Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission (21609 Views)

Polls: VCs, ASUU Disagree As FG Shuts Universities / ASUU Strike: Committee Of VCs Recommend ₦800,000 For Profs, To Resolve Deadlock / IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by mechanics(m): 9:38am On Aug 25, 2017
The VC of Christopher university has said it all.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by don4real18(m): 9:41am On Aug 25, 2017
Pavore9:
For me, anyone scoring 120 has no business with University education because he/she is yet to grasp the fundamentals.
What of people who cheated during the UME results?
What of people who are rich enough to bribe their way into the institutions gate?
What fundamentals are you talking about when some people where fortunate enough to attend the best secondary schools (in terms of knowledge impact) while the others went to schools where teachers are lackadaisical
The truth is education is flawed in this part of the world and increasing or decreasing cutoffs won't change that except we adopt a new method to impact knowledge
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by onyxo76(m): 9:42am On Aug 25, 2017
How did they even arrive at such a low score? So to get 120 ,you simply need to score 30% in your 4 subjects and you're good to go? That is really bad. I wonder what grades such students will have after their first year at school, most of them will be withdrawn for poor CGPA, that is a fact.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 9:43am On Aug 25, 2017
godwinony:

Guy no be lie the guy talk na.. When I got admitted in uniport in 2012, I did so through high scores in both jamb and post utme. Was shocked to later see the scores of some northerners in the school.. Made me realize we aren't on an even playing field in this country.

We're talking of changing the way things are run and you're here telling us about your Jamb score. Do you believe that a person can select the right answer in JAMB without actually knowing what the question is all about?

No matter what playing field you're talking about, if a UK student is made to sit for this same JAMB, I doubt if he would score the 120.

The way exams are set in this country is quite absurd and nothing but sheer madness.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Lacoolmley: 9:48am On Aug 25, 2017
Hmm....how can such an important decision about tertiary education be taken without the input of key stakeholders? Na waa o!
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by pink67(f): 9:51am On Aug 25, 2017
what do you expect?? with a minister of education whose name is Adamu Adamu
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Psoul(m): 9:56am On Aug 25, 2017
Giving admission based on 25% mark. What do these ppl planed doing to the already dying education standard. Then if 25% can give u admission, then 25% will also be able to graduate u.

Nigeria Ntorrr.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by godwinony(m): 10:07am On Aug 25, 2017
modsfucker:

We're talking of changing the way things are run and you're here telling us about your Jamb score. Do you believe that a person can select the right answer in JAMB without actually knowing what the question is all about?

No matter what playing field you're talking about, if a UK student is made to sit for this same JAMB, I doubt if he would score the 120.

The way exams are set in this country is quite absurd and nothing but sheer madness.
If you actually read through the replies and mentions you would've noticed that the jamb score illustration was to emphasize different rules for different folks.
On the issue of exam being tough/hard or however you portray it, do you expect it to be any easier or straightforward considering the number of applicants jostling for limited spaces in the institution? It is same in every facet of life. The more competitive, the harder it is to attain. Serious people have been passing exams and will continue to.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by PHILipu1(m): 10:14am On Aug 25, 2017
Franco93:
There is really no reasonable person in this administration, everything is allowable. I can't wait for 2019 to send these cabal back to their home town
With your region 5% votes?
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by segend(m): 10:16am On Aug 25, 2017
godwinony:

Guy no be lie the guy talk na.. When I got admitted in uniport in 2012, I did so through high scores in both jamb and post utme. Was shocked to later see the scores of some northerners in the school.. Made me realize we aren't on an even playing field in this country.

Quota system is to make education available to the disadvantaged, similar to affirmative action for minorities in America. There are claims that Obama entered Harvard through affirmative action (I dont know how true it is).
Quota system has its good and bad side, but, i understand how you feel though.

