years is a good time to have developed some good relations with your boss so I would suggest you give him a call.

It wasn't really good you rejected the call card. I wish you had taken it and then demanded for more air time claiming you ran out because your outright rejection was an insult to his office. Although not enough to warrant a 2 weeks suspension without pay.( ie, if this is all there is to it).

Give him a call, thank him for job opportunity and apologize. tell him you thought your colleague was playing a fast one hence your rejection. If he doesn't take your call which I think he will do, send him a lengthy text.

If you haven't shown arrogance in the past, then he will listen to you.

If you have shown arrogance, some people in your office may have been steering the wheel to your boss and this two weeks without pay may end up in sack.

Should he listen and you resume immediately or he refuse nd you resume in 2 weeks, my brother lay low oo.. pride comes b4 fall. Naija is hard so your job role can change as your coy wants and decisions can change like the weather. It's not your father's coy so accept am or take the exit.

I work for a very very good coy yet the only thing I never do yet na to wash toilet grin cheesy. The job responsibilities keep adding up but at the end of the day, I am VERY grateful to God for the opportunity to earn a living.

Please have a mindset like that. I pray you get called back asap. Stay blessed.
Re: Suspended From Work Via Phone Call by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
Princedan50:
lolzzz. The Oga is a clown sha. Even uses a gateman for such work shows the guy is know rudeness,pride n arrogant. The man wan humble you show you even gateman fit lock you out.
you sent me a PM mate??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chemical Engineering Job Or Filling Station Manager Job? / Johnspeak Uwangue: How Not To Get Sacked From Your Workplace / Can I Still Work In PWC Or Any Of The BIG 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.