Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases (12700 Views)

Naira Extends Gains As Dollar Glut Hits Market / Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists / Naira Falls As Dollar Scarcity Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Truth234(m): 7:04am On Aug 18, 2017
The naira is seen weakening against the United States dollar on the black market in the coming days as demand for the dollar increases.

Stakeholders and industry analysts, however, said the local unit was expected to trade within a range on the investor and exporters forex window and official interbank market.

The local currency weakened to 370 against the dollar on the black market on Thursday, compared with 364/dollar last Thursday, Reuters reported.

This came on the back of surging demand for the dollar by summer holidaymakers and parents paying school fees for their children abroad, forex traders said.

The naira was quoted at 362.39 to a dollar on the investor and exporters forex window on Thursday against 367.49 per dollar last week.

On the official interbank window, the local currency traded around 305.65 to a dollar.

The gain on the investor window was fuelled by increased dollar inflows from offshore fund managers investing in the domestic equity market, traders said.

Meanwhile, Kenya’s shilling is expected to strengthen with commercial banks selling off the greenback, and the Zambian kwacha is set to firm as companies convert forex ahead of month-end salary payments.

Kenya’s shilling will firm, helped by commercial banks selling off dollars, tight liquidity in money markets and political tensions easing after the opposition said it would challenge the August 8 presidential election results in court.

“I still think that it may firm. People are unwinding their long positions pre-elections and also due to money market liquidity,” a senior trader at one commercial bank told Reuters.

The shilling will also get a lift after opposition leader Raila Odinga said he would contest the election outcome in court, calming concerns that further street protests might bring widespread violence.

“That has eased tension. Players were a bit concerned about street protests, and now that is probably behind us,” the senior trader said.

The Zambian kwacha is likely to strengthen in the coming week, buoyed by hard currency conversions by companies preparing to pay salaries and other month-end dues.

Ghana’s cedi is seen firm next week on offshore portfolio inflows for the settlement of a five-year debt to be issued on Friday, according to an analyst.

“Investor confidence in the Ghanaian economy continues – we expect to see high offshore participation in this week’s bond sale and this will support the cedi,” analyst Joseph Amponsah of the Accra-based Dortis Research said.

http://investorsking.com/naira-weaken-dollar-demand-increases/

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by ghostdvirus(m): 7:24am On Aug 18, 2017
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Neduzze5(m): 7:24am On Aug 18, 2017
I have $100 on Iwriter and I was planning to withdraw on Tuesday.

Be like say I go wait small sha.

Lemme go and cancel Tuesday withdrawal fez an be looking cool
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by ghostdvirus(m): 7:25am On Aug 18, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:
C

¢ fσя ¢αт?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by ghostdvirus(m): 7:26am On Aug 18, 2017
Neduzze5:
K.
к fσя кєттℓє?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by feelgoodstuffs(m): 7:26am On Aug 18, 2017
The Rise and Fall of Naira season 2

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by KayDEAN(m): 7:27am On Aug 18, 2017
Goodbye alibaba
Adieu Amazon
Till we see again

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by lovingyouhun: 7:27am On Aug 18, 2017
OK oooooooo, with all the millions that have been pumped into the market?

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Neduzze5(m): 7:27am On Aug 18, 2017
ghostdvirus:

к fσя кєттℓє?

Modified cool

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by HAH: 7:29am On Aug 18, 2017
This is may be mainly due to Hajj and summer vacations
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by carpmam: 7:30am On Aug 18, 2017
Buharii body language at work, d naira want to maintain statuesque before d general comes bck

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by 9japrof(m): 7:31am On Aug 18, 2017
In as much as I know that the pumping of dollar into the system keeps naira stable to an extent, it still remains a cosmetic approach not a long term solution but its effects are felt and much better than the fuel subsidy.

In order note the level of debt this government is amassing is on alarming scale, just this year alone the government have sold over 7 trillion naira worth of Treasury bills on 18% ROI. Add the figures to the billions of dollars been sources from abroad and the billions been alledgedly recovered from looters and the trillions saved from the so called TSA and I wonder why no structures on ground to justify the mind boggling figures. The Nigeria of today is worse off than previous governments, no improvement in socio-conomic lifestyle of the average Nigeria.

Shame on those idiots here on nairaland that live in perpetual ignorance or choose to ignore what's transpiring in the nigerian space but would use their 100 naira data to defend failed leaders due to partisan politics and small handouts paid to them

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by 9japrof(m): 7:32am On Aug 18, 2017
HAH:
This is may be mainly due to Hajj and summer vacations

True so u mean the CBN needs to pump more than triple of what it was pumping in before to make sure supply outweighs demand

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 18, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

They should have never gave you n**as money!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by JoshMedia: 7:33am On Aug 18, 2017
This is really Bad
Nigeria government need to do something

Check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by maxiuc(m): 7:34am On Aug 18, 2017
Now how do Nigerians say out their minds

Since the planing to ban radio station which encourage such

APC we are watching

Am sure it is the corruption of pass administration that caused the scarcity

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Johnfavour(m): 7:34am On Aug 18, 2017
Those earning in dollars are the one behind this. Their juju is working. grin grin grin
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by itiswellandwell: 7:36am On Aug 18, 2017
Hmmmmm.. You dont just trust any link for news. Doubt the authenticity of this news.

Check my signature for your Customised ATM Card Flash drive ID CARD.
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:36am On Aug 18, 2017
Long awaited. Finally ooo.
Think it's time to dust my gtb card and get it to work again. grin
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 18, 2017
Ope ooooooo

Money money

5 Likes

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by GeneralOjukwu: 7:43am On Aug 18, 2017
Was thinking of converting my USD to Naira.

The moment I heard that Hajj was about to commence...decided to chill a bit grin

I won't celebrate my country's dwindling economy unlike some cr3tins up there.

A bad economy affects us all.... there has been a surge in kidnapping & money rituals.

I hope this is temporary.

2 Likes

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Nathan2016: 7:45am On Aug 18, 2017
The kind of dance we freelancers dance when we here of naira weakening grin grin grin grin

imagine making 3000 usd in a month...chai

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by JoshMedia: 7:49am On Aug 18, 2017
Neduzze5:

Lol

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by C4Ltd: 7:50am On Aug 18, 2017
mogbe and Nigerians are happier for it

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 18, 2017
N**igga calling Ni**as Ni**ggas.
BroZuma:

They should have never gave you n**as money!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 18, 2017
No be dollars dem dey take pay our salaries.
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by SeunFirstSon: 7:52am On Aug 18, 2017
Dollar dey demand increase again? embarassed
When naira go demand e own decrease? embarassed
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by feldido(m): 7:53am On Aug 18, 2017
Who still needs dollars when I can do with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies?

1 Like

Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by pointstores(m): 8:04am On Aug 18, 2017
nawa
Re: Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases by An2elect2(f): 8:08am On Aug 18, 2017
Neduzze5:

To convert at the bank or black market. Which will pay one more?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Possible For A Salary Earner Or Unemployed To Work From Home In Nigeria? / Meet 10 Silent Nigerian Billionaires You Probably Didn’t Know About / How I Made Over N1 Million Naira Monthly Sales On Dealdey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.