2 Likes

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by hAlexandro(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2017
Degradement of the educational sector imagine!!! Am sure they don't have to read for jamb again 120 really ridiculous
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by holuwajobar(m): 10:23am On Aug 25, 2017
samx4real:
If JAMB like let them reduce their cut off Mark to

What I know Is that my children must be
footballers.
what if ur children don't have d talent nko.. dah it is oly dy knw, wah will u do?

maybe they will play fr kano pillars

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 10:25am On Aug 25, 2017
godwinony:

If you actually read through the replies and mentions you would've noticed that the jamb score illustration was to emphasize different rules for different folks.
On the issue of exam being tough/hard or however you portray it, do you expect it to be any easier or straightforward considering the number of applicants jostling for limited spaces in the institution? It is same in every facet of life. The more competitive, the harder it is to attain. Serious people have been passing exams and will continue to.

your comment is still ethnically motivated

Let me ask you this questions.

1. Do you think if you ask a white man to sit for this same UTME exam he would score the 180 points?

2. BEtween those white people and us, who make better use of the education by putting it into practice?

Note: I have studied in a flexible system where students have the liberty to chose a date they want to write their exams and all theories carry only 30% while practicals and continuous assessment carry 70
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by godwinony(m): 10:41am On Aug 25, 2017
modsfucker:

your comment is still ethnically motivated

Let me ask you this questions.

1. Do you think if you ask a white man to sit for this same UTME exam he would score the 180 points?

2. BEtween those white people and us, who make better use of the education by putting it into practice?

Note: I have studied in a flexible system where students have the liberty to chose a date they want to write their exams and all theories carry only 30% while practicals and continuous assessment carry 70
Ethnically motivated? When a department that required a 54% cut off mark actually admitted 4 northerners with scores ranging from 40-45% while a friend of mine with 52% wasn't given a look in that year.. Ethnically motivated? Not saying the truth is what is killing us in this country.
You made mention of the white man and having studied in their "flexible" system. Now tell me this. Are the whites so overpopulated like us that their kids fall over themselves to apply for a few admission slots in their inadequate schools like us?
Answer is no. They aren't overpopulated like us and their schools are adequate, therefore there is no need for them to sit for our "hard" utme which was made so in order to trim down applicants.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 10:59am On Aug 25, 2017
godwinony:

Ethnically motivated? When a department that required a 54% cut off mark actually admitted 4 northerners with scores ranging from 40-45% while a friend of mine with 52% wasn't given a look in that year.. Ethnically motivated? Not saying the truth is what is killing us in this country.

You made mention of the white man and having studied in their "flexible" system. Now tell me this, are the whites so overpopulated like us that their kids fall over themselves to apply for a few admission slots in their inadequate schools like us? Answer is no.

They aren't overpopulated like us and their schools are adequate, therefore there is no need for them to sit for our "hard" utme which was made so in order to trim down applicants.

I believe Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa but certainly not the most populous in the world.

India, for example, has a population of 1.324billion which is 7 times that of Nigeria. But Nigerians do go to that country for studies without any God-forsaken JAMB score and excel in their studies. India has a literacy level of 74.04% with all its population while Nigeria has only 59.6 %.

Forget about North/South divide, talk about how every Nigerian will have access to quality education, I think that's the most important thing. The system would naturally weed out those that cannot cope and they would ultimately drop out not because they are incapable, but because they're better off with other things than school.

Note: Majority of the famous people in the world are dropouts, including the owner of Nairaland, Seun
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by enemyofprogress: 11:04am On Aug 25, 2017
Even at 120 people like ajepako,funjosh,mukina2,rokiatu,vickyrotex,
Lalasticlala and fabfunmi won't get admission grin
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by jumper524(m): 11:07am On Aug 25, 2017
eyeview:
The truth is that since most states in the south started complaining against high cut off marks for their indigenes while their northen counterparts get very low cut offs for the same course and school, jamb instead of raising the uniform cut off to a level that will make the north work a bit harder, they in the spirit of tribal sentiments lowered the cut off to the 'northern standard' even when they know it will destroy our already deteoriating educational standard.
The day we stop doing favoritism towards the north who have refused to catch up with the south and start doing things by merit is the day we'll start moving forward as a nation
ur very stvpid most of ur great lecturers graduated from the north Abu Zaria and pls don't compare our universities with ur cultism and bribery infested institution bloody coward...
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by richiewrites(m): 11:21am On Aug 25, 2017
��

