Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? (12107 Views)

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? / 3d Animators Corner / To All 3d Animators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by wilsonhaze(m): 2:25am On Dec 18, 2005
i want to create a team of animators, we'll do a cartoon project something entertaining or educative, or we could do animated 3d music videos, i can do the 3d, i need someone who's good in concept thinking, and any 3d modellers too,.,,,,,

pls if there's anybody else that has a suggestion as to what it takes can advice me before i start grin
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 11:33am On Dec 18, 2005
ok.

I am a 3D modeller. I use 3D max.

We did 1 minute 3D rendition of d movie "Sango"
and sent to mainframe but it was truned down..sayin there was no market for such. I was surprised shocked

Nigerians don't want to reinvent the wheel so my advice to you is gather enough ca$h and launch yourself out.

Its a big money spinner abroad. U can do 3 minute 3D musical video which would take 2 weeks to complete for N500K
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by Whitelady1(f): 11:50am On Dec 18, 2005
But layi, i thought i read in one of ur post that you are a doctor?
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 12:03pm On Dec 18, 2005
I am a medical student but music and computers is my passion. U can't tell what i can do on da comp. Moreover i'm not parochial. I don't think i only have to concentrate on medicine alone. I am a man of many coats. I manage my time well. When i'm less busy (during weekends), u can also find me in the recording studios (questionmark or neosonic).

I am doing medicine in school while doing computers and music as a vocation.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by demmy(m): 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2005
I'm in man. lets do this.

I feel you Layi. Iam a jack of all trade too grin.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2005
layi you are my man anytime any day, i just wish me and you would hop up and just talk, am having a hard time letting my folks now that been a Jake of all trade is not bad, and for now you are my model,lol, well sha just like you am in heaven in front of a system, am learning video editing now, and this year 3d with max. hope we can get to work in the future together, and my guy, the 3d guy, am creative if you need i got concepts, so if you need that count me in.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by Seun(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2005
I'd love to help you manage and promote your project. Thanks to Nairaland, I consider myself as being in the media business and I think your project falls under media. We can create a great animated work and make money out of it. I can bring the perspective of someone who gets the job done without any corporate sponsorship.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 1:05pm On Dec 20, 2005
I can use vector/3D max to do a 3D film. I've got the neccessary machines (3 high speed P4 systems..2.5GHZ with full multimedia).
If we could get a good concept/script and ready market. Work starts. I'm talking wit some1 who's got links wit disney but it doesnt look too sure.
Its time consuming. we can complete the project in 3 months (working as a team). But we need some1 who's interested in bankrolling the project or buying the completed product.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by goodguy(m): 3:11pm On Dec 20, 2005
I wish I could join/help embarassed
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by demmy(m): 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2005
well lets get started. where's wilsonhaze?
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2005
It will all be futile without a definite biz plan.

At least 2Mnaira is needed to create the job...something like "toy story". I can bankrol this ONLY if there is someone to buy the completed project for 10M.
I said 2M if we are going to work from scratch with 4 peeps workin 50hrs weekly for 3 months. We might exceed 2M if we have to buy modelled characters from www.3d02.com OR www.3-d-models.com. That might reduce the duration of the project to 2 months. It takes that long because of the rendering process. A 4 minute scene could take up to a day to render.

Team mates, see how u come in but most of all financing because it useless completing the project with additional finance for marketing and promotion or at least someone to buy it off.

Alternatively, If we can get 4-5Millnaira for marketing and promotion then work starts. Note that there is no competition and consequently no struture on ground to tap into. We need to market d product extensively so as not to loose out to pirates.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by smartsoft(m): 1:54am On Dec 22, 2005
Well guys i got some script you can work on that will fetch money in nigeria, and abroad just like a movie but it's some ideas that no one as brought out in this entier generation, as far as i'm concern and i have make some research on the stuff.. so if you guys agree to work well i'm here and i'm going to talk to BOb TV about it.. hit me back, it going to be first of his kind.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 9:27pm On Dec 22, 2005
Count me in. Buzz me when u r through with Bob tv.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by wilsonhaze(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2005
since someof u are interested in this project i think it might work, first of all, we have to know what kind of animation we want to do, then the next thing to do is get a website were we can upload our works into it, we will have to divide the work into sections like, modelling, environments, animators, concepts, etc. that's how it was done in one site i used to work with before "seawars.info", they too wanted to do an animation movie. so whatever u are good in, please let me know so u can contribute to it, this project wont cost much, the only problem is where to sell it but thats a latter thought, but i think whatever we are doing it should have something to do with africa

and those interseted in it should please reply this message.
thanks.
wilson
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 12:56pm On Dec 23, 2005
I am with u wilsonhaze but i have to disagree here.

