Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? (25030 Views)

Polaris Bank Contract Staff Threaten Strike Over Salary Disparity / Pay Slip Of UBA Contract Staff Who Earns ₦‎45,000 Monthly / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by EniolaEwa(f): 11:20am On Aug 29, 2017
Good morning....I just got out of school so I applied for a job pending when I will go for service, I applied somewhere and they told me I can only be given a contract position, I need to know what a contract staff mean and the advantage and the disadvantage....I'm waiting thanks

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by eezeribe(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2017
First of all,move your thread to career section...
Then check Google and Wikipedia...
lalasticlala,Mynd44

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by EniolaEwa(f): 11:28am On Aug 29, 2017
eezeribe:
First of all,move your thread to career section...
Then check Google and Wikipedia...
lalasticlala,Mynd44
thank you for your contribution I know Google and Wikipedia exist before coming here

103 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by avictor05: 1:34pm On Aug 29, 2017
A contract staff is on an agreement with a company and doesn't receive the benefit other workers enjoy. but y do u need a job when u can sit and think something for urself.

see my signature.

13 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Khutie: 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2017
I think yhu will be an employee who works under contract for a specific time. More like yhu re hired. A contract staff like yhu, does not become a regular addition to the staff and is not considered a permanent employee. There will be agreed payment from the both parties tho.(Yhu and the employee).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Dubby6(m): 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2017
Is Google down?
angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Wobegist: 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2017
Just how you can interpret the two words in your understanding...

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by afuye(m): 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
By being a contract staff, u are subject to certain conditions not applicable to regular full staff of the organisation, sheikenah. The condition which may be peculiar to different organisations

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by phpfx(m): 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:
thank you for your contribution I know Google and Wikipedia exist before coming here

lmaoooo

see person wey need help

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by phrancys001(m): 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
Work U like a slave and pay U like ant.

26 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by ignis: 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
Contract staff is a waste of time and destiny.
My advice is Run Run Run for your life.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by CJERRYEMILEX(m): 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
Relevant comments above has answered your question

Furthermore by being a contract staff it means you are working at the will of your employers, you have no right other than what is stipulated in the terms of the contract of your employment and usually under this type of employment the employers will prepare the terms of the employment solely which favours them and when you sign, it is binding and you can be relieved of the employment at any time, because you are not a permanent staff. There is nothing bad and it has no effect which is beyond the employment.

TO KNOW MORE ON EMPLOYMENT READ FUTHER

Now there are 3 types of employment
* EMPLOYMENT WITH STATUTORY FLAVOURsademployment backed by the Law in which an employee can not be dismissed or tamper at the will of the employer) Eg Civil service, public Service.

*EMPLOYMENT UNDER CONTRACT: (Master Servant relationship) in which the employment is determine by the terms of contract if there is no agreed term the Employer has right to do what ever he likes at will even to the extent of waking up and dismiss the employee without any reason and the Law in this situation can not be of any help. Because you cannot force a willing servant on an unwilling Master.

*EMPLOYMENT AT PLESURE OR WILL OF THE EMPLOYER:, in this type of employment the employee is working at the will of the Master and the Master can do whatever he likes and at any time concerning the employment.

TERMINATION OF A MASTER AND SERVANT EMPLOYMENT

A master can terminate the employment of his servant at any time and for any reason or for no reason at all provided the termination is in accordance with the terms of the contract of employment the motive for such termination is irrelevant. See Osianya v. Afribank Nig Plc. (2007) 6 NWLR (Pt.1031) 565 (SC).

TERMINATION OF WRITTEN CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

Where there is a written contract of employment, it is outside the province of the Court to look anywhere for terms of termination of the contract, other than in the written contract. See: Katto vs. C.B.N (1999) 6 NWLR (Pt. 607) 390 at 405, paras. D-F.

The terms and conditions of contract of employment are the substratum of any case where the issue of wrongful termination of employment calls for determination. The importance of the terms of a contract of service in determining the question of termination of the contract was emphasize as follows by Mohammed JSC in Ifeta v. Shell Pet. Dev. Co. Ltd (2006) 7 MJSC 121 at page 133, para. G
"In the determination of this issue, I need to emphasize the bindingness of the terms of the contract of service between the parties. There is no doubt that the parties’ freedom of contract carries with it the inevitable implication of sanctity of their contracts. This means that if any question should arise with respect to the contract, the terms in any documents which constitute the contract are, invariably, the guide to its interpretation. On this premises, the material question is; what did the parties in the instant case agree with respect to the termination of the contract of service”
In the absence of a written contract of employment either of the parties could abrogate the contract on a week’s or a month’s notice, or on payment of wages for a week or a month or whatever was agreed period for payment of wages.