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Egghead4real: 11:28am On Aug 25, 2017
JAMB can not please the parents/guardians or the students by reducing the cut-off point. Note a dunce when forced to learn and eventually graduates by force may be hazardous to the society. Let our Students sit up after missing the admission criteria. Anything below normal (average) is abnormal.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by oyewolestephen(m): 11:43am On Aug 25, 2017
Gaining admission into high institution with a shabby mark of 120 out of 400 is too bad this will really corrupt the prestigious reputation for such institution. I did mine 4times and the least mark I had was 158.but the story change when I ask my self this question are the questions set from outer space? if yes are my colleagues not passing it? why is mine different? then I decided to fully prepare for it by reading and studying crazily. student should always learn to academically work harder whenever they are preparing for examination

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
Many will buy PUTME form, sit for the exam but b denied of admission. My advice for dos Dat scored below 180/200 is either to go for polytechnics or re -write Jamb
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by DELYSNEH01: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2017
bad suggestion ,,on jamb cut off reduction
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by FriendNG: 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2017
mrNEMZY:

He is not being tribal, he is just stating fact. If you like go and check how Students are admitted even in federal government colleges and see how low the cut off mark is for the north

Don't get me wrong though, all am trying to say is that they should level the playing field so that best brains are produced

He is not only being tribal but also a pathetic liar + you that is supporting his lies. Please provide proofs of your claims. Shameless liars.

No northerner is admitted into any university with less than standard Jamb score of 180.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by ataide: 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2017
authority2006:
However, the Vice-Chancellor of the Christopher University, Ogun State, Prof. Friday Ndubuisi, said the new admission benchmark would have no negative implication on the quality of education. He said, “This is not an imposition. The cut-off mark is a minimum benchmark for admission. This idea of taking the UTME every year without getting admission is worrying. About 1.6 million candidates sat for the examination this year and about 500,000 will beadmitted mostly because of the cut-off mark. Most universities will not go below 200, but with five credits obtained in two sittings, a person should be qualified for admission. This is, however, not an imposition. Universities still get to decide on whom to admit through the post-UTME.’’
Y wunt he se so, wen its a private University
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by arinzos(m): 1:31pm On Aug 25, 2017
120 marks is only for eligibility to sit for postume.what if those with low marks now score high in postume,atleast enough to secure admission into a particular course/department.during my time 2015,i was not qualified to write postume with 234 marks,its that painful.but i thank God it was lifted and i still gained admission into that same pharmacy.let them sit for postume and weed out those not qualified.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by alex81(m): 1:47pm On Aug 25, 2017
Chidonc:

no offense sire, you are the one with a tribal sentiment here, as long as this system of quota education continues Nigeria wont move forward, let everything be on merit. no need of lowering cut off mark to favor some region, when the bench mark is higher, the competition becomes stiffer and the competitors train more harder. let room be created for the best.

is the reduced cut off mark of 120 only for the northerners?

cc:
mrNEMZY
godwinony
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Chidonc(m): 2:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
alex81:

cc: mrNEMZY godwinony
is for the region scoring 250 and above.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Divinerose(f): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2017
to be sincere, the standard of nigeria education is falling day by day just like her currency. How can one dt score 30% (below F9 grade) in jamb come close 2 any of d university or polytechnic gate not to talk of writing the sch post exam. What the government should do to help in such case is to build more vocational schools so that those who school below 150 will be given option in the vocational area.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by godwinony(m): 2:51pm On Aug 25, 2017
alex81:

cc:
mrNEMZY
godwinony
For all I think..
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by KingMicky3286: 3:37pm On Aug 25, 2017
We dont even need any JAMB in Nigeria. Other countries dont punish their studenta these way.

Nigeria is using education as an avenue to fraud the masses .

You will be suprise one day to see ASUU Chairman and Buhari Drinking with one glass in few weeks now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kadpoly Sacks Danjuma Alhassan Over Sexual Harassment / JAMB 2014/2015 Admission Status To Be Available Online Next Week / How Can Someone Recover His Lost Certificates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.