Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,518 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

The Word For Today - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30329 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:32am On Oct 28, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

KEEP YOUR SPIRITUAL GLASSES CLEAN

Saturday, 28th October, 2017

'Be clean, you who bear the vessels of the Lord.' Isaiah 52:11 NKJV

One day a man was getting his windshield washed at a filling station. When the attendant finished, the man said, 'That's a terrible job. Redo my windshield - it's as dirty as when you started.' So the attendant wiped it again. The man looked it over and in frustration said, 'That window hasn't changed a bit.' The man's wife was sitting next to him in the car. She reached over, pulled off his glasses, wiped them, and gave them back to him. The attendant had been doing his job correctly. The man himself was the problem all along.Spiritually speaking, the glasses you're looking through determine what you see, and how you see it. When you look through the lens of jealousy and envy, you become resentful of the blessings of others. When you look through the lens of judgmentalism, you speak and act without mercy and grace. When you look through the lens of fear and unbelief, you limit God and forfeit what he can do for you. When you look through the lens of selfishness, you put yourself first and your loved ones suffer. When you look through the lens of negativity and cynicism, people begin to avoid you because you're not enjoyable to be around. 'Be clean, you who bear the vessels of the Lord' (Isaiah 52:11 NKJV).Just as your glasses need to be wiped clean from the contamination around you, so do your heart and mind. How does this happen? Jesus said, 'You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you' (John 15:3 NIV). Through prayer and daily Bible reading, your perspective on life is kept right.

Soulfood: Is 30-33, John 6:35-51, Ps 104:24-35, 2
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WORDS TO LIVE BY IN TROUBLED TIMES 1

Sunday, 29th October, 2017

'The Word of our God stands forever.' Isaiah 40:8 NKJV

For the next few days let's renew our minds with some of the wonderful promises God has given to us through his Word. Let's not just read them casually, but process them slowly, deeply, prayerfully and repeatedly, letting the truth of them change our thinking and strengthen our faith.(1) 'No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord' (Isaiah 54:17 NKJV). (2) 'The Lord... is with you; never again will you fear any harm... He is mighty to save. He will...deal with all who oppressed you' (Zephaniah 3:15-19 NIV). (3) 'Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king... With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us... fight our battles' (2 Chronicles 32:7-8 NIV).And some more promises: (4) 'My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my... fortress, I shall never be shaken' (Psalm 62:1-2 NIV). (5) 'Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank him for his answers. If you do this you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand' (Philippians 4:6-7 TLB). (6) 'For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord' (Romans 8:38-39 NKJV).

Soulfood: 2 Kings 6:8-23, Matt 5:43-48, Luke 6:27-36
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:38am On Oct 30, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WORDS TO LIVE BY IN TROUBLED TIMES 2

Monday, 30th October, 2017

Are you ready for more of God's wonderful promises?

(1) 'Let all those who...put their trust in you rejoice...because you...defend them; let those also who love your name...be in high spirits' (Psalm 5:11 AMP). (2) 'The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; he will thrust out the enemy from before you' (Deuteronomy 33:27 NKJV). (3) 'The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knows those who trust in him' (Nahum 1:7 NKJV). (4) 'Fear not... for I am with you... I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you... I will hold you up... with my [victorious] right hand' (Isaiah 41:10 AMP). (5) 'You protect them by your presence from what people plan against them. You shelter them from evil words' (Psalm 31:20 NCV).

(6) 'Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever' (Psalm 23:6 NLT). (7) 'The Lord stood at my side and gave me strength... The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom' (2 Timothy 4:17-18 NIV). (cool 'Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you' (Psalm 9:10 NIV). (9) 'This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness' (Lamentations 3:21-23 NKJV). (10) 'In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety' (Psalm 4:8 NIV).

Soulfood: Is 34-37, John 6:52-59, Ps 9, Prov 28:13-16
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:35am On Oct 31, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WORDS TO LIVE BY IN TROUBLED TIMES 3

Tuesday, 31st October, 2017

Here are some more wonderful promises from the Bible that you can rely on when trouble comessad1) 'Because you have made the Lord... your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; for he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways' (Psalm 91:9-11 NKJV). (2) 'The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them' (Psalm 34:7 NIV). (3) 'I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed' (Psalm 57:1 NIV). (4) 'The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit' (Psalm 34:18 NIV). (5) 'The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer' (1 Peter 3:12 NIV).And yet some more promises: (6) 'He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me... he rescued me because he delighted in me' (Psalm 18:16-19 NIV). (7) 'Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light' (Micah 7:8 NIV). (cool 'You will have courage because you will have hope. You will take your time and rest in safety. You will lie down unafraid, and many will look to you for help' (Job 11:18-19 TLB). (9) 'Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us' (Ephesians 3:20 NIV).SoulFood: Deut 18:9-18 Dan 2 Isa 47:5-15 Acts 16:16-34

Soulfood: Deut 18:9-18, Dan 2, Is 47:5-15, Acts 16:16-34
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:16am On Nov 04, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

BE A SHAMGAR 3

Saturday, 4th November, 2017

'Shamgar...saved Israel.' Judges 3:31 NIV

If Shamgar had focused on the fact that he was going up against six hundred Philistines, he would probably have given up before he even started. Understand this: Satan will try to discourage and defeat you by making you feel overwhelmed by the problem. That's when you need to counterpunch, by breaking down your goals into smaller steps. You will not be able to overcome your addiction, anxiety, or anorexia for the rest of your life in one day, but with God's help you can win one small battle today.

Don't worry about next week or next year. Live in day-tight compartments. Can you resist temptation for twenty-four hours? Can you win the battle for one day? You know you can. And so does the enemy. So take it one day at a time. We spend far too much energy focusing on the very thing we can't control - the outcome. You say, 'What if I fall back into my bad habit? What if my romantic efforts aren't reciprocated? What if I don't hit my target weight or get my dream job?' Jesus said, 'Don't be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time' (Matthew 6:34 TLB).