this project wont cost much, the only problem is where to sell it but thats a latter thought,

It will cost much. It will cost TIME and time is a valuable and limited resource that can be monitized as well.
Therefore we need to get a buyer or interested in picking d bills first. Of course we could show them samples.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by smartsoft(m): 12:49pm On Dec 24, 2005
Well when you guyz are ready Let me know..
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by DeepThough: 7:29am On Dec 25, 2005
wilsonhaze et al,

Compliments,
I'm interested in exploring the idea of animations primarily as a cheaper alternative to actually making movies and this thread caught my interest. However, I'm amazed at the costs being projected.

layi:

It will all be futile without a definite biz plan.

At least 2Mnaira is needed to create the job...something like "toy story". I can bankrol this ONLY if there is someone to buy the completed project for 10M.
I said 2M if we are going to work from scratch with 4 peeps workin 50hrs weekly for 3 months. We might exceed 2M if we have to buy modelled characters from www.3d02.com OR www.3-d-models.com. That might reduce the duration of the project to 2 months. It takes that long because of the rendering process. A 4 minute scene could take up to a day to render.

Alternatively, If we can get 4-5Millnaira for marketing and promotion then work starts. Note that there is no competition and consequently no struture on ground to tap into. We need to market d product extensively so as not to loose out to pirates.

I don't know how much the so called Nollywood movies are made but I'm not sure if the above cost projections are actually cheaper than a full scale Nollywood movie?

Anyway, I think the way to start is to put up a 3-5 min Proof of concept/Sample/Demo of what you can do.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 12:47pm On Dec 25, 2005
layi omo you sound like a friend of mine, you all start with Big amounts i know that wd would need alot i also know that if we can come togther and talk we can beat the price down, as for marketing i guess we need to have the story line first and it has to be african, am sure the likes of silverbird group and bob t.v will be ready to put there money in this project, as for the site, i would start work on that, you all can tell me if you like it or not or make changes to it or, i think that we need to meet and talk, so we can be sure that this is no joke. if we are not all here then we can chat, fix a date and do that, but lets make it a reality. am going to start 3d stuffs this year at Aptech and so would also come in that area to help. but lets make it work ok
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 3:26pm On Dec 25, 2005
@4real
I did webdesigning at Aptech Maryland years back. I was on and off though because of my medical school program but i finally got certified. Greatest Aptechites!!!

@deepthough
As for the amount, 3D is not like the real world where mediocrity can be tolerated. You can't hide flaws in 3D. Its either u do it well or you don't. If you look at the cost or try to cut so many corners, u'll come out with a shody product that might not interest any party.

Do you think Toy Story's Budget wouldnt beat a lot of Hollywood movies? What about Shrek?
Now i said 2M because we'll use local aritist (ourselves) for the vocals. If you're to employ stars (which is useless now)...it would cost a lot more.

3D is not a cost-effective alternative to moving pictures. it is actually another media in the entertainment biz. Its expensive too. In fact it takes more time to make than the normal movie. Shrek and shark Tale took almost a year to produce.

I know its a HOT Idea and I'm in fully. its a Virgin Market here in Nigeria and even Africa. You can make Millions from it (if we can beat the pirates at their game). Its a project where you can invest N2-4M and make approximately N15M (or more depending on your marketing scope). No competitors for now.

But don't u think we can finish up the project and wait for someone to show interest. We might have to do a demo first like u (deepthough) said and we get a buyer or we fund the project (production to marketing) ourselves.
Lets cross out "marketing deal" for now cuzz marketers would rip us. Accountability is lacking in the industry.  No way to monitor sales made by your marketers. Why do you think its usually the marketers who bankroll most home videos in Nigeria? Its because the ordinary man who loose bigtime. marketers would sell 100,000copies and tell you they sold 1000. What would you do? No soundscan etc. If you can stay there to monitor them. Why don't u market it yourself.

