Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (58830 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by eddyline(m): 5:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Oga ,

The daily egg production will serve as his profit for the investment, while the #7.2M covers initial capital outlay after one year.he makes an average of100 crates a day @N500 per crate that's N50,000 income daily for 20days average month production that's N1M *12=N12 M per annum

The N12M is the gross profit by the time he removes cost this guy would be left with nothing less thanN7M ,which manager earns. This in a year.
you are forgetting the cost of daily feed which takes up close to 75% of this daily income
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 6:24pm On Aug 30, 2017
eddyline:

you are forgetting the cost of daily feed which takes up close to 75% of this daily income

First the #7.5M ,cost of feeding would have been incorporated for a certain period, mind you also my egg production revenue was based on 20 days production per month, we still have 10 days production which should be able to take care of feeding since at a stage in the life cycle the feeding cost would be reduced.

However a good financial model will show you that the venture is profitable as all parameters would have been taken into consideration,trust me it's worthwhile, what people are looking at now is for him to start reaping profit immediately,forgetting that he has to break even ,then come the profit , I will see if I have the time to put it in model,

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by benardj3(m): 11:14pm On Aug 30, 2017
takenadoh:

Which maths doesn't add up?

There are 3500 birds

Assuming the birds produce 1 egg per day, lets say 3200 birds *30days/30 (crate) and you sell each crate for 600, so 3200*600 =1.9 M*12 ~~ 23M in one year if we assuming running cost and feed for the year to be 5M +7.5M spent the OP should see a profit of at least 8-11M in one year, that assuming everything goes as planned and he can sell the birds when they reach maturity 3000*1000 = 3M

So the maths adds up, remember there are 3k5 birds but i used 3k2 deliberately and foe reselling of birds i used 3k instead of 3k5.
poultry money can not be calculated like this.... ur calculation is based on 90% productivity....... my bro you can never get 80% for up to a month, you forgot factors like sicknes(which is like every month) treatment reduces productivity, even weather (a rainy day can just reduce their productivity), noise from generators can even affect productivity..... ....i have bn into it for over 15 years....... am not saying Op won't make profit but not the way you think

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by benardj3(m): 11:37pm On Aug 30, 2017
Happyfellow147:
How can you say there's egg glut when egg price increased to #50 from #30?
I'm asking for learning purpose please
serious one....... longest ever, increase in price alone can cause glut .......
cost of production is now very high which prompted the rise in price

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 2:34am On Aug 31, 2017
benardj3:
poultry money can not be calculated like this.... ur calculation is based on 90% productivity....... my bro you can never get 80% for up to a month, you forgot factors like sicknes(which is like every month) treatment reduces productivity, even weather (a rainy day can just reduce their productivity), noise from generators can even affect productivity..... ....i have bn into it for over 15 years....... am not saying Op won't make profit but not the way you think

Well it was a rough estimate and if you look at the next comment I ommited some things but it was to get a vague picture and there were a lot of assumptions. I guess u can call it best case scenario and ofcos there is also going to be a "worse case " scenario. ,but he also said he has managed to agree to sell at 820, while I used 600 for the calculations all these things will affect everything, but at least someone looking at it won't feel he just threw 7.smth M away.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by blessedvisky(m): 12:52pm On Aug 31, 2017
Respect @ strangelandd. Do you have people working for you? If yes how many? And what do you mean by pullet eggs
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Yeogu: 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2017
monchazfarms:
@ OP,first of all,I salute your courage.Secondly,I want to critisizee and aa well pass some vital information /advice to you because that's what you need to become stronger and resilient in your chosen business and I'm doing so because I'm also into the business and has a little advice to offer.

I'll critisize you on the following:
1.You shouldn't have started with point of lay birds if you're a first timer because poultry business is a practical one which requires first hand information and starting with older birds won't let you have the experience you need.

2.Most point of lay birds aren't given the complete and required vaccination and this has a tendency to affect the birds in future if your source is unreliable

3.From your analysis,you started this business this August and that tells you're unaware of the market trends before tasting the depth of the river with both legs: there has been egg glut (excess egg production) in the market since February this year up till now,the worse of its kind.

4.Be ready to battle with any disease(s)/ virus associated with the farm you rented if you didn't fumigate and disinfect the farm before bringing in your birds.

5.Your birds were supposed to attain 1.5kg or 1,500g at 18 or 19 weeks,this implies that your birds weren't properly fed by the sellers/brooders and this might affect the overall performance of your birds.

6.Your choice of business is good,but your timing is wrong.

Now,take these advise:

1.Keep on giving those birds growers until you attain 50% production,it might sound so ridiculous,but it worked for me.This' to enable you have a better uniformity and also allow those lagging behind to attain sexual maturity.If you start giving them layers feed,lots of your birds might not lay.

2.Give them sangrovit @ the recommended dosage for two weeks.

