Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,591 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal (5173 Views)

10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / Some Popular Grammatical Blunders. Every One Has Made At Least Two Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by opeyemitee(m): 7:58am On Aug 20, 2017
10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly, That Have Become Normal.

1.Trafficate/Trafficator -

The correct word is "Indicator", when it's on a vehicle. When you use your indicator, the verb is "to indicate". The word trafficate doesn't exist in English. Trafficator is an obsolete word, used to describe an obsolete device on the side of a motor vehicle.

2. Night Vigil -

A Vigil means a period of time when people remain quietly in a place at Night. So, really, there's no point adding Night to it when Vigils are known to mostly hold at Night. You may just want to call it a Vigil.

3. On/Off The Light -

There isn't much to say about this grammatical blunder apart from the fact that each time you make that statement, make sure you add Switch to it. For example; Switch On the light/Switch Off the light. Can be used with any other object that can go On or Off

4. Reverse Back -

Reverse already means; to change the direction, order, position, result, etc. of something to its opposite. So, if an object is in motion, it can be reversed. And when it is in reverse, it's surely coming back to it's initial position. No point adding Back to it.

5. Next Tomorrow -

Most Nigerians generally use "Next Tomorrow" when speaking English. Please, stop murdering the English Language. The correct thing to say is; Day After Tomorrow.

6. Cattle Rearer -

The word; Cattle Rearer does not exist in proper English dictionaries. Instead, you may say Cattle Herder. That's a more appropriate way of referring to people who raise/tend to cattle or other ruminant animals.

7. Convocate -

Convocate is an archaic English word which means to call together or assemble but Nigerians mostly use it when they're graduating from tertiary institutions. Proper word is Convoke.

8. Plate Number -

Most Nigerians including traffic law enforcement agents use the word Plate Number, which is very wrong. Number is supposed to come before Plate. So, basically, it is called Number Plate and not the other way round.

9. Barb/Barbing -

This is very common among Nigerian men. Barb or Barbing does exist in the English dictionary but it has nothing to do with haircuts. You can go have your haircut at the Barbershop but you cannot Barb your hair because Barb means; a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fish hook, or similar objects.

10. Short Knicker -

Knickers ordinarily mean loose-fitting 'short' trousers gathered in at the knees. The British call it Knickers while Americans call it Shorts.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by oldfoolnigger(m): 8:29am On Aug 20, 2017
Space
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 20, 2017
Na you sabi. I have been spoking englishes since our birthday.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by gr8cany: 9:21am On Aug 20, 2017
well done op
opeyemitee:

5. Next Tomorrow -

Most Nigerians generally use "Next Tomorrow" when speaking English. Please, stop murdering the English Language. The correct thing to say is; Day After Tomorrow.

simply say 'overmorrow'

3 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by gentlekeny(m): 11:14am On Aug 20, 2017
nice one.
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by gentlekeny(m): 11:24am On Aug 20, 2017
11. 1. “As at when due.” CORRECT ANSWER: as due or when due
12. “Female youths." CORRECT ANSWER: youths
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by flyca: 12:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
OP it's
"that has" and not "that have"

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by OgidiOlu3(m): 12:24pm On Aug 20, 2017
Should incase angry. It's either 'should' or 'incase'.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by farydah: 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2017
cont'd...... 'it doesn't worth it'..........chai this kills me ALL THE DAMN TIME!
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by vpaymoney(m): 1:03pm On Aug 20, 2017
flyca:
OP it's
"that has" and not "that have"
So op sef throw part of the bombs? Don't say am not correct o. Am not a grammarian.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by DisGuy: 1:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
this one is all over Nairaland and it irks me to the core!!!

the guy on blue shirt shocked
The guy in blue or the guy putting on blue shirt

Last three weeks.... instead of three weeks ago ....

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by NobleRomm(m): 1:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
[quote author=opeyemitee post=59646364

10. Short Knicker -

Knickers ordinarily mean loose-fitting 'short' trousers gathered in at the knees. The British call it Knickers while Americans call it Shorts.

[/quote] ....

nawa Ooo Nigeria own just tire me...

"the british call it knickers while Americans call it shorts ."
but we NIGERIAN call it SHORT KNICKERS.. we combine the two together

over sabi dey kill NIGERIAN

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
opeyemitee:

The correct word is "Indicator", when it's on a vehicle. When you use your indicator, the verb is "to indicate". The word trafficate doesn't exist in English. Trafficator is an obsolete word, used to describe an obsolete device on the side of a motor vehicle.

2. Night Vigil -

A Vigil means a period of time when people remain quietly in a place at Night. So, really, there's no point adding Night to it when Vigils are known to mostly hold at Night. You may just want to call it a Vigil.

