Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

The Word For Today - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30380 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:04am On May 24, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE WORD FOR MULTI-TASKERS

Friday, 24th May, 2019

'But Martha was very busy and distracted.' Luke 10:40 AMP

One of the great buzzwords of this generation is multitasking. Used properly, it can make you more productive. Used wrongly, such as trying to text someone while you're driving, it can kill you. You will not enjoy today, or the gifts it contains, if you don't have a balanced attitude towards work.

One day Jesus visited the home of two sisters, Mary and Martha. What a contrast! Martha was 'very busy and distracted', while Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and soaked up everything he had to say. She was determined not to miss this precious moment. And Jesus said Mary made a better choice than Martha did. Now, he didn't tell Martha not to work; he told her to stop getting frustrated and having a bad attitude while she worked. Jesus wants you to work hard, but he also wants you to be wise enough to realise when you should stop all activity and not miss the miracle of his presence in the moment.

The Bible says, 'focus on what you are doing' (Ecclesiastes 5:1 AMP). In other words, train yourself to focus your full attention on what you are involved in at any given time. Then finish it before starting something else. This kind of concentration requires discipline, but it's worth it because being able to focus helps you enjoy the present moment. Breaking the bad habit of excessive multitasking may sound easy, but it's actually quite difficult. So be determined to form new, balanced habits in this area. When you do, the quality of your life will improve.

Soulfood: 1 Ki 16:1-34 1 Ki 17 1 Ki 18:1-15.
Mark 9:30-37 Ps 108 Pro 12:14.

Credit: Grace So Amazing Foundation

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:06am On May 25, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

KEEP TRUSTING GOD

Saturday, 25th May, 2019

'He who has begun a good work in you will complete it.' Philippians 1:6 NKJV

When Mark Matousek told people that a potentially fatal disease had saved his life, they didn't understand. He wasn't glad he got sick. But without it, he'd never have discovered and tapped into the strength to confront and overcome some of his core fears. He writes: 'Hardship can be the blood in muscles that pushes us forward. Crisis takes us to the brink and forces us to keep moving. When people call it a blessing, they're describing a paradox...[Crisis can make us] come alive as never before.'

The truth is, God is committed to your spiritual growth: 'He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Christ' (Philippians 1:6 NKJV). And along the way you'll be tested, sometimes to your limits.

One author writes: 'Spiritual tests try our faith and commitment. Remember Abraham and Isaac? Nothing makes us prouder than seeing our children succeed, and God had great plans for Isaac. What could possibly go wrong? A lot! We've stood in Abraham's sandals and clung to God's promises, yet sickness lingers, financial troubles invade, friends betray us, and death calls. Abraham responded with trust and commitment. It wasn't easy for him...we know the outcome; he didn't. Yet he was prepared to take his son's life. God never wanted Isaac's death...He wants our whole and committed hearts. When trials don't make sense...He promises to set limits...to walk with us and bring forth good.'

Soulfood: 1 Ki 18:16-46 1 Ki 19 1 Ki 20:1-43 Mark 9:38-50 Ps 113 Pro 12:15-17.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:48am On May 28, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LEARN TO BE CONTENT

Tuesday, 28th May, 2019

'I have learned how to be content.' Philippians 4:11 NLT

When you aim to grow and achieve things in life, these are commendable goals. But when you covet what someone else has or want to be just like them, you're entering into territory that's forbidden by Scripture. Contentment does not mean you should become complacent or settle for mediocrity and fail to achieve your God-given potential in life. Not at all! You're supposed to work to improve yourself, while at the same time remaining totally dependent on God (see 2 Corinthians 3:5).

Self-sufficiency means to be 'sufficient in one's self' instead of putting your faith in God's assistance. Contentment, on the other hand, is to know with certainty and firm conviction that God is able to meet your every need (see Philippians 4:19). When you understand that truth, you don't have to covet anyone else's position, property, possessions or personality. Why? Because you're assured that all you presently have, and all you are today, is more than enough in the hands of God. Whatever you need to do to fulfil his will you can do, not in your own strength but in the strength and power of Christ who dwells within your innermost being.

Covetousness comes to us all naturally, but contentment must be learned. Paul writes: 'I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength' (Philippians 4:11-13 NLT).

Soulfood: Rev 1-4 Mark 10:13-22 Ps 117 Pro 12:20-22.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:40am On May 29, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON'

Wednesday, 29th May, 2019

'Continue in the grace of God.' Acts 13:43 NKJV

In the days leading up to World War II, the British government commissioned a series of posters. The idea was to capture encouraging slogans and distribute them throughout the country. Capital letters in a distinct typeface were used, and a simple two-colour format selected. The only graphic was the crown of King George VI.

The first poster was distributed in September of 1939: YOUR COURAGE. YOUR CHEERFULNESS. YOUR RESOLUTION WILL BRING US VICTORY. Soon thereafter a second poster was produced: FREEDOM IS IN PERIL. DEFEND IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT. These two posters appeared on railway platforms and in pubs, shops and restaurants. A third poster was created but it was never distributed. More than 2.5 million copies were printed yet never seen until nearly sixty years later, when a bookshop owner in north-east England discovered one in a box of old books he had purchased at an auction. It read: KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON. It bore the same crown and style of the first two posters. It was never released to the public, however, but held in reserve for an extreme crisis, such as invasion by Germany. The bookshop owner framed it and hung it on the wall. It became so popular that the bookshop began producing identical images of the original design on coffee mugs, postcards and posters.

