Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million (5486 Views)

First Bank Wins Best Mobile Banking App And Fastest Growing Retail Bank Awards / Keystone Bank Introduces ‘Zero Data’ Mobile Banking App / Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 25, 2017
The Managing Director of Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), Mr. Adesonubi Adebisi, has stated that Nigeria has recorded growth in mobile banking, compared to some African countries. He spoke at the Fintech Summit 2017, where he analysed the data of the Fintech industry in the past few years and admitted that mobile users in Nigeria are now about 29 million.

He said: ‘’Internet banking is slowing down; mobile banking is growing and USSD is also growing while ATM usage remains stagnant in the past three years. Now, consumers engage more with the mobile world because it is fast and convenient, card transaction/POS is also growing while cheque transaction remains stagnant.’’

He noted that the larger value transactions are reducing while the smaller value transactions are increasing every time because customers are able to engage themselves with mobile banking which increases in bank transactions. The NIBSS boss added that the numbers of bank customers are not increasing but numbers of bank accounts are increasing.

According to him, in the capital market, the number of registered shareholders is approximately 2.1 million while 838,674 could only be identified and 433,164 are the unique individual in the capital market. This, according to him, is a result of the integration of the BVN to customers’ account in order to monitor real time payments.

Earlier, the Chief Executive of Kantar TNS, Mr. Aggrey Maposa stated that despite the late commencement of the nation’s financial technology sub sector of the economy, it has, in the last three to four years, grown by over 90percent. Maposa also disclosed that there are over 400 Fintech organisations in Nigeria currently working with Africa Fintech organisation.

According to him, the global consumer and marketing Strategy Company organised the summit in response to the evolution and growth of the global internet of things, (IoT), to discuss the future of financial Technology in the country.

The summit tagged: “Payment of Tomorrow and Changing Consumer”, brought together Financial Technology experts and leading business executive to discuss the Fintech Industry in Nigeria with a view to positioning the industry, players and the consumers for tomorrow.

Maposa explained that the world has changed and Fintech is taking over and changing the financial activities of the consumers.

He said: “Fintech has come to stay, it is not a fashion because it is based on real need for change” he noted that the Nigeria Fintech industry is coming a bit late, but the industry in Nigeria is still doing so well and in just about three to four years of introduction, “we have recorded a growth of 90% and this is to show we are coming up”, he said.

Over the years, FINTECH (E-nnovation) engagement spanned across many sectors, which include the E commerce, Property Rentals, Customer Loyalty and awareness programme. However, Nigeria is still predominantly using cash over cashless transactions with 80% of transactions record being in cash and 20% cashless, compared to other countries.
Also speaking on the theme, Chief Strategy and transformation officer at Kantar, Mr. Jonathan Chocquel Mangan said that realising opportunities for growth requires unique consumer focus and insight.

“We must understand the consumer’s need at each point in time so as to meet those needs. In order to get your customer to drop their suppliers and choose you, you need to get insight on what they need’’ he said, emphasising that the where, what and how to get insight to consumer experience is very important.

He noted that bank transactions in the country are predominantly offline compared to Ghana and Kenya but more generally, Nigeria consumers are very mobile centric. In Nigeria, cash is still the king but ATM, Mobile Banking are closing the gap very quickly.

Focusing his presentation on “Mobile Opportunities in Nigeria”, the CEO Kantar Africa, Mr. Charles Foster explained that mobile research is no longer the future in Africa rather it is here now. According to him, half of the mobile are already Smartphones in Nigeria not far from US.

He maintained that mobile research can do more than face to face research in collecting data. He also predicted that by year 2020, 730 million growth in mobile subscribers would be achieved and this is possible by knowing what consumer needs.

Responding to questions on whether Fintech is sustainable, Project Director, Africa Fintech Founding, Mr. Victor Okigbo said that Fintech is not a fade, it has come to stay and there can only be more innovations to it.
The interactive session established that the rate of Fintech growth in Nigeria compared to Kenya and South Africa is still behind. This was however attributed to security lapses.

On the challenge of digital payment, Maposa admitted that cyber security remains a problem globally. He added: “There are lot of security measures Fintech has in place beyond what the consumer knows, the only way is to educate the people that they are secured, he explained adding that Fintech and financial institution need to have strong back-end so as to monitor any suspicious financial activities.”

