Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

True To Self By Bryson Tiller Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / True To Self By Bryson Tiller Album Review (716 Views)

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review / DJ Khaled – Wild Thoughts Ft. Rihanna And Bryson Tiller Mp3 Download / Download Dj Khaled Ft Rihanna & Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

True To Self By Bryson Tiller Album Review by petermuller(m): 12:31am On Aug 15, 2017
Bryson Djuan Tiller (born January 2, 1993), an American singer, songwriter and rapper. He started his career in 2011, releasing the debut mixtape titled Killer Instinct Vol.1. Tiller initially gained notable recognition following the release of his debut single, “Don’t “, which peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 (it was a hot track), also being remixed by numerous other artists. Tiller’s debut studio album, Trapsoul, was released in October 2015 and peaked at number eight on the Billboard 200 chart. In May 2017, Tiller released his second studio album, True to Self, which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 and definitely one to have in your playlist.
Logically and confusingly, Bryson Tiller has gotten to the peak he has in recent years. On one hand, his demonstrative, down-in-his-feelings approach to trap music is easy to lay hold of. But on the other, it’s generally derivative nature topped its potential. Trapsoul, his previous album was an excellent introduction and not much else, an album full of blunt, catchy tracks best served as late night fuel to text an ex-girlfriend. As such, True To Self to me was Tiller’s first real opportunity to put a gap between himself and his contemporaries, and really he went all out on this one but It was an inch close to perfection.

True to self, a 58 minute album took a while to sink in for me but later on, True to Self did. Stock trap beats step over each other thoughtlessly, barely switching things up or inspiring excitement. Tiller brings his half-sung, half-rapped style to each track which was rather flexible following his clinical verse on Wild Thoughts. The memorable choruses of Trapsoul are generally absent, no doubt, but that was compensated for. The composition of the tunes however giving off the vibe of a guy dropping freestyle verses out of his journal. By the time he sunders out the good stuff (“Before You Judge”, “Somethin Tells Me”, “Run Me Dry”), the album is few minutes away from over.

An upgrade was expected in the Lyrics department after Trapsoul, but it slightly missed the mark compared to Trapsoul. Bryson is more confident than ever however, he put up quite a form at being a convincing story teller both in his lyrics and delivery. On the other hand his problems are comically exaggerated and un-relatable, never disseminating a similarity of empathy within the listener. It’s rather difficult to do anything but roll your eyes when Tiller drops lines like “album overdue/you would find it hard to focus too/if you met the women I have/hard not to get sidetracked” on “In Check”, a three minute snoozer of a track that exists and does little else.

When Young Tiller is popping off at adversaries or bragging, such as on “Blowing Smoke” and “Money Problems/Benz Truck”, his delivery is so limp and dead you begin to think if even he’s sold on himself. Definitely, there is also the occasional groan-worthy bar like “Young Pen Griffey/I go to bat for my niggas/the pun was intended niggas”. Similar to Trapsoul, True To Self has no guest appearances, leaving Bryson to deliver the 19 track record himself, a task he doesn’t accomplish. Something rare happened.
“Run Me Dry” my favourite off the track.
This is an interesting production change-up. Even the first note is far different than the moody production. We finally got some color. Bryson’s tone is always black, a very thin black, but “Run Me Dry” is surprisingly house party like. This rhythm is subtle but captivating, I can readily imagine the hips whining to this special one. I especially love how the sample is looped, it’s an elegant jam. I give it up for Bryson on this particular one. I hate that the album took 19 songs to show some life, show some truth, show some flexibility. Straight up voting “Run Me Dry” for a house party.

Personally, Trapsoul wasn’t really creative, but it was real, and Tiller’s emerging story and girl problems were delivered well enough to make you care. On True to Self, he missed that mark

Source : www.revhaven.com

Re: True To Self By Bryson Tiller Album Review by TrapSoul(m): 3:49pm On Aug 17, 2017
"Run me dry" that track is fire i love it...

(1) (Reply)

Dj-expensive_summer Medicine Mixtape / 7 Contemporary Nigerian Gospel Artistes In Their 20s / 12 Nigerian Pop Singers Who Started From Church Choir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.