It's the same message Paul and Barnabas brought to the first Christians in Antioch: 'Continue in the grace of God' (Acts 13:43 NKJV). Or in other words, 'Keep calm and carry on!'

Soulfood: Rev 5-9 Mark 10:23-34 Ps 121 Pro 12:23-24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:35am On May 30, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SPEND MORE TIME IN PRAYER

Thursday, 30th May, 2019

'Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.' 1 Chronicles 16:11 NIV

In Catherine Marshall's book, A Closer Walk, her husband Leonard LeSourd writes about the beginning of their marriage. 'Catherine had huge adjustments to make. She sold her Washington dream house to move to Chappaqua, so I could continue to commute to my job at Guideposts in New York City. My children - Linda, ten; Chester, six; Jeffrey, three - had been through a deeply unsettling two years, adjusting to a variety of housekeepers. They had mixed feelings towards moving into a new house, and especially towards "the new mommy that Daddy's bringing home". Catherine's son Peter, who was nineteen, was going through a period of rebellion at Yale...Catherine and I had so many things to pray about that we began to rise an hour early each morning to read the Bible and seek answers together. Her current journal lay open beside us in these predawn prayer times, recording our changing needs, and his unchanging faithfulness.'

As the pressures of life mount, you need to pray more, not less. Jesus rose before dawn to pray. Sometimes he prayed all night. Other times he left the demands of the crowd to pray. Why? Because your power, peace, joy and effectiveness are directly related to the time you spend in prayer.

Then why don't we pray daily? For the same reason people join a gym in January and quit by February. Prayer requires discipline that only you can put in place. But it brings great rewards. Hymnist Fanny Crosby wrote: 'Oh, the pure delight of a single hour, that before thy throne I spend. When I kneel in prayer, and with thee my God, I commune as friend with friend.'

Soulfood: Luke 24:50-53 Acts 1:1-11 Eph 4:7-10.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:18am On May 31, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SHARE IT WITH THEM

Friday, 31st May, 2019

'Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give...will never thirst.' John 4:14 NKJV

One day the Pharisees asked Jesus, 'Why do you eat and drink with such scum' (Luke 5:30 NLT)? Such contempt - and from those who should have been the first to show love and compassion! Jesus loved people; look how he dealt with the woman at the well. First, he broke the rules. Jews didn't mix with Gentiles, and they certainly didn't associate with her kind. (She'd been divorced five times.) Jesus walked for miles to meet this woman. He went into her world to bring her into his. He mixed with her not to take advantage of her or become like her, but to reach, redeem and restore her. That's why he's called 'a friend of...sinners' (Matthew 11:19 NKJV). Could people say that about you?

Second, he broke the ice. Jesus talked about what she was interested in - water. You must start where people are, not where you think they should be. You must use words they understand. And get over your fear of rejection. You may lose face if they say no, but think what they'll lose if they never have a chance to say yes to the Gospel.

Third, he broke the news. He offered her living water instead of dead religion. How can you say you love someone and not share the greatest thing you ever found - salvation? Everybody you meet is hung up on the past, anxious about the future, or in need of a real friend. Once you find which door they're behind, walk through it with love and sensitivity. They're thirsty for 'the living water'. Share it with them.

Soulfood: Rev 10-14 Mark 10:35-52 Ps 4 Pro 12:25.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:48am On Jun 01, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY FROM YOUR HEART

Saturday, 1st June, 2019

'When you pray, don't be like those show-offs.' Matthew 6:5 CEV

Jesus said the Pharisees turned prayer into a public performance, and that God wasn't moved by it. Author John Ortberg points out five things about the Pharisees: '(1) Their prayers had become a shallow exercise rather than a deep relationship-building one. (2) They were rituals, rather than authentic expressions of a loving heart. (3) They were long and wordy, designed to impress others. (4) They were filled with meaningless clich?s. (5) They became a cause for pride rather than an opportunity to express humble reliance on God.'

Can you imagine your child approaching you with a whole bunch of religious 'thee's' and 'thou's'? How would it make you feel? When it comes to prayer, Jesus said: 'When you pray, you should go into your room and close the door and pray to your Father who cannot be seen. Your Father can see what is done in secret, and he will reward you. And when you pray, don't be like those people who don't know God. They continue saying things that mean nothing, thinking that God will hear them because of their many words. Don't be like them, because your Father knows the things you need before you ask him' (Matthew 6:6-8 NCV).

You can pray anywhere, at any time: in your car, in the bathroom, lying in bed, while you're exercising or at work. All God asks is that you be spontaneous, personal and honest. In other words, pray from your heart.

Soulfood: Rev 15-18 Mark 11:1-11 Ps 124 Pro 12:26.

Happy New Month!

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DIFFERENT WAYS TO PRAY 1

Sunday, 2nd June, 2019

'The Spirit prays for God's people.' Romans 8:27 CEV

Someone who's better at prayer than you are is already at work on your behalf. 'In certain ways we are weak, but the Spirit is here to help us. For example, when we don't know what to pray for, the Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot be put into words. All of our thoughts are known to God. He can understand what is in the mind of the Spirit, as the Spirit prays for God's people' (Romans 8:26-27 CEV). Notice, the Holy Spirit 'prays for God's people'.

