Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Catholic Practices: Is It In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Practices: Is It In The Bible (381 Views)

Church Resumption: Guidelines By Catholic Archdiocese Of Lagos / Adewale Martins: Mbaka May Be Barred From Preaching By Catholic / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Catholic Practices: Is It In The Bible by silibaba: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2017
A)QUESTION 0NE- IS JESUS CHRIST GOD?

B)ARE THERE THREE PERSONS IN ONE GOD?

If Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God, does that mean that there are three Gods? No. There is only one God. The existence of the Three persons in One God is a mystery; that is, something which is true but which we could never have known were it is revealed to us by God Himself. This mystery remains so because man's knowledge of God in the present life is purely intellectual, weak, and hazy

God became man in the person of Jesus Christ. But when Jesus Christ was on earth, he did not go about shouting that he is God.he wanted people to know this without being told so. He wanted hi life to speak for him. Listen to what he told Philip, one of his disciples. 'have i been with you so long, and yet you do not know me? He who has seen me has seen the Father: how can you say 'show us the Father '.........Believe me that i am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves' (John 14:9-11)

If Jesus had gone around telling people: 'i am Yeweh' would he have found it easy to mix up with the people? would his eating and drinking with the people not be a big scandal; and infact, a denial of his claim that he is God? Does God eat and drink? one thing seems clear: If Jesus had told the Jews right from his boyhood that he is God, the kind of claim that he made during his trial (Matt. 26:64), he would probably have been pursued and killed earlier than he was.

it is difficult to understand how Jesus can be both God and man. Though we cannot understand it, it remain true that Jesus is God. I will now give you series of scriptural quotations in support of this truth:

1. In the prophecy of Isaiah, we see the nature of Christ foretold. '.....Wonder-counsellor, Mighty-God, Enternal-Father, Prince of Peace' (Isaiah 9:1-7).

2. 'In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God... and the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us ....'(John 1:1 & 14).

3. 'to have seen me is to have seen the Father'. (John 14:8-11)

4. 'the Father is in me and i am in the Father' (John 10:38).

5. 'GO therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy spirit' (Matt.28:19).

The above quotations show the divinity of Jesus Christ. Other scriptural evidences about the Trinity are cited below:

6. 'i shall ask the Father and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever, that Spirit of truth' (John 14:16).

Note the use of the word Advocate here. An Advocate is a person who pleads for another. Some people think that the Holy Spirit is a kind of impersonal force emanating from God and moving people to do things. No. The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit is a distinct personality that proceeds from God. Jesus said:

7. 'These things i have spoken to you, while I am still with you but the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you' (John 14:25-26).

Mark the words used used here. The Holy Spirit is a Counsellor and a teacher.

Some Bibles used the word 'Paraclete' for the Holy Spirit. The meaning is the same. 'The word 'Paraclete can be translated in many different ways: Advocate, Counsellor, Guide, Intercessor, Protector, Support. A Paraclete was the person who stood by the defendant in a trial in a court room. He was on the defendant's side and gave him all the help and advice which the defendant needed. Jesus was saying that just as he had a Paraclete, an Advocate, for his disciples, so the Holy Spirit would be a new Paraclete'. Let us listen to what St. Paul has to say about Jesus.

8. His state was divine yet he did not cling to his equality with God. (Phil. 2:6).

9. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell (Col. 1:19; 2:9).

Further references: 1 Tim. 1:17; Tit. 2:13.

it is possible to try to explain this big mystery of the Trinity without making reference to the Holy Scripture. It is understood that St. Patrick did try to use a simple leaf to illustrate it. The is splendid. However, no evidence is more acceptable and authentic than that of the Scripture on the subject.

Jesus is God. Only faith can accept this truth. If we are truly Christian, we should accept this mystery on the authority of Jesus. It is not a matter for mathematical proof.
Re: Catholic Practices: Is It In The Bible by BlueAngel444: 3:19pm On Aug 17, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Modesty In Achievement. / The Effects Of A Curse / Repent Today! The Kingdom Of God Is At Hand! Jesus Christ Is Lord Of All!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.