Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil (7988 Views)

Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. / Oil Change From Mobil 1 5w30 To Any Other Good Synthetic Oil . / The Best Synthetic Oil Of 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bmedels26(f): 7:14am On Aug 27, 2017
Synthetic oils have caused countless debates and confusion across nearly every automotive forum, and often with good reason. Legally, the term “synthetic” has a pretty loose definition. While some manufacturers would prefer the word synthetic to only apply to oils chemically formulated without the use of petroleum as a base oil, that is simply not how the rating system works.

The majority of motor oils can be divided up into five different groups. An oil’s group number is dependent on the base oil properties used to derive it. Group I and II oils are created using petroleum base oils, and are considered conventional oil. Group III, IV, and V are considered synthetic, even though group III oils are also derived from a petroleum base oil. Regardless of the derivation, group III through V oils have superior properties and have undergone additional chemical processes which make them differ greatly in quality from groups I & II oils. The group rating alone is not sufficient information to determine if one oil is superior to another; each group has individual advantages and disadvantages.

Speaking more generally of synthetic oils as a whole, versus conventional oils, there are legitimately impressive differences between the two. Consider the creation process of a conventional 5W-30 motor oil. The petroleum base oil alone may have the properties of an SAE 5 grade oil. This means at extremely low temperatures, it may be thick, and at high temperatures, it’s fairly thin. To change this, oil companies incorporate additives into the mix, changing the properties. Pour point depressants can reduce the viscosity at low temperatures, and viscosity index improvers can thicken the oil at high temperatures. The resulting stew of chemicals yields a 5W-30 motor oil, common within the industry. When it’s brand new, a 5W-30 conventional motor oil acts exactly like a 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.

Over time, however, the chemical additives used in the conventional oil to alter its properties begin to break-down, vaporize, or get used up. This means that the oil starts to return back to it’s original base oil, from a 5W-30 back to a straight grade 5 oil for our example. As contaminants begin to work their way into the oil, the overall trend over a long duration is that the oil thickens across the entire spectrum. An old and used conventional 5W-30 oil behave very differently than a brand new 5W-30.

Synthetic oils work quite differently. From the start, the chemical structure is designed to match a specific multi-grade oil. That means even without additives, you could have a 5W-30 motor oil, and then certain additives like rust-inhibitors or dispersants will be added to further improve the usefulness of the oil. The result is that over time the synthetic oil does not degrade away back to a less desirable oil as conventional ones do. From a viscosity standpoint, an old 5W-30 synthetic will act pretty similar to a new 5W-30 synthetic, although likely it will be slightly thicker as a result of contaminants.

Why does all this matter? When engineers design the engine, they’re looking to achieve a certain oil flow rate throughout the system, dependent on the temperature of the engine and the speed at which it’s rotating. As oils age, their flow characteristics change, and this changes how well your engine is protected from wear when it operates outside the boundaries of its initial design. While it’s true that from a viscosity standpoint alone, you could match the protection of a synthetic oil simply by changing your conventional oil regularly, often times synthetic oils come with superior quality additives, leading to a cleaner, smoother running engine as well. There’s a reason why most automotive manufacturers have switched over to synthetics directly from the factory.

To visually see the difference between conventional and synthetic after heavy use, check out the following video:

http://carfreaksng.com/2017/08/25/makes-synthetic-oil-better/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8

2 Likes

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:20am On Aug 27, 2017
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by princetom1(m): 7:33am On Aug 27, 2017
c
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by lonelydora: 8:52am On Aug 27, 2017
From day 1 I bought my car, I have been using Non synthetic Mobil 1. I don't want to change to another oil. My engine is used to it.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by frankolett(m): 8:53am On Aug 27, 2017
Hmmmm shocked cool
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Franco93: 8:53am On Aug 27, 2017
You should have given us example of synthetic oil here in Nigeria; because I see no difference between Mobil oil, that is very expensive and Dozzy oil, that is cheapest
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Inception(m): 8:56am On Aug 27, 2017
princetom1:
c
GAZZUZZ:
b
Franco93:
l
frankolett:
Hmmmm shocked cool

Spacebookers grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Dottore: 8:57am On Aug 27, 2017
Ok
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by blackaxe78: 8:57am On Aug 27, 2017
Mobil -1 5W30 all the way.....

The best I ever got even though some people say the US own is better than what we have in Mobil filling stations which I tend to disagree with.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Franco93: 8:59am On Aug 27, 2017
Inception:

Spacebookers grin grin grin

Is it your booking? Amebo... Mtchewww

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Piyke: 9:11am On Aug 27, 2017
Consistently Keeping the recommended service interval and oil weight is the more important thing not necessarily using synthetic above conventional.

3 Likes

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:11am On Aug 27, 2017

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Yknekan(m): 9:12am On Aug 27, 2017
OK. Learning
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by nurey(m): 9:13am On Aug 27, 2017
Organic oil, gotten naturally from the plants, passed on from generation to generation, made organically through optimum refined process, blend with the most pure state of the art artificial processes that still maintain that aroma yet needed quality for a remarkable performance both on track and off track.