Sometimes we've a hard time with being 'fully present' in prayer. We all know what it's like to be with another person when their mind is a million miles away. What's the answer? Try jotting down what goes on while you're praying. The two most common hindrances to praying successfully are: (a) your mind gets easily distracted by other thoughts; (b) you get tired. When author John Ortberg shared these two frustrations with a friend, he suggested that John go outside alone and simply invite Jesus to come along with him. Ortberg writes: 'The next day I went to the ocean, took off my shoes, started to run and invited Jesus to come along. I found the strangest thing. When I thought I was supposed to be talking to him, I found it effortful and difficult. Now that all I had to do was invite him, I couldn't stop thinking about him. My mind kept reflecting on him being with me. I found myself wanting to point out the pelicans and the waves to him. People and concerns would pop into my mind, and I would find myself telling Jesus about them. Everything changed.'

So, invite Jesus to come along with you today and share each thing with him.

Soulfood: Exo 20:16 Deut 19:15-20 Rev 21:8.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:36am On Jun 03, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DIFFERENT WAYS TO PRAY 2

Monday, 3rd June, 2019

'Hezekiah received the letter...and spread it out before the Lord.' Isaiah 37:14 NIV

Hezekiah, King of Israel, received a threatening letter from a much more powerful king - the King of Assyria. The Assyrian potentate demanded unconditional surrender, and told Hezekiah not to trust in God. The letter was graphic, warning that resistance meant the Israelites would have to 'eat their own excrement and drink their own urine' before they died (2 Kings 18:27 NIV).

So Hezekiah went to the temple 'and spread it out before the Lord'. Then he prayed: 'God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made Heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see' (Isaiah 37:16-17 NIV). Hezekiah literally said, 'Lord, would you read this, then do something about it!' And God did. Indeed, what he did was spectacular. 'Then the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning - there were all the dead bodies' (Isaiah 37:36 NIV)!

So, what piece of paper would you like to spread out before the Lord? A financial statement that's overwhelming? A divorce decree? A medical diagnosis? An angry email? Any piece of paper that causes you stress can be an invitation to prayer, and a candidate to be spread out before the Lord. If it's important to you, it's important to him. You say, 'I've never done anything like that before.' Try it. Give it to God, trust him, and watch how he works things out for you.

Soulfood: Rev 19-22 Mark 11:12-26 Ps 129 Pro 12:27-28.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:27am On Jun 04, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DIFFERENT WAYS TO PRAY 3

Tuesday, 4th June, 2019

'I lay prostrate before the Lord.' Deuteronomy 9:25 NIV

Find a prayer style that works for you. In Scripture people pray as they stand, kneel, lie on the ground, sit, stretch out their hands, lift their faces toward the sky or bow them toward the earth. Just find the method that works best for you, and use it.

Some people pray better when they are moving. If you're one of them, take a walk, go for a drive, or run. You are free to use your body and posture to help you turn your mind and heart towards God. When you're acknowledging your sins, you may find it helpful to have your head bowed and to kneel; it'll help you to remember and experience the humility of the moment. In worship, you may want to turn your face towards the sky. In asking for guidance, you may find it helpful to turn your palms upwards as a way of expressing with your body: 'Lord, whatever you want.' When praying for someone, say at a restaurant, you may want to look that person right in the eye while talking to God and say, 'Father, I'm so grateful for this person. You know what they need. Give them what is required by their heart.' When you're praising God, put on a worship CD and sing along.

The point is you should approach God with the joy, excitement and simplicity with which a child runs into the arms of a loving parent. Just as you don't have anyone else's fingerprints, you don't have anyone else's temperament. So just approach God in a way that's natural, spontaneous and comfortable for you.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 1:1-18 2 Ki 2 2 Ki 3 2Ki 4:1-17 Mark 11:27-33 Ps 1 Pro 13:1.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:35am On Jun 05, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DIFFERENT WAYS TO PRAY 4

Wednesday, 5th June, 2019

'He will call on me, and I will answer him' Psalm 91:15 NIV

When we try to spend an extended period of time in prayer, our minds tend to wander. When that happens, is God upset with us? No, when your mind wanders - God's Spirit is still with you. Sometimes your wandering thoughts can actually guide you into prayer.

One author writes: 'I begin praying, and then I imagine myself being wildly successful at something. Or I replay a conversation with a person I'm upset with. Or I try to figure out how to solve a problem I'm worried about. I used to think of those kinds of thoughts as obstacles to prayer, but I've come to think of them as prayers waiting to be offered. Maybe the reason they pop into my mind isn't simply my short attention span, but rather what my mind is really concerned about. So instead of trying to suppress these thoughts, it's better to begin to talk to God about them. And just like that, I'm back in the flow of prayer. Indeed, we are free to pray in ways that will best help us live in the joyful awareness of God's presence.' Obviously, thoughts like getting your hair done or your car fixed are distractions. When these arise, just write them down and say, 'I'll get to that later,' then get back to prayer.

