Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission (4046 Views)

Seeking University Admission Without JAMB/UTME / Undergraduates On Industrial Training or still seeking for placement. / Admission Opportunity For Student Seeking University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Thesaint1(m): 5:03pm On Dec 18, 2005
ADVICE! I AM 30 YRS OLD, LOOKING FOR ADMISSION

Hi, i have this question which I want anybody to give answer to. After my secondary education some years back (1993). I was told by my father that am now on my own, since then God have being helping me. I was given a scholarship to study Secretarial Studies, in one private continuing education centre by my Pastor in my church and after completion I started working as Secretary/Computer Operator and ever since I have not get satisfaction in all my work, all my mind is in going back to school. So I later started working towards it, to get all my paper and all I could but all my effort has not yield since, by December this year am now 30 years, and I still apply for admission at UNIPORT and there is this delay about post UME jamb result, on whether to use or not. In fact I am just confused. People started telling me this is a waste of time and stupid idea since am going to leave my work and do it full time, who is going to sponsor me?

Though all this never moved me, because i believe God is still alive. But this delay in admission have been making me think otherwise may be I should just look for another better job or continuing in admission stuff, even my family were against it, they want me to get marry and settle down now.(which is not as easy as they think)

Can somebody advise me, whether to go on with my admission plan or to drop it. Every meaningful contribution will be highly appreciated.
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by cushman(m): 5:17pm On Dec 18, 2005
Bros, just continue with your education for learning is a continous process
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by rilla64: 12:32pm On Dec 19, 2005
Having been thru a similar experience all i can advise u to do is a part time program in any university eg lasu.So u can work at the same time.
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by rilla64: 12:52pm On Dec 19, 2005
Having been thru a similar experience all i can advise u to do is a part time program in any university eg lasu.So u can work at the same time. It may cost u more but u must rise to the challenge. Those who i have given this same advise are now enjoying themselves.
Dont stop working, just study at the same time and believe me it beats waiting yrs for Jamb. Full time study will waste your time cos u are also working. If u get your admission, go for it but if u dont then you know what to do.
Hope this helps
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by rilla64: 12:52pm On Dec 19, 2005
Having been thru a similar experience all i can advise u to do is a part time program in any university eg lasu.So u can work at the same time. It may cost u more but u must rise to the challenge. Those who i have given this same advise are now enjoying themselves.
Dont stop working, just study at the same time and believe me it beats waiting yrs for Jamb. Full time study will waste your time cos u are also working. If u get your admission, go for it but if u dont then you know what to do.
Hope this helps
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by IAH(f): 7:25pm On Dec 19, 2005
Please find something better to do with your life. Don't go another 4+ years chasing up a degree.
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2005
Ideas:
- Follow rilla's suggestion and take a part-time degree.
- Entrepreneurship, the route I have chosen, can make you a rich man after some years of struggle. Plus: if you're rich and independent, apparently smart and you speak good English, wife materials won't really care that you don't have a degree. This route is only recommended for desperate and hardworking people.

Life is to short for you to be pretending that your destiny is tied to a degree from just any University. What do you really love to do? Tell us and we'll have more ideas to share with you. There are so many opportunities yet to be tapped in this country of ours as long as everything remains peaceful.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Thesaint1(m): 4:02pm On Dec 29, 2005
Thanks everybody for your advice, I think i can pick something. I actually apply for admission with UNIPORT I wrote the post ume test, and till now we've not heard anything abt the admission list. Some say they have cancelled it, some say by January. I just pray something work out, or anybody in the house who know latest about the admision in UNIPORT can let me know.

Life is to short for you to be pretending that your destiny is tied to a degree from just any University. What do you really love to do? Tell us and we'll have more ideas to share with you. There are so many opportunities yet to be tapped in this country of ours as long as everything remains peaceful.[i][/i]

Thanks seun for this piece, i think what I love to do is what I trained for, I am a trained secretary, I can type faster, operate computer and into music (though in church), and also love to talk to people,like giving advice and love to solve life problem as it happen to humans in my little way.

Do you have anything to share with me? I will really appreciate your ideas. You can even send a personal email to me on saintadeyemii@yahoo.com
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by sbucareer(f): 6:56pm On Jan 06, 2006
Bill Gate, Dell computer and lots of then where college or high school drop out but that did not deter them from their ambition. A man without ambition is dead anyway. http://www.zpub.com/un/bill/. University is NOTHING these days.

A man with CCNA/MCSE would command fantastic salary to their degree counterpart. Richard Branson did not go to school and yet he can manage investment worth billions.

I remember at uni I was 22yrs then NOT 30yrs, because if I were; uni would be least of my worries. As of marriage, if you have money and generally a good man any woman will love you. One of the elements of marriage is to have child(ren)and bring them up in a modern society with your money you can do that.

Former British Prime Minister John Major did not go to university; he was a teacher in Nigeria. I remember my lecturer saying that these days, there are three people that will domain the world.

1. Data worker
2. Knowledge worker
3. Intelligence worker

He did not say university worker. We had the Stone Age, Bronze Age, and industrial age and now we are in information age. Many professional thinks that the next age is artificial intelligence age, a subset of information age.

Let me ask one question to everyone why do Nigeria graduates always seek for employment after graduation? We can be entrepreneurs. We don't even study want we love just what everyone is studying and hence do not have passion and interest in it, apart from making money from it.

Finally, uni or no uni a failure will always remain failure while a success will always remain successful.

1 Like

Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by sbucareer(f): 8:45pm On Jan 06, 2006
I found this article and would like to share it http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Gates.Mirick.html
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by bebe6(f): 6:01am On Feb 04, 2006
If you desire to continue with your education sweetie, then please do so. It won't be a waste of time.
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Thesaint1(m): 1:49pm On Feb 04, 2006
I thank everyone for their reply on this thread. I just got admitted to Uniport and I have made up my mind to go for it no matter what happen. I just need your prayer and encouragement.

Though success in life is not attached to Certificate, but I beleive also that neither is failure also attached to Certificate, God has a purpose for everyone created on earth. I strongly beleived that there is something for me in University Education, I may not know exactly, but I strongly have faith in it.

Thanks everyone God bless u.

1 Like

Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by bebe6(f): 12:43am On Feb 05, 2006
Congratulations and Good Luck!
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by sbucareer(f): 1:49am On Feb 05, 2006
Go for it and good luck in all your academic endeavors.
Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Hotstepper(f): 3:58am On Feb 05, 2006
congratz ooo.....i like ur last post and all da wordings dere.......................good luckkk..age doesn't matter in education..just enter when u have da change and capability 2.........ma dad got his PHD b4 he was 30 but den wat...watz life datz alll..he had da opporunity den and went 4 it and her is urs so go 4 it and all da best.. make us proud ooooooooo tongue

2 Likes

Re: 30 Years Old and Still Seeking University Admission by Orobert: 10:35am On Mar 07, 2009
Dont forget to follow peace with all men. WIsh u the best

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Fedpoffa 2015/2016 Admission / Funniest Conversation I've Read On Nairaland. / This Handsome Young Man Died Few Hours After Writing His Final Exams Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.