Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! (52252 Views)

The Secrets Of Mtn Night Plan / My Review Of The Tecno Phantom 6+ Nougat Update / 9mobile New Latest List Of Data Plans Subscription Codes & Prices 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by trigar12(m): 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Oxytocin:

MTN is pure scam, I stopped using it for browsing since they stopped their double data plan,where I get 3gb instead of 1.5gb for 1k.1.5gb can't even last me for more than 2 weeks ,if I'm seriously managing the data undecided.

I think airtel is the best now, I get 4.2gb for 1k and an extra 200mb every month;then I use Glo for downloading large files.
Bro pls walk me through how you get 4.2gig for 1k on Airtel. Na 1k for 3gb I dey do.
Pls help me with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:22pm On Aug 21, 2017
This op funny oh! Chai!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
I love your style of writing
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2017
This guy again....You use your mouth finish my beloved Barca now na empty-hen you face....ok kwantinu.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ponti93(m): 6:30pm On Aug 21, 2017
As far as i am concerned mtn has the best speed among other networks... That is why i still use them... Although they can chop data eh... I streamed yesterday's tottenham vs chelsea match on my modbro app... It took 500mb minus ht analysis... Bt the streamin was almost flawless... For me speed and quality over price.

On the other hand, ur writing style is good for blogging... Flawless.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by clemzo101(m): 6:32pm On Aug 21, 2017
As per quality, I give it to MTN, but too expensive to maintain, I subscribe to dere 1k subscription atleast 3x per month.....its really unfair, NCC need to come to our rescue.....as for GLO, my 1k data plan is still remaining as we speak, poor quality.....except u are in the city center don't even try GLO

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by lazborn(m): 6:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hook me up for mtn 1gb #600 2gb for 1.2k till nov..07038998428
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by PStacks(m): 6:37pm On Aug 21, 2017
Ksslib:
This is my honest review of Mtn data plans. I added an 's' because I have used almost all what they have to offer in terms of data across a very very long period of time but for the sake of this review, we are going to assume you want to want to subscribe to their popular 1.5gig monthly plan or like I suspect, already subscribed to it. Pls keep in mind that everything in this review applies to ALL their data plans. The only difference being price and amount of data, that's all.

Price:
For 1000naira, you'll be given 1,500 kilobytes that look like megabytes to the untrained eye, but brethrens, let ye not be deceived. If you're the type that likes to make something sound bigger than it actually is, you can call It 1.5gig. The plan lasts a month (in theory) and Mtn will allow you roll-over any un-used data if you're the type of person that can manage one cup of rice for 2months.

At first, 1.5gig for 1000naira might seem kinda fair from Mtn who, not too long ago, sold 10mb for the same amount it'll take to cater for a child who wants to study Medicine abroad. However, you'll begin to slowly chew back your words- one by one - the moment you begin to understand what happens behind the scenes. This plan will last a week with decent browsing. Yea, just decent browsing. Two weeks, if your level of stingyness is out of this world.

Verdict: This plan is a RIP-OFF for the price(as you'll later find out in this review). It is an overpriced scam. 1000naira can buy you 5 spaghetti. One thousand naira can get you a rubber of white garri if you can beg. My roommate sold his working standing for 1k. With 1k, you can get a used heart in cotonou that will pump atleast 3 cups of blood before failure. Should I continue?

Deduction rate:
The deduction formula Mtn uses to deduct data remains a mystery even to engineering students like myself. I have observed, observed, observed and carefully calculated, yet all my answers keep pointing towards one direction - the deduction is spontaneous. That is, the computer program(i like to call it "robot" ) assigned to carry out this task deducts data base on its mood at your time of browsing. 1mb for each Google page viewed(if Oga robot is in a good mood) or 200mb for an image of hushpuppi(if Oga just woke up from sleep).

I see no reason why how data is deducted should fluctuate. This is robbery, of the highest order. In Today's world where Internet data is beginning to carry the same wieght as food given how many business and lives depend on it, it is heartless, wicked & criminal to leave your customers at the mercy of melancholic robot who will deduct 300mb just because it didn't sleep well last night.