The manna the Israelites received in the wilderness arrived daily, not weekly or monthly. Why? Because God wanted them to live in total dependence on him. God's grace, not your own works, is the key to victory. The word for you today is: 'His compassion never ends. It is only the Lord's mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his loving-kindness begins afresh each day... therefore I will hope in him' (Lamentations 3:21-24 TLB).

Soulfood: Is 45-48, John 7:14-24, Ps 30, Prov 28:25-28
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:04am On Nov 07, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LEARN TO MEDITATE ON GOD'S WORD

Tuesday, 7th November, 2017

'On his law he meditates day and night.' Psalm 1:2 NIV

Butterflies cover more ground, but bees gather more honey. That's because the butterfly just flies over the flowers, whereas the bee lands on each one and stays there long enough to extract the nectar. That's the difference between merely reading your Bible for a few hurried minutes, and taking time to meditate on what you're reading.

Meditation isn't something difficult and mysterious that only scholars and 'spiritual' people do. It's just thinking deeply and continuously about a passage of Scripture, memorising it, letting it take root, and 'owning it' until it becomes a life force operating within you each day. The point isn't how much Scripture you memorise, it's what happens to you in the process. Meditating on God's Word clarifies your understanding and corrects your conduct. It enriches your thinking and equips you by making you think different thoughts than if you were watching TV, for example, or texting, or talking on your mobile phone, or shopping.

The psalmist writes: 'The law of the Lord makes them happy, and they think about it day and night. They are like trees growing beside a stream, trees that produce fruit in season and always have leaves. Those people succeed in everything they do' (Psalm 1:2-3 CEV). Meditating on God's Word is the cure for moral and spiritual weakness; for a life with no focus; for a lack of intimacy with God; for chronically weak faith that causes you to fail and keep missing God's best. So open your Bible, read it, and pray, 'Lord, what are you saying to me?' Then meditate on his answer.

Soulfood: Is 53-57, John 7:33-44, Ps 15, Prov 29:4-6
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:18am On Nov 08, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

RIGHTEOUS ANGER 1

Wednesday, 8th November, 2017

'Be angry, and do not sin.' Ephesians 4:26 NKJV

There's a right way and a wrong way to handle your anger. Moses handled his anger the wrong way and it cost him the Promised Land. Jesus handled his anger the right way, and those who took advantage of the poor were exposed and thrown out of the temple. The Scripture, 'Be angry, and do not sin' (Ephesians 4:26 NKJV) means instead of just complaining about the problem, you're supposed to do something about it. Instead of walking around on a slow burn and keeping those around you on pins and needles, get to the core of your anger and express it the right way.

Pastor and author Dr Jack Hyles wrote about how his child was assigned to read a book in school - one that was filled with foul language and questionable situations. The more Dr Hyles perused the book, the angrier he got. Eventually he marched up to the principal's office and politely but firmly said, 'My son is not going to read this book: he'll be assigned a different book to read, and he will not be marked down because of it.' The principal, taken aback and attempting to argue with Dr Hyles, said, 'But...' Dr Hyles interrupted and said softly but sternly, 'No ifs, ands, or buts about it. He will not be forced to read this book, and he will be assigned another one. Is that clear?' The principal replied, 'All right, Dr Hyles, but I don't understand the fuss. After all, the language in that book is no worse than what's written on the bathroom walls.' Dr Hyles smiled and said, 'Yes, and when that becomes required reading - I'll be back!'

Soulfood: Is 58-62, John 7:45-53, Ps 115, Prov 29:7-10
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

RIGHTEOUS ANGER 2

Thursday, 9th November, 2017

'Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil.' Isaiah 5:20 NKJV

Did you know that God himself gets angry? The Bible says, 'The Lord became angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned from the Lord God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice' (1 Kings 11:9 NKJV). Often change begins with righteous anger. Aristotle once said: 'Anybody can become angry; that's easy. But to be angry with the right person... to the right degree... at the right time... for the right purpose, and in the right way ...that's not easy.' But it is possible! A person who always gets angry is foolish, but a person who never gets angry is lacking in moral courage. Henry Ward Beecher said: 'A man who doesn't know how to be angry, doesn't know how to be good. A man who doesn't know how to be shaken to his heart's core with indignation over things evil, is either a fungus or a wicked man.'

Here are four things that we ought to get angry over: (1) A sex-crazed, profanity-filled movie and television industry that's polluting the minds of young and old alike. (2) Cowardly politicians who do what's politically expedient instead of what's morally right. (3) Injustice done to others because of the colour of their skin or their economic status. (4) Your children when they openly defy you.

However, a word of warning: 'Don't go to bed angry' (Ephesians 4:26 CEV). So, clearly explain the rules of the house, consistently enforce those rules, but make sure that your child knows you love them and have only their best interest at heart. They may not understand it at the time, but they will appreciate it later.

Soulfood: Is 63-66, John 8:1-11, Ps 99, Prov 29:11-14
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:59am On Nov 11, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

OVERCOMING YOUR FEARS 1

Saturday, 11th November, 2017

'You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.' Job 11:18 NIV

Famous people throughout history have suffered from phobias. Napoleon III was crippled by ailurophobia, an irrational fear of cats. Queen Elizabeth I was allegedly terrorised by anthophobia, an abnormal fear of flowers. Billionaire Howard Hughes was practically incapacitated by mysophobia, a pathological fear of germs. Both Edgar Allen Poe and Harry Houdini are believed to have suffered from claustrophobia. Even the father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, is said to have wrestled with agoraphobia, a fear of crowds and public places.

The trouble is that many of us deny dealing with any kind of overwhelming fear, and rarely consider it a serious problem. But the fact remains that our fears hinder us on our journey towards change, and unless we face them we'll never reach our God-given potential. Maybe you don't view the thing that's bothering you as a fear at all. It could be a feeling or situation you habitually avoid, or leave to others to handle.

