Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,909 members, 7,799,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire (42082 Views)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / Oguta Land In Imo State Is An Extension Of Benin Empire / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by pedestal82(m): 9:41pm On Aug 21, 2017
I am Uneme Anegbette in present day etsako central LGA.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by itemj2k(m): 9:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Sanchez01:
The narrative doesn't add up and it seems incomplete.

1. After the curse was revoked, did it in any way reunite the scattered Uneme houses even up to the ones in Awka?

2. Do other parts of Benin marry freely from the Unemes today? If no, then I doubt it is the event surrounding the narrative. Ideally, their acts of bravery and courage should be enough to make ladies turn their way and not claim they are cursed.

3. I understand every part and people claim marginalisation today, but even at that, are the Unemes considered for Royal roles, considering the fact that they are or royal lineage.

1. The revocation has stopped the further scattering of the tribe. 2. yes the unemes marry freely from benin and other neighbouring tribes. 3 the igun street where the famous bronze art works of benin kingdom is dotted with uneme desendants. infact they even have a palace chief, the obasogie ni igun ugboha.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Sanchez01: 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
lipsrsealed
itemj2k:
1. The revocation has stopped the further scattering of the tribe. 2. yes the unemes marry freely from benin and other neighbouring tribes. 3 the igun street where the famous bronze art works of benin kingdom is dotted with uneme desendants. infact they even have a palace chief, the obasogie ni igun ugboha.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying my questions.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by PresterJohn(m): 9:56pm On Aug 21, 2017
itemj2k:

so you actually believe the curse?
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

What period in history are we talking of? How many centuries before?

Benin & Yoruba are Niger-Congo/Kwa languages? Couldn't they have developed independently, perhaps with some similarity or closeness in original root word now lost?

I think the problem with finding the truth is "my mannliness is bigger than yours" tribal positions people take.
If that is the case, why is virtually every prominent Yoruba King now using the title "Oba" from Alafin to Ooni?

In the Conference of Western Region Kings held in Benin in the 1940s, only Oba of Benin used the title Oba, while others were Awujale, Ooni, Alafin, etc. Why are they all now officially using Oba title if it is meant to be lower traditionally? grin cheesy

At that time the King of Benin used 'Oba', keep in mind Ooni's subordinates, chiefs from Obalufe, Obalaaye, Obaloran, Obajio & other chiefs who were of lowest class all used Oba. Think about this for a minute.

It is ignorance on the path/part of these modern day kings & the media for peddling 'Oba' after the proper title of office has been stated -- E.g Ooni Ife, Oba Ogunwusi is a very stupid way to address a paramount ruler but hey the tradition moves with time.

7 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by headz(m): 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2017
Uneme girls are very Beautiful. Would like to behold the best of em
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 21, 2017
itiswellandwell:
Hmmmmm. Cursed in this jet age.

Check my signature for your quality customised Atm card flash drive and full capacity powerbank

Jet age ni jet age kor,
The rest of the world being in jet age
Dosnt mine nigeria is
We still in the 18th century
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by DWJOBScom(m): 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2017
thank you for sharing it is a beautiful piece of history
Benin is rich in culture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by einsteine(m): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
Ogbeni, uneme language is not even intelligible with yoruba. As someone who speaks both languages, I can assure you that the people of Akoko Edo are not kin to the akokos of onto state. It is just faulty nomenclature.

scholes0:
Post about Interesting festivals joor.

Like the Orumaval of Bekuma and Lampese that is very similar to the Oro festival that Yorubas celebrate in neighboring communities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6pwl8o1ho

Yes it is true. They are the most Marginalised section of Edo state, the Owans come a distant second. Both groups are supressed and starved of development.

They are seen as Yorubas in Edo state and to be honest a large portion of their ancestry is from Yorubaland. Hence, they are delibrately made to play second fiddle to the Etsakos (Auchi side) in Edo state.

The best option for them will be to agitate for their re-inclusion into the South West where they will be welcome with open arms, together with the rest of their Akoko brothers already there.
Imagine Akoko Edo are still managing one local government when their brothers in Ondo already have 4 whole local governments to themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:04pm On Aug 21, 2017
einsteine:
Ogbeni, uneme language is not even intelligible with yoruba. As someone who speaks both languages, I can assure you that the people of Akoko Edo are not kin to the akokos of onto state. It is just faulty nomenclature.

Don't mind all this illiterates on NAIRALAND
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
[s]
ObalufonIII:

At that time the King of Benin used 'Oba', keep in mind Ooni's subordinates, chiefs from Obalufe, Obalaaye, Obaloran, Obajio & other chiefs who were of lowest class all used Oba. Think about this for a minute.

It is ignorance on the path/part of these modern day kings & the media for peddling 'Oba' after the proper title of office has been stated -- E.g Ooni Ife, Oba Ogunwusi is a very stupid way to address a paramount ruler but hey the tradition moves with time.
[/s]

YOU ARE TALKING NONSENSE!!
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by yacimpaul(m): 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
God bless this article..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by sybarite7(m): 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
A lot of you have been curious about the curse placed on the Uneme people be rest assured the curse has Long been Revoked by Oba Akenzua II . Here is a piece about what really went down in 1370 AD. Enjoy!!

