Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,753 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

The Happening - My Short Scene - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Happening - My Short Scene (457 Views)

My Short Stories Collection / A Foreign Literature Class Will Be Treating My Short Story. I'm Amazed. / Which Is The Better Back Cover Design For My Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Happening - My Short Scene by Ribajae(m): 11:42pm On Aug 30, 2017
Hey guys, i write, or more like used to write... Here is a short piece i wrote some time ago, its not the end but i just want to see how it is from your opinion

The Happening
Sunday came fast, too fast, he didn’t even want to think about it - all those moments anticipating a certain hour. He tried to slow down but James thought it foolish.
“Why not get this over with”, he often said.
But the feisty and hasty attitude was always the cloak over James’ anxious self. They were both shaky and shaking, but why won’t they, the thought that they would die, that he would die was unthinkable. This could be his last day, and they would part forever…. ‘Life isn’t fair’, he thought.
“Bleep it James”, he blurted out as he hit the brakes hard, almost sending James into the hard panel in front of him. “I can’t think anymore”.
“Jesus Idris! I definitely agree with that, I almost broke my head you know”, James face was a handsome combination of humour and anger focused at Idris.
“Sorry bro, but I can’t believe he is going to die”.
James let out a big sigh, one that was heavily accumulated.
“Me too, he’s just my favorite”.
“I guess he wouldn’t, but they would”
“And how do you know that?” James asked with a brow lifted lightly.
“Dude, when we watch films, shit never happens remember”, he stretched out his fist firmly after effortlessly closing his mouth, which was bumped hard by another fist.
“Geez, dude, your hands are shaking”. James laughed hard as he stared at his very close friend.
“Speak for yourself, not like you’re not scared”.
“Dude hit the wheel, wait, hope you don’t send this fresh boy into a ditch nearby”.
Idris gave him a hard empty stare, his jokes were becoming blunt and more annoying.
“Bottom line James is, we’re late already”, he said while turning on the engine.
“We’re always late bro, that’s why we never catch those dope chics”.
“No, it’s just because Idris keeps on hanging out with James”.
“What did you fucking say?”, James looked hard at Idris, looked at a boy who didn’t even try to respond to his feigned annoyance. Idris calmly steered the wheel as he moved the car into the road once more.
“You know we are in Nigeria, and that is the opposite of respect, which is mandatory here”.
“Respect, my girlfriend”
“Your girlfriend is a donkey?”
“Bleep you Idris, just keep fucking driving”.
He was actually, but not definitely noticing his mouth slightly humming the theme song of their anticipated film. James did though but only smiled as their car drove past many vehicles. The power of Death forest he thought such a mystery. Silence was in unison and not even broken when their car steered into the parking lot, not even when they took the lift they were so accustomed to, not even when the film on the big white substance started, after all, this was what their whole weekend was about, Finley hill must not die.

They were freaks, only that they had names, Idris and James, for some, freak alpha and freak beta. Born in Nigeria but raised in the U.S, Idris and his close counterpart had mainly multimedia as their third party. They both lived together in a comfortable flat in Victoria Island, thus propelling their viewing scenes to be feasted in the popular Silverbird cinemas as they were now. It takes great dedication and tolerance for many to inculcate a character into their lives, but this duo was so comfortable with their condition. Their eyes blank, head straight, their brain effortlessly stored all the action they were witnessing immediately. It was a horror film after all, attachment could be dangerous.
Death forest was a movie which people get plunged into a wide, mighty forest, which individuals have to survive all including themselves for reasons oblivious to many including Idris and James.
It had been a major part of their lives since Idris’ eleventh birthday, the continuous series of Death forest had parted a space so deep within them they couldn’t but fathom its major protagonist exempted forever.
Idris moved his head side to side as he silently observed his tranquil surrounding. He and his ally sat at the very top of the seat column. He was younger but definitely sharper than James.
“James, I see no moving body, head or hands”, he silently whispered.
“Dude, you gotta see this, the girl’s gonna die by the axe”. James’ head was glued to the big screen, anticipating the next action.
“That’s the point, dude, no scream, no gasp, nothing”.
But there was no reply, James wasn’t even flinching. They had watched this series so many times, if there should be a scream of fear, it was definitely not from them.
‘This is strange, this is strange’, Idris muttered to himself.
The axe eventually came down with a head rolling off, still no scream. It was just seconds later after when few people seating positions were adjusted. Idris cautious eyes didn’t miss it, so his body correspondingly calmed down, they were people here after all, maybe just freaks like him.
Finley hill was running, his legs fast, his breath steady, his eyes focused, it wasn’t just his eyes that were focused, the whole hall stared at his body moving in the thin board. He was determined not to die, he had outlived Death forest many times before, this would not be his last time.
“He looks faster”, a big headed lad whispered.
“Why won’t he, the forest looks more dangerous”, replied another fellow.
Then he fell.
The entire multitude gasped, it wasn’t expected, and definitely wasn’t wanted. James screamed, Idris’ eyes seemed to burst, but that didn’t help Finley hill. He furiously tried to bring his huge body up, but one dreadful thing to do in Death forest is to fall, twines and vines would rapidly hold one so still, as the ‘pursuer’ would solemnly approach the victim.
‘No, please not Finley’, James was almost crying, he wanted a wonderful cinema experience filled with survival memories, not one abused with a horrid death. Idris’ eyes were already misty, his head banged, his teeth were chattering. It would be summarized in a minute, Finley’s fate would surely be his too.
Finley was human after all, so his brute strength couldn’t suppress the mighty straps that withheld him so sharp to the floor. He shouted, moved, rasped, but it wasn’t helpful or resulting. Death was strange to him, but so was it to all that died with this scenario.
Silent footsteps approached the survivor, hands so strong it could hold a sharp metal so big, face like that of a monster, his presence so demanding and oppressing. His victim struggled bitterly, his eyes widely opened, gave a ghastly stare, he was afraid of dying, especially to the axe.
The pursuer pressed Finley down with his mighty foot, he showed no emotion as his hands readily anticipated the lashing cut, he was after all, so used to this lingering moment.
“Please no, please no, please”, James was already crying, he couldn’t imagine Finley’s head detached, rolling lifelessly. He was even on his knees, hands cupped in prayer to whichever God controlled the world of movies. His heart raced, his breath was heavy, Idris stood up, he wasn’t much of a talker, he didn’t have the words to utter. Tears rolled out too, he watched solemnly, like a child looking at its departing mother, as Finley’s fate rested on a heavy monster’s palm. This could not happen.
The Axe went up.
The hall was silent, the air was moist, and the pain was unbearable. Idris rested his wet palms, he couldn’t look, it was going to happen. Finley hill, a character so loved by him, a character that would die by the axe.
James still cried, still wept uncontrollably, this was everything, he didn’t care if he overreacted, this was his life, his joy. His moth quivered as words sparingly emerged. All would be over soon, he only wished for a better death for Finley, a more befitting sleep for a survivor who had given their life a joyful spark. His eyes shook violently, watching every iota of detail that would come after.
“Rest in peace, Finley”, came a silent whisper, one so filled with emotion.
And then.

Well..... How was it. would still finish it though, if recommended.

(1) (Reply)

Speed Writing Competition (for Fun) / Simple Writing Tips You Might Find Useful as a Budding writer / Google Celebrates Achebe's 87th Posthumous Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.