Whatever it is, the only way to overcome it is to call it what it is, confront it, draw on God's strength, and make a decision to change. And today he offers you his strength to do it. Here's a promise you can stand on: 'You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and... rest in safety' (Job 11:18 NIV). Where does that promise originate? The Bible - God's infallible Word! And here's another 'fear not' promise: 'Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand' (Isaiah 41:10 NKJV).

Soulfood: Rom 3:21-6:23, John 8:31-41, Ps 83:1-8, Prov 29:19-22

Credit: Grace So Amazing Foundation
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

OVERCOMING YOUR FEARS 2

Sunday, 12th November, 2017

'They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfas 112:7 NIV

Let's take a look at some of our most common fears and how we can overcome them.

Fear of failure. This is the most common fear of all, and it keeps us from fulfilling any vision God may give us. If you look closely at the actual consequences of failure, chances are you'll laugh at the power it wields. Not only are your mistakes survivable, they're teaching tools that sharpen and make you a better person. So what if you make a mistake during your presentation? Nobody's going to shoot you, right? So what if you miss the mark on the project, or make a mistake in your calculations? We all want to be perfect, but the fact is we're all flawed. In reality, your irrational fear of failure and your refusal to embrace mistakes create far more errors in the long run. When people refuse to accept the possibility of making a mistake, often they're reluctant to have someone else check their work or review the project they're working on. Consequently, they end up making more poor choices and mistakes, which in turn feeds their existing insecurities.

The path to success is through multiple failures. Failing doesn't make you a failure, quitting does; not learning from it does; refusing to get back up when you fall does. The psalmist says, 'They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord' (Psalm 112:7 NIV). Using the gifts God has given you, step out and take a risk based on faith, trusting him for success. If you do, 'You will have good success' (Joshua 1:8 NKJV).

Soulfood: 2 Kings 5:1-27, Matt 6:19-34, Acts 5:1-11, Acts 5:1-11
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:41am On Nov 14, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY FOR THEM

Tuesday, 14th November, 2017

'Remember... those who are mistreated.' Hebrews 13:3 NIV

The Bible tells us, 'Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters' (Hebrews 13:1 NIV). Then it gets specific: 'Remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering' (Hebrews 13:3 NIV).

On 18 April 2007, three Christians in Turkey were killed for their beliefs. Necati Aydin was one of them. He was a 35-year-old pastor in the city of Malatya, and Max Lucado tells his story: 'By the time Necati reached the office, his two colleagues had already received visitors; five young men who'd expressed an interest in the Christian faith. But the inquisitors brought more than questions. They brought guns, bread knives, ropes, and towels. The attackers brandished their weapons and told Necati to pray the Islamic prayer of conversion: "There is no God except Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet." When Necati refused, the torture began. For an agonising hour the assailants bound, interrogated, and cut Christians. Finally, with the police pounding on the door, they sliced the throats of their victims. The last word heard from the office was the cry of an unswerving Christian: "Messiah! Messiah!" Such stories have a way of silencing us. This morning's traffic jam is no longer worth the mention... Such stories make us ask ourselves: "Would I make the sacrifice? Would I cry out, Messiah! Messiah? Would I give up my life?"'

When we complain about frivolous things, you have to wonder. The Bible says you're to pray for your fellow Christians around the world who are suffering 'as if [you yourself] were suffering' (Hebrews 13:3 NIV).

Soulfood: Rom 9:17-11:36, John 9:1-12, Ps 23, Prov 30:1-4
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:22am On Nov 15, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHY GO TO CHURCH

Wednesday, 15th November, 2017

'Christ loved the church.' Ephesians 5:25 NIV

The story's told of a mother, who woke her son one Sunday morning and said, 'Get up - you're late for church!' He replied, 'I don't want to go. I've no friends there, the music's awful, and the sermons are boring!' The woman replied, 'You've got to go - you're the pastor!' Seriously, why should you go to church? Because 'Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish' (Ephesians 5:25-27 NIV).

Pastor and President Emeritus of Taylor University Dr Jay Kesler gives us five reasons for going to church: (1) It's the only organisation that still deals with issues like salvation, death, judgment, grace, purpose, Heaven and hell. (2) It adds value and dignity to human life. We live in a secular culture that contributes to our sense of inner worthlessness. The church counteracts this negative message by preaching God's love and acceptance. (3) It provides a moral and spiritual compass. Society has revised, resisted, and rejected absolutes, embracing relativism, but the church stands on the timeless bedrock of God's Word. (4) It's where you find compassion, healing, and community. There - we're all on par. There - God's Spirit is working to knit us together as believers, guaranteeing us all 'access... to the Father' (Ephesians 2:18 ESV). (5) Unlike other institutions, it has motivated the most lasting, unselfish, essential, courageous endeavours on earth. Things like missions, schools, hospitals, food pantries, rehab centres and orphanages.

Why go to church? Because Jesus loves the church - and so should you.

Soulfood: Rom 12-14, John 9:13-23, Ps 8, Prov 30:5-6

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:34am On Nov 17, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CONFESSIONS OF A SECRET SINNER 1

Friday, 17th November, 2017

'There is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.' Luke 12:2 NKJV

Inspirational speaker Julie Ann Barnhill writes: 'I tend to be a stealthy sinner - a cloistered screw-up. Most of my life I've managed to fly under the radar... to keep 99.9 per cent of such things hidden. As someone who attended church and appeared to manage a happy family, I avoided glaring attention to the shadow-side of my life - but at great cost. Lying about my spending led to financial problems in my marriage. Covetousness robbed me of friendships and contentment. The teenage anger that sent me reeling in fits of self-mutilation, exploded years later in outbursts of abusive anger towards my children. And when alcohol beckoned during periods of loneliness and depression, I heeded its call.

