Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy (27688 Views)

2019: MIYETTI ALLAH Splits Over President Buhari's Endorsement / 2019: North-West, South-West Lead In Voters Registration / 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by dre11(m): 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2017
•Atiku, Kwankwaso, Dankwambo, others eyeing ticket

•No one above 60 should contest -Area Youths

•Few people can’t dictate who leads us -Junaid Mohammed

By Ayomide Akinkunmi ABUJA

As the 2019 presidential election draws near, there are indications that it will not be a walk over for President Muhammadu Buhari, given his age and failing health which have marred his tenure so far. It might also not be a rosy affair for the All Progressives Congress (APC), a party that seems to have sacrificed much of its goodwill on the altar of failed promises.

Apart from the challenge from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the main opposition party in the country, Buhari is likely going to contend with some “home battles” from some ambitious chieftains of his party who are already waiting in the wings to grab the coveted ticket.

Sunday Telegraphgathered that should Buhari decline to run for a second term on account of age or ill-health, some party stalwarts that might be interested in the presidential ticket include a former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar; former Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso; former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu; current President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el- Rufai, as well as Governor Ibrahim Shettima of Borno State.

Although, none of these presidential hopefuls have openly indicated their interests in the race, their body language as well as the utterances and activities of some proxy groups in support of their rumoured aspirations are indications that they might just be waiting for the blast of the whistle.

The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, a group said to have sympathy for one of the younger presidential hopefuls, had reportedly asked aspirants above 60 years of age to perish the thought of becoming president in 2019.

The group, led by Yerima Shettima, believes that age is no longer in favour of Atiku and Buhari, particularly when the latter was in London for over three months on medical vacation. Other groups such as the Northern Youth Forum for National Development have equally pitched their tents with one shadow candidate or the other.

In spite of the odds stacked against Buhari, Sunday Telegraph learnt that the APC appears favourably disposed to handing him the right of first refusal and will only consider these other aspirants if he declines to throw his hat in the ring.

This divergent views about the health of the President and who should lead the battle against the resurging opposition (PDP) have reportedly divided the political elite and elders from the North. This is particularly so, with the rumoured ambition of other northern opposition figures such as the former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido and Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo, the current Governor of Gombe State.

National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Ahmed Makarfi, had last Friday during a visit to the Aso Rock, told President Buhari, that the opposition party will provide a vibrant alternative and give him a run for his money.

However, a former Governor of old Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, told Sunday Telegraph that he was not aware of the permutations to replace Buhari in the next elections. He also denied knowledge of the so-called division among northern elders. According to Musa, Nigeria was at the crossroads and needed good and sincere leadership to survive even before it gets to 2019.

“When you talk about elders in the North in terms of political power, don’t reckon with me because I am not one of them. I am on my own. I know that I am patriotic but I am on my own. They don’t consult me when they make such plans and I don’t dabble into such things.

“First of all, who tells you that the power will still remain in the North if Buhari declines to run or is compelled by poor health to give up the ticket? Secondly, what does the Constitution say about the situation that the President is now? The Constitution is very clear about it. It is the National Assembly that has the right to probe to ascertain the true state if health of the President and know what to do. So let us leave the matter to the National Assembly.

“Thirdly, let us not be talking about 2019. Let us be talking about how we can survive between now and 2019. If you are thinking that I will be giving you names of possible presidential candidates who might take over the baton from Buhari, then you are talking to the wrong person.

It is the responsibility of Buhari and his party, APC, to know what to do when 2019 comes. As always, my interest is about how Nigerians, whether they are from the North, South, East or West, can have a better country,” he said.

A political analyst and former member of the House of Representatives, Dr. Junaid Muhammed, acknowledged that he had heard some of the names being touted as possible presidential candidates but would rather advise Nigerians to focus on the challenges of the moment.