Developing a rich and rewarding prayer life isn't something you accomplish overnight; you have to work at it. But the rewards are more than worth the effort. You're not unique; everybody battles distractions in prayer. Those who succeed are those who learn to deal with the distractions.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 4:18-44 2 Ki 5 2 Ki 6:1-33 Mark 12:1-12 Ps 48 Pro 13:2-3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:13am On Jun 06, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A PRAYER FOR YOUR CHILDREN

Thursday, 6th June, 2019

'Children are a heritage from the Lord.' Psalm 127:3 NKJV

When someone loves you enough to leave you an inheritance, you should treasure it and treat it in a way that honours them.

The Bible says that your children are a 'heritage' from the Lord. So here's a prayer for them: 'Lord, I cannot begin to tell you how blessed and grateful I am for my children. I recognise each of them as a beautiful gift from you. You have given them to me to love and care for, to enjoy and celebrate, to delight in and raise so that they may come to know you as the greatest heritage of all. Thank you that no one, not even me, can ever be as good to them as you are. Because you have given me the privilege and responsibility of bringing them to you, teach me the importance of lifting them up before you each day in prayer. Keep them in the centre of your love and designed purpose. Bless them with the knowledge of who you are. Help them to put their trust in you and stay on the path of life you have for them. Enable them to recognise the gifts and the calling that you have put in them, and to follow your leading as you develop them and use them for your glory. Make your face shine upon them, your grace be with them, and your love abound in them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.'

Are your children serving the Lord? If not, stand on this Bible promise: '"There is hope in your future," says the Lord, "that your children shall come back to their own border [the principles they were taught]"' (Jeremiah 31:17 NKJV).

Soulfood: 2 Ki 7-9 Mark 12:13-27 Ps 132:1-10 Pro 13:4-6.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:29am On Jun 07, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE ULTIMATE PURPOSE OF PRAYER

Friday, 7th June, 2019

'To be conformed to the likeness of his Son.' Romans 8:29 NIV

'Those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son' (Romans 8:29 NIV). When you read the preceding verses in the chapter you discover God does this through prayer. This should encourage you to pray.

Many times we don't pray because we don't think anything's happening. But with God, something's always happening! We wonder, 'When is he going to work?' What we fail to understand is - he's always working. When it comes to prayer he's either answering the way you hoped, or changing your heart through the Spirit's intercession to bring your prayer into harmony with his will. You say, 'But I don't see anything happening.' When you plant a seed, you don't come back the next day expecting green shoots and leaves. Does that mean nothing's happening? No, a host of necessary processes are taking place below the ground where you can't see them. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you don't see the evidence, there's nothing happening. It's just not harvest time yet.

One way in which God is making us more like Jesus is by helping us to pray the way Jesus prayed, 'Not my will, but yours be done' (Luke 22:42 NIV). That means when your prayer lines up with his will, he's already working on it even though you can't see it. And if your prayer isn't in accordance with his will, he's working to change your request by changing you. Unanswered prayer can be as big a blessing as answered prayer, when it keeps us from violating God's will. And what is God's will? To make you more like Jesus!

Soulfood: 2 Ki 10-12 Mark 12:28-44 Ps 132:11-18 Pro 13:7-8.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:18am On Jun 08, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TODAY SHARE YOUR FAITH

Saturday, 8th June, 2019

'A woman of Samaria came to draw water.' John 4:7 NKJV

One day Jesus met a woman who'd come to draw water from a well. After five failed marriages, her trust in men was zero - and her self-esteem was minus zero! But after her encounter with Christ, she left the well radically changed.

When it comes to sharing our faith, we learn three important lessons from her story: (1) Jesus sees the best in everybody. 'The Pharisees...complained, saying, "This man receives sinners"' (Luke 15:2 NKJV). And when it came to the woman at the well, they were right. She'd been through five divorces and was the talk of the town because she was living with another man. Yet she was the first person to whom Jesus introduced himself as the Messiah. Why didn't he do that when he called his disciples? Or performed his first miracle? Or interviewed Nicodemus? Because Jesus doesn't measure you by your past or your pedigree - but by your potential. (2) Jesus changes you, then he uses you to change others. This woman was the first person to share the Gospel in Samaria, and 'many...Samaritans...believed in him because of the word of the woman' (John 4:39 NKJV). Out of your brokenness, God can use you to make others whole. (3) Jesus doesn't need you to explain him, just to introduce him. He speaks for himself. The Bible says: 'Many more believed because of his own word...They said to the woman, "Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard him and we know that this is indeed the Christ"' (John 4:41-42 NKJV).

Today share your faith with someone.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 13-15 Mark 13:1-11 Ps 143 Pro 13:9-10.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:51pm On Jun 09, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY THAT GOD WILL OPEN THEIR HEART

Sunday, 9th June, 2019

'As she listened to us, the Lord opened her heart.' Acts 16:14 NLT

Some of us think that successful people are difficult to win to Christ because they don't have the same needs as others. But they do. Everyone has an emptiness within them that only God can fill, and he wants to use you to fill it.