He explained that Fintech doesn’t take away jobs, rather it redefines financial operations. “Jobs are changing faster, so people need to change and it is necessary to acquire more skills to be relevant,’’ he said.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/mobile-banking-grows-as-phone-users-hit-29-million/

1 Like

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by froz(m): 7:09am On Aug 26, 2017
we go soon print money from phone to buy goods soon.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by saxby(f): 8:31am On Aug 26, 2017
The world is getting more global
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by kogbaski99: 8:53am On Aug 26, 2017
That's Good news for internet providers

1 Like

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 27, 2017
Huge
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by rodeo0070(m): 8:25am On Aug 27, 2017
Great insights.

Internet banking is going down and mobile is rising...
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by ovieokodhi(m): 9:00am On Aug 27, 2017
I am still waiting for the day I will make cash withdrawal directly from my phone or just order my phone to use money from my account to cook for me then I will respect technology.

3 Likes

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Franco93: 9:00am On Aug 27, 2017
Online Banking is too good, but the executives of AU should remove charges and taxation attached when sending money to countries of AU just like EU is doing.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by tlopez82: 9:00am On Aug 27, 2017
Meaning more illegal deductions by my bank!
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by danla44(m): 9:02am On Aug 27, 2017
Impresive.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Afonjashapmouth: 9:03am On Aug 27, 2017
Start making money from follow to likes and comments online, its real, its legit, its paying. instantnaira
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by heykims(m): 9:05am On Aug 27, 2017
Not bad
Something baffles me
Is there need printing currency notes much again?
Computer gurus should be able to generate money now, abi?
Now, what is wealth?
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by kittykollinxx(m): 9:07am On Aug 27, 2017
the population of mobile phone users would someday equal to the population of humans. argue with your ancestors
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by lonelydora: 9:10am On Aug 27, 2017
Okay
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 27, 2017
Good.. Don't know what I would have done without mobile banking.

Visit www.entmirror.com for all your business ideas.. smiley
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by slayking(m): 9:16am On Aug 27, 2017
Good news for e commerce.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by dapyd1(m): 9:17am On Aug 27, 2017
Banks need, just like our telcos, need to upgrade their level of service.
They are all concerned about quantity. Quality is also, if not more, important.

The level of service to us is still poor. I admit it has improved over the years though.

From banking halls to atms, POS to Internet banking please upgrade your services.

USSD services are quite reliable though, at least for me.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Badboiz(m): 10:29am On Aug 27, 2017
ovieokodhi:
I am still waiting for the day I will make cash withdrawal directly from my phone or just order my phone to use money from my account to cook for me then I will respect technology.

100 years, E no go happen

1 Like

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by originally(m): 10:48am On Aug 27, 2017
Rise in ponzi schemes effect

1 Like

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by dingbang(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2017
First bank cuatomers should click my link to activate their mobile banking...
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2017
Online sportbets is making the increase in mobile banking.
Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by paranorman(m): 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
Good.

Cheques can't go away quickly as big money needs to move around atimes. Old chaps won't let it go.

ATM? not surprising as people still need to move around with cash.

Internet banking? It's expensive, kind of. Why would I want use Internet when I can dial *737# without data or internet?! grin (I that song! ) Security concerns too. USSD is safer.

Consumer psychology is one of the factors responsible for ithe increase of smaller transaction. People only want to withdraw what they need - frugality. People don't carry much cash again. Wíth the advent of POS, cash transaction are made on the fly. E-commerce sites takes some of the glory here too. Besides, a greater percentage of the Nigerian population lives below the poverty line, so it's no rocket science that the 'smaller transaction' factor is expected to jet on. Recession is another things self.

I still feel that utility is undermaximized in the services rendered by banks via the ATM services.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Banking Grows As Phone Users Hit 29 Million by freemile2ru: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
saxby:
The world is getting more global
padin?

(1) (Reply)

CSCS Records N4.9bn Profit, Pays 70 Kobo Dividend / Soft Drinks Business - How Does One Becomes A Sub-dealer/agent? / How To Write A Business Plan - Step By Step Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.