Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman (28594 Views)

Imo Monachs Tell FG To Allow Nnamdi Kanu Come Home To Bury His Mother / Yerima Shettima: North Won’t Succumb To Blackmail On 2023 / Kanti Bello: North Won’t Vote Buhari, We’ll Shop For Candidate With No Vendetta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by edunwablog: 6:14am On Aug 26, 2017
“In the absence of a cat, the house becomes a playfield for rats”, so goes a Yoruba saying. Another like it notes that “The return of a cat from a long sojourn always restores sanity and ends the free run of rodents and their destructive activities in a house”.

President Muhammadu Buhari may not be a cat, but he has proved that his being symbolically likened to the wild specie and king of the jungle, the lion, by his wife, Aisha, is no fluke at all. While away on his prolonged medical vacation in London, Nigeria’s corporate existence floundered and tottered on the brink, as all manner of groups took the opportunity to intensify hate rhetoric, agitations and agenda believed to be inimical to the corporate existence of the nation. Although his deputy, Yemi Osinbajo, who acted for Buhari in his absence, tried to douse the tension, his pacifist methods and dialogue with leaders of ethnic nationalities, as well as his own perception as a ‘dove’, coupled with power play believed to have hamstrung his decision making hardly went far in containing the state of anomie.

However, signaling hope in the improvement of her husband’s health and his mind on goings on in the country, which, Buhari himself hinted in his Monday broadcast to the nation he monitored closely, albeit with distressed mind, Mrs. Buhari had assured a despairing citizenry of normalcy being restored, with far-reaching measures, once the ‘lion king’ was back in the country in her parable of the ‘hyenas and the jackals’.

His condemnation and threat to deal with the threats to national security and stability, in his terse broadcast, which drew mixed reactions from the populace, followed by his recent order to security agencies to crush ‘trouble makers’, notably the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Boko Haram are simply in line with the character of President Buhari as a strong leader.

Although it is viewed in certain quarters as overkill, the President’s directive has been fully backed by the Northern Elders Forum (NEF). Chairman of the organization, Dr. Paul Unongo in an interview with Saturday Sun’s WILLY EYA, explained that if the Nnamdi Kanu-led IPOB was allowed to carry on with its activities as it had hitherto done, it would drag the nation back into civil war. This, according to the NEF chief, would be disastrous, when Nigerian leaders including Ikemba Odumegwu Ojukwu and Buhari, who were actors and also fought in the 1967-1970 armed conflict in which 3 million souls perished, regretted ‘Biafra’, had made up and agreed on national unity.

President Buhari has given the security chiefs marching orders to crush the Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB), Boko Haram and other groups that pose a threat to national unity. What do you make of his directive?

I know Buhari very well. It was in my hometown, Gboko that Buhari and Ojukwu met for the first time after the war. I arranged for Buhari and Ojukwu to meet in Gboko. So I could feel Buhari’s pain. You feel pain when young men that were not even born when we went and suffered so much and inflicted so much suffering on our people are using such verbiage and such type of rhetoric. They cannot even talk in such a sophisticated and philosophical manner like Ojukwu. They cannot match Ojukwu in any way. Remember all the troubles that we went through to try and say look if we make ourselves to fight a war, we are going to come back to the same basic problems that we would sit down, talk about it and sort out. Ojukwu said let us go to Aburi and I would stand on Aburi and everybody said take Aburi; then something changed and he said give me confederation now or give me war. They were young people; both Ojukwu and Gowon were colonels. They told Ojukwu take federalism, let us dialogue and Ojukwu said no, let us fight and they now said, okay, if you fight, I would respond. And we saw these things for two years between 1967 through 1968. Then you have young persons who did not see what happened going around and matured people making the young boy feel that he is something special. They are using half the idioms that Ojukwu used. They speak half the English that Ojukwu spoke and they are delivering the message less than the way Ojukwu delivered it and people are saying let us go to war. So, I can understand Buhari, a man who was a commander in the warfront, fought against Ojukwu and three years they never talked nor greeted, and after the war, they refused to greet, until I arranged and brought them to Gboko; Ojukwu from Nnewi and Gen. Buhari from Daura and we met at St John’s Catholic Church, Gboko. I think it is annoying. What kind of country is this? What sort of human beings are we to now prove that man does not learn from history? Shall we, Nigerians, start all over again and not move forward. After 50 years, we come back to the same rhetoric to abuse people and heat up the polity with tribal feelings right to the pitch and we fight a war. Last time, we lost 3million people. If we go with Nnamdi Kanu now, how many millions are we ready to part with? Maybe 15 million and we wait for another 50 years and the cycle continues. I support the position of Professor Ben Nwabueze who is one of the constitutional lawyers in the world. The position is, please, let us come and sit down in a Sovereign National Conference; we are all very educated; even our children have become professors. Nigerians can sit down and talk over their differences very coolly. They can shout and abuse themselves if they want, but I do know one thing, the state of friendship, and love that was shown during the Nigerian civil war proves that Nigerians can reach agreement on every single thing, but the insensitivity of people who do not know the trauma of those who participated in the war are going through is the problem. They are talking as if there was never a Biafra. We fought a war for three years, very serious and devastating that you can’t imagine. People sought for food and anything. In fact, it got to a stage that people could have consumed human beings. The people out there who saw this horrific suffering, how are they allowing these young children to do what they are doing? We that are old have an obligation to tell the young people that we cannot go back to war. The issue of Biafra was sorted out on the battlefield and about 3million Nigerians died in the process. I understand when Buhari talked about it with a little bit of anger. I say it softly; I beg you my brother, Kanu. We do not want another Biafra. We settled the issue of staying together with 3million people. I am 100 per cent with Buhari on that.

