Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Router Configuration - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Router Configuration (2254 Views)

Thin Client Configuration ! / Anybody With Glo Internet Configuration Setting For Non-glo Modem / Cisco 2801 Router Configuration Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Router Configuration by lekinxyn(m): 10:51pm On Feb 11, 2007
pls i need explanation on how a router is configured
Re: Router Configuration by Cactus(m): 3:37am On Feb 12, 2007
The information you provided really helps.

You will need to provide the brand of the router LINKSYS, NETGEAR, BUFFALO etc
Though not necessary NAME OF YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER/TYPE OF SERVICE
(from my experience that information i will definitely require to have cos some ISP are crazy.)
your computer configuration eg OPERATING SYSTEM and WIRELESS CARD TYPE/BAND

then people can start to help though other questions may follow
Re: Router Configuration by lekinxyn(m): 7:34am On Feb 12, 2007
thanks , for ur contribution, but i would like the config of both cisco n linksys.
i would be very glad if anyone could help me out.
Re: Router Configuration by ChieFoH(m): 9:14pm On Feb 15, 2007
you have to specify, are u designing, administering, configuring or implementing a network, you might have to consult a network engineer, like me, because there are a million commands and things to configure based on the kind of network u are designing, i don't know a bout linksys but basically cisco routers come with the IOS software pre installed
Re: Router Configuration by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 28, 2007
Re: Router Configuration by udohzone(m): 12:41pm On Mar 16, 2007
all this una gist in the name of router configuration, hmmm! I am wondering who's selling and who's the buyer in this issue. I would advice the person who needs to have his router configured to go thru the manual, if it is linksys, and if it is CISCO, connect to their site and learn the sh*t,

Thanx
Re: Router Configuration by software(m): 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2007
@lekinxyn

You could go thru this site. Its gonna be of help in configuring the cisco router.

http://www.joshgentry.com/cisco/cisco.htm

Take care.
Re: Router Configuration by marlet01(m): 7:33pm On Mar 24, 2007
i've had alot of problems understanding that aspect cos i've tried even though online courses and so on but it has been so difficult.
Re: Router Configuration by uzomaeze(m): 9:00pm On Mar 24, 2007
please what is Router configuration lets start from the basics i mean for (IDIOTS grin not exactly any way) like me grin
Re: Router Configuration by sbucareer(f): 9:26pm On Mar 24, 2007

@uzomaeze

A router is a computer networking device that buffers and forwards data packets across an internetwork toward their destinations, through a process known as routing. Routing occurs at layer 3 (the Network layer e.g. IP) of the OSI seven-layer protocol stack.

In other words, OSI is like a process to get from the village to Lagos city. First you must be able to talk (communication) so people can understand you. You must have money to buy bus ticket. You must also have your destination address with you. You have to know your village address incase you need to return back because of problems i.e buses are on strike etc.

You must be able to read street numbers to locate you final destination. These process is called travelling (Routing) the vehicle (Router) is called bus. The bus (Router) is a very complex device like cars, the need petrol and service. Router needs configuration and repairs.

If you tell the bus to drop you to Abuja (Boarding the wrong bus), hence configuring the Router falsely it will not deliver your packets (Passengers in a bus).

I hope you understand this. The IEEE, which are the engineers that invent and define rules that govern electrical device came up with protocols. Protocols like it English meaning is communication in meaning.

Therefore, protocols for Router to communicate with another Router (Remember Router talks to only Router) is to use IP address which are unique in nature. These protocols are defined in the 7 OSI layer.

The first layer is binary signals i.e. one's and zero's.

These one's and zero's have amplitude, voltage and other electrical measures to differentiate one's from another one's. The Router must detect the amplitude and voltage of every binary and convert it back to the original word (decrypting) through the 7 OSI layer.

Like our analysis above, you MUST have a destination address and original address and body of message. In computer it is called package and the network card NIC split it into what is called frames and send it as a binary electrical signal over the copper wire as current.

Remember, there are current and when meet with another current it boost it power hence solving the attenuation problem. Older system uses repeater to solve this issue.

Let me give you and electrical example of how it really works.

Let say you want to send a letter to your girlfriend at Lagos and you live in Abuja. The content of the letter is:

I Love You.

You address is: 23 old road, Abuja
You girl's address is 1 Ikeja Road, Lagos

Now, Lagos originating telephone prefix number is 01 and Abuja, let say is 02.