Verdict: Are you a magician? Are you fascinated with magic? Do you like sseing things dissappear? Things like animals, humans and of course, data? Mtn data plan is for you.

Webpages:
You ll think 1.5 gigabytes will be more than enough to surf the web since most of the Webpages you visit are kind of plain & light( like Nairaland ) and have little or no moving content unlike busy sites like skysports and xvideos where something is always guaranteed to be moving at any time of the day.

But as it turns out, viewing a simple, traditional Webpage sometimes takes as much as it would a YouTube video. Sometimes, more than. Other times, lesser than. But still not less enough to make you agree it's fair enough. I'll browse Nairaland sometimes and log out after 5-10mins and 100mb will be deducted. Sometimes, 60mb. Sometimes 80mb.

Offline Mode:
I think this is the most annoying part of being subscribed to any of Mtn's stupid data plan - they charge you for doing nothing. Absolutely, fffucking nothing. Between the hours of 12am and 2pm today, the deduced 80mb despite data connection being off. This has become a constant occurrence and I've learnt to channel energy I'll waste on complaining to customer care(as usual) to better use.

Verdict: With background data set on permanent restriction, data switched off, I wonder what steals data. Wait!! maybe, just maybe, my home button needs mb to take me from gallery to home screen.

Apps.

Twitter:

Twitter could - to a certain degree - qualify as a webpage since most of the activity there is text-based, save for funny memes and videos (which is optional to watch by the way), but the amount of data that constantly gets deducted for very little activity on this app is nothing to smile about.

I was charged an outrageous chunck of data few days ago by Oga robot for twitter activity that didn't last upto 7mins. Maybe it was because the joke I tweeted didn't get any retweets.

Facebook:
This one is for old people who don't know something like instagram exists. For stalking Amaka(your classmate) who refused to say yes to you in Nursery 2 has gotten pregnant for her street boy yet. Or for checking if the class olodo has managed to succeed in Life.... so I don't even bother with this app. However, considering it deals with lots of images and videos, I expect Mtn to use this as another avenue to make their already overweight bank account obese.

Instagram:
.... *ok calm down. ksslib breathe.. breatheeee**

I spent months in denial but I've finally accepted the bitter truth that Instagram is only for the rich. Atleast that's what Mtn wants me to believe. Watching funny videos, short comedy skits and smiling at images of Buhari's head swapped with various household items is only for the rich.

So expertly have Mtn perfected the art of deception and stealing that they would not deduct a questionable amount of data after my first, second, third and maybe fourth usage of Instagram after a fresh subscription. I'll just use Instagram at surface level (few videos, images) then log out and check my data balance, then smile at what I see.

This trick - as i later painfully discovered - is Mtn just trying to gain my trust, make me feel at home before allowing me to foolishly decide it's time to carelessly dive deeper into the unsteady, dangerous waters of Instagram videos.

If you're foolish enough like me to trust Mtn, the look on your face after checking your remaining data balance will quickly help you forget about that funny video you just saw on kraks TV. Abi you wan compare the effect of a message like "Dear customer, you have 66mb left of your current data bundle" to one video where all the people being interviewed on the street kept swearing they will not attend anybody's funeral that doesn't attend theirs. Lol

Verdict: Mtn says Instagram is not for poor people like me. We'll see what Etisalat, Airtel and others have to say.... minus Glo abeg. What's the use of having 100gig when I am only allowed to legally use 10mb due to poor service. Glo with pride indeed.

YouTube:
This is easily my favourite platform(clolsey followed by instagram) but it's a forbidden area for obvious reasons. YouTube is like stepping into the badlands.

Night plan is the only alternative here. Which means I am always awake at night browsing videos when my mates are in covoon hustling. And I also feel not getting enough sleep is too much a price to pay for thrills of YouTube but I am also not quick to forget I am Nigerian afterall, suffer is suppose to be my middle name. Therefore, Night plan it is.

Verdict: Know this: Using YouTube on Mtn's hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or whatever plan is tantamount to opening the flood gates of hell. You and your data will be flooded with fire and brimstone. For safety reasons, i dont even have the youtube app installed on my phone anymore because I might decide to want to watch a youtube video and later change my mind, but Oga robot will go ahead and deduct 300mb because apparently, the first law of data deduction states that "Habouring the thought of watching a YouTube video in your mind is the same as watching it".

