Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede (13839 Views)

Oloyede Opposes Reduction Of JAMB Fees / JAMB: 25% Scored Above 200 Out Of 1m Candidate – Oloyede / Snake: JAMB Registrar, Oloyede Blasts Nigerians For Joking Over Missing N36m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by EYIBLESSN(m): 9:34am On Aug 27, 2017
He is making sense.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by dapyd1(m): 9:36am On Aug 27, 2017
heykims:
He's got points
Many are roaming d streets unadmitted while some of those above 200 don't clear the 0level to be admitted.
As such, universities admit way below the number they should.
People should please and digest before displaying their ignorance

You are talking more out of sentiment. Mention one school that the students are not enough.

Every day, we are complaining that students are too many in schools. Our hostels are filled to the brim like Nigerian prisons. Students sit on the floor in lecture halls. Those at the back can't hear.

Lecturers complain that they have too many scripts to mark in a short time. And you are complaining about under admittance.

You and I both know that's a lie.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by yaki84: 9:37am On Aug 27, 2017
dapyd1:

You are countering yourself. Lecturers will collect more workload because the students need more Lecturers. Students are too many, that's why Lecturers can teach in four, five schools.

If the classrooms are empty as he said, no lecturer will be able to teach in more than one school because there will be no extra student.

if a lecturer has 300students in a class n teaches like 3 of such class in a sch, i mean yr1,2;3, then his workload wont permit him to work outside his employ.
Some science teachers have less than 30 students in a class.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by shamack: 9:39am On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:
What is this man saying sef. So those students that recently scored straight A1s in the last WAEC are children of wealthy Nigerians? Funny.... The children of the poor are the ones that perform better than those of the rich if he doesn't know.

A student who is able to score 5 credits required for admission is worth their salt to score above 120 or 100 in UME.

And no.... UME is a qualifying exam and not ranking exam. They better introduce post UME tests or electronic we will be be getting students with below participation performance admitted.

Looking at the trends.... When children of the rich were failing WAEC, government introduced NECO. Samething happened when their children were not getting admitted by the public universities they licensed private universities the poor could not afford, and now because of high exchange rates, they are now dropping UME cut-off to accommodate their own failed children angry SMH.... So sad!

pls stop jumping into meaningless conclusion, reas n digest what he said
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Uchemus(m): 9:43am On Aug 27, 2017
sometimes I wonder how these leader think, why would someone who havnt passed waec write utme. if you think the hurdle is unnecessary then stop the utme. since the spaces in the tertiary institutions are limited, the cut off Mark should be guided by the capacity of these institutions and the number of students taking utme for the given year. but let's tell ourselves the truth, this would mostly favour the north and private university owners. this means whoever scored 140 would have equal chances with whoever scored 300 to study a given course and they would be left at the discretion of the VCs and provost who you had your so called meeting with to do their bidding in deciding who they admit. pls if the cutoff can be as low as 120/400, then it's useless, just scrap the exam and save money, let everyone go for entrance exam at the university of their choice on a fixed date generally accepted by the universities.

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by bigtt76(f): 9:48am On Aug 27, 2017
I've read it dear nothing more to digest than I've already pointed out. I've known the Registrar right from his days as DVC Uniilorin and I know he's very principled to stoop down this low. He's under pressure I want to believe.

shamack:

pls stop jumping into meaningless conclusion, reas n digest what he said

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Histrings08(m): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2017
dapyd1:
Thus man is not serious.

First, he insinuates that the 120 cut-off mark favours the poor. What kind of snobbish statement is that. Who told you that children of the poor cannot read.

Second, you say it's a ranking examination, but it has cut-off mark. How does a ranking exam have cut off mark. A ranking exam should just rank people, period. If you score 0-50,you are in this rank; 50-150 - thus tank etc. Or am I the one who doesn't understanding ranking?
We all know UTME is a requirement to go to any higher institution. It is used in conjunction with SSCE. If it is just ranking, can anyone get into the university without UTME

Third, no matter how you spin it. 120 is nonsense. That's freaking 30%. Common, that's an F. An indictment on our education sector.

Stop comparing what is not comparable.
sensible explanation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by bigtt76(f): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2017
Leave them let them be supporting an anomaly. We de watch naaaa

dapyd1:

You are talking more out of sentiment. Mention one school that the students are not enough.

Every day, we are complaining that students are too many in schools. Our hostels are filled to the brim like Nigerian prisons. Students sit on the floor in lecture halls. Those at the back can't hear.

Lecturers complain that they have too many scripts to mark in a short time. And you are complaining about under admittance.

You and I both know that's a lie.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by bigtt76(f): 9:54am On Aug 27, 2017
Exactly my point too. How can you go in with a shaky foundation and expect to come out with requisite knowledge and skills to move this country forward? They want to start producing dundee graduates that would continue to allow 90 years Olds to become presidents without opposition. Na lie den lie.

dapyd1:
Thus man is not serious.

First, he insinuates that the 120 cut-off mark favours the poor. What kind of snobbish statement is that. Who told you that children of the poor cannot read.