3. On/Off The Light -

There isn't much to say about this grammatical blunder apart from the fact that each time you make that statement, make sure you add Switch to it. For example; Switch On the light/Switch Off the light. Can be used with any other object that can go On or Off

4. Reverse Back -

Reverse already means; to change the direction, order, position, result, etc. of something to its opposite. So, if an object is in motion, it can be reversed. And when it is in reverse, it's surely coming back to it's initial position. No point adding Back to it.

5. Next Tomorrow -

6. Cattle Rearer -

The word; Cattle Rearer does not exist in proper English dictionaries. Instead, you may say Cattle Herder. That's a more appropriate way of referring to people who raise/tend to cattle or other ruminant animals.

7. Convocate -

Convocate is an archaic English word which means to call together or assemble but Nigerians mostly use it when they're graduating from tertiary institutions. Proper word is Convoke.

8. Plate Number -

Most Nigerians including traffic law enforcement agents use the word Plate Number, which is very wrong. Number is supposed to come before Plate. So, basically, it is called Number Plate and not the other way round.

9. Barb/Barbing -

This is very common among Nigerian men. Barb or Barbing does exist in the English dictionary but it has nothing to do with haircuts. You can go have your haircut at the Barbershop but you cannot Barb your hair because Barb means; a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fish hook, or similar objects.

10. Short Knicker -

Correct. I have learnt something today

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by youngin(m): 6:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
Noted......all our half-baked students taught by half-baked lecturers will never know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by chukzyfcbb: 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2017
You have written well, however a little search on google shows that the word Trafficator is indeed correct!
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by opeyemitee(m): 7:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
flyca:
OP it's "that has" and not "that have"
You are wrong sir. Go through it again. ".... Blunders that have..." Not "that has..."

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by igraman(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2017
It irritates me whenever i heard someone use Barb instead of Cut.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by opeyemihendrix: 8:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
opeyemitee:

2. Night Vigil -

3. On/Off The Light -

4. Reverse Back -

5. Next Tomorrow -

6. Cattle Rearer -

7. Convocate -

8. Plate Number -

9. Barb/Barbing -

10. Short Knicker -

Ion know about others but the word 'barb' can also be a verb...
So When I say...'The barber barbered my hair', Its is 100% correct
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by iceboy4752(m): 10:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
Nice.
"Opportuned" is also another invalid word many Nigerians are fond of using.
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by Obudupikin: 10:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
''Still yet'' is wrong. You either use still or yet.

I will ''drop'' here; - wrong.
I will ''alight'' here; - correct.
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by MedicalSamwise(m): 11:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
RIPenglish and adaksbullet what do u guys have to say
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by RIPEnglish: 3:07am On Aug 21, 2017
MedicalSamwise:
RIPenglis.h and adaksb.ullet what do u guys have to say
The 0p too are talked rubbish grammar, BARB is a corrects in a dictionary if I am used it as an verb. See what i sawed below downward...

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by Topmaike007(m): 7:38am On Aug 21, 2017
how did dat wan concern me,is it my mothers tongue?
if it is igbo and yoruba i cant speak very well somebody can make jest of me.
it is time Nigeria need to realise dat english is a borrowed language just like french.dat z why i love india.
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by DisGuy: 8:10am On Aug 21, 2017
Topmaike007:
how did dat wan concern me,is it my mothers tongue?
if it is igbo and yoruba i cant speak very well somebody can make jest of me.
it is time Nigeria need to realise dat english is a borrowed language just like french.dat z why i love india.

It's time Nigerians accept corrections instead of seeing it as making jest. Learn and improve

if you're going to speak the borrowed lamhuage then speak it well. if you saying a word incorrectly in yoruba/igbo/hausa and someone corrects you accept it so
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by profmsboi(m): 8:25am On Aug 21, 2017
11. Corper(Wrong)
Corp Member(Correct)
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by adaksbullet: 9:24am On Aug 21, 2017
MedicalSamwise:
RIPenglish and adaksbullet what do u guys have to say
bus medecarsawmill are u whant too leanrt eglish lang from mine hand? smiley
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by FellepHq(m): 12:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
That's exactly the mistakes nigerian's make

DMeanwhile:

Get a website design service for only N5000 Click HERE to get this offer.
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by frankeencense(m): 3:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
adaksbullet:
bus medecarsawmill are u whant too leanrt eglish lang from mine hand? smiley

angry angry
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
I convoke last year grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Toorder Transcripts From OAU Using ETX-NG System / Primary School Female Teacher Twerks In The Classroom (Photos) / Free University Education In Finland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.