Consider the story of Lydia. 'One of them was Lydia from Thyatira, a merchant of expensive purple cloth...As she listened to us, the Lord opened her heart, and she accepted what Paul was saying. She and her household were baptised, and she asked us to be her guests. "If you agree that I am a true believer in the Lord," she said, "come and stay at my home." And she urged us until we agreed' (Acts 16:14-15 NLT). Not only did Lydia respond to the Gospel, she opened her home so that others could come and hear it too. In many cases it's easier to reach successful people with the Gospel. Why? Because they know that to be successful you must be open to new ideas and concepts. And they understand that in order to enjoy continued success, you must stay open to change.

Don't let the fact that someone is not your social peer keep you from telling them about Jesus. Note the words, 'As she listened to us, the Lord opened her heart.' It's your job to tell them, and it's God's job to open their heart! So, sow the seed of his Word into their life when you have an opportunity, and believe that the 'Lord of the harvest' will do the rest.

Soulfood: Lev 23:15-22 Acts 2:1-18.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:10am On Jun 11, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'YOUR FATHER'S GOT YOU'

Tuesday, 11th June, 2019

'No one can steal them out of my hand.' John 10:28 NCV

On a hot Florida afternoon, a little boy swimming in the lake behind his house didn't see the alligator that was following him. His father, who was gardening, saw it and yelled to his son to turn back. Too late! Just as the boy reached his dad, the alligator reached the boy. In an incredible tug-of-war the father grabbed his son's arms while the alligator snatched his legs. The alligator was determined, but the father was too passionate to let go. A farmer driving by heard the screaming, leaped from his truck, and shot the reptile. Remarkably, the boy survived, and after weeks in the hospital he was interviewed by the local paper. He showed the reporter the terrible scars on his legs, then with obvious pride he added, 'I've got great scars on my arms too because my dad held me and wouldn't let go!'

Jesus said, 'No one can steal [you]...out of my hand' (John 10:28 NCV). It's not that the enemy won't try. He'll make you think you're so far from God that there's no way home. He'll send others to attack you with discouragement and guilt. He'll tempt you to walk away from God. You may even make poor choices that leave you spiritually and emotionally scarred, but when you belong to God no one can have you! No circumstances can take you away from his love (see Romans 8:38). No consequence can steal you from the hand of your Father.

'Your Father's got you!' Let those powerful words of assurance give you peace.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 18:17-37 2 Ki 19 2 Ki 20:1-21 Mark 13:24-37 Ps 80:12-19 Pro 13:13-16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Zionmedia: 9:28am On Jun 11, 2019
Today 11th of June,open your heart and mind to receive today declarations
Isaiah 25:8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.
Therefore I declare, the Lord will wipe away your tears from today in Jesus name. Every secret tears causing your heart sorrowful and sleepless night shall be wiped in jesus name.I invite the Holy spirit to comfort you in every areas you are depressed in Jesus Name. From this Hour,The Joy of the Lord will be your strength from today in Jesus name. Amen.
Good morning
Have a nice day.
© I decree I declare and I prophesy
Re: The Word For Today by Zionmedia: 9:30am On Jun 11, 2019
Isaiah 25:8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.
Therefore I declare, the Lord will wipe away your tears from today in Jesus name. Every secret tears causing your heart sorrowful and sleepless night shall be wiped in jesus name.I invite the Holy spirit to comfort you in every areas you are depressed in Jesus Name. From this Hour,The Joy of the Lord will be your strength from today in Jesus name. Amen.
Good morning
Have a nice day.
© I decree I declare and I prophesy[color=#770077][/color]
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:14am On Jun 12, 2019
Zionmedia:
Good morning
Have a nice day.
© I decree I declare and I prophesy[color=#770077][/color]

Amen!
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:15am On Jun 12, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY FOR 'WISDOM FROM ABOVE'

Wednesday, 12th June, 2019

'The wisdom from above is...peace loving.' James 3:17 NLT

Some people seem to thrive on conflict. They are always picking on others, arguing, disagreeing or trying to get something started. They fight just for the sport of it, not because they passionately believe in a particular cause. They are quick to jump in and expend their energy fighting other people's battles in which they have no stake. These people seem confident but they make poor decisions, so others learn to ignore them and not take them seriously. They need to 'always win' in order to feel good about themselves.

When it comes to your relationships with others, you need 'wisdom from above'. When you have it, you won't need to put everyone else on the mat just to show how strong or smart you are. True self-confidence, including confidence in your ability to make good decisions, comes from within. 'The wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and...good deeds. It shows no favouritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness' (James 3:17-18 NLT).

When you operate according to these scriptural principles, you'll know whether or not a battle is worthy of your attention. If you keep your eyes on the prize that God has set before you, you'll realise that some things simply aren't worth your time and attention. As a result, you'll make better decisions about your life as well as your relationships.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 21-23 Mark 14:1-11 Ps 73:1-16 Pro 13:17-19.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:27am On Jun 13, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED BADLY

Thursday, 13th June, 2019

'The ancient prophets were treated that way too.' Luke 6:23 TLB

When you've been treated badly, always ask yourself, 'What can I learn from this experience? How do I respond in a more Christlike manner? Am I willing to acknowledge my mistakes? How can I grow wiser and handle similar experiences better in the future?'

When all is said and done, the answer to misunderstanding is forgiveness. Now, forgiveness doesn't mean you necessarily agree with or want a close relationship with the person who mistreated you. But it does mean that you let it go. When you bury the hatchet, don't leave the handle sticking up! In other words, don't just forgive - choose to forget! Ralph Waldo Emerson said, 'To be great is to be misunderstood.' And here's an even better statement: 'To be greater is to forgive the one who has treated you badly.'