Well lets get started. Ideas/scripts!!! source of funds!!! marketing plans !!!.
As regards execution. thats small. We have able hands. I have a team of 3 animators in lagos ..More animators can join.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2005
well layi am down also i guess that, the thing is how to get started, ok lets do it like this, if you are intrested pls just drop your mail addy and i would mail everyone, so we can fix a date to meet to iron out all the other things that we need to do. so pls lets start droping or better still send your e-mail addy to michael@9jamusiconline.com
be waiting to hear from you so that we can kick off.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by wilsonhaze(m): 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2005
i dont think this project will cost much money, we havent even known what animation to embark on yet, it doesn't have to be a long movie, it could be a short anim' on aids and its consequences, or a tousrist attraction stuff, or some kind of animation telling  nigerians to come 2gether, all that kind of positive stuff, it culd be about 2 mins long, for starters.. i'll start up a forum on a site where we can upload our works in, there'll be someone handling the diffrent sections, e.g modelling, lighting, rendering, environments,character animation, to make the work faster and less difficult.
i'll post the site soon.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2005
look you are going back to what has already been said, i have had a talk with layi and things are moving up and we are not waiting for anyone, we all can't just be all talk and no action. the thing is that i would not drop a large amount of money for you to come and do aids, when we have made the money yes.or someone else wants to yes. the thing is if you are ready pls send a mail to michael@9jamusiconline.com, pls with what you intend to do for the project, and we will get back to you
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by DeepThough: 2:08am On Dec 29, 2005
@layi: Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. I knew animations could be expensive but I didn't quite think of it in terms of Shrek type quality.I was thinking more in terms of the cheaper Japanese animie.

@4real:
Your enthusiasm is commendable, but I guess people have different approaches and levels of expertise in these thing. It probably is child's play to you if you've done this before, but others may not have the capability to move quite as fast as you.

@wilsonhaze:
Here are a few things to consider; feel free to add to the list below;

-Concept:
I'm guessing you are talking about a dry run to demonstrate proof of concept rather than diving headlong into this thing. If so, I rather like this approach. It lets us newbies know exactly what is possible and give us an idea of resources.

1-Scope: Lets limit this to a five min animation

2- Budget: Lets estimate an idea of costs before even starting

3- Tools: What kinds of tools do we need and what is avaliable?

4- Skills: What kinds of skills do we need and what is available

5- Assign the task: Who will do what?

I did some programming (OO) languages a few years ago and briefly worked as a programmer/web developer. I'm not in this line anymore and will be next to useless working with Flash/Swish. However, I would love to help out even if it means re-learning. But I'm fairly good at other things such as authoring scripts.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 11:45am On Dec 29, 2005
@deepthrough
I am a 3d animator as well as a web developer (a medical student too grin..seriously) and i can tell u; the kind of scripting needed in web development (JScript, .NET, cold fusion etc) arent useful in 3D.
3D is all about modelling characters, creating real life enviroments , animate the charaters round the enviroment, render your animated work and then simulate vocals with d project. NO special scripting is involved. We have highly technical GUI interfaced softwares where all d scripting needed have been "morphed" into Icons.
All u need do is to relearn. Get 3D Max software (from comp villa if you're in Nigeria) and go through the tutorials. It takes time though but you'ld be able to produce SHREK quality animations.

@wilsonhaze
I'm NOT down wit your idea. Sorry. Why 2 mins animation? Aids and stuffs. For what purpose? I thought we are talking real biz here not an NGO.... If u got a company who needs 2mins 3D advert... we can do that for a fee BUT plz lets think big. I don't know how u want to make cash with a 3 mins 3D reel except u have it as just a demo *to show what u got*..part of a bigger project.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by wilsonhaze(m): 3:40pm On Dec 29, 2005
its ok doing something longer than a 2 mins reel, then there's no problem about that, 4real i think u've got an attitude problem. remember i started this forum topic, so dont give me that attitude becos' u metioned bobtv somewhere in this forum.

u people havent said anything about the forum i wanted to create.
well anyway u guys want to do it i'm all ears.

and please layi, i wasnt thinking of doing anything for any company please dont think like that
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by c0dec(m): 4:53pm On Dec 29, 2005
i would really like to see where all these yarns will lead to.

aiming for shrek-type movies with 4 artists in 3 months seems very unrealistic to me. my suggestion is that you should start small first, like someone suggested - lets see a demo. better still, u could integrate your skillz with the producers of nollywood supplying special effects to their movies and stuff and doing music videos.

well, i'm a 3d programmer not an artist. so good luck.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by layi(m): 8:25pm On Dec 29, 2005
@codec
Maybe unrealistic to you but NOT to us. U may watch out for where the yarns will lead us. Thanks for your input.

@wilsonhaze
I appreciate u starting the thread and i was in no way sarcastic in my statement to you. I was only explaining why your idea has to be broadened.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by DeepThough: 5:29am On Dec 30, 2005
@layi
As I said earlier,I've since left the IT field and never did animations apart text. So I appreciate comments from people who know about animations.

Get 3D Max software (from comp villa if you're in Nigeria) and go through the tutorials. It takes time though but you'ld be able to produce SHREK quality animations

No,I'm not in Nigeria.So where does FLASH come in?