With less than two years of his administration left, what do you think Buhari should do to douse tension in the country?

I think that Buhari, as a politician now, has spelt out the orientation of his government and his political party has an agenda. Three items of the agenda are central to his administration. These terrorists called Boko Haram were contesting the Nigerian territory; they seized a huge chunk of the Nigerian territory. Let me give you a graphic illustration of the territory for Boko Haram. You know Borno State, in relative comparison, is seven times more than the whole landmass of the South East and Boko Haram captured almost 90 percent of that. Boko Haram successfully captured 80 percent of the state and hoisted their flag on the territory. They captured land as big as the whole of South East. They were administering that land when Buhari took over power. They were threatening to capture Adamawa, which is two to three times the size of South East and they were encroaching into Gombe and also Bauchi. And Buhari said he was not going to tolerate anybody. He said he was going to chase them out and crush them. He made security his first priority. He also said he would fight a war against corruption and fix the economy too.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/sunnewsonline.com/biafra-why-north-wont-allow-nnamdi-kanu-go-on-unongo-northern-elders-forum-chairman/amp/

6 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Jilo83(m): 6:18am On Aug 26, 2017
epistle

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by ProDNA: 6:19am On Aug 26, 2017
Clear all doubts. Contact us for your most reliable paternity DNA test.

Check my signature..

8 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by igbeke: 6:20am On Aug 26, 2017
They won't allow him because they want to remain parasite feeding fat on the South till eternity.
Its OK, ride on.

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Josephjnr(m): 6:35am On Aug 26, 2017
igbeke:
They won't allow him because they want to remain parasite feeding fat on the South till eternity.
Its OK, ride on.

Apart from stopping Nigerians parasitic feeding as you said from the South,which other significant change will actualization of Biafra bring? I think changing our minds first,is the likely solution to Nigeria's problem.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Aufbauh(m): 6:35am On Aug 26, 2017
Like i said thinking that Biafra will be achieve during Buhari's regime is the most pathetic and pitiful thought of the century.

Although why i shared the innermost sentiments of Mr President & have never for once give credence to the present agitation by Ipob is that the movement was an obvious fallout of the 2015 election.

Maybe after Buhari's regime and they continue with this vigour i might believe their struggles,but for now it is the TAN-PDP converted opposition led by an ignorant fraudster.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by sarrki(m): 6:36am On Aug 26, 2017
Paul unongo. Address the issue of Fulani herdsmen first

Its Nigeria thing not north

So watch your tongue sire

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Redoil: 6:36am On Aug 26, 2017
If you agree with me that Buhari is the rat kanu is the cat click like if not click share

167 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Dillusionist(m): 6:36am On Aug 26, 2017
mtchew...stupid old men

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by eagleeye2: 6:37am On Aug 26, 2017
Jilo83:
epistle
Epistle of Paul Unongo to the Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by asorocker: 6:41am On Aug 26, 2017
My take is that the north is finished and will work to stop other people from leaving, I have no issue with the north but with the foreign powers who always back them

35 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by funlord(m): 6:46am On Aug 26, 2017
Abeg grand pa Paulo shut up!

16 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Meteoritee: 6:46am On Aug 26, 2017
I guess is now obvious to you people why other tribes hates you people, you people are just like aliens in your own country, you just can't fit in.
And why do you love to be with the ppl u hate. Allow them to go. At least that would spare you of your unending negative emotion.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Cinkq: 6:47am On Aug 26, 2017
Paul unongo of (NEF) makes sense in this interview ,anything that will stop this country from sliding into another civil war is acceptable to me. If igbo elites/politicians keep reiterating they are for a restructured one Nigeria,then kanu should take a bow and cease calling for break up.

2 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by luvinhubby(m): 6:49am On Aug 26, 2017
This man is speaking half truths.

Aburi was an outstanding agreement that Gowon reneged from, blaming Ojukwu for 'demanding for confederation or war's shows Unongo as a liar. The war was caused by 2 things, dishonesty of Gowon to Aburi accord & the ceaseless bloodletting of Southerners in the North & both are traceable to the North.

The civil war ended on the 3 Rs of Gowon and till date, none of the 3 Rs has been implemented, so blame those who reneged on the agreements for the recent resurgence of Biafra and no one else.