Maybe you're thinking, "So, you've told us a few secrets from your life - they don't compare to mine." Seeing who has the most horrifying secret isn't the point; we need to embrace the truth that we aren't alone in our secret places... Confession for confession's sake easily turns into tabloid moments like daytime talk shows. It's not enough to spill the beans. Genuine confession leads to radical forgiveness that's only available through Christ. It covers whatever we've done, no matter how bad it is. Jesus knows our secrets and they can never stop him from loving us. They can, however, create a barrier between us and the shame-free life he desires for us. We confess our sins so we can find redemption, rescue and eternal life. We share our secret places with trusted friends so we might know the reality of divine healing through flesh-and-blood relationships with those we love.'

Soulfood: Ecc 1-3, John 10:1-10, Ps 81, Prov 30:11-14
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:58am On Nov 18, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CONFESSIONS OF A SECRET SINNER 2

Saturday, 18th November, 2017

'You will never succeed in life if you try to hide your sins.' Proverbs 28:13 GNT

Julie Ann Barnhill continues: 'The "father of lies" (John 8:44 NIV) wants us to believe there are things we've done that can make God's love for us end. And on occasion I've swallowed three of his favourite lies. Lie number one: You're the only person who ever did that. Few things can send me down the road of condemnation and guilt like anger issues... While outwardly I came across as "together", I knew the verbal and physical boundaries I crossed behind closed doors. I confessed to friends, hoping to hear I wasn't alone. But there was dead silence, and the enemy whispered, "I told you nobody else had done those things. You're beyond help." I believed this until God drew me back to Bible truths I learned and believed since childhood. (a) If I confess my wrongs, he'll forgive me time after time. (b) If I allow him, he'll change my thought patterns and strengthen me to do what's right. (c) And even if I fail, Jesus remains faithful; it's impossible for him not to... Three years later... before a packed audience, I told hundreds of mothers where I'd been, and assured them they weren't the only ones who'd said, done and thought whatever they were currently beating themselves up about. Women lined up to speak to me. Some stood quietly with their heads bowed. Others fought to maintain their composure as the enemy's lies were exposed and defeated... I never grow tired of hearing another [person] say, "Thanks for being honest!" The Lord has shown me I'm not the only one who's done the things I've done.'

Now that's real freedom!

Soulfood: Ecc 4-6, John 10:11-21, Ps 76, Prov 30:15-17

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CONFESSIONS OF A SECRET SINNER 3

Sunday 19th, November, 2017

'You will rebuild those houses left in ruins for years.' Isaiah 58:12 CEV

Lie number two: God won't use you now. Julie Ann Barnhill continues: 'Women long to have their lives count for something more eternal than their jean size, or updated qualifications on a CV. Yet many times we judge ourselves by these superficial standards. Think of all the times you've gazed in a mirror and despised the woman staring back at you; times you've bought into the lie that because of your failures God can't use you. I'm living proof that he can and does use us despite our past mistakes. David said when "I confessed my sins... You forgave my guilt" (Psalm 32:5 NCV). The worst sins in Scripture can never drive a wedge between you and Christ's love, if you confess them and seek forgiveness. God's truths can dispel the enemy's deceit.' Take hold of his promise that you will rebuild the ruins of your life (see Isaiah 58:11-12)

'Lie number three: When people find out what you've done, they'll never love, understand, or forgive you. Some you considered friends may leave... It happened to me... Friends dropped me when they learned the depth of my messes. And I once dropped a friend after learning some uncomfortable details about her life. Friends come and go, but a true friend sticks by you like family (see Proverbs 17:17). I wasn't faithful to my friend, but Jesus always is. Time and again he promised never to leave us.' Even 'if we are not faithful, he remains faithful, because he cannot be false to himself' (2 Timothy 2:13 GNT).

Soulfood: Deut 9:13-29, Dan 1:3-21, Luke 4:1-13

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:44pm On Nov 22, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE

Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017

'God blesses everyone who has... common sense.' Proverbs 3:13 CEV

The key to success lies in doing the right thing at the right time. Theologian Tryon Edwards said, 'Have a time and place for everything, and do everything in its time and place... you'll not only accomplish more, but have far more leisure than those who are always hurrying.'

If you're tired of living with constant stress, theology professor Dr Howard Hendricks draws our attention to four major sources: (1) Saying yes to far too many things. Dr Lewis Sperry Chafer once said, 'Much of our spiritual activity is little more than a cheap anaesthetic to deaden the pain of an empty life.' All our 'going and doing' fails to address our core emptiness. (2) Not stopping to recharge our batteries. We dutifully pull out our day planner and fill the spaces between activities. But let's not fool ourselves; avoiding overlapping activities isn't planning. As a result, we're a stressed-out, short-tempered crowd, commuting between poorly planned activities that add little to our spiritual well-being. (3) Failure to enjoy what we accomplish. 'A desire accomplished is sweet to the soul' (Proverbs 13:19 NKJV). With always too much to do, we dash off to the next obligation, often without finishing the previous one or taking time to stand back and savour a job well done. No wonder we worry that our existence seems meaningless. (4) Owing more than we can repay. Next time you're faced with a credit card purchase - wait! Don't necessarily say no. Just present your so-called 'need' to God and see what he says about it.

If you're serious about developing your spiritual life, use your common sense and put these four principles to work.