Lets change your address and your girl address to digital

Yours: 23. 134. 2
Your girl's: 11.2.30

So, in telecommunication world to get to your telephone line at home would be

You: 01.23.134.2
Your girl: 02.11.2.30

Lets make a rule that each package would not exceed 20 bytes of data, thus we have the attached picture

Re: Router Configuration by sbucareer(f): 10:23pm On Mar 24, 2007

Now that data above could be in form of a binary using 32-bits i.e.

To learn more about binary visit [url=http://www.math.grinnell.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS152/97F/Readings/student-binary.html]binary[/url]

Binary are grouped into 4-bits i.e
1001 0011 1011 1000 1100 1100 1111 0001

But morden computers now uses 36-bits word-lenght.

Therefore to represent I for example could be 1001110000001111

I will finish this later I need to go now
Re: Router Configuration by uzomaeze(m): 11:11pm On Mar 24, 2007
@sbucarrer thanks man it helped a lot i hope to study it a bit and digest the stuff thanks once again wink
Re: Router Configuration by larryoncol(m): 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2007
I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST HOW A ROUTER SHOULD BE CONLFIGURED NOT HOW PACKETS TRANSVERSE A NETWORK, BASICALLY AM MORE OF INTO CISCO ROUTERS, CONFIGURING A ROUTER ISN'T QUITE LIKE A WHOLE DAYS JOB EXCEPT IT HAS DO DO WITH MORE THAN ONE ROUTER AND SWITCHES AND YOU THE NETEORK IS A COMPLEX ONE, BASICALLY WHAT YOU HAVE TO START WITH A IS THE SECURITY MEASURES WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT ON ANY LAYER THREE DEVICE,

1) CONSOLE PASSWORD
2) VTTY PASSWORD
3) AUXILLARY PASSWORD
4) SECRET PASSWORD (WHICH OVERWRITES THE PRIVILEGE PASSWORD WHEN SET)
5) PRIVILEGE PASSWORD
6) ACCESS-LIST
7) ENCRYPTING YOUR PASSWORD

NOW ON A CISCO ROUTER, THE FIRST THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOGIN THRU YOUR CONSOLE, THIS ENABLE YOU TO CONLFIGURE YOUR PASSWORDS FOR THE ROUTER AND SET AN IP INTERFACE WHICH ENABLE YOU TO LOG IN VIA TELNET. WHAT YOU ALSO HAVE TO FIND OUT IS HOW MANY INTERFACE (ETHERNET / SERIAL) YOU ROUTER HAS, HOW MANY NETWORK YOU WANT TO CREATE, WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF COMPUTERS THAT YOU WANT ON EACH NETWORK. ALL THIS MATTER ALOT BUT FIRST WE ARE GOING TO START WITH THE SECURING YOUR ROUTER.

when log in via console am sur you already know what a console cable is and how to conlfigure one using a pc or laptop.

now when logged in you get a prompt like this

>

if there was any default password you will have to know it in other for you to get to the privilege mode or you might have to perform a password recovery (am not going into that right now.

now this is what your promt will be like when logged in

ALL THESE ABOVE ARE SOME OF THE FEW TACTIS FOR SECURING YOUR NETWORK BUT

the fact is that i can't just give you command on how to configure your router becasue i would need like an architectural frame work of what you want your network to be like, so if you could do that then i might be able to help you, or if you can set the password for the vtty line i might be able to login via telnet and help you configure it, it doesn't matter where my location is all i need is a command prompt and the ip address of any of your directly connected interface. thanks

larry
Re: Router Configuration by larryoncol(m): 3:33pm On Mar 26, 2007
subcarrer:

very good explanation on packet transfer,
Re: Router Configuration by spora(m): 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2007
lekinxyn, You can mail me @ walediscovery@yahoo.com, I will give you an ebook "Cisco Router Configuration for Dummies" It explained everything you have to know about Router Configuration and it is comprehensively: more than 500 pages I think.
Re: Router Configuration by alanbolo(m): 4:28pm On Mar 28, 2007
@ lekinxyn,  hope yr questions are answered and if not, let it be known as to some of us may still have 1 -  2 configs steps  up our sleeves, however, the info requested by Cactus may still be required for a specific router config - IF NEED BE.
Re: Router Configuration by pentiumix: 7:48pm On Mar 30, 2007
Another easy way bro,is to get the multimedia training at our popular COMPUTER VILLAGE grin grin grin ;D5 cd's and you'll not only know how to configure a router but you'll know a lot about internetworking in general grin omo thank God for computer village ooo. cheesy

Plus guy, you need to practice ok?

(1) (Reply)

Learn PHP With Real Time Projects Download Sample Projects / How To Make Free Call On Computer To Mobile / Buy Clean London Use Mini Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.