Final verdict:
Mtn data plan is a big scam that anybody who knows the value of money - especially in this biting recession- should never subscribe to. This will be my last subscription. Even if all the angels of heaven descend and vouch for Mtn, I will never trust them. It's almost unbelievable that these corrupt piece of shameless thieves get away with this fuckery and daylight robbery...but wait! I almost forgot we are still in Nigeria.

The uncertainty, terror and suspense that comes with checking my remaining data balance every single f*cuking time - whether I surf the net or not - is too much for my young body to cope with. I am just 24 for God sake. I cannot be paying you one thousand naira almost every 4- 5days to give me high blood pressure and stroke.

Will I recommend this plan or any Mtn data plan?:
Yes, I will absolutely recommend this plan to anybody who will ask this question after reading everything.

I thank God for Airtel sha but not without my being edgy...

I buy 3gig for just 1k on the blackberry plan.

so I get 3gig plus additional 160mb for my BB10..

I put on the Mobile Hotspot on my BB and use my BB as a wireless moderm to browse on my data zapping bazooka Samsung Gt19152 duos...

anybody that knows that samsung knows it zaps data like crazy but believe me, my Airtel 3gig one month BB is sufficient for me 1 month.

I wonder how people use MTN..

they are the Biggest armed rubber ever to grace the surface of this earth..

MTN holds a gun to their subscribers head without the subscriber knowing it.

they are so criminal when the federal government fined them how many million dollars they had stollen enough they could cough out such huge funds in such short notice in one lump sum..

MTN Is freaking outrageously too expensive..

2 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Joshrob(m): 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2017
Oxytocin:

MTN is pure scam, I stopped using it for browsing since they stopped their double data plan,where I get 3gb instead of 1.5gb for 1k.1.5gb can't even last me for more than 2 weeks ,if I'm seriously managing the data undecided.

I think airtel is the best now, I get 4.2gb for 1k and an extra 200mb every month;then I use Glo for downloading large files.

How do you get the 4.2g for 1k from Airtel..pls tell me the code.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Gbengulo54: 6:43pm On Aug 21, 2017
ponti93:
As far as i am concerned mtn has the best speed among other networks... That is why i still use them... Although they can chop data eh... I streamed yesterday's tottenham vs chelsea match on my modbro app... It took 500mb minus ht analysis... Bt the streamin was almost flawless... For me speed and quality over price.

On the other hand, ur writing style is good for blogging... Flawless.
pls hw can i download dis modbro app pls
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Kiakia(m): 6:44pm On Aug 21, 2017
radiokilla:
I like the style of writing though. Adding humour to it is fun
I laugh tire. No be small thing. The dude must be a comedian.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by tugrow(m): 6:45pm On Aug 21, 2017
Chai, one mtn staff for my area dey cry say shame dey catch am, for wetin him see for Nairaland grin wink cheesy
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Abiodunstephen(m): 6:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
Rorachy:
I'm thinking of buying a glo sim, I hope its worth my #300.

i tried it but it was with slow motion and fast forward i used to prostrated to beg mtn to take me back as a prodigal son that have repented because the 1 month subscription was like i was looking for way to dash out 2500. my 4gigabite was completed without been able to use 0.1 bite for the whole one month
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by vivypretty(f): 6:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
[quote author=tzoracle post=59612866]this is how I do it I own 2 mtn SIMs subscribe 1 every week( 1gb pulse which is 500 naira) is that weekly plan.what is d code to subscribe
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by imma2(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2017
MTN are plain daylight robbers.

The latest they use in ripping their customers off is through validity days. When your data is exhausted and your validity days still remain, you will expect your validity days to be extended accordingly when you've just done a new subscription but Eron!!! They will instead give you a new validity date which is shorter than the one that's meant to be added to.

Well, I'm done with MTN for good. Useless network
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by rottennaija(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2017
Ksslib:

Will I recommend this plan or any Mtn data plan?:
Yes, I will absolutely recommend this plan to anybody who will ask this question after reading everything.