Soulfood: Gen 1-3, John 11:1-16, Ps 102:18-28, Prov 30:24-28

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SMALL THINGS MATTER

Thursday, 23rd November, 2017

'Who has despised the day of small things?' Zechariah 4:10 NKJV

When God gave Gideon victory over the Midianites, he used an army of just three hundred to defeat an enemy that swarmed like an uncountable cloud of locusts (see Judges 7). That wasn't because there weren't more soldiers available; it was because God wanted to demonstrate his power in 'the day of small things' (Zechariah 4:10 NKJV). Jesus could have chosen any number of followers, but he handpicked twelve to reach the world with the Gospel. One day he fed five thousand people with five bread rolls and two small fish from a child's lunchbox. He compared God's Kingdom to a mustard seed - a tiny speck, yet it grows into a sprawling bush. He also likened his Kingdom to yeast that's barely discernible, yet it can raise an entire batch of dough. Then he went on to say, 'Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much' (Luke 16:10 NIV).

So, if you're asking God to make you bigger instead of better, you may be disappointed. All the prayers in the world won't pressure him into giving you what you are not ready to handle. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said, 'Most people would succeed in small things if they weren't troubled with blind ambition.' Your drive to be bigger can give you ulcers, keep you awake at night, and stop you from enjoying the blessings God has already given you. Better may be harder to measure and not as glamorous, but the inner stability that comes from gradual success is more valuable and lasting.

So if you're in 'the day of small things', rejoice and be confident that God has bigger and better things in mind for you.

Soulfood: Gen 4-6, John 11:17-27, Ps 150, Prov 30:29-33
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:07am On Nov 24, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRACTISE HUMILITY

Friday, 24th November, 2017

'Clothe yourselves with humility.' 1 Peter 5:5 NASB

The Bible says: 'Clothe yourselves with humility... for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble... humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you' (1 Peter 5:5-7 NAS).

Let's break this Scripture down into four parts: (1) 'Clothe yourselves with humility.' In this context the word clothe refers to a white scarf or apron that was typically worn by servants. Does that mean you have to conform to everybody's wishes? No; if you do that everybody else may like you but you won't like yourself. Just be who God called you to be, and be willing to serve others as the opportunity arises. (2) 'God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Humility isn't thinking less of yourself; it's thinking of yourself less and putting others first.

(3) 'Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you at the proper time.' Throughout Scripture 'the mighty hand of God' symbolises two things: God's hand of discipline and his hand of deliverance, and you need both. So submit to his discipline and you'll experience his deliverance. (4) 'Casting all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.' Here Peter addresses one of our core human concerns: that if we don't look out for ourselves nobody else will. But if we really believe God 'cares' for us we needn't worry about serving our own interest. We're free to focus on the needs of others, confident that God will spare nothing when it comes to meeting our needs.

Soulfood: Gen 7-9, John 11:28-37, Ps 114, Prov 31:1-5
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:59am On Nov 25, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD LOVES THEM YOU MUST TOO

Saturday, 25th November, 2017

'God... doesn't think anyone is unclean or unfit.' Acts 10:28 CEV

From a Jewish point of view Cornelius, a Gentile, was a bad guy. He ate the wrong food, hung out with the wrong crowd, and swore allegiance to the wrong leader: Caesar. He didn't quote the Torah or descend from Abraham. He was uncircumcised, unkosher and unclean. Yet he did two things that got God's attention. He prayed for spiritual enlightenment, and he was generous to the poor and needy. The Bible says he was 'one who feared God with all his household... gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always' (Acts 10:2 NKJV).

Up until this point the Gospel had been preached only to the Jews. But God was about to change that. And to do it he used Peter, one of the most religiously-biased people you'd ever meet. In a vision, God showed Peter a sheet being let down from Heaven; it was filled with all kinds of food Jews are forbidden to eat. Peter protested, 'Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean' (Acts 10:14 NKJV). And since Peter was slow to understand, the sheet was let down three times. Finally a voice from Heaven said, 'What God has cleansed you must not call common' (Acts 10:15 NKJV). As a result, Peter went to Cornelius' house and preached the Gospel. And before he could issue an invitation, the Holy Spirit fell on all who were present, confirming that this was God's will. At that point Peter declared, 'God has shown me that he doesn't think anyone is unclean or unfit.'

Let God show you that too!

Soulfood: Gen 10-12, John 11:38-44, Ps 118:1-9, Prov 31:6-9

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SPIRITUAL GROWTH 1

Sunday, 26th November, 2017

'In due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.' Galatians 6:9 NKJV

A high-rise construction worker slipped and fell from a scaffold forty floors up. As he was plummeting past the twentieth-floor window, a woman in an office shouted out, 'How are you doing?' The man replied, 'So far, so good!'

Seriously, some days spiritual growth feels like two steps forward and three steps back. It doesn't come easily; that's why Paul encourages us not to lose heart. Generally speaking, you don't notice yourself getting older physically until you see an earlier photo, then it hits you. And it's the same with spiritual growth; it's often hard to gauge how far you've come until you look back and see where you were before Jesus turned your life around. The Bible says, 'As the Spirit... works within us, we become more...like him' (2 Corinthians 3:18 TLB). But growing up involves growing pains! So when you get discouraged, remind yourself that you're on a spiritual journey, you're making progress in spite of your problems, and that the devil will always look for ways to remind you how far you still have to go. Don't listen to him! Jesus said, 'Everything he says is a lie' (John 8:44 CEV). If you get discouraged and give up, Satan wins.

The Bible says, 'Capture... rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ' (2 Corinthians 10:5 NLT). Learn to live beyond your feelings, to dig down inside to where God's Spirit lives. And take heart: it may not always look like it, but each day you're maturing and growing stronger in Christ. So don't even think about quitting.

Soulfood: Exo 17:1-7, John 4:1-42

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:17pm On Nov 27, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SPIRITUAL GROWTH 2

Monday, 27th November, 2017

'When we grew up, we quit our childish ways.' 1 Corinthians 13:11 CEV

People with strong faith can make you feel 'less than' when you compare yourself to them. Joyce Meyer writes: 'I admired those faith heroes whose flowery testimonies hung around the ceiling, like steam gathering in a shower. They seemed so changed, so sure, so stable. I thought God's love was doled out according to a merit system. If I did well today, he loved me. If I failed, he didn't. What a roller coaster! I didn't realise everything that's born needs time to grow and develop into maturity. I was expecting an immediate, powerful, all-inclusive metamorphosis that would transform me into perfection.'

