Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... (36246 Views)

Naomi Ogunwusi: When I Started Preaching, People Wanted To Bring Me Down / Our Ancestors Believed The Earth Was Flat And Surrounded By Water. / Sultan Of Sokoto Attends Convocation Of International Islamic University, Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by H8ta(m): 9:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
As shared on Instagram: Ekyogero is a popular cultural bath in many communities in Uganda for newborn babies consisting of various herbs. The use of ekyogero is widespread in Uganda, but it is more common among tribes from central, western and south-western Uganda.

Rose Namuli, an elderly Muganda woman, says according to the Kiganda culture, the herbal bath is a must for a newborn baby.

Traditionally, the baby's grandmother gathered particular herbs like olweza, ebombo, omwolola and omwetango. In addition, she had the responsibility of teaching her daughter-in-law how to boil the herbs and bathe the baby, she explains.

According to Namuli, not only is the herbal bath used to cleanse and give the baby a smooth skin, it is also believed to bring good luck to the baby and ward off curses. She adds that ekyogero prevents skin rash (enoga).

Norah Ahabwe, an elderly woman from Mbarara, says when a newborn baby is bathed in ekyogero, she gets good luck and is given some to drink to protect it against diseases like malaria. She says the herbal concoction also boosts appetite and cleans the digestive system.

Jolly Byenkya, the minister of culture in Bunyoro Kitara Kingdom, says about 10 herbs are gathered and boiled to make ekyogero.

She says the baby is bathed in the herbs from the first day of birth up to three months. Byenkya adds that the herbal bath is intended to prevent bad luck and diseases.

Source: http://g00gle.com.ng/ekyogero-traditional-bath-believed-bring-goodluck-wade-away-failure/

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqDnmTF-1y/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by H8ta(m): 7:35am On Aug 15, 2017
Lalasticlala wink
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Donniefred(m): 7:42am On Aug 15, 2017
When you thought you've seen it all grin

21 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by dHustle: 9:47am On Aug 15, 2017
shocked
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by MrHistorian: 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2017
Culture prevails..

Civilization derails..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Drsheddy(m): 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
The more you look the less you see shocked

1 Like

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
Bring Goodluck to where undecided

He should better stay in OTUOKE grin cheesy

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by peckhamboi: 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
Sometimes I dey blame God why he put me for Africa.

Goodluck my foot, yet they have one of the highest poverty and lowest life expectancy rates in the world.

Africa just carry superstitious beliefs for head without questioning them.

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by emmabest2000(m): 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
FAKE SPIRITUAL BATH ....

2 Shares

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
Goodluck ko jonathan ni

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
grin grin grin grin

And yet they are still an underdeveloped nation. #SmirkyFace
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by chrischina(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Ok, but i will never try such on my kids
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by iamleumas: 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
peckhamboi:
ff
Femi Fani

IffaCatchYouEhn:
K
Kayode?

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by SmartPunter(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
I Go Lyke Need that Kind Bath to Be Winning My Bet9ja slip Regular , But anyway GBoys Go neeed am Pass sha..........

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by dhebz2pon(m): 12:54pm On Aug 15, 2017
Ohk... Mk we fry beans
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by muller101(m): 12:55pm On Aug 15, 2017
Is she trying to cook the baby.
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by RIPEnglish: 12:55pm On Aug 15, 2017
Africa with their rubbish traditionals. how will these helped the poor boy live?
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by elitejosef: 12:55pm On Aug 15, 2017
So funny
Sometimes African are judt backward

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Thobiy(m): 12:56pm On Aug 15, 2017
Which kind culture be this
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Trendirabingi: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2017
From d pics... Is dat child giving a waka sign or what,? Like "waka there sha oo, for looking at my yansh.. Who call u here.. Loolz

1 Like

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by medolab90(m): 12:58pm On Aug 15, 2017
Buhari should have gone for this while he was young
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by 0b100100111: 1:00pm On Aug 15, 2017
Same Goodluck that befell Nigeria years ago grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by GuntersChain(m): 1:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
Idi amin dada had the same bath.

1 Like

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by dakeskese(m): 1:07pm On Aug 15, 2017

If it woks, fine.

We must sustain our culture

Our culture and traditions must not die.
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Agimor(m): 1:08pm On Aug 15, 2017
I know some mofos would soon stun the thread just to submit their criticism. Africans should endeavor to sustain and preserve their traditions and it shouldn't give way for westernization.

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by perez100: 1:10pm On Aug 15, 2017
They have the same tradition with some communities in Osun State, South West of Nigeria where they bathe 9 days babies with cooked corn water which is mixed with urine of an elderly woman who must be from 95yrs and above. They also believe it has some good lucks attach to it.
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by AuroraB(f): 1:11pm On Aug 15, 2017
The pikin in the pic dash una 'waka' lipsrsealed
Kikikikikikikikikikikikiiiiii cheesy grin undecided
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by gulfer: 1:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
Na so, we were also bathed in Agbo (trado-herbal drink) made from tree barks and leaves while we were small.......Only those born before the 90s will understand.
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by Hexilon: 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2017
The herbal bath resemble "Oha soup" one auntie cooked grin

1 Like

Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by bluejean(f): 1:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
A bath meant to bring good luck, prevent diseases Totally superstitious.

I have come to know better n d post made me laff sef
Re: Uganda Ekyogero Traditional Bath Is Believed To Bring Goodluck And Wade Away... by SalamRushdie: 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2017
Yet Uganda doesn't have a single billionaire on the Forbes list despite all the good luck bath yet they don't have the best soccer player in the world , yet their economy isn't the best in Africa..ha

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Graces Front Cover Of Monarch Issues Of Vglamour Magazine / "Your Queens Will Multiply" Prophetess Olori Naomi Tells Her Husband Ooni Of Ife / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.