Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU (18238 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Killings: FG Warns Parents Against Sending Their Children To Cyprus / How Federal Universities Are Covering Up Corruption And Sexual Harassment-SERAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by sinkhole: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2017
fk001:
I know a handful number of lecturers that send their children abroad, some are even members of your so called Assu.

Greedy people everywhere
You'e right somehow o, because all academic staff, by default, is a member of ASUU! The VC and all the Profs will be part of ASUU and most of them are actually corrupt and on the side of government. When you hear ASUU shouting you can be rest assured that it is the Senior Lecturers and below that are shouting cheesy
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by JuneOctober(f): 8:01am On Aug 23, 2017
bablogee:
I BELIEVE WHAT THE MAN WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS THAT AVERAGE NIGERIAN PARENTS COULD NOT AFFORD TO SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES. WHERE AS, THE GENUINELY RICH FEW, THE CORRUPT ONES(SOME CIVIL SERVANT AND SOME POLITICIANS) COULD EASILY DO. PAINFULLY, THESE SET OF PEOPLE ARE THE DECISION MAKERS IN NIGERIA TODAY AND SO FAR THEIR WARDS ARE NOT ATTENDING PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES THEY WILL NEVER GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ASUU. MIND YOU THE MAN WAS SPECIFIC, HE SAID "CORRUPT CIVIL SERVANTS "

I reason along. They send their children abroad and waste the life of the others in federal universities. Imagine their kids also went to a federal university, will they watch them strike away their lives? I for one thinks that No Nigerian politician should send his or her kiddo broad to study. They should all be sent to federal schools so that they can feel the stings that the average Nigerian parent feels when they seat down and keep dragging issues like what I don't understand undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by abashi47(m): 8:04am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:
Can you imagine a Nigerian lecturer saying something so foolish. He thinks everyone would be like him, spending money on booze and slay queens rather than investing in his children.

If you have parents who are both level 17 teachers of either Lagos or most importantly Ogun state you should be able to conveniently send one of your kids to a private university at a time(of course that is if you spaced your kids birth by a period of 4yrs at least)

I had colleagues back in school whose parents were civil servants also who took loans to send their kids to private universities and then refinanced it with their salaries. What about those whose parents financed their education with gratuity from State or Federal government. This loose tongue of a lecturer just casted aspersions on them all.

This so called ''Dr'' can't tell me he receives nothing less than 400,000 a month, yet he claims his mate sending their kids to a Crawford university of less than 400,000 per annum must be stealing. Oga u better plan your life.
what is this man saying

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 23, 2017
0b100100111:

Hello!

What's up there is a bitter truth!

A permanent secretary, ordinarily can not afford a standard private university not to talk of a reputable foreign one.

We re Nigerians and all know how it goes. Stealing has never been corruption in Nigeria.

A civil servant that can afford 800k for just one of his kid is a thief! Though few might be excluded. Very few!
don't mind these kinds that know nothing. I have said it before until there is a law that madates wards of politicians and by extension civil servants to study in public institutions our educational system will remain unsustainable. The funny thing is students o public institution that think what this man has said will realise it in a short time. I was at some interview some years back and 95 percent of the applicants were from private universities and some foreign. He said it, our parents served them, we are serving and still they want our children to serve them too.

4 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 23, 2017
mykel25:

Pls don't be myopic

My mum was a teacher when she sponsored two children in private university....sensible people have multiple source of income.... She has access to loans easily as a civil servant... So don't say few! If my mum can do it then many can do it! My mum remain my role model

Maybe you should tell us those sources of income. As for loans, how were they repaid

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Bitchiamjay(m): 8:05am On Aug 23, 2017
Poverty is a disease indeed undecided