Do you feel that way, as if there is something wrong with you because you never seem to measure up? If so, read this: 'When we were children, we...reasoned as children... But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways' (1 Corinthians 13:11 CEV). You start as a spiritual infant, then you become a spiritual child, then you become a spiritual adolescent, and eventually you become a spiritual adult. But you never 'arrive'. And quick-fix, do-it-yourself righteousness will just make you try to impress others with a false sense of holiness. It will stop you from being honest before God and make you think you should be farther along than you are for your spiritual age.

Do you remember when you were a child and you dressed up in your mum's high heels or your dad's work boots? No matter how much you wanted to fit into them, you couldn't. That didn't mean there was something wrong with you; it just meant you were exactly where you should have been for your age.

Soulfood: Gen 13-16, John 11:45-57, Ps 118:10-18, Prov 31:10-13

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:33am On Nov 29, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS

Wednesday, 29th November, 2017

'The borrower is servant to the lender.' Proverbs 22:7 NKJV

Here's an idea for getting out of debt, and staying out. Instead of referring to it as your 'credit card', start seeing it as your 'debt card'. Next time you have an 'itch' to purchase something you don't need or can't pay for, that may just stop you from 'scratching' it. People generally fall into three categories: (1) the haves (2) the have-nots (3) the have-not-paid-for-what-they-haves.

The story is told of a handyman who'd been called out to a millionaire's mansion to refinish the floors. The rich man's wife said, 'Be especially careful with this dining room table. It goes back to Louis XVI.' The handyman said, 'That's nothing. If I don't make a payment by next Friday, my whole living room set goes back to the furniture store!' They say the average person today drives a bank-financed car, with petrol they bought on a credit card, to a department store to open another store account, so they can fill their house that's mortgaged for thirty years to the bank, with furniture that's been purchased on an instalment plan. Now, the Bible doesn't condemn credit, but it cautions us about the use of it. 'The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender' (Proverbs 22:7 NKJV).

It's ok to borrow for necessities, but you should always pay for luxuries. So if at all possible, pay cash or don't buy it. 'The wicked borrows and does not repay' (Psalm 37:21 NKJV). It's not wrong to borrow money, it's just wrong to borrow money and not repay it. So the word for you today is: learn to live within your means.

Soulfood: Gen 20-23, John 12:12-19, Ps 146, Prov 31:18-21

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:49pm On Dec 04, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'LORD WHAT SHOULD I DO' 2

Monday, 4th December, 2017

'God is working in you.' Philippians 2:13 NLT

Another way in which God will lead you is: through the inner promptings of the Holy Spirit. As a parent, you wouldn't allow your children to get into trouble if you could stop them - and neither would God. 'For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him' (Philippians 2:13 NLT). God will give you a desire to do his will, plus the power to carry it out.

You ask, 'But how can I know God's voice?' Through time, through testing, through experience, and most of all through intimacy with him. When a loved one calls you on the phone, they don't have to say, 'Hello, this is your husband or your wife calling.' You know their voice! And learning to recognise the inner promptings of the Holy Spirit is crucial, because much of the time you won't be able to figure it out. 'The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way' (Proverbs 20:24 NLT)? When all is said and done, you will say, 'Honestly, I didn't figure this thing out. It must have been God.'

The longer you walk with God the less you'll know about why he leads as he does, but you'll know with assurance that he does lead you. Knowing that is what will draw you back to him time and time again to seek his guidance. The apostle Jude said, 'I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith' (Jude 1:3 NIV). Those words - 'I felt I had to' - are nothing less than the inner promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Soulfood: Gen 30:25-31:55, John 13:18-38, Ps 2, Ecc 3:1-4

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'LORD WHAT SHOULD I DO' 4

Wednesday, 6th December, 2017

'Along unfamiliar paths I will guide them.' Isaiah 42:16 NIV

Another way God will lead you is: through confronting your fear and taking a step of faith. Are you feeling uncertain or afraid as to God's will in the situation? His promise to you is: 'I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them' (Isaiah 42:16 NIV). Pay particular attention to the words: 'unfamiliar paths'... 'darkness'... 'rough places'. When you've sought God's guidance through the Scriptures, when you've tried to listen to the inner promptings of the Holy Spirit, and when you've reached for the wisdom of trustworthy people, then you must step out in faith and do what you believe God is calling you to do.

It's one thing to ask, 'Lord, what should I do?' It's entirely another thing to ask, 'Am I willing to do it once you make it clear?'

Try to answer these two questions: (a) What makes risk so difficult for you? Be honest. For most of us risk and change are uncomfortable, challenging and even threatening. That's why the Bible says, 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding' (Proverbs 3:5 NKJV). If you've been in the habit of leaning on your own understanding, it's a hard habit to break. Now, God doesn't say, 'Don't use your understanding'; he says, 'Don't lean on it - lean on me.' (b) Are you willing to make a major change in your life - assuming that it's the Lord's will? You must answer these two questions. And not until they are answered correctly are you ready to move ahead.

