Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil (7993 Views)

Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. / Oil Change From Mobil 1 5w30 To Any Other Good Synthetic Oil . / The Best Synthetic Oil Of 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by bily(m): 5:37pm On Aug 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

not available in the nigerian market. it is 5w-40

Also available in 0w-30. That's what I'm currently using

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
DaV8King:
Total Quartz 9000 5W-30 is all my engine has ever known.

Following manufacturer's recommendation for your particular car regarding service interval and oil quality will preserve the life of your car beyond measure.

Bros where you see that one buy?!

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2017
bily:

Also available in 0w-30. That's what I'm currently using

Motor oil goes beyond the label, it's more about the formulation. What is the ilsac rating of this oil if I may ask??

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 27, 2017
Oil gradually dried up in my car, what could be the cause? planning to top it up but I want to know what could cause this first.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
LeJeun3:

Motor oil goes beyond the label, it's more about the formulation. What is the ilsac rating of this oil if I may ask??

what is ILSAC?
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 10:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
Tesiday:

what is ILSAC?

The API Certification Mark, also known as the “Starburst” An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection standard and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) , a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 11:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
Tesiday:
Oil gradually dried up in my car, what could be the cause? planning to top it up but I want to know what could cause this first.

We don't know your car.... We don't know anything!

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bbklopsy: 1:12am On Aug 28, 2017
If ur engine is still sound, then u r using d wrong oil specification for ur car. But if ur engine is already weak, u'll need to drop to a higher viscosity oil. And when did u start noticing d dry off? Which oil do u use?
Tesiday:
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bbklopsy: 1:16am On Aug 28, 2017
[Are u aware that over 90% of engine oils in Nigerian markets inscribe fake API's just to deceive unsuspecting consumers quote author=LeJeun3 post=59886621]

The API Certification Mark, also known as the “Starburst” An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection standard and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) , a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

[/quote]
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bbklopsy: 1:24am On Aug 28, 2017
Oga what exactly was d difference u noticed. D colour of oil has nothing to do with its quality. Mind u, base oil comes in different colours. For all these a talks about synthetic oils, people should be also aware that it can be harmful to some engines.quote author=senola1 post=59865181]

It is true. The ones you see here in our mobil stations are produced in Egypt and appear a bit darker than the other ones like the Original Toyota synthetic 5w 20/30 which is produced in the US.

I have used both oils over time and i can authoritatively tell you which is better.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 28, 2017
If your car is not designed to use Synthetic oil then changing your oil and filter at periodic rate is all you really need.

If your car needs synthetic oil because it was designed for it, then look up the specifications to make sure that you're buying the correct oil.

Country of manufacturer doesn't really matter. I would use Mobil1 made anywhere in the world as long as it meets the specs for my engine manufacturer.

For my MY09 VW Jetta as an example, here is what Mobil1 says "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets VW 502 00. A 0W-40 viscosity can also be used." While others are jerking off to weights, I'm solely concerned for VW502 in any of those three weights.

PS: If you have a Jetta and you're using dino oil then sorry is your name because no dino oil meets VW50200.

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 11:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
Bbklopsy:
[Are u aware that over 90% of engine oils in Nigerian markets inscribe fake API's just to deceive unsuspecting consumers quote author=LeJeun3 post=59886621]

The API Certification Mark, also known as the “Starburst” An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection standard and fuel economy requirements of the

International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC)
, a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Reason why I don't subscribe to Nigerian oils....

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 11:58pm On Aug 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:
If your car is not designed to use Synthetic oil then changing your oil and filter at periodic rate is all you really need.

If your car needs synthetic oil because it was designed for it, then look up the specifications to make sure that you're buying the correct oil.

Country of manufacturer doesn't really matter. I would use Mobil1 made anywhere in the world as long as it meets the specs for my engine manufacturer.

For my MY09 VW Jetta as an example, here is what Mobil1 says "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets VW 502 00. A 0W-40 viscosity can also be used." While others are jerking off to weights, I'm solely concerned for VW502 in any of those three weights.

PS: If you have a Jetta and you're using dino oil then sorry is your name because no dino oil meets VW50200.

Country of manufacture matters, I beg to differ...

I can tell you the Mobil 1 ESP sold in Nigeria is made in Egypt as is graded such that its temperature requirements do not meet those of the Mobil 1 Extended performance made in the US

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 29, 2017
LeJeun3:

Country of manufacture matters, I beg to differ...

