Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] (6474 Views)

Poll: Which team will win this 1st leg encounter?

FC Porto: 50% (5 votes)
Arsenal: 30% (3 votes)
Neither; they'll draw: 20% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

FC Porto Vs Chelsea: UCL (2 - 1) On 29th September 2015 / Arsenal Vs Stoke City (1 - 0) On February 2, 2013 / Newcastle Vs Chelsea (3 - 2) On February 2, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Cristalz(f): 7:22am On Feb 17, 2010
FC Porto coach Jesualdo Ferreira says keeping a clean sheet in the opening leg of their first knockout round tie against Arsenal FC will have a big bearing on whether his team progress.

While admitting encounters with Arsenal FC are "always open", Jesualdo Ferreira has pinpointed shutting out "one of the best teams in the competition" as key if his FC Porto side are to have a chance of winning their UEFA Champions League first knockout round tie. Opposite number Arsène Wenger was equally forthcoming with praise, saying Porto have "no weaknesses".

Jesualdo Ferreira, Porto coach
''We usually study how a team plays, but we know Arsenal will maintain their style. They didn't start the Premier League well but are now recovering, just like us after we lost Lisandro and Lucho at the end of last season. A match between Arsenal and Porto is always open and I'm sure it will be very attractive to watch. Raul Meireles and Hulk will be available – they both bring experience and add quality to the team. Hulk is in good shape after training well, and although he lacks match fitness, he is still keen to play. Raul has international experience and I hope he plays to the best of his ability.

Raul and Rúben Micael must stick to the game plan – that's all they have to do. We are playing well and Arsenal bring the ideal opponent to display our true quality against. We really want to progress but we know Arsenal are one of the best teams in the competition. Not conceding at home is crucial, but a win would bring us great confidence. It's not easy to manage a team that has two games a week, especially with the injuries and suspensions we've had, but we have to think game by game.''

Arsène Wenger, Arsenal manager
''Our main concern is to play the best we can. Sol Campbell is important because of his experience but I still don't know if he is going to play. We have a policy and if we believe in a young player, like [Nicklas] Bendtner, we stick with him until the end. Bendtner has a lot of potential, he has a lot to give. Porto are a very good team and have a good group of technical players.

I would compare Porto to ourselves; they have a good scouting team and make the right transfer decisions. The most important thing for us is to play our best and we expect Porto to have no weaknesses. We know about Hulk; he's a very good player but he is not the only good one Porto have. [Łukasz] Fabiański will play, I believe in him. He is at the top level and has a lot potential. The result is not easy to predict – you have to be on top for 180 minutes.''

Team news
Porto
Out: Ernesto Farías (knee), Cristián Rodríguez (thigh)
Doubtful: none
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: none

• Rúben Micael hurt his shoulder in the weekend draw at Leixões SC but Porto are hopeful he will be fit.

Arsenal
Out: Andrei Arshavin (hamstring), Kieran Gibbs (broken foot), Johan Djourou (knee), Robin van Persie (ankle), Eduardo (hamstring), Alex Song (knee), William Gallas (back), Manuel Almunia (finger)
Doubtful: none
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Gaël Clichy, Cesc Fàbregas, Robin van Persie

• Carlos Vela has travelled after overcoming a knee injury.

• Campbell is back in the Arsenal squad after signing in January and could take Gallas's place. His last UEFA Champions League appearance for the Gunners was in the 2006 final, when he opened the scoring in the 2-1 loss to FC Barcelona in Paris.

UEFA
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 8:05am On Feb 17, 2010
Arsenal should win this.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tkb417(m): 8:08am On Feb 17, 2010
BlueDiva:

Arsenal should win this.
in Portugal? e no fit happen

the best they can get is a draw even tho i know Porto will win 2-1
Arsenal to go thru tho
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by HNIC(m): 8:17am On Feb 17, 2010
I think the best Arsenal will get is a draw!
However, I will comment more,when I see the line up for the match!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tkb417(m): 9:02am On Feb 17, 2010
No Asharvin, Eduardo, Gallas, Song and Almunia shocked shocked shocked shocked

ure on ur own o cheesy
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tayoccu(m): 9:58am On Feb 17, 2010
commot for dia
my carling cup team will give porto a run for their money.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by elowa: 11:43am On Feb 17, 2010
tayo, you make me laugh in spanish
u guys shd just pray for a draw
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by allboyz(m): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2010
L'ars to win. . .