#YOLO
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 23, 2017
rezy15:
Funny how Nigerians pounce on only one detail that may not be entirely true and ignore every other thing that he said that is fact. Federal universities are dying fast. Very soon there will be nothing left for majority of Nigerians to attend. Its not only abt the future of universities we should be worried about but our children unborn. A lecturer receiving peanuts when waec and catarrh filled politicians gulp millions of taxpayers money on luxuries. [b]I pity Nigerian university students. Your lives are only going to get worse. [/b]Why always wait for ASUU to strike on your behalf over poor learning conditions?
when they graduate, they will understand the man's point.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 23, 2017
sinkhole:
Well, I understand your point but that Dr. may actually not be collecting up to that #400k you quoted since he is still answering Dr. then he is not a Prof. yet though he may be Ass. Prof. in which case his salary may be close to #400k, but if he is just a Senior Lecturer then he is definitely not earning up to #400K unless he overstretched himself by doing a lot of visiting activities and mind you most of his earnings may also be used to finance his researches!
Lol we are talking about a prominent ASUU member in UI.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by abashi47(m): 8:07am On Aug 23, 2017
well most people in Nigeria cannot afford education in d private universities... though assu might b making demands to fill in them pockets
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by otokx(m): 8:09am On Aug 23, 2017
Truth is bitter; ASUU is right with this theory.

Civil servants struggle to send their children through public universities.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 23, 2017
mykel25:

Pls don't be myopic

My mum was a teacher when she sponsored two children in private university....sensible people have multiple source of income.... She has access to loans easily as a civil servant... So don't say few! If my mum can do it then many can do it! My mum remain my role model
re read the post and understand

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 23, 2017
JuneOctober:

I reason along. They send their children abroad and waste the life of the others in federal universities. Imagine their kids also went to a federal university, will they watch them strike away their lives? I for one thinks that No Nigerian politician should send his or her kiddo broad to study. They should all be sent to federal schools so that they can feel the stings that the average Nigerian parent feels when they seat down and keep dragging issues like what I don't understand undecided undecided
exactly. This is the only way to get many infrastructure fixed in Nigeria. Same with healthcare.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by wildchild02: 8:13am On Aug 23, 2017
Na lie, some took loans from cooperatives

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Claumy2(m): 8:14am On Aug 23, 2017
The truth has been spoken. Just that a lot of parents trained their children in a corrupt way hence the children when grown can hardly accept that their parents are corrupt.

Meanwhile, what's the problem with the government fixing the so called government owned school? Is it not a way to ensure that the private schools which they are shareholders keeps milking people dry?

These Nigerian politicians (and some parents) have possessed the entire Nigeria with their criminality, atrocities and corruption to the point that most Nigerian youths now see corruption as a normal way of life.

If the children of all the ministers, senators, governors, present and past presidents, special advisers etc are schooling in the Nigerian Universities, do we mean that they will sit down; allow dilapidated structures, in-equipped laboratories, unpaid salaries and arrears and ASUU embarking on strikes?

I am sure Nigeria habours crime, criminality, corruption in an unimaginable height...

What a country!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 23, 2017
okerekeikpo:
Pls don't insult my parents, so as I graduated from a private university here in London my parents are corrupt? Pls be careful

Is this sarcasm
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by holluphemydavid(m): 8:17am On Aug 23, 2017
crying of baby tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 23, 2017
0b100100111:

Teacher shocked shocked shocked

For 4years she was sponsoring 2 wards on loan in a private university?

It's Okay!
My own parents too were teachers in Ogun and Lagos(their salary put together was about 600k) and were able to sponsor my stay in CU through 'corporatives'. Bro it is just about planning.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by poseidon12: 8:18am On Aug 23, 2017
okerekeikpo:
Pls don't insult my parents, so as I graduated from a private university here in London my parents are corrupt? Pls be careful

You may not see your parents as corrupt of course because they are your parents. Find out how much they are paid in salary as civil servants. Deduct estimated family expenses. Then see how much is left for them to be able to send you to London without them engaging in corrupt activities.
Salaries are very low in Nigeria. Most salary earners in Nigeria have to engage in corrupt activities to survive.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by poseidon12: 8:21am On Aug 23, 2017
badmrkt:
How about politicians sending their wards abroad for education? What do we call them?