Secondly, it is probably too early to think too seriously about returns on this project though of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong about wanting to make money from it. We should probably focus at this time upon setting up a framework, unless of course you prefer to go it alone. What I mean without disrespect is that there are a couple of different approaches possible in this issue.
    a) cutting to the chase and starting something right off the bat as 4real suggested.  Nothing wrong with that , if you possess ALL the necessary resources (not just animation skills, but other small things like time, money,scripts, literary talents, connections, insight, e.t.c!)
   b) You may consider working with other people who may slow you down BUT could make meaningful contributions down the road.

If you think option b) makes sense, I would suggest asking wilsonhaze to go ahead with his plan. If we are able to make a good five min demo, we can then start to talk about a preliminary buisness plan. It may not be possible to make money immediately but it will no doubt make money eventually once there is a product and people have been made aware through promotionals. I think the first step is definitely a demo.

@wilsonhaze

i'll start up a forum on a site where we can upload our works in, there'll be someone handling the diffrent sections, e.g modelling, lighting, rendering, environments,character animation, to make the work faster and less difficult.
i'll post the site soon

Please go ahead with this if you please. I will give you all the support that is in my  power to do, but I have limited tech skills in this area for now. However, I would love to get my fingers dirty again and would appreciate more info in this direction in addition to what layi has already said above.

Now let me get into specifics.Who will or can do what? Don't we all have to be on the same page and have similar capabilities including using the software and hardware?
Let me suggest that we organize this thing properly.

1. Get a structure in place. Appoint a sort of "project manager"; someone who knows the technology (Yourself or Layi)
2.Get a story line (I can provide one if you want)
3. Specify the tools you require or will use/ask other to use.
4. Assign a schedule/deadline
5. Assign tasks based on 2 above.

@4real
Are you interested in working with newbies or do you think we will only slow you down?

@Codec
You are right. It may be unrealistic to expect to develop a Shrek like movie in a few months with a few animators. BUT there is nothing unrealistic about realizing the unrealistic if there is the right will and vision. Please stay tuned, hopefully, you may be suprised.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by smartsoft(m): 3:54pm On Dec 30, 2005
I feel You Layi
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 5:22pm On Dec 30, 2005
4real i think u've got an attitude problem. remember i started this forum topic, so don't give me that attitude because' u mentioned bobtv somewhere in this forum.
what the hell do you mean by that, pls have i in any way insulted you, i demand an apology, number 1 i did not say anything about bob tv, i suggest you go back and read that messages again.
i feel layi cause we have spoken, and am open to all new and old, good and bad,
@DeepThough
i think you got a sound mind, and with that we can work together whether you got the skills or not, you can be useful in other areas,
And yes layi flash can come into play the flash you know is not the same as the flash of before as adobe as bought it over, and flash is begined used for 3d animation and not just for the web

and the reason i really want us to kick start this project is cause this topic was started on: December 18, 2005, 02:25 AM and since then all we do is just talk. and as if that is not enough out man wilsonhaze wants to start another one for what, is the project going to be done by posted messages over the board. deepthouh the things you talked about are things we really need to talk about, when we meet on a round table and know who is who and who is intrested. it's a new year, let work, am not saying lets start the project right away am saying that lets get to meet to talk about what needs to be said and start the project. and my guy wilsonhaze. i want to work with you and make money with you. i give you that respect that you started this topic, but even with that if all you want to do is talk, then those of us who want to make a change, will go ahead and do it. ( i pray that those not happen) all am saying is let all hands be on deck. enough of talk, lets see some action.
and men if we want to do a project lets do it.
but me don't buy the idea of 2 Min's. lets do two Min's of the movie it's self.
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by wilsonhaze(m): 10:40am On Dec 31, 2005
this is the page for the forum boards, www.3dproject.r8.org , it still needs some sorting out but at least work can be done in there.

the reason why i am creating this board is not to further more talk and less action, it is becos not everyone who's interseted in this stuff is at lagos, e.g me. i school at enugu, and i dont think i'm coming to lagos till the second week of january, so with this board we can upload whatever we have done in there.

so please i am waiting for u guys response.

layi i think u'll be needing the admin password and stuff incase u want to be editing anything.
cheers wink
Re: Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? by 4real(m): 4:05pm On Dec 31, 2005
it's the reason someone like me and layi have been shouting like get this thing going, and wilsonhaze there is no diffrence btw what we have here and what you have created. it is still the same old thing talk talk and talk, if you are in lagos. send ur yahoo id lets set a date where we all can chat and make some seroius decisions. so we can move forward.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairalander Makes Nikon I Am Football Photography Competition Top 20 / Whatsapp Group For Graphics Design / 3d Modeling And Animation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.