I can tell you the Mobil 1 ESP sold in Nigeria is made in Egypt as is graded such that its temperature requirements do not meet those of the Mobil 1 Extended performance made in the US

You're missing my point.

When I get home I'll be using the locally available oils in my shop and I'll stand by it.

That it's different from USA ones doesn't mean that it's bad for the engine.

Maybe the additives added to the ones in the US are mandated by them to reduce emissions.

As long as you're consistently using good oil, Mobil1 from any country is, good oil filter, responsible change intervals then all this oil talk stuff is waste of time.

I've been in shops that build 1,500 horsepower engines and all they use are Dino oils.

You mostly need synthetic on engines built to tight tolerances. Sure it has superior cold weather performance.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by LeJeun3: 12:12am On Aug 29, 2017

Alright.... Got it.

Said something like that earlier, if you use the most mundane oil and change frequently, you are as safe as using premium and doing bi-annual change

EgunMogaji:

You're missing my point.

When I get home I'll be using the locally available oils in my shop and I'll stand by it.

That it's different from USA ones doesn't mean that it's bad for the engine.

Maybe the additives added to the ones in the US are mandated by them to reduce emissions.

As long as you're consistently using good oil, Mobil1 from any country is, good oil filter, responsible change intervals then all this oil talk stuff is waste of time.

I've been in shops that build 1,500 horsepower engines and all they use are Dino oils.

You mostly need synthetic on engines built to tight tolerances. Sure it has superior cold weather performance.

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by DaV8King(m): 10:24am On Aug 29, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

not available in the nigerian market. it is 5w-40

I dey buy am for Total, Area 11, FCT Abuja.

Unless na me see 40 call am 30. But I am SURE it is 30

*open to correction with proof tongue
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by DaV8King(m): 10:25am On Aug 29, 2017
LeJeun3:

Bros where you see that one buy?!

See post above.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Inception(m): 3:59pm On Aug 29, 2017
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2017
Inception:

grin grin grin

My teeth still dey
tongue

you live to fight another day tongue
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bbklopsy: 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2017
Except you or smone bought it for you abroad, if not, forget what our importers bring into this country. Especially the oils from dubai.most are engine poisons
LeJeun3:

Reason why I don't subscribe to Nigerian oils....

1 Like

Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 7:35am On Aug 30, 2017
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 13, 2020
DaV8King:
Total Quartz 9000 5W-30 is all my engine has ever known.

Following manufacturer's recommendation for your particular car regarding service interval and oil quality will preserve the life of your car beyond measure.
Morning Sir.
Which vehicle are you servicing with total 9000 5w-30?
I am confused on what to use on my accord 2016
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by 9icetoo(m): 7:46am On Aug 13, 2020
Eco2580:

Morning Sir.
Which vehicle are you servicing with total 9000 5w-30?
I am confused on what to use on my accord 2016
Your Accord calls for 5w20. It abounds in Nigeria, from Mobil 1 to Castrol.
There are numerous sellers here too.
Dru23, Gazzuzz, theoilguy etc.
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 13, 2020
9icetoo:

Okay, one more question does outside temperature has anything to do oil weight? I.e the common oil used here is 20w50

thank you
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by Zane2point4(m): 11:02am On Aug 13, 2020
All these oil una deh share for here.
I use mobile 1 ooh.

But my guy wey deh use mobile xhp for his 010 Corolla since 2008 his engine never kaput.
,runs very strong and brings out steam from the tail pipe in the morning.
Infact una fit don work una engine pass that guy wey no sabbi wetin his engine looks like grin

The thing there na oil change at the right time interval.
So how do we explain that abeg
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by theoilguy: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
9icetoo:

Thank you for the mention sir..

Mobil 5w20 extended performance in stock
Re: Article: Why You Should Use Synthetic Oil by theoilguy: 12:38pm On Aug 13, 2020
Eco2580:

Okay, one more question does outside temperature has anything to do oil weight? I.e the common oil used here is 20w50

thank you

Engine oils are designed for universal temperatures.. Nigeria is no hotter than Texas, arizona or Dubai... Yet, they stick to recommended oils.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

AC Causing Over Heating / Ten Tips To Survive Without Okada / Technology Boom: Germany Launch Transparent Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.