Buy best, buy peace of mind, buy hope, buy protection our oil meets the best standard in automotive engineering available in local shops near you grin

4 Likes

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:13am On Aug 27, 2017
Franco93:

Is it your booking? Amebo... Mtchewww

I don geeam 1 he will not talk again grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5876364_img1477_jpega05abc80e560111b3505c9f8da9427b2

2 Likes

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by senola1: 9:17am On Aug 27, 2017
blackaxe78:

The best I ever got even though some people say the US own is better than what we have in Mobil filling stations which I tend to disagree with.

It is true. The ones you see here in our mobil stations are produced in Egypt and appear a bit darker than the other ones like the Original Toyota synthetic 5w 20/30 which is produced in the US.

I have used both oils over time and i can authoritatively tell you which is better.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:20am On Aug 27, 2017
blackaxe78:

when you use this www.nairaland.com/attachments/5657937_img20170715150938_jpeg6338fcc920f186fd57e4026855e6a6ac you will never touch the one sold in the petrol stations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by blackaxe78: 9:23am On Aug 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

when you use this www.nairaland.com/attachments/5657937_img20170715150938_jpeg6338fcc920f186fd57e4026855e6a6ac you will never touch the one sold in the petrol stations.

Re the ones sold in Mobil filling stations counterfeit? Cos I believe Mobil as a brand has a name to protect and moreover, those oils were manufactured in UAE
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:32am On Aug 27, 2017
blackaxe78:

Re the ones sold in Mobil filling stations counterfeit? Cos I believe Mobil as a brand has a name to protect and moreover, those oils were manufactured in UAE

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5871378_simplestuff_jpeg57233bd4667b001d974d9d8ed0298747
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by princetom1(m): 9:45am On Aug 27, 2017
All of you will be looking, una no fit talk anything tongue.

GAZZUZZ, see who i saw this morning o. It doesn't add up, seems like profile was modified and being used

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by princetom1(m): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:00am On Aug 27, 2017
princetom1:
All of you will be looking, una no fit talk anything tongue.

GAZ.ZUZZ, see who i saw this morning o. It doesn't add up, seems like profile was modified and being used

I am not understanding... grin
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by refreshrate: 10:13am On Aug 27, 2017
blackaxe78:

Bros it's as true as it comes. You can't compare the one from the US with what's sold at the filling stations in Nigeria. I think that Nigerian one is milled in Egypt. If you try the US version you go open 2 accounts. 1 dom account & 1 with DHL

Leave story
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by refreshrate: 10:17am On Aug 27, 2017
blackaxe78:

Not counterfeit like that...have you bought brand new car from a Nigerian dealership before? Then the same exact car comes in American spec?

That kind of difference...agreeable is the same car same model but certain additions.

Not their fault, na wetin our money fit carry
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by mostyg(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2017
Any other brand name apart from Mobil,?
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by DaV8King(m): 11:16am On Aug 27, 2017
Total Quartz 9000 5W-30 is all my engine has ever known.

Following manufacturer's recommendation for your particular car regarding service interval and oil quality will preserve the life of your car beyond measure.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by elchymo: 11:22am On Aug 27, 2017
Shit, and I just bought the Nigerian mobil 5w-30 green cap bottle from filling station last week. And I drive a cadillac srx. Oga Gazzuzz, I swear am coming for you next month. American is meant to use American for optimum performance.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by MightyThor(m): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2017
Well for me i've always used toyota 5w30 ever since i purchased my cars and i can confidently say the oil has been performing very well.
i once ran the car for a year without oil change and the physical feel of the oil was almost still new.
what really sold me on the oil was when i changed my top gasket seal. Men the inside of the top cylinder was spectacular and very neat.

Though i dont think the oil is synthetic but that does not matter. There were good mineral oils before the advent of synthetic oil that does not mean that all synthetic oils are automatically superior to all other oil blends and are the best around.

For instance before dangote came with 42.5 grade cement, people have been building great structures with the old grade cement that are still standing today. So only narrow minded people will say that only dangote 42.5 grade cement is the best for building.

Summary. Dont be too quick to castigate or down grade the old for something new and flashy.
Remember the old has stood the test of time, while the new is in its youthfull stage and yet to be time tested.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by EdoBoy90(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
Best oil for Engines
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by mrintelligent(m): 1:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
Is Visco 2000 synthetic oil?
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2017
DaV8King:
Total Quartz 9000 5W-30 is all my engine has ever known.

Following manufacturer's recommendation for your particular car regarding service interval and oil quality will preserve the life of your car beyond measure.

not available in the nigerian market. it is 5w-40
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Deoboss(m): 2:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
it's true, Mobil 1 made in USA is superior with additional additives (2 dexos certified) than Mobil 1 we use here that is made in Egypt. i have a relative that works for a popular lubricant plant in USA that told me this authoritatively & categorically. because of him i've decided to switch to Mobil 1 USA which i made enquiries of it's 5qts can availability thru gazzuzz. Mobil 1 from Egypt is good no doubt, but Mobil 1 from USA is by far better

(1) (2) (Reply)

Use coolant.... Not water / AC Causing Over Heating / Technology Boom: Germany Launch Transparent Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.