136 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Damibiz(m): 7:02am On Aug 26, 2017
All the people shouting Biafra here biafra there on NL are less 30yearz,let me ask u,what is ur personal contribution toward achieving biafra ?....go nd look for smthing gainful nd do.
They was Biafra,nd it died 50yearz ago......
Dont try to qout me...bcus if u do

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Josephjnr(m): 7:04am On Aug 26, 2017
luvinhubby:
This man is speaking half truths.

Aburi was an outstanding agreement that Gowon reneged from, blaming Ojukwu for 'demanding for confederation or war's shows Unongo as a liar. The war was caused by 2 things, dishonesty of Gowon to Aburi accord & the ceaseless bloodletting of Southerners in the North & both are traceable to the North.

The civil war ended on the 3 Rs of Gowon and till date, none of the 3 Rs has been implemented, so blame those who reneged on the agreements for the recent resurgence of Biafra and no one else.

You forgot to say the part of Aguiyi Ironsi and the death of northerners. Add it please.

5 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Young03(m): 7:23am On Aug 26, 2017
Elder iberibe
Well na you get your mouth
U have said your own, another person will still come to say his mind

Ndi ara

23 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Platinumay(m): 7:33am On Aug 26, 2017
Hmmm... Biafra started a civil war in a country that gained independence less than seven years ago, the war lasted for 3 years. Over 3 million citizens killed. In a country that just gained independence!

Okay, let's do a quick review.

What are the consequences of a civil war in a country ?

Now I see what we are still paying for today.

Don't quote me if ur brain is too shallow to comprehend.
Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by hammerT: 7:33am On Aug 26, 2017
The North? Is the North God?

Y do the beggarly North think the whole world revolve around dem?

The North this, the North dat?

Is Nnamdi Kanu from the North?

They should first ensure that their son Abubakar Shekau, dat have murdered so many innocent people wont go on.

Arrest Arewa Youth that called for the genocide of Igbos and ensure dat Fulani Herdsmen wont go on.

U dont leave matters in your house, jump the fence into another man house to go and settle the matter there.

Nnamdi Kanu is not from the North, he has no business with the North and has the right of self determination.

If he is wrong, then call a referendum to see if he has the full support of his people and dat is all that matters.

71 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 26, 2017
President Buhari has given the security chiefs marching orders to crush the Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB), Boko Haram and other groups that pose a threat to national unity. What do you make of his directive?

(1) Crush peaceful protesters?While Fulani herdsmen received money from Kaduna state government for killing

After 50 years, we come back to the same rhetoric to abuse people and heat up the polity with tribal feelings right to the pitch and we fight a war.

(2) Another war monger?Nobody is talking about war,it seems you are still in the 70s,it is now called referendum not war

Ojukwu from Nnewi and Gen. Buhari from Daura and we met at St John’s Catholic Church, Gboko.

(3) Ok,Nigeria is a partnership business between Ojukwu and Buhari?and they have decided the fate of over 30 million Igbos?

The issue of Biafra was sorted out on the battlefield

(4)Dementia. Biafra is an ideology,ideologies are not 'sorted' out on the battlefield

It was in my hometown, Gboko that Buhari and Ojukwu met for the first time after the war.

(5) Oh,you are from Gboko,Benue?You should be the most vocal against the rampaging Fulani herdsmen,no,just like a slave you love the golden chain

(6) Lastly,the middle belt has once again has become a pawn on the chessboard of the core north,just like they made Gowon head of state to 'include' them and help them fight the war,they have made Paul Unongo the Chairman of the Northern elders forum now that the middle belt wants to detach from the Core North

THE SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by luvinhubby(m): 7:50am On Aug 26, 2017
Josephjnr:

You forgot to say the part of Aguiyi Ironsi and the death of northerners. Add it please.

Please educate me.

4 Likes

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Ogurube: 8:08am On Aug 26, 2017
Now we know why the rats invaded Ash Rock. Is Paul Unongo alright? Nigeria's corporate existence has always been non-existent. Nnamdi Kanu's activism is convened to force the government to review the terms of our unity and for Nigerians to demand competence from a dysfunctional government.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by UfuomaUN(m): 8:09am On Aug 26, 2017
I stopped reading when he said Borno is seven times the size of the SE. This man obviously doesn't know his maps how much more understand the severity of the problem on ground

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by truth4u: 8:31am On Aug 26, 2017
Why must it be always the north decision? Are the West and East slaves?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:45am On Aug 26, 2017
ProDNA:
Clear all doubts. Contact us for your most reliable paternity DNA test.

Check my signature..

How ?
Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by proeast(m): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2017
sarrki:
Paul unongo. Address the issue of Fulani herdsmen first

Its Nigeria thing not north

So watch your tongue sire
Did someone hack your brain or your account? Well, its a welcome development anyway. This puppet called Unongo is talking about Biafra when his people are going extinct through coordinated fulani genocide! What a fuulish and stvpid old man!!!

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Lkido(m): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2017
shocked make them no kill am oh.. . Matters go worst
Re: Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman by Oni91(m): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2017
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gov Abdulrazaq Sacks Driver for Careless Handling Of Suspected COVID-19 Patient / FG Slashes Import Licenses To Oil Marketers From 43 To 29 / Obaseki Sacks State Worker For Testifying Against Party In Election Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.