That is the Law in Nigeria !!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Humanace: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
It simply means u not a permanent staff and not entired to benefit of a full stay like pension and monthly salary ..your pay might be on comission and your position will be judged by your contribution to the company growth ..

I hope that helped

15 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by winkmart: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
Funny
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by blackbeau1(f): 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
A contract staff has limited time with the company. You'll be told how long the company needs your service and how much they are wiling to pay. At the end of said number of years, your job is either terminated or the contract renewed.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by laclass(m): 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
It means ur not a permanent staff ,they r hiring you for a period of time and can lay you off anytime they like without benefits..

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
Easy ...i dey come first

The term contract means that you are a subordinate to a Staff.
You are Staff by half
Your entitlement is more than half of Staff
You would work hard like an 18th century slave in America

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by itiswellandwell: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
In other words, it means A TEMPORARY STAFF!!!!!!!! But, you can grow to become a PERMANENT STAFF which you will move from there to become a JUNIOR STAFFF, thereafter SENIOR STAFF, thereafter other higher rank post which depends on the organisation.
The above stated involves endurance, hardwork, deligence and other good traits which will make the organisation see you ideal to be promoted.

Lastly, make your findings as some organisation can use one's life and generational life in CONTRACT STAFF POSITION ALONE. All the best.

Check my signature for your customised ATM CARD SHAPE FLASH drive and full capacity powerbank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by DonaldJTrump: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
:oit means that, your a contractor. you will always collect contract from them sad
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by eanestca(m): 1:38pm On Aug 29, 2017
contract staff is the guy that does the cooking but gets to eat the burnt part simply because he or she Is not blood related.
he also gets the blame when things go bad in form of lay offs
contract staff has no hope of becoming a family member.

in all honesty its a terrible place to be but offers opportunity to learn the job

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Help4rmme2u(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2017
As a Contract staff you are not fully employed in that organisation which you find yourself.

You work only when your services are required.

You will receive a lesser pay, compared to those whom are fully employed.

I hope this helps undecided

Mean while check my signature,,,
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by bany88(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2017
It means you will not enjoy the benefits of a full staff
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Johncuppa(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2017
With your status, what kind of job do you want in the first place?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Nigeman: 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2017
Means you are a bloody casual

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by spoilerx: 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2017
depends.

if na bank , it means u r a slave for the bank.

8 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Slayer2: 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
V
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by BrightEye(m): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
wallahi , i also need answer to this question.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Mopolchi: 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
not a good experience. I had such experience and wont like having it unless in NNPC or DPR or WAEC.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by talk2saintify(m): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
imagine

EniolaEwa:
Good morning....I just got out of school so I applied for a job pending when I will go for service, I applied somewhere and they told me I can only be given a contract position, I need to know what a contract staff mean and the advantage and the disadvantage....I'm waiting thanks

When yhu are on a Contract Job yhu work for a Period of years Say: 5years

After 5 Years yhur job Will Be terminated

Example: Npower

to my Own Understanding
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Taich(m): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
Well is a good thing that the job is not permanent. U can do it and gain knowledge with shitty pay attached to it. As a contract staff in most Nigerian set up, u are a second class citizen, u r not entitled to most of the perks of the Job but u are entile to maximum work load. U r not covered by most of the labour laws because u r a contract staff. Like I said, do it for the knowledge and experience.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by flyca: 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
It's government way of running away from responsibilities - the responsiblity of taking care of its citizens.

So they sublet their roles to private companies aka recruitment agencies. Who will not be accountable for staff welfare such as lunch, breaks, healthcare, annual leave, pension etc.

Some private companies use this "contract position" to exploit staff all because the government havs never lived up to its responsiblity of taking care of their own.

That is why we have contract this, contract that! Contract sweepers too! Only in Nigeria! Contract my foot! Don't you resume when others resume? Don't you close when others close? Some contract staff even work more than full staff sef!

This contract nonesense should be abolished in Nigeri. Hoha!

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policewoman Hailed For Controlling Traffic Under Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt / Four Million Nigerians Became Jobless In 2017 - National Bureau Of Statistics / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.