Paul refers to the Christian life as 'the upward call of God' (Philippians 3:14 ESV). So take the upper road! What does that road look like? Jesus tells us: 'Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in Heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets' (Luke 6:22-23 NIV). By living this way, you also take back your power by refusing to let another person dictate your mood and your outlook, and you keep your joy.

Soulfood: 2 Ki 24-25 Mark 14:12-26 Ps 73:17-28 Pro 13:20.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:25am On Jun 14, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TRUE HUMILITY

Friday, 14th June, 2019

'[He] gives grace to the humble.' 1 Peter 5:5 NLT

There are two kinds of humility mentioned in Scripture: (1) False humility. Paul writes, 'Do not let anyone who delights in false humility...disqualify you' (Colossians 2:18 NIV). Whether it's in your manner of dress, your speech or your behaviour, anything that draws attention to you and away from Christ is displeasing to God. (2) True humility. Truly humble people don't take offence easily or fight back; they turn the other cheek. And yet their humility is not cowardice, for true humility requires courage. It makes you willing to take a lower place than you deserve, to keep quiet about your merits, and to bear slights, insults and false accusations for the sake of a higher purpose. True humility doesn't make you think less of yourself, it just makes you think of yourself less.

Peter addresses the subject of humility in these words: 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honour' (1 Peter 5:5-6 NLT). The story's told of a guy who entered a contest to see who was the most humble. When he won, he was given a badge of merit - but then he wore it and was disqualified!

Seriously, pride disqualifies you from enjoying the favour of God. That's why you need to remind yourself regularly: 'Everything I am, I owe to God; everything I have, came from God. To him be all the glory.'

Soulfood: Hosea 1-5 Mark 14:27-42 Ps 139:1-6 Pro 13:21-23.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:40am On Jun 15, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WITH DETERMINATION AND GOD'S HELP YOU'LL WIN

Saturday, 15th June, 2019

'It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect.' Psalm 18:32 NKJV

In her autobiography, singer Dolly Parton says: 'My high school was small, so during graduation each of us got a chance to stand up and announce our plans for the future. "I'm going to junior college," one boy would say. "I'm getting married and moving to Maryville," a girl would follow. When my turn came I said, "I'm going to Nashville to become a star." The entire place erupted in laughter. I was stunned. Somehow, though, that laughter instilled in me an even greater determination to realise my dream. I might have crumbled under the weight of the hardships that were to come, had it not been for the response of the crowd that day. Sometimes it's funny the way we find inspiration.'

Every hero in Scripture, without exception, overcame obstacles and opposition. David writes: 'They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; he delivered me because he delighted in me... For by you I can run against a troop, by my God I can leap over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; he is a shield to all who trust in him... It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places... For you have armed me with strength for the battle; you have subdued under me those who rose up against me' (Psalm 18:18-19, 29-30, 32-33, 39 NKJV).

Soulfood: Hosea 6-10 Mark 14:43-52 Ps 139:7-12 Pro 13:24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:34pm On Jun 16, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A FATHER'S PRAYER

Sunday, 16th June, 2019

'Manoah prayed..."tell us what to do for the son we are going to have."' Judges 13:8 CEV

The following prayer was written by General Douglas MacArthur, a hero of World War II, on behalf of his son whom he loved dearly. If you're a parent you may want to use it as the basis for your own prayers for your children:

'Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory. Build me a son whose wishbone will not be where his backbone should be; a son who will know you...Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for those who fail. Build me a son whose heart will be clean, whose goal will be high; a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men; one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the lessons of the past. And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humour, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength. Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain."'

Soulfood: Matt 28:16-20 2 Cor 13:14 John 1:18 John 15:18-26.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:50am On Jun 17, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

BE AN 'UP' PERSON

Monday, 17th June, 2019

'[He] raised us up... and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.' Ephesians 2:6 ESV

In order to become an 'up' person, you must do these three things:

(1) Expand your concept of God. How? By reading his Word and getting to know him better. Be like the little boy in Sunday school whose teacher asked what he was drawing. He replied, 'God!' The teacher said, 'But nobody knows what God's like.' Confidently he replied, 'They will when I'm finished!' What is your God like? Loving or judgmental? Distant or available? Limited or powerful? Your concept of God will determine your confidence in him, so spend time getting to know him. (2) Recognise Satan's limitations. The devil is the world's oldest loser, a former employee of Heaven who got fired because of arrogance and who is headed for destruction. And the only power he has over you is the power you give him by remaining 'ignorant of his devices' (2 Corinthians 2:11 NKJV). The Bible says, 'Submit to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you' (James 4:7 NKJV). You have power over Satan - use it. (3) See yourself as God sees you. He sees you not just as you are, but as you will be. If you've been conditioned by past experiences to see yourself as worthless, starting now you can change your self-image by believing what God says about you in his Word. When you have his opinion, what else matters? (read Jeremiah 29:11; Isaiah 43:1-3; Ephesians 2:6).

As you work on these three things each day, you'll become an 'up' person in a 'down' world.