3 - 1

FAB4
B52
Sol
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tayoccu(m): 1:16pm On Feb 17, 2010
elowa:

tayo, you make me laugh in spanish
u guys shd just pray for a draw
do you want to wager?
Arsenal will be in the q-finals not porto
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2010
tkb417:

in Portugal? e no fit happen

the best they can get is a draw even tho i know Porto will win 2-1
Arsenal to go thru tho

With what i just read about their injury crisis,
They'd be lucky to leave with a 2 nil loss.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Myself2(m): 3:04pm On Feb 17, 2010
Hey peeps,daps and hugs y'all
Arsenal will rock 2nite
PO
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tayoccu(m): 3:43pm On Feb 17, 2010
BlueDiva:

With what i just read about their injury crisis,
They'd be lucky to leave with a 2 nil loss.

grandma concentrate on your game and stop beefing, remember Jose has never lost to any of his previous clubs
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by mykali(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2010
Porto in it to win it.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by allboyz(m): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
mykali:

Porto in it to win it.

maybe wit your PS3 if you have one. . . .

Go gooners 4 nil tongue
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by edoyad(m): 5:34pm On Feb 17, 2010
May the best man win.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by biolabee(m): 6:03pm On Feb 17, 2010
i hope we can take it but my major prayer this season is that cesc does not leave,
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by eddiebomba(m): 7:16pm On Feb 17, 2010
Men, this is gonna be a very difficult mssion with this latest injury crisis - no Song, Arshavin, Eduardo, gallas or almunia sad sad

But i'm confident in the squad we have 2nite; diaby playing this match, my mind dey kampe cool cool cool(he's never had a bad game in the CL, even when gunners lose); & the bench this season has been a lot stronger than past seasons

I still expect a good nite for my boiz sha, no shaking cool cool cool
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by eddiebomba(m): 7:30pm On Feb 17, 2010
3-1 to the Gunners
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by jalether(m): 8:09pm On Feb 17, 2010
eddiebomba:

Men, this is gonna be a very difficult mssion with this latest injury crisis - no Song, Arshavin, Eduardo, gallas or almunia sad sad

But i'm confident in the squad we have 2nite; diaby playing this match, my mind dey kampe cool cool cool(he's never had a bad game in the CL, even when gunners lose); & the bench this season has been a lot stronger than past seasons

I still expect a good nite for my boiz sha, no shaking cool cool cool

what difference does Eduardo n almunia make, they bring absolutely nothing to the team anyway
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by edoyad(m): 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2010
I have a feeling after this round that Wenger will be facing his old foe Mourinho in the quarters.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Sauron1: 8:57pm On Feb 17, 2010
PORTO SCORE!!!!

Clichy was sodomised again on the left. grin
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
goallllllll porto grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Gekko(m): 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
Christ sake!. is this a curse? that was an embarrassing spill.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by dayokanu(m): 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2010
PoOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by presido1: 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2010
Fabiansky is world class he should be benching alumina. His display tonite is spot on.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by presido1: 9:00pm On Feb 17, 2010
edoyad:

I have a feeling after this round that Wenger will be facing his old foe Mourinho in the quarters.
From this world class display by Febiansky and Clichy. U berra wake up from this slumber.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Sauron1: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2010
Campbell equalises.

What a HEADER!!!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2010
Goalllllllllll campbelllllllllllllllllllllll grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by akinalabi(m): 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2010
Important away goal. . .

That is if Clichy, Fabianski and co do not ship in 4 goals at the other end grin
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Dclique(m): 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2010
Rubbish!!!!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 17, 2010
great shot roscisky
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by v3: 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2010
d old warhorse scores.its lukn gd @ d momnt.Y on earth does wenger kip mannone on d bench?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Messi Wants To Play For Chelsea: Picture! / Chelsea Vs Wigan Athletic (2 - 1) On April 7th 2012 / Leicester City Vs Liverpool (1 - 3) On 2nd December 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.