Second, you say it's a ranking examination, but it has cut-off mark. How does a ranking exam have cut off mark. A ranking exam should just rank people, period. If you score 0-50,you are in this rank; 50-150 - thus tank etc. Or am I the one who doesn't understanding ranking?
We all know UTME is a requirement to go to any higher institution. It is used in conjunction with SSCE. If it is just ranking, can anyone get into the university without UTME

Third, no matter how you spin it. 120 is nonsense. That's freaking 30%. Common, that's an F. An indictment on our education sector.

Stop comparing what is not comparable.

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 27, 2017
StRichard:
This man is confuse how can he make this kind of comment...

It's possible sir! However, I still don't like the policy.

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by sleem2017(m): 10:11am On Aug 27, 2017
I think this is a good idea at least it will reduce those students that are just roaming on the road in the cause of seeking for admission. Moreover self I think this will curb under table admission some institutions were doing for there own benefits and this will even increase the number of first choice courses we will be having in our various institutions as he said 60% of science course while humanity will be 40% which will bring a lot of professional and competencies of our graduate. I submit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to u Mr oloyede!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ride on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God will be ur strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by buffalowings: 10:21am On Aug 27, 2017
O boi

120/400 angry

Na F be this na grin

Make dem kuku
Scrap exam

What's the point

I think the result will just be that students from the south who go to northern unis for admission
Will have the door shut in their face.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by yim(f): 10:24am On Aug 27, 2017
When I read this statement, I was taken aback. This man obviously doesn't understand the problem. There is no school that is under populated infact all are over populated.
Second, anyone who made 5 credits in SSCE and cannot make 200 in jamb should re write jamb.
120 is 30%. F9
It belittles the intelligence of Nigerians. Its a stupid call.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by JaffyJoe(m): 10:26am On Aug 27, 2017
Absolute trash. This would only sound smart to a dumb nigger.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by yim(f): 10:27am On Aug 27, 2017
sleem2017:
I think this is a good idea at least it will reduce those students that are just roaming on the road in the cause of seeking for admission. Moreover self I think this will curb under table admission some institutions were doing for there own benefits and this will even increase the number of first choice courses we will be having in our various institutions as he said 60% of science course while humanity will be 40% which will bring a lot of professional and competencies of our graduate. I submit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to u Mr oloyede!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ride on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God will be ur strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The schools cannot admit more than they are now. The schools are over populated. Structures are not good. If they are all admitted which classroom will contain them undecided
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Xerox01(m): 10:31am On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:
What is this man saying sef. So those students that recently scored straight A1s in the last WAEC are children of wealthy Nigerians? Funny.... The children of the poor are the ones that perform better than those of the rich if he doesn't know.

A student who is able to score 5 credits required for admission is worth their salt to score above 120 or 100 in UME.

And no.... UME is a qualifying exam and not ranking exam. They better introduce post UME tests or electronic we will be be getting students with below participation performance admitted.

Looking at the trends.... When children of the rich were failing WAEC, government introduced NECO. Samething happened when their children were not getting admitted by the public universities they licensed private universities the poor could not afford, and now because of high exchange rates, they are now dropping UME cut-off to accommodate their own failed children angry SMH.... So sad!
God bless this comment

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by MrEnigma007: 10:33am On Aug 27, 2017
MMMw:
In summary of what the man is saying
Utme is not an educational process of entering university.
Utme is just a board to welcome you at the door of university.
Utme is just to rank you qualified for university.
Utme is just here to shake you after olevel and you are set for university.
Utme is telling you now, I am useless , don't kill yourself over me.
Utme is saying just get 120 and go and battle with your universities.
Utme is saying u must pay me first some money for that.
Utme is saying, I'm not in charge of your admissions.
So in general
Utme is just using your money to buy weed.
Utme is one bad nigga that eats but never work.
Utme get no sense but always deceive those with sense.
Utme is Nigeria and Nigeria is utme.
Since utme is useless
Nigeria is useless.

What stops utme to disappear rather than stealing from poor masses.
At least the masses can choose many school after olevel and one must click.
Wickedness in high places.
Wicked country.
God punish you all
Amen

Thanks.

For those still saying the man is right... understand what this guy wrote and you will know "you know nothing"...

if it is a ranking system and "some" who scored 200+ don't have 5 credit (which is certainly hard to believe except the person certainly cheated in waec) then the logical thing to do is scrap jamb because from his statement the said jamb is useless. At least I can choose different universities where chances of admission becomes great and not confined to two

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by chalerea(m): 10:36am On Aug 27, 2017
Kraspo:
How then can we begin to rank our students from 120?? This is not just right. We started CBT some years ago and we were applauded for the advancement and now are reducing the cut-off mark in the name of ranking. If the essence of Jamb is now solely for ranking, then it should be scrapped so that the universities can conduct their screening exams themselves. These guys are just putting our lecturers under stress.

CBT was also criticized! Nigerians find it so difficult to embrace change. I think the man is on point. The various universities can still peg their cut off point to 200 if they so wish.

