Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes (11462 Views)

Imota Rice Mill: Lagos To Train And Empower Farmers In Rice Production / Ogun State Begins Dry Season Harvest In Youth Rice Production Project / Guinea Seeks Nigeria’s Support In Rice Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Truth234(m): 3:45am On Aug 16, 2017
Local rice production in Nigeria has now reached 15 million metric tonnes annually, the government has claimed.

It said the development means the country will now be saving about N300 billion it used to spend annually on importation of the commodity.

The Director of Agriculture at the Kano office of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Muhammad Adamu, made the claim yesterday while inaugurating the Rice Millers Association of Nigeria, (RIMAN) in the state.

He said in Kano alone, 1.2 million metric tonnes of rice was produced in 2016.

He said with the significant increase in local productions and the efforts to make the local variety qualitative and more attractive to Nigerians, the country expects to begin exporting rice to West African countries by 2018/2019.

Adamu, according to Premium Times, said about 34 states in Nigeria are producing rice, with many now producing three times in a year.

He disclosed that investigation carried out by the federal government revealed that rice imported to Nigeria are 10-15 years old and are preserved with chemicals which can cause cancer to consumers.

In his remarks, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Rice Miller’s Association, Peter Dama, said, the association was established to promote local milling of rice that is fresh, healthy and nutritious.

He said the association is willing to collaborate with the Nigeria Customs Service to stem smuggling of expired rice into Nigeria.

Dama added that the association intended to work closely with regulatory agencies and policymakers to ensure standard in local rice milling.

The customs officer in charge of rice enforcement, Ado Hassan, warned that officers caught conniving with rice smugglers would have themselves to blame.

He said in less than one year, the zonal command of the agency confiscated 800,000 bags of rice in Kano and Jigawa States.

He said about 9,000 bags of the rice are still in the stores of the agency, adding that most of the rice were being given to internally displaced persons after been certified fit for consumption by the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

http://investorsking.com/local-rice-production-hits-15m-tonnes/

5 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by EYIBLESSN(m): 4:04am On Aug 16, 2017
Upon all these figures Audu Ogbeh said there are no bags to bagged the rice produced in this country.

The kind of stupid reasoning coming from our government this days can be so disgusting. The minister for education was quoted as saying some of the minister masterminded the ASUU strike so that they can robe him of nonperformance.

When he was busy writing gibberish against the Federal Government as a member of ASUU, he has forgotten that. Now that the table is turning against the next thing which is common to the APC Government is giving excuses that stinks beyond the sky.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by EYIBLESSN(m): 4:04am On Aug 16, 2017
Upon all these figures Audu Ogbeh said there are no bags to bagged the rice produced in this country.

The kind of stupid reasoning coming from our government this days can be so disgusting. The minister for education was quoted as saying some of the ministers in the cabinet as himself masterminded the ASUU strike so that they can robe him of nonperformance.

When he was busy writing gibberish against the Federal Government as a member of ASUU, he has forgotten that. Now that the table is turning against the next thing which is common to the APC Government is giving excuses that stinks beyond the sky.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Davash222(m): 4:21am On Aug 16, 2017
Truth234:

He said in Kano alone, 1.2 million metric tonnes of rice was produced in 2016.

Which Kano

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by thesicilian: 4:41am On Aug 16, 2017
They must be talking of e-rice.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Amoto94(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2017
I know there is marked improvement in rice cultivation but I doubt the quoted figures as there are no verifiable records to validate his claim.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by KayDEAN(m): 7:43am On Aug 17, 2017
I hope we don't get cancer sad shocked
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Angelb4: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2017
This govt will definitely bounce back the lost glory of Nigeria by the PDP. Working without noise

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by abes(m): 7:45am On Aug 17, 2017
Invisible rice grin

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by rozayx5(m): 7:45am On Aug 17, 2017
N has this reduced the price

undecided
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by AidilZ: 7:45am On Aug 17, 2017
See lie. Lai has infected all these people.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by adezjamz(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2017
K
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2017
Trust me Those Miscreants that were busy cursing Buhari wen he banned sale of forex to rice importers will come here and say "God bless GEJ"...

but then its Buhari that ate all the curses and blame wen he tried forcing us to go back to the farm... no be say im concern me sef, Buhari dey dey flex for London, GEJ dey busy dey go on world tour... me dey here dey reason where breakfast go comot from.

make I come dey go mbok.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 17, 2017
Like seriously, the only question I have for then is how much is a bag of rice?
Just watch all these figures, APC has began their subtle propaganda ahead of the next general elections. The earlier the opposition parties checkmates them, the better for our economic sanity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by kinggeecee: 7:48am On Aug 17, 2017
And still yet Local Rice still the sell 400 per mudu...where are dey producing d rice sef am here in Jos buying Foreign rice 600 per mudu..social media with lies sha..God bless Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Integrityfarms(m): 7:48am On Aug 17, 2017
Yet we are still buying it above 12k per bag, I don't no why all these paper statistics irk me?

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by shachris02: 7:48am On Aug 17, 2017
Local rice production in Nigeria has now reached 15 million metric tonnes annually, the government has claimed.

These people are quickly coming out with false figures to disparage the facts laid down by Jonathan.

The truth is, this government is a failure.

When last did you hear the government commission a completed project or even start a new one?

Infrastructure is rotting away in Nigeria.

Boko haram is probably at it's worse ( killed 30 persons the other day and no major Nigerian news channel carried it, even though it was major headlines in foreign news channels. ) and nobody is saying anything.

It's high time genuine Nigeria rise up against these devils.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by greatiyk4u(m): 7:49am On Aug 17, 2017
Very soon every tongue shall confess that Buhari means we'll for Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by sammyj: 7:49am On Aug 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Jeffrey12(m): 7:49am On Aug 17, 2017
See them for upp.... Any good news, some people must still talk.... They just cnt stop hating it is in their DNA...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by evansjeff(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2017
I see today's gonna be a good day...

All good news since morning

6 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by opeolu202: 7:52am On Aug 17, 2017
nice development. Na for price to com down remain.
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 17, 2017
yes.....we're getting there. our vision is to be self-sufficient in terms of agricultural products by dec 2018.
no more importation of foreign foods.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by natznext(m): 7:53am On Aug 17, 2017
This might save us some fx but won't likely reduce commodity price, at least not until farming and milling cost is greatly reduced by fully-mechanizing and subsidizing...

I also think they must have calculated the capacities of the proposed rice mills here and there to arrive at this 15mill tonnes, bec I no think say we dey chop pass 6mill tonnes annually, and we've been importing about 60% of that
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by lailo: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2017
foreign rice are expired products?but when custom confiscated them and NAFDAC test them,they are now fit for consumption for IDP and custom bosses?Nigeria is a miracle country.

3 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by 0b100100111: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2017

Just Imagine!

And Obiano's rice is still yet to germinate after a year plus

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by hilroy: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2017
We know the region that produced the least food

The real parasites

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by 989900: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2017
Good news.
On the right path.
Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by LockDown69(m): 7:55am On Aug 17, 2017
Davash222:

Which Kano
How many Kano you know? Muntulah!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Hits 15m Tonnes by aku626(m): 7:56am On Aug 17, 2017
Cool so how much is a bag of rice now?

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Set Up Cashew Processing Plants In Four States — Ogbeh / Oil Palm Is Our New Crude Oil - Governor Obaseki / I Am In Need Of Constant Supplier Of Eggs Either In Low Or High Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.