They are corrupt too of course. But that would apply to politicians who are not business people. Some wealthy business people are also politicians and can afford to send their kids abroad.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by salesforce: 8:26am On Aug 23, 2017
Arh
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Lisaint(m): 8:28am On Aug 23, 2017
faceURfront:
After reading some comments here and several other comments in different fora, I realised we have a serious problem

1. The only person that speaks for ASUU are national officials, especially the National President. Any other person talking is expressing his personal opinion.

2. There is so much ignorance in this country.
And the most annoying thing is people make conclusive statements without any facts. Imagine somebody here saying the Dr earns nothing less than 400k per month. Well let that fellow know that you can have a PhD and still earn below 150k (which is an improved pay package as a result of several strikes someone called useless). Pay is dependent on rank not academic qualification. Yes academic qualification is a major factor in rank determination, depending on mode of entry into the system and some discipline, a PhD holder can earn less than 150k and a non PhD holder can earn way above 150k.

3. Before you go calling ASUU strikes useless, please note that ALL ETF projects you see on our university campuses are results of ASUU struggles. When was the last time you saw any new project in any university that is not an ETF project? From lecture halls to offices, labs to ICT centres, libraries to sports facilities and school clinics. Imagine if ASUU folded her hands and kept mute, public universities would have long gone extinct and let's see how many people can send their children to private universities...on how much that workers are being paid in this sorry country? Which brings me to the issue of civil servants sending their children to private universities.

4. Besides high ranking civil servants, majority of civil servants earn less than 150k per month. And we are talking about the Federal level. State civil servants earn less. But let's even assume a civil servant earns 300k per month. He has to feed, transport, pay for medical care, fuel his car(s), take care of family members every now and then ( remember we are in africa) fuel his generator and save some to either pay his annual rent, or save towards building his house or payoff loans he took to build his house or buy a car. Which money will he use in sending his children to private universities? Remember if he has just a child in the universities, most likely others are in the secondary school where fees are already sky rocketing. I can confidently say a civil servant who sends his children to private universities must be making money besides his salary, and given the level of corruption in this country, the probability that he is stealing that money is high.

God bless you for this comment

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by poseidon12: 8:29am On Aug 23, 2017
faceURfront:
After reading some comments here and several other comments in different fora, I realised we have a serious problem

1. The only person that speaks for ASUU are national officials, especially the National President. Any other person talking is expressing his personal opinion.

2. There is so much ignorance in this country.
And the most annoying thing is people make conclusive statements without any facts. Imagine somebody here saying the Dr earns nothing less than 400k per month. Well let that fellow know that you can have a PhD and still earn below 150k (which is an improved pay package as a result of several strikes someone called useless). Pay is dependent on rank not academic qualification. Yes academic qualification is a major factor in rank determination, depending on mode of entry into the system and some discipline, a PhD holder can earn less than 150k and a non PhD holder can earn way above 150k.

3. Before you go calling ASUU strikes useless, please note that ALL ETF projects you see on our university campuses are results of ASUU struggles. When was the last time you saw any new project in any university that is not an ETF project? From lecture halls to offices, labs to ICT centres, libraries to sports facilities and school clinics. Imagine if ASUU folded her hands and kept mute, public universities would have long gone extinct and let's see how many people can send their children to private universities...on how much that workers are being paid in this sorry country? Which brings me to the issue of civil servants sending their children to private universities.

4. Besides high ranking civil servants, majority of civil servants earn less than 150k per month. And we are talking about the Federal level. State civil servants earn less. But let's even assume a civil servant earns 300k per month. He has to feed, transport, pay for medical care, fuel his car(s), take care of family members every now and then ( remember we are in africa) fuel his generator and save some to either pay his annual rent, or save towards building his house or payoff loans he took to build his house or buy a car. Which money will he use in sending his children to private universities? Remember if he has just a child in the universities, most likely others are in the secondary school where fees are already sky rocketing. I can confidently say a civil servant who sends his children to private universities must be making money besides his salary, and given the level of corruption in this country, the probability that he is stealing that money is high.