Soulfood: Gen 35-36, John 15:1-27, Ps 147:12-20, Ecc 4:9-12

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:28pm On Dec 07, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SEVEN SCRIPTURAL STEPS TO SUCCESS

Thursday, 7th December, 2017

'He was... successful... because he obeyed the Lord.' 2 Chronicles 31:21 CEV

Here are seven Scriptural steps to success in life: (1) Put God first. He wants you to succeed; what good parent wouldn't? So work on your relationship with him. 'Now acquaint yourself with him... thereby good will come to you' (Job 22:21 NKJV). (2) Help others to become successful. 'Whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord' (Ephesians 6:8 NKJV). Don't just be interested in yourself, become interested in others too. (3) Create a climate of confidence around you. As long as you keep speaking words of doubt, you'll never experience victory. Remind yourself that your 'sufficiency is of God.' (2 Corinthians 3:5 NKJV)

(4) Stay informed. 'A wise man will hear and increase in learning' (Proverbs 1:5 NAS). Observe, read, and grow. If you're willing to pay money for a good meal but not for a good book, perhaps you value your appetite more than your intellect. (5) Picture yourself attaining your goal. Think and talk success. Moses did that: 'Moses didn't give up but continued as if he could actually see the invisible God' (Hebrews 11:27 GWT). (6) Write down your plan and establish deadlines. Make a detailed list of required activities, and set checkpoints. Guard your mind and prioritise your time. Make 'the very most of the time [and] opportunity' (Ephesians 5:16 AMP). (7) Set a realistic goal. And work towards it one priority at a time. Many things in life fail for one reason - broken focus. So avoid distractions: 'A double-minded man is unstable' (James 1:8 KJV).

If you do these seven things, you'll succeed in life.

Soulfood: Gen 37-39, John 16:1-15, Ps 148:1-6, Ecc 5:1-3

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:51am On Dec 08, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LABOUR AND LAZINESS

Friday, 8th December, 2017

'Hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.' Proverbs 14:23 NIV

In the book of Proverbs, Solomon uses the word sluggard no less than seventeen times. A sluggard isn't a person who would work but can't find a job; a sluggard is a person who could work but won't. The story is told of a fellow who applied for assistance at the welfare office. The official asked, 'Why do you need financial aid?' He replied, 'Because I'm having trouble with my eyes.' The official asked, 'What's the nature of your eye trouble?' The man replied, 'I just can't see myself going to work every day.' And every sluggard has eye trouble. Or it doesn't bother him as long as somebody else is doing the work.

President Theodore Roosevelt was right when he said: 'Extend pity to no man because he has to work. If he's worth his salt, he'll work. I envy the man who has work worth doing, and does it well... far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.' Somehow we've lost the spirit, if not the letter, of President Roosevelt's thinking. Ask any employer and they will tell you that someone who'll work, work hard, do the job right and finish the task, is getting harder to find.

God's not against leisure. A worker who's rested and refreshed will be a better worker. Solomon's contrast in the book of Proverbs is between labour and laziness. Parent, one of the best things you can do for your children is to pass a strong work ethic on to them, and set them up to succeed in life.

Soulfood: Gen 40-41, John 16:16-33, Ps 148:7-14, Ecc 5:4-6

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:03am On Dec 09, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T BE A HYPOCRITE

Saturday, 9th December, 2017

'All their works they do to be seen by men.' Matthew 23:5 NKJV

Here's a working definition of the word hypocrisy: 'to be seen by men'. Jesus had a no-tolerance policy when it came to hypocrisy. Why? Because he knew it turns people against God.

Instead, he taught: (1) Expect no credit for your good deeds. None. If no one notices, you aren't disappointed. If someone does, you give the credit to God. Stop and ask yourself this question: 'If no one knew of the good I do, would I still do it?' If not, you're doing it 'to be seen' by people. (2) Give your financial gifts in secret. Money stirs the phony within us. We like to be seen earning it. And we like to be seen giving it. So Jesus said, 'When you give to someone in need, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing' (Matthew 6:3 NLT). (3) Don't fake your spirituality. When you go to church, don't select a seat just to be seen, or sing just to be heard. If you raise your hands in worship, raise holy ones, not showy ones. When you talk, don't doctor your vocabulary with trendy religious terms. Nothing nauseates more than a fake 'Praise the Lord', or a shallow 'Hallelujah', or an insincere 'Glory be to God!'

Ever watch children in a playground shouting, 'Watch me!' That's acceptable because they're still immature, but it's not acceptable in God's kingdom. Silence the trumpets. Cancel the parade. Enough with the name-dropping. If accolades come, politely deflect them before you believe them. Slay the desire to be noticed. Stir the desire to serve God. In other words, don't be a hypocrite!

Soulfood: Gen 42-43, John 17:1-26, Ps 95, Ecc 5:10-12

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:51pm On Dec 10, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T 'GO IT ALONE'

Sunday, 10th December, 2017

'"It is... by my Spirit," says the Lord.' Zechariah 4:6 NLT

Zerubbabel was called to rebuild the temple. It was a huge undertaking, so God told him, '"It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit," says the Lord... "Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel's way"' (Zechariah 4:6-7 NLT).

When God calls you, you need to know: (1) You may have to walk alone. When God uses you, people often assume you're strong and don't need anything. They don't realise you're just a regular person who's half scared to death at times, and who's more amazed by your success than they are. And when nobody stands with you or ministers to you, you become vulnerable to discouragement. (2) You need God's help or you're in trouble. Samson discovered this: 'He awoke from his sleep and thought, "I'll go out as before and shake myself free." But he did not know that the Lord had left him. Then the Philistines seized him' (Judges 16:20-21 NIV). God stepped back and let Samson see that it was the Lord doing it, and not himself. So you must live with a sense of dependence on God.

(3) It's God's power, not yours, that makes the difference. If you're waiting for God to give you exceptional equipment before you decide to get into the fight, you're not going to experience victory. God's 'strength is made perfect in weakness' (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV). The way you know you're truly anointed is when God takes substandard equipment and performs supernatural feats. And that only happens when you say, 'Lord, I don't see how You could do this through me, but I'm trusting You to.' That's when he gets involved!

Soulfood: 1 Kings 17:17-24, Mark 5:21-43, John 11:1-45

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:00am On Dec 13, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO WHAT GOD HAS TOLD YOU 3

Wednesday, 13th December, 2017

'Noah walked with God.' Genesis 6:9 NKJV

What went through Noah's mind when God told him to build a boat in the middle of dry land? Nobody had ever done it before. Yet the Bible says, 'Noah did everything just as God commanded him' (Genesis 6:22 NIV). How did he do it? Answer: 'Noah walked with God' (Genesis 6:9 NKJV).