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by DateMynd44(m): 10:44am On Aug 27, 2017
Yinabim:
This man is not normal
if he feels it's not Jamb examination but Waec that qualifies candidates for admission then let them scrap d Jamb na
instead of making our education system appear substandard ,u really want to give opportunities to student with poor financial background , no need to do one foolish ranking kuku Scrap Jamb
coming from an Olodo who has failed Jamb umpteen times.

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Chukabiz1961(m): 10:54am On Aug 27, 2017
There is nothing hard to understand here. The problem is the patience to read thoroughly through the lines.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:

interesting..... theres always two sides to a coin.....

what i understand by the decision is that universities can now allow anyone with jamb score above 120 to write post ume exam so far they have passed 5 subjects in waec. instead of putting d cutoff at 200 and not allowing those with 5 credits a chance. we all know many students with high jamb scores were helped in writing the exam. and not all that score high in jamb make 5 credits due to one reason or the other. same way not all that score low in jamb are dull. what they are saying is to give all of them the chance to write the post ume exam. u will be surprised that many people that score low in jamb will do better in the post ume exam.

that still doesn't mean that someone with 300 jamb score will be denied admission while 120 will be admitted. let them all write the post ume and proof themselves

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Makanjuola89: 11:29am On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:

Great commentator, you know better than them? Please go and read why JAMB was established before you show your skill ok?
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by uncleade(m): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:

Sorry, you've just posted a lot but a nonsense article.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Dee1murphy(m): 11:56am On Aug 27, 2017
And you think you know more than the professor ?
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by mfm04622: 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kraspo:
How then can we begin to rank our students from 120?? This is not just right. We started CBT some years ago and we were applauded for the advancement and now are reducing the cut-off mark in the name of ranking. If the essence of Jamb is now solely for ranking, then it should be scrapped so that the universities can conduct their screening exams themselves. These guys are just putting our lecturers under stress.

Which do you want. Schools officially giving students who score 120 and above admission or quietly giving those who score below 120 admission? What they are trying to do same ensure all admission are above board and nobody pays or uses influence to get admission
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by TEEBLUE88(m): 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
VoltageDivida:
What is he saying, who is he trying to confuse?

My brother has scored more than 200 in three UTME's has more than five credits and is still not admitted.

How does lowering the cut off mark to 120 solve this problem?
i scored 176 in the last MPCE in 2009 and also have more than 5 credits in my O-level but was not admited by any polytechnic, i also know many who suffered the same fate with UTME so what is he talking about? Nonesense!

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by texazzpete(m): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2017
heykims:
He's got points
Many are roaming d streets unadmitted while some of those above 200 don't clear the 0level to be admitted.
As such, universities admit way below the number they should.
People should please and digest before displaying their ignorance

Apart from his biased testimony, what other source do you have to confirm his claims that universities are 'oversubscribed'?
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by HaneefahRN(f): 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
So of what use is it then? Waste of money? The should just cancel the stupid thing all together then and let those with 5 credits go battle out the post-Utme of whatever Uni they want.
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by tolayemi: 12:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
Some of you guys are talking because you are not a member of the decision making body of the system. The quota system of any school is determined by NUC, NBTE and the likes after assessment of the available facilities. While you outsiders are claiming all our schools are overpopulated, whereas 90% of our institutions does not fill the approved quota for their departments over the years. Even if the cutoff mark is 50/400, that does not imply a department will overshoot its capacity but all other underpopulated dept will fill theirs. Even with the new cutoff marks, the higher your score, the better your chance getting admitted in your "preferred" course. This policy does not imply universities will admit students with less than 200 into competitive courses like medicine, law, accountancy, geology, etc, but less competitive courses can also have their fair sharing.

2 Likes

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by holocron: 12:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
Uchemus:
sometimes I wonder how these leader think, why would someone who havnt passed waec write utme. if you think the hurdle is unnecessary then stop the utme. since the spaces in the tertiary institutions are limited, the cut off Mark should be guided by the capacity of these institutions and the number of students taking utme for the given year. but let's tell ourselves the truth, this would mostly favour the north and private university owners. this means whoever scored 140 would have equal chances with whoever scored 300 to study a given course and they would be left at the discretion of the VCs and provost who you had your so called meeting with to do their bidding in deciding who they admit. pls if the cutoff can be as low as 120/400, then it's useless, just scrap the exam and save money, let everyone go for entrance exam at the university of their choice on a fixed date generally accepted by the universities.

Gbam!
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by mfm04622: 12:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kraspo:

Which do you want. Schools officially giving students who score 120 and above admission or quietly giving those who score below 120 admission? What they are trying to do same ensure all admission are above board and nobody pays or uses influence to get admission. They started with this year's admission, requiring schools to show crit used in admitting students. Merit, indegenes or catchment area. I guess this is further refinement of the system
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Kbanka: 12:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
Most of yu that have failed to understand what this man is saying either did not or will not score up to 200 in UTME. It is clearly for your own good.

Simple thing, you people cannot understand even with the examples he gave.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WAEC Withholds Results Of 13,488 Candidates In Released Nov/dec Exam Record / , / How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.