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/15713/NI
OP,CORRECT ME IF AM WRONG
IS IT OBA 'EGBEKA' OR 'EWEKA'?
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:26pm On Aug 21, 2017
sybarite7:

OP,CORRECT ME IF AM WRONG
IS IT OBA 'EGBEKA' OR 'EWEKA'?

It is Egbeka
.... Oba Eweka was another Distinguished Oba entirely
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Dunno...... Maybe you should say nothing if your brain is currently Loading ......
all of u people of Edo including Oba of Benin are living in a stone age. That is why Edo state is very backward. I'll advise u to come out of darkness
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:47pm On Aug 21, 2017
[[s]quote author=GrandFinale2017 post=59703550] all of u people of Edo including Oba of Benin are living in a stone age. That is why Edo state is very backward. I'll advise u to come out of darkness[/quote]
[/s]
Stop bieng stupid ...... Tell us the name of your village!!?
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 22, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s]quote author=GrandFinale2017 post=59703550] all of u people of Edo including Oba of Benin are living in a stone age. That is why Edo state is very backward. I'll advise u to come out of darkness
[/s]
Stop bieng stupid ...... Tell us the name of your village!!?
akwa ibom and we are more advanced than Edo in all aspect.
Edo was civilized and born and bred from the Yorubas

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by paradigmshift(m): 12:17am On Aug 22, 2017
kn23h:

Comment from a tadpole no dey offend a lion cheesy

thank God u agreed is impotent.
gerarrahere we know ur type.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by fatiaforreal: 12:19am On Aug 22, 2017
scholes0:
In the entire history of Ijebu Ode right from the time of Obanta who founded the town, up till now, there has never been any Oba (Awujale) who went by the name Ogiebo.
Besides, I doubt there was anytime in history Ijebu Ode was ever known as Igbo Orunmila.

Itegboje is probably referring to another town completely.
They're are very good at fabricating history. They can tell you Obama Trump family migrated from Bini and their original name was Turumpagha grin grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:20am On Aug 22, 2017
paradigmshift:

thank God u agreed is impotent.
gerarrahere we know ur type.

Not only know we also can smell their type......

Jealousy has a very nasty odour grin grin..... Like the one on that akwa ibom houseboy above
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by akosy(m): 12:27am On Aug 22, 2017
My parents Neva told me diz sad
Fanx to diz article I can now research further into my origin
Proudly Uneme-Ekpedo cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:29am On Aug 22, 2017
akosy:
My parents Neva told me diz sad
Fanx to diz article I can now research further into my origin
Proudly Uneme-Ekpedo cool

I am glad it helped you
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by akosy(m): 12:31am On Aug 22, 2017
Buh I doubt if am cursed wink
As for d beauty fin, e dey our blood male or female grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Dindondin(m): 12:32am On Aug 22, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Must you yorubers cry over everything angry

It was even started in that Article the origin of the Uneme people ... They are Edo's who descended from Edo's!

Where did you see Yoruba origin there?? angry

They have no connection to yoruberr watsover

Damn you people really have Inferiority complex
You could v answered scholes0 maturely without insulting Yorubas. You said they v inferiority complex.

The man only questioned where he saw Igbo Orunmila as present day Ijebu-Ode. And truly, no Awujale bears Ogiedo
Anyways, just wait as Ijebus will use Benins to shine shoe in few days.
They are among the Yorubas with the sharpest tongue, alongside Ibadans

5 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by akosy(m): 12:33am On Aug 22, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

I am glad it helped you
KingOvoramwen1:

I am glad it helped you
A big fank u Bro. At least I have somefin to tell my children.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by armyofone(m): 12:36am On Aug 22, 2017
grin just imagine the sacrifices that entails today's eclipse if not for Science. Africa/Africans refused to do away with such belief.

ivolt:
grin grin grin

Whatever becomes too complex for a common man, he blames on "spirits".
There is no such thing as cursed or blessed people but there are people
who make effort to be successful and became successful and there are
those who don't, then we say life happened.

1 Like

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by ezanafe(m): 12:38am On Aug 22, 2017
The OP is just clearly saying by my observation of his write up that the Uneme kindred is now justified & other neighboring communities can marry their daughters. Simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:49am On Aug 22, 2017
ezanafe:
The OP is just clearly saying by my observation of his write up that the Uneme kindred is now justified & other neighboring communities can marry their daughters. Simple.

Yes
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:51am On Aug 22, 2017
Dindondin:

You could v answered scholes0 maturely without insulting Yorubas. You said they v inferiority complex.

The man only questioned where he saw Igbo Orunmila as present day Ijebu-Ode. And truly, no Awujale bears Ogiedo
Anyways, just wait as Ijebus will use Benins to shine shoe in few days.
They are among the Yorubas with the sharpest tongue, alongside Ibadans

I dey wait them..... Before there was Ijebu there were Edo's!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by babasolution: 12:55am On Aug 22, 2017
aigjoey:
You do not expect us to be calm when we are threatened. The unemhe are very peaceful people. Ogori is too small for u to defeat. Take note of that

ogori will exterminate ekpedo in warfare,ekpedo is too poor to withstand ogori

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Father Mbaka, Mr Ibu, Osuofia Meet With Sultan Of Sokoto & Others In Enugu. PICS / 5 Stunning Royal Palaces In Nigeria (pics) / Ooni Of Ife Arrives Awka In Grand Style For Obiano Inauguration- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.