Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,787 members, 7,806,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2730 Views)

How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language / Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2017
How Well do you understand other Dialect of your language?

URHOBO: The urhobo language is spoken in Delta State and Some part of Bayelsa. below are some dialect of urhobo I understand.

General Urhobo : This is the urhobo generally accepted by everyone

Uvwie : the uvwie dialect is spoken in Places like Ekpan, Effurun, Ebrumede e. tc, I clearly understand this dialect even thou am not that perfect, I can communicate clearly with it (Novice thou).

Dialect I Find Difficult to Understand;

Isoko: although the Isoko dialect is a language on it's own, it still remains a branch of the urhobo language.

Okpe: The okpe Dialect is like Spanish to some of us, even fratermathy can't decode it without counting the words grin, the dialect Is closely related to Uvwie and Isoko than general urhobo language.

Fratermathy and Sanchez01 how well do you understand other urhobo dialect?

Onuwaje, since itsekiri has one dialect, how well do you understand ondo and ijebu language?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Tolexander: 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2017
Though there is a "general Yoruba" language (general cos it is the accepted Yoruba language for literature), there are many dialects that I hardly understand if spoken. eg Egba, Ijebu, Akoko, awori, Ilaje and few others I can't recollect.

There are some that I can understand to an extent, eg Ondo, Sarki, Owo.

But anytime and anyday, Yoruba dialects of Ife, Oyo, Ijesha, Ekiti, I will surely understand wherever they are spoken.

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
Tolexander:
Though there is a "general Yoruba" language (general cos it is the accepted Yoruba language for literature), there are many dialects that I hardly understand if spoken. eg Egba, Ijebu, Akoko, awori, Ilaje and few others I can't recollect.

There are some that I can understand to an extent, eg Ondo, Sarki, Owo.

But anytime and anyday, Yoruba dialects of Ife, Oyo, Ijesha, Ekiti, I will surely understand wherever they are spoken.

Ilaje is entirely different from general Yoruba language, I think it's more closer to Itsekiri, so that's the reason you don't understand it.

how is ijebu dialect like? , I heard it's like Chinese to some of you.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

URHOBO: The urhobo language is spoken in Delta State and Some part of Bayelsa. below are some dialect of urhobo I understand.

Uvwie : the uvwie dialect is spoken in Places like Ekpan, Effurun, Ebrumede e. tc, I clearly understand this dialect even thou am not that perfect, I can communicate clearly with it (Novice thou).

Isoko: although the Isoko dialect is a language on it's own, it still remains a branch of the urhobo language.

Okpe: The okpe Dialect is like Spanish to some of us, even fratermathy can't decode it without counting the words grin, the dialect Is closely related to Uvwie and Isoko than general urhobo language.

Onuwaje, since itsekiri has one dialect, how well do you understand ondo and ijebu language?

The Okpe part though. grin

I understand Uvwie perfectly but can't speak it.

That of Okpe... Oh well, it's like German because Spanish is even simpler to learn cheesy

I understand Isoko quite well even though I can't speak it at all.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

That of Okpe... Oh well, it's like German because Spanish is even simpler to learn cheesy

So which one can you now speak? Omo Eko, there is no one you can speak. Be there speaking British English cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Eke40seven(m): 7:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

when I was in Sapele/Oghara area although I didn't pick up much because most people were bilingual in pidgin English. The generally acceptable Urhobo was that from Ughelli. Closer to written Urhobo. People from Oghara/Mosogar/Jese tend to speak a certain dialect while Okpe(Sapele) according to many is an entirely different language. Okpe people understand spoken Urhobo but not so in reverse. I went to somewhere in Isoko with some Urhobo friends then and they conversed in pidgin with the natives. I think abraka is another area with a different dialect cluster.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
Eke40seven:
when I was in Sapele/Oghara area although I didn't pick up much because most people were bilingual in pidgin English. The generally acceptable Urhobo was that from Ughelli. Closer to written Urhobo. People from Oghara/Mosogar/Jese tend to speak a certain dialect while Okpe(Sapele) according to many is an entirely different language. Okpe people understand spoken Urhobo but not so in reverse. I went to somewhere in Isoko with some Urhobo friends then and they conversed in pidgin with the natives. I think abraka is another area with a different dialect cluster.

Abraka dialect is not hard to understand if you can understand ughelli, The okpe dialect is like French to me, in fact I don't understand any shit. lol..
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

So which one can you now speak? Omo Eko, there is no one you can speak. Be there speaking British English cheesy
Sweet Jesus grin

I understand the Central Urhobo dialect, as well as the Isoko language. I understand the Yoruba dialect of the Oyo people, as well as the Ijebu dialect, the Ife dialect, 'Ulesa', the Ilesha dialect, and a bit of Ilaje and Lagos Yorubagrin grin

Ẹ̀yà èdè tí mo gbọ́ pọ̀ grin

We both know the person with the British accent is you cheesy
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

Ilaje is entirely different from general Yoruba language, I think it's more closer to Itsekiri, so that's the reason you don't understand it.

how is ijebu dialect like? , I heard it's like Chinese to some of you.
The Ijebu variation of the Yoruba language is quite funny. You wouldn't have issues understanding it if you indeed understand the Yoruba language.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

you are just deluding yourself, believe me. grin. grin even oga fratermathy don't understand uvwie and isoko. you one form king Kong for here, you make stay lag.

If you can understand uvwie and isoko, then you can understand okpe, Have you listen to some core isoko language?, believe me you won't pick a word.

grin.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

you are just deluding yourself, believe me. grin. grin even oga fratermathy don't understand uvwie and isoko. you one form king Kong for here, you make stay lag.