“I am aware that some of these people have tried to make contacts or whatever but I don’t want to run ahead of the situation we are confronted with as a country. When the time comes for us to cross the bridge, we shall cross it. But at the moment, the problem we are facing is either the President being here physically in charge or accepts that he is incapacitated and therefore submits his letter of resignation. We are hoping that from now until that time comes, the country will have some peace or reasonable understanding amongst ourselves.

“I don’t know the basis upon which you rate elders. We should be careful about what we wish for because I don’t want a situation whereby some people who are either senile or sick would just sit down somewhere and decide the fate of this country. If that is what the so-called northern elders are doing, they should be called to order. It is not in anybody’s interest and not healthy for democracy,” he said.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2017/08/2019-north-splits-buharis-candidacy/

lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Evablizin(f): 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2017
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by fk001(m): 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2017
Even thou i am a great supporter of president Buhari, I like his principles and trustworthiness but i won't advice him to seek for second tenure he should just retire and rest.

I think a vibrant and hardworking someone not above 60 years should continue from where he stops.

God bless PMB

God bless federal republic of Nigeria

Together we will make Nigeria great.

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by emmasege: 2:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
I stand with Dankwambo. It must not always be the north west. The PDP should give the ticket to a north easterner this time around. Besides, the guy is not a bigot and tribalist that is typical of Hausa Fulanis from the north west region. Furthermore, we must break the yoke of 'born to rule' in our land. We are all free borns. An alliance between the north east, north central and the south can stop this nonsense, irrespective of the millions of votes from the underage and Almajiri voters from the region.

In addition, his achievements in Gombe state speak for him. This is the only way to split Buharis vote in 2019 because the north east and north central would definitely prefer to cue behind Dankwambo. And as for the south (including my zone-southwest ), Buhari and his APC should forget about it in 2019.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by reality1010: 2:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
PMB or Tinubu for president!A contest between a sick man and a criminal man.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by deedeedee1: 2:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
Funny country

2 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by kynbasil01: 2:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
D
Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Nutase: 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
Sai baba shocked
Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Nwodosis(m): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
Their only reason for one Nigeria!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by UncleJudax(m): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hahahaha hahaha. Chai! Buhari and second term in the same sentence?

Hahahaha. The drama never ends grin

14 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by pautex: 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
I pray they should allow Bubu to contest then it is over for the North and APC.

6 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Khutie: 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
undecided •••I don't understand this sh*t abuh North and presidency. Ain't there no other tribe in this country? We better name this country "North" since almost all the kings are coming from there.

12 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by itiswellandwell: 2:42pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hmmmmmmm. If capital punishment is applicable for anyone's who embezzle our nationwealth. You wont see our leaders fighting for who to become next president like this. political post wont be that interesting at all.

Check my signature for your Customised ATM card shape flash drive and full capacity powerbank.

3 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Built2last: 2:42pm On Aug 27, 2017
Jokers

2 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by omenkaLives(m): 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
Anyone insisting Baba runs in 2019 is an enemy of state!

We are hoping he completes his first tenure throwing behind bars as many crooks as his health would allow him and some folks are busy rooting for him for another four years!

I have no doubt Ribadu can do this job as well.

These guys need to wake up and give reality a bear hug. angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by SOLMICHAEL(m): 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
fk001:
Even thou i am a great supporter of president Buhari, I like his principles and trustworthiness but i won't advice him to seek for second tenure he should just retire and rest.

I think a vibrant and hardworking someone not above 60 years should continue from where he stops.

God bless PMB

God bless federal republic of Nigeria

Together we will make Nigeria great.
Seconded!!

2 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Smooyis(m): 2:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by feelgoodstuffs(m): 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
We are tired of old cargoes jare undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Zeze06(m): 2:49pm On Aug 27, 2017
cry

Atiku 2019....