3.Give them viracid and also spray it all around your pen.This sanitizes the evironment and and takes care of virus,bacteria and protozoa;it's very good.

4.Start looking for customers and ask God for divine direction.

5.Always sanitize their drinking water with Isochlor,but don't vaccinate them with sanitized water.E-coli is a deadly water bourne disease that could kill all your birds if you don't pay close attention to their water.

6.Finally,the Lord is your strenght.I admire your courage.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by davidzfarm18(m): 6:52pm On Aug 31, 2017
This is quite excellent. I encourage you to keep the good work and never be distracted by internet farmers.
You will surely reap from ur good efforts. However, permit me to give the following useful advice.
1. You would have benefited from the experience of young and REAL farmers on nairaland. A particular thread 'Starting a poultry farm a blog would have assisted you in making proper decision.
2. The source of your birds is questionable. The birds are below the target weight on arrival at ur farm. Thank God for your good efforts to raise them to the target weight. Next time consult reputable firms
3. Use the net a lot to solve most of the challenges the business will throw at you. By His grace you will not fail.
4. With the nos of birds you have, you will definately need QN experience vet to consult for you. Get one very close to you that is proven and reliable
5. The cost of ur feed is high. Kindly take advantage of bulk purchase. Grower at 3400 is definitely too high.
6. Kindly note that there's no absentee farmer. Else you will be busy investing for your staff.
Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Oluwapresley(m): 8:49pm On Aug 31, 2017
blessedvisky:
Respect @ strangelandd. Do you have people working for you? If yes how many? And what do you mean by pullet eggs
Pullet eggs are the first set of eggs that the birds lay. they are usually very small.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Maqpisces(m): 8:19am On Sep 02, 2017
I can assist you in compoumding quality and yet very cheap feed for your poultry and you wouldnt believe the result. You can contact me on 09075324966 and give it a trial.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangelandd: 4:09pm On Sep 02, 2017
Was reported and banned again. Someone doesn’t like my post. Guess I have to draw the curtains here. Thanks for the support and all, keep the conversation about farming going.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by emmyslimzy: 4:17pm On Sep 02, 2017
@strangelandd you shouldn't stop what you do just cause you face obstacle....a lot of people are looking up to this your post and write up,its being a Wonderful and encouraging one,don't stop please. I await to hear update of your recent success

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 4:36pm On Sep 02, 2017
strangelandd:
Was reported and banned again. Someone doesn’t like my post. Guess I have to draw the curtains here. Thanks for the support and all, keep the conversation about farming going.
i

That's the way we are in this part of the divide,merely showcasing this your business plan/idea you have become a competitor or threat to some people and would go to any lenght yo discourage you from allowing others know the way,the sky is wide enough for every one to fly,

Please be weary of people given you useless business tip/idea as regards poultry farming,I believe before venturing into this line of business you would have undergone some training to equip you with required skills to succeed,Also becareful from taking treatment or drugs recommended from strangers outside your own vets, as you may be suprise the moment your chicks start using these drugs mortality sets in "God forbid"

Please stay focus no becareful, this is the only money I can invest into your business idea, I have seen quite a few things in life people trying to bring your business down out of jealousy.

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by emeka2847: 8:27pm On Sep 02, 2017
Keep it up, and God will bless you effort. I like your confidence.

Please don't be discouraged by e-farmers, and don't go for any offer of alternative cheap feeds. Feeds affect egg production.

All e-farmers, leave this real life farmer alone o. He is doing what we all wish to do some day.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by lanre2009: 1:24am On Sep 03, 2017
So sorry to hear this. You can open a blog from where you continue the discussion....God bless the work of your hands....Cheers!!!

strangelandd:
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by careidon: 6:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
You've come a long way, you are no longer on Strangelandd, you are now re-christened Greenland.
Keep at what you are doing, you've gotten enough advice from others...

mine is just that you enter the CBN poultry supply (guarantee buyer scheme) to get feeds et, al and cut out the 300k plus weekly feed requirement.

But can I gift you a working excel file? I need your input(s) to make it better or suited to ur use/need if you you PM me (I won't mind having a look at yours too)

however anyone needing to capture how much to spend on any number of birds and their feeding from the begining to the desired end (meat/eggs) can use mine (suggestions are welcomed)

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 04, 2017
Hi dear Farmers, could you please try and speak normal English from time to time so we non-poultry farmers can understand what you mean. All this poultry English is really confusing.
Thank you for Feeding us and Well Done.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by miredia(m): 4:13am On Sep 04, 2017
Aizenosa:

In Benin I sell a crate of egg for #850 - #870 wholesale and #1000 retail.
. Now this adds up, not at N600/crate.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 3:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
miredia:

The 600 a crate was just a rough estimate to put a number to things since people were saying the maths doesn't add up
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by mrjojo: 4:56am On Sep 05, 2017
strangelandd:
please continue, please, I ventured into this same egg production farming early this year, and to say it was a big disaster. Lost quite a huge sum albeit learnt some very hard lessons. Your post has been a source of motivation and renewed my interest,please don't stop.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 6:08am On Sep 05, 2017
mrjojo:
please continue, please, I ventured into this same egg production farming early this year, and to say it was a big disaster. Lost quite a huge sum albeit learnt some very hard lessons. Your post has been a source of motivation and renewed my interest,please don't stop.