If you can understand uvwie and isoko, then you can understand okpe, Have you listen to some core isoko language?, believe me you won't pick a word.

grin.
Lol.

I grew up in a complex society in my formative years with the Ilajes, Hausas, Ijaws, Ghanaians and a few Urhobo folks. Interestingly, I bloomed late when I should have started talking. It was more of confusion for me at the time. The funniest part came years later because I could clearly understand them and respond in pidgin or English. Mostly pure English because I can barely speak pidgin for five straight minutes cheesy

I understand Isoko quite well. By the way, is Uvwie the same as Ughweru? Not sure if I got that correctly.
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Sweet Jesus grin

I understand the Central Urhobo dialect, as well as the Isoko language. I understand the Yoruba dialect of the Oyo people, as well as the Ijebu dialect, the Ife dialect, 'Ulesa', the Ilesha dialect, and a bit of Ilaje and Lagos Yorubagrin grin
But you can't speak anyone. Understanding and speaking are different grin

We both know the person with the British accent is you cheesy
I'm mimicking you cheesy
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 8:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Lol.

I grew up in a complex society in my formative years with the Ilajes, Hausas, Ijaws, Ghanaians and a few Urhobo folks. Interestingly, I bloomed late when I should have started talking. It was more of confusion for me at the time. The funniest part came years later because I could clearly understand them and respond in pidgin or English. Mostly pure English because I can barely speak pidgin for five straight minutes cheesy

I understand Isoko quite well. By the way, is Uvwie the same as Ughweru? Not sure if I got that correctly.

nope. not same.

let me test you a little, translate the following in English

Oro'kwa boma' ru'fe (Uvwie Dialect)
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:26pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

But you can't speak anyone. Understanding and speaking are different grin

I'm mimicking you cheesy
Why are you like this? grin

My natural accent is laced with my proud Deltan heritage. So where would I have gotten British accent from? tongue
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

nope. not same.

let me test you a little, translate the following in English

Oro'kwa boma' ru'fe (Uvwie Dialect)
Efe, bia, take ya time o.

How am I supposed to transliterate that? Not sure I'm that efficient with the dialect angry
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:33pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Why are you like this? grin

My natural accent is laced with my proud Deltan heritage. So where would I have gotten British accent from? tongue
Sanchez, sweetheart, you don't have a trace of mother tongue interference. You accent is as flawless as well mixed butter kiss
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Efe, bia, take ya time o.

How am I supposed to transliterate that? Not sure I'm that efficient with the dialect angry
The language be like cuss. Orokwa boma you dia! angry grin tongue
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Lol.

Interestingly, I bloomed late when I should have started talking.

So you started speaking when you were 5 years old?

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

Sanchez, sweetheart, you don't have a trace of mother tongue interference. You accent is as flawless well mixed butter kiss
Now the black man blushes, grin

You just wait for me to serve you the Waffi pidgin tomorrow tongue
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Now the black man blushes, grin

You just wait for me to serve you the Waffi pidgin tomorrow tongue
Oh Sanchez, my heart is doing krim krim cheesy
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

The language be like cuss. Orokwa boma you dia!! angry grin tongue
Chisos! grin

Sweets, which one is that na? grin

You and Efewestern just want to kill me this night. cry
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:47pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Chisos! grin

Sweets, which one is that na? grin

Na language

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

So you started speaking when you were 5 years old?
No shame, baby. No shame at all grin

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

Oh Sanchez, my heart is doing krim krim cheesy
LMAO grin grin grin

Solo tu kiss
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

LMAO grin grin grin

Solo tu kiss
Solo tata kiss
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

No shame, baby. No shame at all grin
You are lucky you weren't born into my household. My mum would have taken you for deliverance tongue

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

The language be like cuss. Orokwa boma you dia! angry grin tongue

Sanchez01 come and carry your wife before she spoil my language.

grin

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

grin
Orokwa boma. Solo tu tongue grin

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by onuwaje(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

I have not heard the Ijebu dialect befre but I believe if i do i will understand

The Ilaje dialect is almost d same with the Itsekiri language..

As for the Okpe part. The thing thick die o

I think the Okpe x Itsekiri use common words/names most of the time because one of my Uncle's name is also an Okpe name.

+I have seen Okpe people bearing Temisan/Tosan

Uvwie Dialect anoda thick one lol...

I also heard Ofoni dialect ia deadlyn too
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Sanchez01: 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
Efewestern:

grin
I just might be the first to use it the way Ishi wrote it. grin grin grin

Ishilove:

Shey you want to start cheating? You want to tell me you don't know solo tu means 'only you' in Spanish? This is how you'll start using someone's heart to play lawn tennis. angry
Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Efewestern: 9:09pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ishilove:

lol, believe me I no sabi wenti b solo tu, Sanchez can help with the translation. and you and that Sanchez of a guy should look for where to play your love.

no come occupy illegal Space, grin

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? by Ishilove: 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Shey you want to start cheating? You want to tell me you don't know solo tu means 'only you' in Spanish? This is how you'll start using someone's heart to play lawn tennis. angry(
Not table tennis...badminton tongue

Solo tu, now and always wink kiss kiss kiss

We have derailed this thread enough with our love talk. Let's meet in the other room to continue... arguing. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Yoruba Iwo King Akanbi That Sleeps With Men & Does Fraud - [EXPOSED] -part 1 / Abami Eda / (official) Iwo Get New King. (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.