Soulfood: Hosea 11-14 Mark 14:53-65 Ps 139:13-24 Pro 13:25.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:02am On Jun 18, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW BIG IS YOUR GOD

Tuesday, 18th June, 2019

'The battle is the Lord's...he will give you into our hands.' 1 Samuel 17:47 NKJV

How you handle life depends on how big you believe God is. If he's too small: (1) You'll live in constant anxiety thinking everything depends on you. (2) Your outlook will be dictated by your surroundings - or worse, your critics. (3) Without the acceptance of a loving God you'll be a slave to people's opinions. (4) You'll constantly crave recognition because you don't understand that 'your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you' (Matthew 6:4 NAS).

Author John Ortberg says that when we make the mistake of shrinking God, we 'offer prayer without faith, work without passion, service without joy and suffering without hope - which results in fear, retreat, loss of vision and failure to persevere.' When Goliath threatened the Israelites, 'they were dismayed and greatly afraid' (1 Samuel 17:11 ESV). They didn't think their God was big enough for the job. But not David! 'Let no one's heart fail...your servant will...fight...this Philistine... The Lord...who rescued me from...the lion and...bear, will rescue me' (1 Samuel 17:32, 37 ESV). You can face anything when you know what David knew - 'the battle is the Lord's'. And he's never lost one yet!

So, you don't have to depend on your own resources. David may have felt small, but he knew his God was big enough for the job. Do you know that? Eighteenth-century Anglican clergyman John Newton said, 'If the Lord be with us we have no cause for fear. His eye is upon us, his arm over us, his ear open to our prayer, his grace sufficient, [and] his promises unchangeable.' It all depends on how big your God is!

Soulfood: Jer 1-3 Mark 14:66-72 Ps 144:1-8 Pro 14:1-4.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:07am On Jun 19, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LEARN TO BE CONTENT

Wednesday, 19th June, 2019

'Godliness with contentment is great gain.' 1 Timothy 6:6 NKJV

When you talk about contentment, some people think you're against progress. No. Paul is saying contentment never comes from externals! Every twelve minutes, radio and television advertisers try to convince us that contentment isn't possible without their particular brand of product. Don't go for it! The desire for more can be insatiable. As long as you believe more is better, you'll never be satisfied. Why? Because you'll never live long enough to have it all! Just think; when you get something or achieve something, do you even take the time to enjoy it, or do you gallop off to the next thing without stopping?

To avoid getting old too soon and wise too late, read this Scripture: (1) 'We brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it' (1 Timothy 6:7 NLT). When you die and people ask, 'How much did they leave?' the answer will be 'everything' (including a legacy of good or bad). (2) 'Some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith' (1 Timothy 6:10 NLT). If your pursuit of material things is leaving no time for God, re-examine your priorities and start changing them while you still can. Stop thinking, 'If only I had a bigger house, a more understanding spouse, a particular job, a radical makeover, a higher IQ, or the acceptance of a particular person, I'd be happy.' It doesn't work that way.

The Bible says, 'This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it' (Psalm 118:24 NKJV).

Soulfood: Jer 4-6 Mark 15:1-20 Ps 144:9-15 Pro 14:5-8.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:02am On Jun 20, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW SATAN TEMPTS US

Thursday, 20th June, 2019

'He will show you how to escape from your temptations.' 1 Corinthians 10:13 CEV

Satan tried to get Jesus to succumb to three different kinds of temptation, and he'll try the same with you:

(1) Satisfaction without God. Knowing Christ was hungry, Satan told him to turn stones into bread. But Jesus said no because he knew God's plan was to feed and strengthen him supernaturally; he refused to settle for less - and you must too. (2) Success without God. Satan then took Jesus to the top of the temple and told him to jump off, saying God would send angels to protect him. But God's plan for Jesus was the cross, the resurrection, and the multitudes who would come to believe in him. Satan tried to get Jesus to settle for less, and he'll try the same with you. Don't take the bait! (3) Significance without God. Satan offered Jesus the kingdoms of this world if only he'd bow down and worship him. What an offer! Significance without God! But the fact is, the kingdoms of this world weren't Satan's to offer! So he lied to Jesus - and he will lie to you too. The way to lasting satisfaction is the way of the cross, which means sacrificing yourself. Jesus rebuked Satan with a reminder from Scripture that God alone is worthy to be glorified.

Understand this: Satan will take every legitimate desire you have and try to get you to fulfil it in an illegitimate way. But you can overcome him. How? By staying close to God and living in his Word, 'He will show you how to escape from your temptations' (1 Corinthians 10:13 CEV).

Soulfood: Jer 7-9 Mark 15:21-32 Ps 8 Pro 14:9-12.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:10am On Jun 21, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CHECK YOUR ATTITUDE

Friday, 21st June, 2019

'You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.' Philippians 2:5 NLT

A flying instructor will tell you that periodically your plane needs to be 'trimmed' or 'balanced in flight'. After flying through storms, it gets knocked out of alignment and needs to be adjusted. And the same thing happens on your spiritual journey. The storms of life can 'knock you out of alignment'. Unexpected 'weather conditions' like sickness, depression, unemployment, divorce, disappointment and death can force you to change direction and strategy. That's why your attitude needs to be regularly checked and adjusted.