One of the very few intelligent posts here. To be frank, it would be almost impossible to survive in Nigeria, financially, without engaging in corrupt activities. I can understand that most of the posters would not want to see their beloved parents as corrupt. But they are, unfortunately.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 23, 2017
It baffles me when Nigerians cannot comprehend a simple post. If you check well, the structures that don't work well in Nigeria are those Nigerians created alternatives to themselves but when one looks at it thoroughly it's a case of enriching the ruling class in the midst of this decadence. I ll give 3 instances.
1. Our Educational Institutions: We started with overseas travelling as alternative, then the rise of private universities. The man just said there are 200 private universities waiting to be licensed. It's not like the quality of education in these private university is even world class. Pls don't get me wrong, I am not against private universities. What happens in the end. These private institutions pay tax. Isn't it good business for a government that perhaps care less.
2. Our electricity and power system: we had Generators as alternatives. So the government makes money from import quota's and tax paid by companies that sell generators. More fuel consumption, more levies on fuel imported, plus subsidy. Do you see reasons why our refineries were defunct.
3. Health care: same as educational system.
So, how can a poor man leave his poverty state. Is this really sustainable??

4 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by RegalD(m): 8:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has noted that civil servants who send their children to Nigeria’s private universities are corrupt.

ASUU chairman, University of Ibadan chapter, Dr Deji Omole, who spoke in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital on Sunday pointed out that civil servant with children in private universities in Nigeria must be stealing.

The ASUU chairman spoke when he received a delegation of labour movement led by the Chairman NLC Oyo State, Waheed Olojede who paid a solidarity visit to ASUU in UI on the ongoing strike.

He said, “It is unfortunate that we have to go on strike again, for as long as we continue have bandits in government, we shall continue to struggle. It is sad that in Nigeria that we pay lip service to public education.

“They do not want us to have functional education so that they can continue to exploit us. Our presidents will first visit international communities for endorsement after their election and come back. The only problem they have is ASUU.

“There are about 200 applicants for private universities that they want to give license.

“They had wanted to sell public universities to themselves but ASUU resisted. How many of us can legitimately send our children to private universities?

lalasticlala thevictorious
I think this person's view is rather myopic. But somehow there might be a truth to what he is saying.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by OBIGS(m): 8:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Rubbish. So my parents that have business outside civil service are corrupt. So they shud have depend solely from income/peanut from civil service. Brain damage dey worry you
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by RegalD(m): 8:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has noted that civil servants who send their children to Nigeria’s private universities are corrupt.

ASUU chairman, University of Ibadan chapter, Dr Deji Omole, who spoke in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital on Sunday pointed out that civil servant with children in private universities in Nigeria must be stealing.

The ASUU chairman spoke when he received a delegation of labour movement led by the Chairman NLC Oyo State, Waheed Olojede who paid a solidarity visit to ASUU in UI on the ongoing strike.

He said, “It is unfortunate that we have to go on strike again, for as long as we continue have bandits in government, we shall continue to struggle. It is sad that in Nigeria that we pay lip service to public education.

“They do not want us to have functional education so that they can continue to exploit us. Our presidents will first visit international communities for endorsement after their election and come back. The only problem they have is ASUU.

“There are about 200 applicants for private universities that they want to give license.

“They had wanted to sell public universities to themselves but ASUU resisted. How many of us can legitimately send our children to private universities?

“Our parents have served them, we are serving them now and they are already planning so that our children will serve them.

“The ruling class are united against the masses. All these ethnic jingoists are being sponsored by those who have lost out of the equation.

“Where is the place of the masses in the restructuring? Our oppressors are united. God loves the poor, he created them more than the rich, and it is left to the poor to use their size to chase away oppressors.”