Op, I think you may have gotten it wrong on most of your point. That mtn or any network provider is a thief, I totally agree. But on data plans and charges, I don't totally agree.

I have been using mtn for the past years. I used to subscribe to airtel monthly plan, then saw their were zapping my data, I decided to switch to mtn.

I think a good rule of the thumb is to measure your data using your phone data usage application. With the service, you can set the period under review and also check which application uses your data the most.

Secondly, you should remember that you are using an android phone. Most applications you see or use, even when you restrict background data, still uses the network whenever they see it and besides, almost all applications we android users get are not paid for, so they must advertise and use your data.

Thirdly, I subscribe to mtn data from data resellers. Their data is quite cheap compared to mtn directly. I get 1.5G for N850, 5G for N2600

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by johnstar(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2017
MrCork:

^^^kaiiii see booooobsi...ok pliss can I mate wit u quick? cheesy

at ur age sense nor dey ur head

men dey reason better thing na woman matter dey ur head

ewu

oh i juz see ur mumu username nw

ride on
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Agrozone: 6:53pm On Aug 21, 2017
I get #550 for mtn1gb for here ooo,if na card/Vtu I go give you #600,my account number 0049618773 Gtbank , balogun Abdul Azeez
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by chloride6: 6:57pm On Aug 21, 2017
I don't really understand why Glo isn't prevailing on Tecno, Infinix and the likes to add the 4G 700mhz band.

This could be the game changer.

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by eminent007(m): 6:57pm On Aug 21, 2017
Rorachy:
Airtel own is even worse, the way the zap data eh.

Even my younger brother complained of it.

I beg to decline.
Airtel better dan dem all.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by chairman010: 7:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
finally people are now realising what Mtn is
I am very happy for that, I have not recharged my Mtn line for the last five months and will never recharge it again not to think of subscribing for whatever data plan from them.
bros op, welcome to the league of those that Mtn fuckkked up, you are not alone, we are in millions

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by donhils: 7:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
I'm sure you mistook Airtel for MTN cos all these shìts written down here only happen with Airtel, NOT MTN pls.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Funkybabee(f): 7:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
Oga MTN is better though they did something terrible for me then cuz they said night plan expire by 4am but na 3:30 I couldn't able to used it........
But come see stupid Glo mehn!!!!!!! may my sweat purnish them I couldn't able to browse on Saturday because of their useless network till my data expired yesterday morning..... And as we finished service yesterday and saw their mssg that my data done expired, see how my head dey turn red mehn I called their call center and flabagaster their head yesterday I cursed their life tired yesterday!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ModusOperandi(f): 7:03pm On Aug 21, 2017
i can totally relate. my N1000 subscription barely lasts a week, with serious managing o.

but i hear etisalat is worse, i feel so helpless cry
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Rolandken(m): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2017
This poster is one hilarious dude. Enjoyed the write up so much , laughing all the way whilst getting your message. Thumbs up.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Sheun001(m): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2017
angryop you talk true I swear 1.5gig no dey reach me 2days

2 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by rottennaija(m): 7:06pm On Aug 21, 2017
ModusOperandi:
i can totally relate. my N1000 subscription barely lasts a week, with serious managing o.

but i hear etisalat is worse, i feel so helpless cry

I think you may have the same problem the Op has. I recommend you check my response to him here.
rottennaija:

Op, I think you may have gotten it wrong on most of your point. That mtn or any network provider is a thief, I totally agree. But on data plans and charges, I don't totally agree.

I have been using mtn for the past years. I used to subscribe to airtel monthly plan, then saw their were zapping my data, I decided to switch to mtn.

I think a good rule of the thumb is to measure your data using your phone data usage application. With the service, you can set the period under review and also check which application uses your data the most.

Secondly, you should remember that you are using an android phone. Most applications you see or use, even when you restrict background data, still uses the network whenever they see it and besides, almost all applications we android users get are not paid for, so they must advertise and use your data.

Thirdly, I subscribe to mtn data from data resellers. Their data is quite cheap compared to mtn directly. I get 1.5G for N850, 5G for N2600

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Need Whatsapp For Asha 200 / Airtel Introduces The New Time Based Unlimited Data Plan For Every Device / Whatsapp For Nokia X2-02

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.