Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

JAMB REDUCED CUT OFF MARKS MAY LOWER EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS...SEE WHY.. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB REDUCED CUT OFF MARKS MAY LOWER EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS...SEE WHY.. (680 Views)

The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / JAMB: How Cut-off Marks Were Fixed – Registrar / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

JAMB REDUCED CUT OFF MARKS MAY LOWER EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS...SEE WHY.. by Desmorise(m): 12:00am On Aug 25, 2017
It is no news that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) under the leadership of the Professor Oloyede had declared a reduction in the prerequisite score for admission into Nigerian Universities from the usual 180 and 200 which is 45% and 50% for state and federal universities respectively to an abysmal 100 and 120 which is 25% and 30% for polytechnics, monotechnics e.t.c and Universities respectively.

It is important to note that the so called reduction in the score required for applying for tertiary education is widely criticized than commended by various scholars, groups and organizations.

Personally I think the new development remains a setback to the Nigeria’s educational system. Because it compels the admitting institutions to keep the doors open to various people with relatively embarrassing grades. Especially as regards professional courses.

Although the policy will increase access to education to a large number of people, however the Tertiary educational institutions will be overtaken by some unserious minded students who may not have education as their goal.

It allows students to relent on studying Hard for JAMB examination as even with 120/400 they stand the chance of getting admitted.

It engenders corruption in the admission process as admission officers now can collect bribes and issue out admission with or without merit.

On the international scene, I align myself with the argument of Afe Babalola SAN that certain countries have been questioning the degrees issued in Nigeria, what then would now happen if they get wind of the new poor requirement for admission in Nigeria.

Sadly there is no job for even up to 70% of the current graduates, when more half-baked graduates are injected into labour market without job of course we all know the consequences, increase in crime rate.

This policy can be interpreted as a ploy to dupe unsuspecting people of their hard earned money because the truth is that there would be more applications by students in excess which the Universities know they will not admit after collecting money for Post ume.

The new policy favours quantity rather than quality of education given

RECOMMENDATIONS

I want to urge the leadership of JAMB and Nigeria’s Education Minister to take a second look at the policy and order a review.

I recommend that rather than lowering the scores, payment for JAMB examinations should be scrapped so that a lot of indigent students can have access to admission and educational opportunities and make good use of it.

I also recommend that the status quo be maintained in the sense of 180 and 200 respectively which is 45% and 50% because currently pass grade which is anything less than 45% had been scrapped in the Universities system it represents failure therefore it is pointless admitting students on that basis or with anything less talkless of 25% pass mark.

I also recommend that the NUC and JAMB should work together to ensure accreditation of the programmes in universities so that JAMBites could be admitted therein.

The Federal Government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari should be swift in knocking down eccentric policies such as this and fixing moribund infrastructures in the tertiary institutions across the country in order not to attract ill will of the masses.

Thank you and God bless you.

Comrade Desmond Orisewezie.
(The People's Favorite Comrade)

Re: JAMB REDUCED CUT OFF MARKS MAY LOWER EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS...SEE WHY.. by lordabili(m): 9:04pm On Aug 25, 2017
Desmond our presido!well said. This latest development will do more harm than good to our already dwindling educational system.

1 Like

Re: JAMB REDUCED CUT OFF MARKS MAY LOWER EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS...SEE WHY.. by Desmorise(m): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2017
lordabili:
Desmond our presido!well said. This latest development will do more harm than good to our already dwindling educational system.
Yeah

(1) (Reply)

FUNAAB Admission Portal Is The Worst In Nigeria / National Teachers Institute (nti) Tablet For Sale In Osogbo / FUTO Post-utme Screening Result 2017/2018 Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.