Please explain causes of your losses and lessons learnt for others to succeed from

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by mrjojo: 9:32pm On Sep 07, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Please explain causes of your losses and lessons learnt for others to succeed from
it a very long story

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 9:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
mrjojo:
it a very long story

Please just bullet point/summarize the story for us to learn

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by mrjojo: 9:40am On Sep 10, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Please just bullet point/summarize the story for us to learn
I trusted my friend who knows more about this than me.

Trusting him enough to make the appropriate plans.
Summary of it all, will edit when am free to explain details

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 10:53am On Sep 10, 2017
mrjojo:
I trusted my friend who knows more about this than me.

Trusting him enough to make the appropriate plans.
Summary of it all, will edit when am free to explain details

Okay then , I thought as much friends will pretend to have your back ,but at the end you discover the opposite is the case here.

I also followed advise of a friend as regards haulaging only for the guy to set me up with my driver who deliberately knock the engine of my truck and I had to source for funds to get a new one ,driver abandoned the truck ,for me to later discover that this friend gave the same driver a brand new truck to be driving for him

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by mrjojo: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Okay then , I thought as much friends will pretend to have your back ,but at the end you discover the opposite is the case here.

I also followed advise of a friend as regards haulaging only for the guy to set me up with my driver who deliberately knock the engine of my truck and I had to source for funds to get a new one ,driver abandoned the truck ,for me to later discover that this friend gave the same driver a brand new truck to be driving for him
hmm, "friends", I haven't learnt my lesson though. I trust people easily, and so called friends have so taken advantage of that. It all good sha, we live, we learn. Pm me, we can share ideas if you don't mind
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2017
mrjojo:
hmm, "friends", I haven't learnt my lesson though. I trust people easily, and so called friends have so taken advantage of that. It all good sha, we live, we learn. Pm me, we can share ideas if you don't mind

Okay

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 12, 2017
Big poultry house with 4000 birds capacity for sale in ibadan.
1 4 rooms
2 1 bath
3 1 toilet
4 borehole water
5 100% secured
6 Good road accessible
7 Good Electricity
8 40 fit high
9 strongest bokoharam net
10 well concrate granite German floor
11. best Aluminum zinc pan
12. well ventilated
on a full plot of land at Apata Asabari area kuola close to akala express ibadan for more pictures and enquiries call 08020917141 or 08024324410
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by fasty: 1:29am On Sep 13, 2017
Mr OP, I can't say more than you are a very courageous and open-minded person, however, Success is a tool that drive enviness to your trial.
Therefore, I will implore you if possible to create a whatsap or telegram group for those that are ready to learn and get inspired from your venture to join...
Thank you once again for your contributions to some people's life, cox DS your post have gone a long way to eye-open many to have interest into poultry venture...
Thanks

If done
You can add me too on 08068967748
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by AKMoney1(m): 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2017
miredia:

Feeding alone will take up to 75% of your profits, and that's if you keep records. If not and your FCR goes wrong, production might take 90% of your profit.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Gpdwise(m): 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2017
larrypourl:

You can't sell old layers for 2k bro talk less of 3k. If you really wanna sell them fast it has to be during Christmas and you sell to the market women within 1 - 1.2k who will then resell too. I'm giving u Lagos price. Who dare buys old layers for 2k?
bro pls I need ur contact pls. U can send me a wasapp 0813938908one
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2017
4000 birds capacity pen for sale in ibadan.
2 rooms
Steady Running well water
100% secured
Good road accessibility
Good Electricity
40 fit high
strongest bokoharam net
well concrate granite German floor
best Aluminum zinc pan
well ventilated
on a full plot of land. (THE PEN IS SITUATED WHERE YOU GET ALL YOU NEED TO RUN YOUR POULTRY BUSINESS EFFECTIVELY AND EFFICIENTLY WHEREBY COST OF PRODUCTION IS LOW �COMPARE TO OTHER LOCATION)
Closer to major feed distributors, 15 minutes drive to all major hatcheries and major livestock markets in oluyole ibadan,closer to major veterinary products distributors, 20 minutes drive from toll gate ibadan at asabari kuola area close to Alao akala express ibadan....Asking price 1.8 million

for more pictures and enquiries call 08020917141 or 08024324410.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Photos Of Harvested Giant Size Cucumbers By YEN President, Benue State Chapter / Man Who Built Barn With 440 Yam Tubers Gets Chieftaincy Title (Photos) / How to Build A Grasscutter Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.