1 Like

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
Balarabe Musa has always been a man of truth and sense as evidenced by his submission in this article.
Bubu should go and rest. We do not want illiterates and bigots such as him to run Nigeria anymore. PDPs looting is now cover and excuse for APCs incompetence.
This regime will go on record as the greatest failure in Nigeria's democratic presidential history.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by UncleJudax(m): 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2017
Khutie:
undecided •••I don't understand this sh*t abuh North and presidency. Ain't there no other tribe in this country? We better name this country "North" since almost all the kings are coming from there.
They see you as a second-class Nigerian, and sadly, you have not done enough to make them think otherwise.

8 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by FriendNG: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
emmasege:
I stand with Dankwambo. It must not always be the north west. The PDP should give the ticket to a north easterner this time around. Besides, the guy is not a bigot and tribalist that is typical of Hausa Fulanis from the north west region.

In addition, his achievements in Gombe state speak for him. This is the only way to split Buharis vote in 2019 because the north east and north central would definitely prefer to cue behind Dankwambo. And as for the south (including my zone-southwest ), Buhari and his APC should forget about it in 2019.

You made me laugh. Your problem is NW? Then if you think campaign against NW will make Damkombo president then he will never be.

Kano alone is two million votes. He will also lose in the same northeast to Buhari.

South East and SS hate anything north. The North central will be divided likewise your region will support Yoruba than a Northerner.

if you think by hating NW is wat will giv him presidency then u beta change ur thinking b4 it is too late.

3 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by SirImole(m): 2:56pm On Aug 27, 2017
Who's writing all these conspiracy theories?
Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by malton: 2:57pm On Aug 27, 2017
There was never a time when the North was as divided as it is now, at least in recent memory.

I see cracks everywhere I look.

Among all the potential candidates being touted, I have yet to see any that is capable of pulling massive votes across the northern states like Buhari did in 2015. Not even Buhari himself can replicate that any more.

Most parts of the middlebelt (Benue, Plateau, parts of Nasarawa, Kogi, Taraba, S. Kaduna, etc.) are beginning to see the core northerners as not their people. Besides, I doubt they'd want to experience a Fulani menace with backing from the FG any longer.

This is a great opportunity for the southern part of Nigeria to present a united front. Unfortunately, the Southerners are a lot more divided than the northerners are.

If the PDP is serious about winning back the presidency, then they should present a middle-beltan with good acceptability in the South. That's assuming that the candidate has to be from the north. They should not make the mistake of picking an Atiku, Kwankwaso, or Dankwambo, of whom the only sellable person is Dankwambo. Issue with him is, I doubt the middlebelt and South would want him.

I typed this while watching CHEEVE, pardon me if e no make sense. I nor dey concentrate. cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by SirImole(m): 2:57pm On Aug 27, 2017
PDP may present Dankwambo/Fayose...
Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by cristianisraeli: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
this people are all sick..which kind yeye candidacy bi that...una hear buhari no well..na by force una one kill the man...there are lots of people 1billion times better than the dictator and corrupt buhari...i still prefer atiku..na whatsup northerner

3 Likes

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2017
emmasege:
I stand with Dankwambo. It must not always be the north west. The PDP should give the ticket to a north easterner this time around. Besides, the guy is not a bigot and tribalist that is typical of Hausa Fulanis from the north west region.

Are you sure Yoruba Muslims have an almost romantic love for Buhari embarassed

Even tho sickness don chop im body and he no fine as before, they are still dutiful. Like a wife

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Splits Over Buhari’s Candidacy by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 27, 2017
emmasege:

Dankwambo is good but he lacks visibility. How many Southerners know Dankwambo? Even in the Northeast, he is not well known. Atiku will make a mince of him in the Northeast, not to talk of Buhari.
So you naively think any politician can win the presidential poll without the support of the Northwest? Guy, you need to look at the results of the presidential elections that have been held since 1999.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov. Abubakar Diverted N400 Billion Using Ghost Workers - House Speaker, Dogara / Governor Akeredolu Orders Arrest Of Fulani Vigilante In Ondo / Okorocha Commissions 500 Urban Taxi Cabs(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.