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/21/civil-servants-sending-children-private-universities-corrupt-ASUU/

I think a law should be enacted stating that anyone in Govt. Office should not have his/her child schooling abroad or in a private institution here at home; this will make them more serious about developing the education of this country and also cause an end to all this incessant strike

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by sinkhole: 8:33am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol we are talking about a prominent ASUU member in UI.
prominent ASUU members are usually in the opposition at the Universities and to be a prominent ASUU member you don't need to be a Prof., you don't even need to be a PhD holder all you need is to be a University academic staff. It is just like being a Nigerian President, you don not need to be highly educated but highly educated people are usually preferred!
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by rhames(m): 8:34am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:

“Our parents have served them, we are serving them now and they are already planning so that our children will serve them.

“The ruling class are united against the masses. All these ethnic jingoists are being sponsored by those who have lost out of the equation.

“Where is the place of the masses in the restructuring? Our oppressors are united. God loves the poor, he created them more than the rich, and it is left to the poor to use their size to chase away oppressors.”

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/21/civil-servants-sending-children-private-universities-corrupt-ASUU/

Just three questions:

1. How can I send my child to a university whose standard has fallen to the extent that the cut off mark for federal university entrance examinations JAMB 1s 180 or less than 200?

2. What standard obtains when that child graduates from the university?

3. Which employer will consider employing half baked graduates?
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by omokab: 8:35am On Aug 23, 2017
Statsocial:
Can you imagine a Nigerian lecturer saying something so foolish. He thinks everyone would be like him, spending money on booze and slay queens rather than investing in his children.

This so called ''Dr'' can't tell me he receives nothing less than 400,000 a month, yet he claims his mate sending their kids to a Crawford university of less than 400,000 per annum must be stealing. Oga u better plan your life.
you can say what you want but the man is saying bitter truth. Where did you see 400k for a doctor? Director in federal civil service earn 400k not to talk of state. And, do you know numbers of responsibility surrounding that earning with numbers of children? So consider a civil servant with four children at private higher institution of paying at least 400k.
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by NoToPile: 8:38am On Aug 23, 2017
Wait oo

A Dr earning 400k in a public university grin grin grin its like that poster doesn't know they do have ranks sha..

Abeg its too early to laugh.

It seems people feel lecturers earn that much , in real sense they don't.

@ topic salaries alone of a lot of lecturers can't fund a child in a lot of private universities, what helps is side businesses, joint effort by parents, and very importantly the cooperative associations that exist in universities, it even helps non academic staff that's how a lot of university workers build houses even the clerks, drivers and co.

Cooperatives help those people a lot.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by kcbrens: 8:39am On Aug 23, 2017
He's saying because his children can be granted admission without sitting for aptitude test,he's has also benefited from the corruption........if himself and his ASUU colleagues makes selection into varsities fair to all,many will want public varsities, or is it the incessant strikes and when govt bribes them,they give in and keep shut......EFCC should probe this guy....he's the number one corrupted guy representing our universities.....
Re: Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU by poseidon12: 8:42am On Aug 23, 2017
TheVictorious:

My friend, even as at 200 thousand salary (it can't be as low as this!), the tuition of an average private school in Nigeria is 600k "per year"; so try to reconcile that.

And you think 200k per month is enough to send kids to private universities? Have you deducted his tax, house rent, food (which would take make up the bulk of the expenses), transportation for him and family, health care, taking care of extended family, clothes, building house in the village, etc? That 200k might not even go far for most families. And the average Nigerian family is typically large.
Most Nigerians do not depend entirely on their salaries. If one does, the person will die in penury. We are generally corrupt, from the President down to the least person on the employment ladder. The ASUU guy is right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Download LAUTECH Post Utme Past Questions Here For Free. / Students Stage #EndAsuuStrike #BlackFridayWalk Today In Lagos / Yahaya Bello Offers Fatima Bombom Sani, Best Law Graduate 33m, Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.