Walking takes place step by step. The trouble is, we want God to reveal the second step before we take the first step of faith. But until we take the first step, he won't reveal the next step. We've got to be obedient to the measure of revelation he has given us, if we want more of it. That's why we get stuck spiritually. We only want to follow Christ to the point of precedence - the place where we have been before - but no farther. We're afraid of doing what we've never done before because it's unfamiliar territory. So we leave unclaimed the new gifts, new anointings and new dreams God wants to give us.

You've got to push past the fear of the unknown. You've got to do something different. The African impala can jump three metres high and ten metres long, yet it can be contained in a small enclosure with 1.2 metre high walls. Why? Because it will not jump if it cannot see where it's going to land. We have the same problem, don't we? We want a money-back guarantee before we take a leap of faith, but that eliminates faith from the equation. We are called to 'walk by faith, not by sight' (2 Corinthians 5:7 NKJV). So the word for you today is: do what God has told you.

Soulfood: Gen 50, Hag 1-2, John 19:1-17, Ps 18:1-29, Prov 26:24-27

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO WHAT GOD HAS TOLD YOU 4

Thursday, 14th December, 2017

'Noah found favour in the eyes of the Lord.' Genesis 6:8 NIV

You ask, 'What is the favour of God?' It's God doing for you what you cannot do for yourself. It opens doors of opportunity. It turns opposition into support. It can help you land a promotion, make the list, or seal the deal.

The Bible says, 'Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and men' (Luke 2:52 NIV). Note, just as you can grow in wisdom and stature, you can also grow in favour with God and men. So instead of being content with the level of favour you enjoy, ask God for an increase. You ask, 'How do I find favour?' Obedience! It begins by surrendering your life to Christ. 'No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly' (Psalm 84:11 NAS). And God's favour is not limited to the spiritual realm; it extends to the material realm as well. In Noah's life, it translated into ingenious inventions. He didn't just build the first boat and pioneer the shipbuilding industry, he also made many technical discoveries. According to Jewish tradition, Noah invented the plough, the scythe, the hoe and a number of other implements used for cultivating the ground. The favour of God translated into good ideas.

It doesn't matter what you do, God wants to help you do it. He wants to favour your business plan, your manuscript, your lesson plan, your legal brief, your sales pitch, etc. But you've got to position yourself for that favour by acting in obedience and walking uprightly. If you are willing to give God the glory, he will bless you beyond your ability and beyond your resources.

Soulfood: Est 1-4, John 19:18-42, Ps 105:23-36, Ecc 7:5-8

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:10am On Dec 15, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO WHAT GOD HAS TOLD YOU 5

Friday, 15th December, 2017

'God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise.' 1 Corinthians 1:27 NIV

As long as you need man's approval, God is limited in what he can do through you. Faith is the willingness to look foolish. That's why faith and humility go hand in hand. Noah looked foolish building an ark in the desert. Moses looked foolish asking Pharaoh to let his slaves go. The Israelite army looked foolish marching round Jericho blowing trumpets. David looked foolish attacking Goliath with a slingshot. The wise men looked foolish following a star. Peter looked foolish stepping out of the boat in the middle of a storm. And Jesus looked foolhardy hanging on the cross.

But the results speak for themselves, don't they? Noah stayed afloat during the flood. Moses delivered Israel out of Egypt. The walls of Jericho came tumbling down. David defeated Goliath. The wise men found the Messiah. Peter walked on water. And Jesus rose from the dead.

There comes a moment when you must quit hedging your bets, quit playing it safe and doing what you've always done. You need to build the ark, or at least plant some trees or saw some planks! Faith is acting as if God has already answered our prayers, and acting as if God has answered means acting on our prayers even if, as in the case of Noah, it takes over a century. Jesus said, 'Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours' (Mark 11:24 NIV). What has God told you to do? Start doing it!

Soulfood: Est 5-10, John 20:1-31, Ps 105:37-45, Ecc 7:9-12

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:48am On Dec 16, 2017
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO WHAT GOD HAS TOLD YOU 6

Saturday, 16th December, 2017

'You need to persevere.' Hebrews 10:36 NIV

Try to imagine what life on the ark must have been like for Noah. He probably didn't get much sleep. He was feeding, cleaning and caring for thousands of animals around the clock. And it must have smelled to high heaven. Did you know that African elephants produce 40 kg of waste per day? It was smelly and messy. And that's a pretty accurate picture of what obedience sometimes looks like. It's hard work, and it gets harder.

The blessings of God can complicate your life. But unlike sin, they bring a level of joy and fulfilment you have never known (see Proverbs 10:22). No matter what vision God has given you, it will take longer and be harder than you ever imagined. Noah offers a little reality check, doesn't he? If a decade sounds like a long time to patiently pursue a God-ordained passion, try more than ten!

It's amazing what God can do if you just keep hammering away year after year! We tend to overestimate what we can accomplish in a year, but we underestimate what God can accomplish in a decade. The key is to be a planner and a plodder. Planners see into the future and cast a vision; plodders put one foot in front of the other and keep going one day at a time. Success is not just about getting where God wants you to go, it's about who you become in the process. It's crossing the finish line the way the apostle Paul did: 'I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful' (2 Timothy 4:7 NLT). So, do what God has told you.

Soulfood: Job 1-4, John 21:1-25, Ps 57, Ecc 7:13-15

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Musa Dikwa Apologises To Oritsejafor & Oyedepo Over N7 Billion Allegation / Pastor Impregnates Two Sisters In Lagos (pictured) / Father Mbaka Escapes Assassination, Shot At By Gunmen - Adoration Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.