So what are you dealing with that calls for an attitude check? Paul writes, 'You must have the same attitude...Jesus had' (Philippians 2:5 NLT). Is such a lifestyle possible? Yes, but you must make it a priority and pursue it each day. Joshua wanted to turn an army of complainers into an army that could conquer the Promised Land. So God gave him this formula for success: 'Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night...be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do' (Joshua 1:8 NLT).

Try this technique for working on your attitude: each week identify a Scripture that relates to an area in which you want to grow, write it down on a piece of card and memorise it. In one year you'll have fifty-two Scriptures you can recall and stand on. Think how that will impact your life! Not only will wrong attitudes become right attitudes, but your life will begin to move in the right direction.

Soulfood: Jer 10-13 Mark 15:33-47 Ps 17 Pro 14:13-16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:26am On Jun 22, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'GOOD SUCCESS'

Saturday, 22nd June, 2019

'Then you will have good success.' Joshua 1:8 NKJV

When Joshua became leader of Israel in place of Moses, God told him: 'This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success' (Joshua 1:8 NKJV).

There are two kinds of success: success that fulfils God's will for your life; and success that is temporal, can leave you feeling empty and dies when you die. Boris Becker, the world championship tennis player, reportedly contemplated suicide because of the sheer emptiness he experienced in life. Even though he appeared to be successful, he knew his life wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. 'I had won Wimbledon twice before, once as the youngest player,' he said. 'I was rich. I had all the material possessions I needed: money, cars, women, everything...I know this is a clich?. It is the old song of the movie and pop stars who commit suicide. They have everything and yet they are so unhappy...I had no inner peace. I was a puppet on a string.'

Someone once said, 'In whatever man does without God, he must fail miserably or succeed even more miserably.' Do you know why that statement is true? Because without God all success ends in failure [it doesn't satisfy]. Jesus' definition of a fool was this: 'Every man is a fool who gets rich on earth but not in Heaven' (Luke 12:21 TLB). 'Good success' is putting God in first place, and allowing him to put everything together for you.

Soulfood: Jer 14-17 Mark 16:1-20 Ps 21 Pro 14:17-20.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:14pm On Jun 23, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

ASK 'IS THERE A BETTER WAY'

Sunday, 23rd June, 2019

'The Lord will command the blessing on...all to which you set your hand.' Deuteronomy 28:8 NKJV

Almost anybody can spot the problem, discuss the problem and complain about the problem. But a solution-oriented person looks for ways to solve the problem.

James Murray Spangler was such a person. As a department store cleaner, he decided that the only way to overcome the boredom of his job, which consisted of sweeping floors, was to find a more innovative way to do it. Plus, he had the added incentive of being allergic to the dust he was sweeping every day. Then a thought came to him: 'Instead of sweeping up the dust, maybe there is a way to suck it up.' Where do such creative thoughts come from? God, our Creator. And since you are his offspring, he will share his ideas with you. Spangler's questions led him to invent a crude but workable vacuum cleaner. He then sought out an old friend in the leather business to finance the manufacturing of his invention. The man's name was W.H. Hoover. Not only did Hoover vacuum cleaners become very popular, but 'hoovering' became for at least one generation synonymous with sweeping floors.

Built into every obstacle is an opportunity; every question, an answer; every problem, a solution. So don't be afraid to question methods, systems and equipment and ask, 'Is there a better way?' The world has been enriched by people who dared to ask that question. And you can be such a person, for God promises to bless 'all to which you set your hand' (Deuteronomy 28:8 NKJV).

Soulfood: Exo 20:17 Ps 10 Jam 4:1-3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:43am On Jun 24, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LIVE A BALANCED LIFE

Monday, 24th June, 2019

'Let your moderation be known unto all men.' Philippians 4:5 KJV

To have a balanced life you must live by these two Scriptures: (1) 'God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him' (1 Peter 5:7 CEV). (2) 'Be on your guard and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack' (1 Peter 5:8 CEV). When you fail to do either of these two things, you've opened the door for Satan to attack you. Too much of anything, even a good thing, is a problem. For example, work is good. But too much of it causes stress, which can result in sickness, resentment, depression and the breakdown of your relationships. Food is good. But too much of it can lead to serious health problems. It's good to be organised. But if you become a perfectionist, you can drive yourself and everyone around you crazy.

Any area of your life that gets out of balance will rob you of the joy God wants you to have. Maintaining a life of balance is one of the biggest challenges you'll face. 'Let your moderation be known unto all men' (Philippians 4:5 KJV). If you're a highly driven personality, note the word 'moderation'. It means 'Don't go to extremes.' Pastor, excel in your ministry but don't neglect your family. Parent, don't just make a living, enjoy the people you're making it for. It is fine to care about your appearance, but don't be obsessed with your looks because they're not the true measure of your worth as a person.

Take a look at your life and ask, 'In what areas am I out of balance?' Then ask God to help you get back into balance.

Soulfood: Jer 18-21 Matt 1:1-25 Ps 59:1-8 Pro 14:21-22.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply)

Let's Study The Bible Daily And Finish It In One Year! / Father Mbaka Visits Woman Who Gave Birth To Quadruplets, Pays N1.5M Bill / Righteousness Exalts A Nation: One Thing Nigeria Could Learn From A Cat (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.